PDA

View Full Version : Wip - traennoer

Valderan
12-31-2013, 09:37 AM
Hi guys, this is my first "professional" map.

This is a sketch done by hand. In my projects the island will be divided into two and this should it be the north so everything will have to be very snowy and icy. Before the start of the lineart with photoshop you have any suggestions for me?

Azelor
12-31-2013, 11:40 AM
Firstly, you are a good drawer and I like your style. The thing that bother me is that some lines are way wider than other but I don't know if it just temporary? And the cliffs look odd at some places; along the coasts and also at the northern isthmus unless it is supposed to serve as a natural dam. Personally, I always had a hard time figuring out how to represent altitude variation with that style.

DarrelMorris
12-31-2013, 12:20 PM
Nice drawing. Personally, I like to see some variation in line thickness.

Valderan
01-01-2014, 05:56 AM
I hope to improve it. The lines are temporary, during the digitalization will make sure more uniform. Actually rechecking the comp I noticed the imperfections of the cliffs, thanks for letting me know, I will correct.
Do you have tips for the colors to use for soil? as I was saying the landscape will have to be very cold.

Valderan
01-01-2014, 11:54 AM
60023 this is what I have done until now

Domino44
01-01-2014, 03:20 PM
it's looking really good, I love the texture for your water area.

Azelor
01-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Personally and depending on what software you are using, I tend to combine multiple layers in order to have more variation (that’s for the texture. I needed to specify because it seems some people mix texture and color). About the color: For cold places I usually use cold white (with some blue) and a mix of blue and green for tundra and boreal forest. These are my tips.

Valderan
01-02-2014, 02:36 AM
Domino44 glad you like it :)

I actually divided the work into different levels, one for each component of the map.
One for the ocean, one for small icy shores, one for the outline of the island, one for the base color of the earth, one for the shaded frame, and now I'm working on a new level to the highland

Valderan
01-03-2014, 04:14 AM

I am not persuaded the realization of the plateau, have some suggestions for me or you think go so well?

- Max -
01-03-2014, 08:06 AM
The outline of coastlines and plateau looks very digitalized and a bit unnatural (to my tastes at least). Also the glaciers and the northern island is too stucked at the top of the map imho.

Valderan
01-03-2014, 09:12 AM
Max your opinion to me is the law. What do you suggest to make them more "natural"?

- Max -
01-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Assuming you don't have a graphic tablet, I'd say try to "draw" them with mouse using a very slightly soft edges round brush (that will avoid too pixellated look). Drawing them will give you more flexibility to give them some more natural look.

Valderan
01-03-2014, 11:50 AM
Unfortunately I do not have a tablet (but I'll have that soon) so I do everything with the mouse. I try now to refine the edges as you suggested.

- Max -
01-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Yes, you can easily make them jagged and more irregular, even with a mouse.

Valderan
01-09-2014, 12:58 PM
60219 The progress so far, few :?...but I hope at least are valid .... what do you think?

Valderan
01-23-2014, 01:23 PM
60603 Hello to all. I was not satisfied with the previous work, and I tried to change some things. I reworked the north edge of the island and I think I will do the same for all other edges. I used another style for the mountains and the highland.
But I have a difficulty in realizing the forests .... you have advice for me? and also if you have some advice about what I have done until now I will be happy to hear them.

HereBeLions
01-23-2014, 03:18 PM
What software are you using, Valderan? If you're using Photoshop, there's a slightly cheat-y way I know to get jagged edges with mostly perfect lines around them. Make a new layer, go around the edges of your landmasses with the lasso tool (standard lasso tool, not the polygonal or magnetic lasso) with rough movements to make the coastline look more natural, then once you've got a selection of all your land, fill it with one colour and double-click the layer. The layer styles box will come up; click to 'Outer Glow' and set the colour to black, and play with the settings until you have an outline you like. Once you've done that, you can alter the coast on the layer however you like, and you'll still have a clean black outline around it.

Valderan
01-24-2014, 04:28 AM
Hi HereBeLions, thanks for the advice that you gave me, I try now to change the borders as you suggested. :)