PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

Joram
07-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Hello all, just discovered this great forum, so I decided to make an account for myself. I'm an Urban designer, in the Netherlands, and my profession involves a lot of map maping and off course designing new Urban plans. I'm always interested in making a map nice, alive and readable and I think I'm in the right place for that. The diversity of programs used is big, Vectorworks, AutoCaD, Photoshop, Illustrator, sketchup and some 3dmax. I will be peaking a lot and perhaps in time I will be able to post some nice maps, designs and textures.

Keep up the the good work.

Steel General
07-22-2008, 06:43 AM
Welcome aboard Joram!

ravells
07-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks Joram. It's great to have you here. City maps are particularly tricky and hard work to get looking right. One of the (many) items on my to-do list is to write a tutorial as much for my own benefit as for others as to how one goes about drawing a convinging city. I really hope that you will contribute your thoughts to many of the city maps posted here. Your perspective would be invaluable.

If you have not heard it, I really recommend that you listen to this week's Food Programme on BBC radio 4 (you can hear it on the website here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/foodprogramme.shtml)). This week it was about how the availability and means of transport of food shapes the design of cities. It's a fascinating listen.

Cheers and welcome to the guild!

Joram
07-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks Joram. It's great to have you here. City maps are particularly tricky and hard work to get looking right. One of the (many) items on my to-do list is to write a tutorial as much for my own benefit as for others as to how one goes about drawing a convinging city. I really hope that you will contribute your thoughts to many of the city maps posted here. Your perspective would be invaluable.

If you have not heard it, I really recommend that you listen to this week's Food Programme on BBC radio 4 (you can hear it on the website here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/foodprogramme.shtml)). This week it was about how the availability and means of transport of food shapes the design of cities. It's a fascinating listen.

Cheers and welcome to the guild!

Sounds nice, when I'm at home I will listen to it. Not only food is a big cause for the new city shapes, work, cars, transport and parking has also a big influence. I know it's hard to make a nice city map, especially in my line of work where time is of the essence.

NeonKnight
07-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Welcome aboard!