PDA

View Full Version : World of Eldoran (in two maps)

Ilanthar
01-03-2014, 12:25 PM
I've gladly reworked an old map for one of my rpg setting. With the help of the guild, I have to say that I'm very happy with the results! It was an occasion for experiment new techniques (for mountains, mainly), and that's close to what I figured in my mind!

Sadly, the two maps are 99% of their real size (for uploading), and some of the labels may look blurred.

So, the physical map :

And the political one :

All comments still appreciated ! :)

- Max -
01-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Though I'm not a great fan of the reliefs in the physical map, I like the political map where the reliefs are better with this lower opcaity (at least to my eyes ;) ) Nice job! Unfortunately, can't rep you at the moment.

Freodin
01-03-2014, 02:01 PM
That is so totally awesome!

"LET THERE BE SHOWERS OF REP!"

Bogie
01-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Excellent Map

arsheesh
01-03-2014, 02:39 PM
I really like the way these turned out. Unfortunately I can't rep you either.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Lingon
01-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Everything about both of these is jawdroppingly awesome. Fantastic job!

Ilanthar
01-04-2014, 06:55 AM
Thanks a lot guys! It was one of the map that took me a lot of time, and undoubtedly the map that owe the most to the guild :)

Llannagh
01-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Though I'm not a great fan of the reliefs in the physical map, I like the political map where the reliefs are better with this lower opcaity (at least to my eyes ;) ) Nice job!

I agree with Max, I'm really not a fan of the relief. But apart from that, that's a really nice map, especially the political one. And gorgeous coastlines, too!

Have some rep.

Ghostman
01-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Very good work! The color palette is the best aspect of either map for me. And if there's one thing I could wish to have added to them, that'd be a border.

afters
01-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Excellent maps, especially the political one. Might actually give me some ideas for my own political map project :P

You are officially repped.

Ilanthar
01-05-2014, 08:34 AM
Thanks, colors are a big mix of layers for a part (especially in the physical map), and I have my habits concerning the political map (colors had been already chosen from the ancient map).

Brian Smaller
01-06-2014, 06:53 PM
I've gladly reworked an old map for one of my rpg setting.

All comments still appreciated ! :)

I am sure I may have just missed your attribution to the original in an earlier post so am just commenting that the central continent of your map is Lythia (from the Harn roleplaying game). I like what you have done with it though.

Ilanthar
01-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Yes, you're right ! I mentioned it at the beginning of the WIP (in the regional/world mapping part) and missed to write it again here (so, correction done :)).
I'm a big fan of the shape of Lythia and used it on my old map (which is not here by the way).

thepinksalmon
01-09-2014, 02:47 PM
These are really nice. I'll agree with what everyone else said about the mountains in the physical map. I think, for me, it's a combination the mountains being quite shiny and not very sharp. Regardless, the colors on both maps are great.

Ridgewolf
01-09-2014, 04:13 PM
What can I say? This project sparkles.

My taste is to like the political map more.

Why do I like both maps?
Names: variety, placement, curvature, and blending.
Letters, some of which are stunning.
Borders, because they are very easy to see and follow.

Why do I like the political map more?
Subtlety of coloring.
Textures, of which there is at least one layer more than the geographic map.
Coats of arms, all of which are interesting to look at.

What do I think could be improved?

The most notable thing to me was letter spacing. Both of the words Thalassique and Thethys...seem to have odd spacing between the T and the H. The curlings cross over each other instead of temporarily blending into one width. Also Thethys seems to have a space between the H and the Y while none of the surrounding land masses seem to use this convention.

I also notice a tiny little bit of blending discontinuity in the top right corner of the political map's title box. That discovery led me to see that the borders around the coats of arms blend well, but not quite perfectly into their main fields. The blending around the title frame of the geographic map is much better.

Again, I like what I've seen here. Thank you for posting these. :)

Diamond
01-09-2014, 07:11 PM
Hey, that turned really great! Love that political map, and I actually really like how the relief turned out - very unique and cool. Have some rep!

Ilanthar
01-10-2014, 07:59 AM
Thanks a lot for your kind words!

@ Ridgewolf : hey, that's a very complete and organized comment! In fact, there are more layers on the geographical map that on the political, but I may had arranged it more efficiently. You're right for letters spacing : for the Th, it didn't bother me actually (the font acts like that), but for the hy in Thethys, it's quite strange... I wonder if I hit the space bar by mistake...

@ Diamond : relief and labels had been the biggest challenges on those maps (and I've learn a lot by the way!), and I think I'll probably use those mountains again!

darcsied
01-31-2014, 01:32 PM
I like the fact that you have both the physical and political maps. It shows a lot more detail that way.

Ilanthar
02-01-2014, 08:07 AM
Thanks darcsied!

I planned to do one map, at first. But there was just too many things I intended to put on the map, so two maps was a simple solution !

pickes500
05-06-2014, 05:56 PM
What is the scale on these maps? They look awesome but the one thing they're missing is a scale to tell distances.

Ilanthar
05-07-2014, 08:10 AM
Thanks Pickes500, I'm glad you liked it!

For the scale, I first putted a scale bar, but it was only truly effective for the equator, so I removed it later. Consider that Eldoran is a bit smaller than Earth (about 10,030 km in diameter). The equator is 31 500 kilometers long if you prefer.