PDA

View Full Version : [CG Choice Map] Fantasy Renaissance City

Lingon
12-13-2013, 06:13 AM
Just finished my first city map! It was a commission for the writer Marc Wilson, who I'm very, very grateful to for trusting me to make this map without any other cities in my portfolio. As always, ink and watercolors for the landscape/city, and Photoshop for the labels. The font is Roman Antique by Dieter Steffmann. I also used PS to assemble the cartouches, from painted and scanned sections.

Maybe you'll notice on the compass that the map is flipped… That was a decision we made to be able to keep the shape from Marc's sketch, which was in a standing A format, but still make it a double page spread in the book. If I remember my cartography history correctly, it was during the renaissance that it became popular to orient maps with north up, so i guess this map was drawn right in the transition period :D

- Max -
12-13-2013, 06:23 AM
Nice job Lingon.

Azelor
12-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Nice map !

SmilesAndGimps
12-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Very cool map! Especillay like the outskirt farms and that central harbor area. The difference in colors of the structures isn't clear to me, though... Is it supposed to be a different construction or denoting less importance? Just the lack of detail as compared to the brown rooves throws off my eye. Not a deal breaker, though, love this map!

arsheesh
12-13-2013, 05:56 PM
That turned out beautifully! Great colors and layout. Sadly I cannot rep you at this time, but you get full marks in my book!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Bogie
12-13-2013, 10:31 PM
I'll rep you since Arsheesh can't! ( his rep is worth more points than mine, but better than nothing!)

Great map, love the layout.

A.Woods
12-14-2013, 01:30 AM
Great job man, really surprised this is your first city map! Always enjoy the watercolour you have in your maps. Only thing that I can really that I can really say could be different is the asymmetry of the legend at the bottom. I would have preferred it to be centered and symmetrical, perhaps either by using a smaller font or making the frame bigger, but that's just me.

Lingon
12-14-2013, 06:17 AM
Thanks everyone, glad you like it! Didn't expect to get a rating of 5, that was a nice surprise this morning :D:blush:
@Smilesandgimps: You have a point about the different roofs… I was trying to show both lower significance and different roof type at once actually, but I should probably detail them a little more next time.
@A.Woods: I kinda like asymmetry :P But there is a thought behind it's placement/shape: I wanted to put all locations on the left side in the left cartouche and vice versa to make it easy to read the map, and there were more things on the right side and also more space in the sea to write on. And they are sort of centered, they have equal distance to the center measured from the inner edge of the cartouches :)

Bravo6
12-14-2013, 08:33 AM
I like the streets! Chaotic in the older sections of the town and more ordered in the newer sections. The story I read into it is the age of the city which started at the ocean's edge and grew from there.

foremost
12-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Wow, nice work :)

Maybe the building outlines could use improvement, but I like the colors.
Strange compass flip :P

Lingon
12-17-2013, 05:09 AM
Thanks, both of you :)
Foremost, yeah, you're right, I have to improve my brush control and make my lines neater. Working on it!

Veldehar
12-17-2013, 05:42 PM
The writer's faith in you was deserved, a damned fine map. Good feel and tone.

Clercon
12-18-2013, 03:52 AM
Lovely city map! And I guess this wont be your last city you make for a commission.

ravells
12-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Beautiful work!!! It presses all the right buttons for me.

Salama
12-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Lingon, this is one awesome city map!

cubby4ever445
12-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Wow, that's pretty cool. Great job! :)

Halbaffe
12-20-2013, 01:36 AM
Great, i love that style.

Lingon
12-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks guys! Very much appreciated!

Midgardsormr
05-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Stunning work. It reminds me of many of the maps published by ICE for their Middle Earth Roleplaying sourcebooks. I believe all of those were Pete Fenlon's work. The Choice award is well deserved!

The Photoshop typography, while well-done, is perhaps too perfect. Maybe you should look into ways of distressing and distorting the text slightly to better integrate it with the hand-drawn elements of the map. The coastlines, particularly the eastern portions of the river, are very well-defined, and I think in the future, if you could match that quality of rendering on city walls, particularly the outer boundary, that would help to clean up the zone border between the town and the countryside.

Do you use any kind of guide for circles? Some of the towers are a little oblong, but if they're free-hand, then I'd say they're actually remarkably round.

Malika
05-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Lovely, as others have said!

Lingon
05-03-2014, 04:45 AM
Thanks, Midgardsormr! I agree about the PS text, I have to work on that. I've tried some different ways, but I think it's really hard to make the text feel like it's really part of the map. I think the best way would be to write by hand instead, but typing is so much quicker… :/ But yeah, I'll try to improve that! I can't remember how I did the circles actually, but it probably was using a stencil for the pencil drawing, and then freehand when inking. I didn't want them too perfectly circular :)

Thanks Malika!

Jack Forge
09-15-2014, 05:50 PM
Nice work, what's the work going to be used for? (I tried googling Marc Wilson but came up pretty empty)