PDA

View Full Version : Irenar v3

eViLe_eAgLe
01-02-2014, 11:49 PM
A continuation of one of my worlds that I like to call the 'Splitting Paths' it was a previous campaign world of mine, and I just can't seem to stop coming back to it. This will most likely include a political map, a map of the deep underground, and the main one featured. My goal for this map is to have virtually no linework, except to use as a reference. I want it to be almost all shading, texture, or detail.

You can see generation one of the map here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/19271-irnar-new-land.html). The map of the land, fifty years after the first group of settlers landed at Uthar. The second group of settlers landed at Eroneth, both by different ethnic groups within the same empire, they began as great friends in the beginning. To the east, another smaller, colonization project was launched by the Japanese inspired kingdom of (Have not made the name yet.) The town they landed in was called (Westerners call Ryokko Rimthar, meaning rim colony.) Ryokko, named almost literally as the "Distant -Child" Of the mother empire. The Japanese inspired empire quickly abandoned that colonization effort, and turned more towards the the north-east, looking for a more suitable land that is less contested. They're responsible for most of the exploration on that part.
The end of this age of colonization was marked with the discovery of another sentient race - the Trobbes, they live in great mountainous caverns, and in the great cavern world deep within the earth. The ones who discovered this, was a newly created colony furthest towards the north - in what is now known as the valley of legend - due to the strange occurrences that often happen there.

You can see Generation two of the map here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/20251-urem-irnar-expanded.html). Three years have passed, and many smaller colonies have sprung up to expand the borders of human colonization, and other have grown such as the example of Rothgar, which has gone from around only twenty souls to around two hundred.
Soon after, the realm erupts into conflict over a small border conflict between the two separate sides of Fotthor, as the city is split in half, one side with the Lord of Uthar and his respective fiefs and vassals, and the Lord of Eroneth and his respective holdings. This escalated, and it wasn't long before the citizens of Eroneth and Uthar were in arms against each-other in this city. The war lasted for four years, during this time the city became a battlefield, what's left of the old architecture is built into the new city. Thanks to the wars, the city has evolved into a military powerhouse, and fortification central - with many castles, watch towers, and forts in the city and around it. This has led to a fairly unique and important city.
The war ended with the charge of the Rothgar Reapers - or so they were called on the battlefield, they were led by the Lord of Uthars very own son, Verin, who was also the leader of the colony up north. The charge was on the last real base of the Eroneth Duchy. With almost all of their military forces defeated, they retreated from Fotthor. Uthar put forth a treaty, requesting the lands up-to Teluk, this gave them control of quite a bit of the lumber industry in this part of the world.

The map now, set an unspecified time from the second one - alot of the coastline has been discovered. (Had to put the quality down, other the size would be too big.)

A continuation of my unfinished October Challenge (http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapping-challenge-archive/24922-october-2013-entry-irenar-expanded.html), I finally got around to working on it again.

Reworked the mountains, the sea is just a placeholder.

eViLe_eAgLe
01-05-2014, 05:05 PM
An update, been working off and on on it.
I'm stuck on what kind of forest style to use.

No forest.

With forest

Ilanthar
01-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Well, that's looking nice to me.
I would just make the forest a little bit more obvious compared to the grasslands.

Lingon
01-06-2014, 12:54 PM
I love this style. Very painterly, yet not trying to look like any traditional medium. Really nice work so far :) I like those forests, especially the color, but they do seem a little too sharp and detailed compared to the hazy mountains.

eViLe_eAgLe
01-07-2014, 12:48 AM
Thanks guys, I was going for a more painterly style, so i'm glad that it stands out :)
As for the forests, one of the styles i'm thinking of is of something more akin to individual tree's, that group up into a forest, if that makes sense. I'll get around to the actual implementation of that once I get over this sickness!

eViLe_eAgLe
01-21-2014, 02:17 AM

Finally got around to working on it some more, the border is makeshift for now, i'm still trying out different ones.
And yes, I know some things are goofy like some of the rivers not connecting all the way, going to go back and change that when I go back to refine details.

Edit: Jeeze, just tested with my other monitor and this can look pretty dark and red for some people.

Jalyha
01-21-2014, 02:48 AM
It's gorgeous, though. :)

I'm getting more of a "rust" color than a red. ... kinda makes it look like it's in a metal picture frame that rusted and stained the map o.o

- Max -
01-21-2014, 05:19 AM
Very nice stuff, I like the color scheme of it though I think that the border and the faded effect around is maybe a bit too much and could distract from the map istself, but it's hard to say at this stage.

eViLe_eAgLe
03-02-2014, 08:29 PM
So instead of making a new thread, I'll just put it here.

Here's what I left off with of the map, I skimped out of actual labels and stuff like that, and I generally lost interest in this one.
It has been about a month or so since I finished this, and my inspiration came back in a flash.

Here's the map i'm working on to illustrate Irenar now, it focuses mainly on trade relationships between the colonies and borders, while my previous one on this thread focused on landforms and landscape, the top left (On the trade map) are the foreign colonies, and the bottom left is the "Homeland" The foreign colonies aren't pictured on the original map in this thread, they'd be right under the large island to the top left of the map.

I've yet to see where i'll be going with the mountains and how they'll work out, i'll probably go through a few tests before I decide.
As you can see, the color scheme is a lot brighter than most of my maps, which is a nice change of pace.

Diamond
03-03-2014, 08:41 PM
I like where you're taking this.

eViLe_eAgLe
03-04-2014, 04:03 AM
A small update, I put some more time into it today and finished super duper early preliminary coloring/shading stuff on the mountains, filled in some of the ocean, and drew some hills.
Ignore the rivers leading into nothing, those will be lakes in a short time.

eViLe_eAgLe
03-06-2014, 06:28 PM
Err, I tried editing my post to attach the right file and it kind of goofed, how does one fix that?

eViLe_eAgLe
03-12-2014, 01:59 AM
Another update, it took a while to shade the mountains in.
My big qualm here, is it looks to close to my major inspiration for this map, Hyranden, i'll probably have to change that up closer to the end, the colors and all that.

Lingon
03-12-2014, 04:31 AM
Your're right, it does remind a lot of Hyranden. TheRedEpic has his signature colors which are very recognizable, probably because they work so well together and look so awesome. I think the first map in this thread has really fantastic colors, maybe you could work those in in this one too, if you want something more of your own?

- Max -
03-12-2014, 06:50 AM
Looks nice but indeed, more than heavily inspired.

eViLe_eAgLe
03-14-2014, 03:14 AM
A little bit of an update, worked on the top left mountains a bit and tried to differentiate it from the inspiration - more of that will happen later though, as I get everything down fully.
I also added a bit more texture to the background, and made it a bit darker.

eViLe_eAgLe
03-24-2014, 10:02 PM
Managed to find some more time to put on it, I finished the shading of the mountains and messed with the opacity sliders for the colors and shading layers - among a few other things, this is the result.

Edit: I've asked some people for their opinions, and it seems like 2 out of 3 people prefer the previous version, should I revert to that, or..? One of them also said this version, the mountains look like warts.

kirkspencer
03-24-2014, 11:11 PM
My two cents, I agree with the 2. The problem is that in the midst of all this beautiful shading on parchment comes the blotches of untextured white paint. (Has to be paint since it's on parchment.) They're not as obvious when they're just some of the mountains to the northwest.

eViLe_eAgLe
03-24-2014, 11:58 PM
My two cents, I agree with the 2. The problem is that in the midst of all this beautiful shading on parchment comes the blotches of untextured white paint. (Has to be paint since it's on parchment.) They're not as obvious when they're just some of the mountains to the northwest.

This any better?

Here's another slight variant.

madcowchef
03-25-2014, 12:04 AM
I think it looks better now. The white on the previous one was maxing out the levels for me, which tends to look off.

Lingon
03-25-2014, 01:30 PM
I love the previous version, with the strong highlights. Doesn't look like blotches to me at all, just excellently captures highlights. The two tweaked versions are nice too, but the mountains feel a lot more flat there. If you ask me, go with your first instinct! :)

By the way, is the sea finished? That color worked perfectly in the Hyranden-inspired color scheme, but to me it looks off together with the new land colors (which I like better! Great job on that!). I'd suggest something a little bit more vibrant, I think…

eViLe_eAgLe
03-25-2014, 05:03 PM
By the way, is the sea finished? That color worked perfectly in the Hyranden-inspired color scheme, but to me it looks off together with the new land colors (which I like better! Great job on that!). I'd suggest something a little bit more vibrant, I thinků

No, no, don't worry, the sea is far from finished, but for now, all my focus is on the land. Also, if anyone can think of a good forest style, I'd be obliged.

eViLe_eAgLe
04-07-2014, 08:18 PM
It has been a while, but since i'm on break now, I have time.
Which tree style looks better? (Mind you this is very zoomed in though.)

or

TheHoarseWhisperer
04-07-2014, 08:29 PM
The second one, with the faint outlines. Definitely (in my opinion).

Nice map, by the way.

THW

Diamond
04-07-2014, 11:26 PM
Yep, I agree. Second one. Is there a reason why you posted so zoomed-in an image though? We might be able to give you a better opinion at normal scale.

eViLe_eAgLe
04-07-2014, 11:45 PM
Yep, I agree. Second one. Is there a reason why you posted so zoomed-in an image though? We might be able to give you a better opinion at normal scale.

I haven't done the entire length of the map using the second version, hence why.

DarthChicago
04-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Are you intending on the rivers ending at the lakes? Only in extremely rare instances is that, in reality, the case. Lakes are just places where the river pools up in an area before 'overflowing' at a choke point, where the river then continues down the elevation. Very beautifully detailed map, though. I am struggling with the forests on my first-ever map, love how you handle yours.

eViLe_eAgLe
04-09-2014, 04:03 AM
Are you intending on the rivers ending at the lakes? Only in extremely rare instances is that, in reality, the case. Lakes are just places where the river pools up in an area before 'overflowing' at a choke point, where the river then continues down the elevation. Very beautifully detailed map, though. I am struggling with the forests on my first-ever map, love how you handle yours.

It wasn't on my mind when I was making, although I knew it.
I'll probably add it on soon if it looks good; if not, then that's the reason why there aren't flowing outward, or think of them as super small streams not worthy to be mentioned.

Lingon
04-10-2014, 08:16 AM
I probably think number 2 as well, seems to fit better with the other elements, but the super-zoom makes it a little hard to tell for sure :P

eViLe_eAgLe
04-25-2014, 04:07 AM
It's been a while, I just switched computers and am getting back to it, next up will be a new tablet!
I decided to go with the outlines, I think they added alot more depth to the trees (Obviously i'm not done with all of them) I'm thinking next of putting shading lines behind for just a tiny bit more depth and detail, after this are city icons (Which will be isometric), which will hopefully be my first successful set, some more small details around the cities and land, the sea and maybe a cartouche, and then the trade routes, and maybe another alternate version showing the location of goods.

Lingon
04-25-2014, 03:42 PM
I love how the forests add little patches of warmth. Beautiful!

- Max -
04-25-2014, 06:14 PM
For me, the map lacks of contrast to really be attractive at the moment.

foremost
04-26-2014, 02:16 AM
Wow, I really love the mountains. Maybe once you add in the
city icons and all that good stuff, the map will have that
contrast Max is talking about?

Rather than unattractive or boring, I think it looks calm. Not
sure if this is a good thing or bad thing.

eViLe_eAgLe
06-28-2014, 08:09 PM
It's been a while, but i'm finally getting back on it!
I'm debating whether simple icons or isometric ones would be better for cities and stuff, I'm leaning towards simple as I think it would look better.

eViLe_eAgLe
06-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Just realized that I accidentally got rid of the lakes - i'll fix that soon.

Lingon
07-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Nice! That sea color works perfectly… Interesting pattern too. For the icons, I'll vote for iso, since the mountains and forests already are iso-ish :)

eViLe_eAgLe
07-08-2014, 03:14 AM
A little update, included some city, town, castle, and village icons.

DigitalFable
07-08-2014, 04:39 AM
It looks great! I love the textured look of the ocean! :)

- Max -
07-08-2014, 04:55 AM
The pixelized look of the icons clashes with the soft painting look of the map. Same with the circular lines that are heavily pixelized.

Ilanthar
07-08-2014, 05:35 AM
I like those icons but I agree with - Max - that they are too sharp compared to the rest.

fabio p
07-08-2014, 09:13 AM
I must say this wip is becoming more and more interesting and inspirational.
I think you’re doing a great job.
Regarding city icons, I agree with the others; also I think you should choose between 2d and 3d rather than having both.
Your map style here reminds me to TheRedEpic style, have you seen his maps like this one (www.cartographersguild.com/attachments/cartographers-choice/55269d1370908320-hyranden-eastern-lands-theredepic-55259d1370891286-hyranden-eastern-lands-theredepic-hyranden-eastern-lands-final-72dpi.jpg)? Maybe you can get some inspiration for the icons from them.

eViLe_eAgLe
07-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Yeah, this map is very inspired by TheRedEpic, I want to try and keep it different enough though.
As for the icons, I'm not sure to do besides what I already have for them. Maybe just simple Icons would work better?