PDA

View Full Version : Any other writers on this site?

Stevena37
01-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Are there any other writers using this site? I am a writer and have several story ideas aside from the one I am using for my first fantasy novel. If anyone is needing help coming up with story-lines, characters, etc., I can offer assistance. If this is you, feel free to respond to this post. Thank you for your time.

Korash
01-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Howdy Stevena37, I moved your thread to the General Discussion forum because this is not a Map Request at all. I am sure that there are quite a few people here who might be interested in this thread, and I think you will get more of them here as well.

Stevena37
01-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Thanks. I am still trying to figure this site out.

waldronate
01-08-2014, 12:21 AM
I thought we got all the writers during the pogrom of '09. It's good to see that the population is recovering.

Larb
01-08-2014, 01:41 AM
CG gets a surge of writers every november (due to NaNoWriMo) and randomly between then. I am one myself. Generally if it's not for a challenge, or not for L5R, my maps are related to my own novel's universe. =P

Jalyha
01-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Writers, or *published* writers?

I spend about 10 hours a day writing, because I must. :p But I've never finished any of my projects, and only recently started to take it seriously, in any way. :D

My issue is that I have too many ideas... and no discipline. Sometimes I feel like posting all my ideas somewhere with a sign that says "Free - Take One!"

Anyway, hi! :)

~Jalyha

foremost
01-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Of course!

Welcome to the bunch :)

Tracker
01-11-2014, 12:12 AM
Hello:
I am writer of sci-fi and fantasy stories. My day job is a program manager for a publisher. If you have questions ask. The reason is simple, for when I have (not if but when) I have questions I will ask.

Tracker

Chris van der Heijden
01-11-2014, 05:42 AM
I see myself as a writer yes, but never really finished a story though. And I would say: I think making up your own stories and plotlines seems far more gratifying than using one of someone else. I usually get inspired from history stories (I am a history student) and try to morph the things that happened in this world into things that could actually happen in my own.

Fuzzycellos
01-12-2014, 06:45 PM
I too am a writer, and am working towards a writing certificate at the university of Iowa. I've gotten a few stories completed, nothing shorter than 10-15 pages. It's cool to see that there are not only cartographers, but also writers on this forum. Gives me even more reason to come here :)

Mermaid Shayna
01-14-2014, 07:53 PM
I like to write, but I'm more of a drawing person. I'm working on a manga-style graphic novel now. In fact, that's what ended up leading me to this site!!

swifty
01-17-2014, 03:46 AM
I have some articles, but nothing longer than a couple of thousand words. I like the idea of writing a novel, but haven't got round to doing it yet, although my best bud is on his 5th so I ought to get on with it really.

Strange_Kid
01-20-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm writing just for hobby, and mostly fanfiction. Only recently I start making one of my own, and from there the need of map lead me to here. Nice to meet you :D

Twistomud
01-21-2014, 12:01 AM
Up here!
I'm currently writing my first fantasy fan-fiction, and probably 2/3 of my maps will have something in common to my universe :)
It's still young (barely 2,000+ words) so I have a long way to go.

arishok
01-21-2014, 09:22 PM
I'm majoring in Journalism/Social Media, though I love writing fantasy stories. I also have more than a handful of blogs that I roleplay with on Tumblr. Cartography is more so a hobby that has stemmed from my love of drawing and need of a damn map for my novel.

Robin Ryuu
01-31-2014, 12:37 PM
To Shayna
Looks like we came here for the same reason. I hope to create a manga that will at least rival Fullmetal Alchemist and D.Gray-Man. Although I say that the story I've been working on for about a year still has some major plot holes...oh and my art still needs a lot of work before I can actually draw it. .......Hah, if you couldn't tell I'm a pessimist who dreams big.

Gamerprinter
01-31-2014, 12:52 PM
I am technically a professional artistic cartographer that wanted to develop my own campaign setting for Pathfinder as a publication. While I was critical in its development, I've had other, better qualified and already published authors work on the project (closely with me, and the outlines that I've created for various products). However, I've been learning along the way, how best to present written work for the setting. So in a round about way, I've become a writer myself, even having published a mini-adventure site called Haiku of Horror: Autumn Moon Bath House (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/113378/Haiku-of-Horror-Autumn-Moon-Bath-House?term=haiku+of). I did all the development, writing, game design, cartography, illustration and page layout for this particular product.

While I have written (unpublished) short stories and poems over the last 40 or so years, only now am I am published writer.

Also, while I was initially hired by Paizo Publishing to create a hand-drawn map of the City of Kasai for the Jade Regent Adventure Path, I also did some of the writing in the City of Kasai Gazetteer, so I am credited as a contributing author to the 6th module of that AP, The Empty Throne. It was not my intention to write anything, but my expertise in Japanese lore, culture and city development was called upon in the gazetteer write up, so I contributed. So aside from the larger works I've done for my own setting, this AP contribution is my biggest credit as an author at this time.

So my entry into authorship was coming in through the 'back door'. Although I have an interest and some skill in writing, it was never a serious pursuit of mine. It was only through pursuing something else, that I became a published author with the probability of publishing more in the future.