PDA

View Full Version : January 2014 Entry - Treasures of Lohan

Carbus
01-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Hey there guys. Another month, another entry. So this time, with game mechanics in mind I started thinking about the theme. My first idea was for a Goblin Exodus games, but I couldnīt figure out how to do it. My next idea was a Merchant Game, where the player travels through the realm searching for different products. After talking to Sk, he pointed me to another direction, a game where the players work for a merchant and must travel the world searching for rare stuff, this time with many players playing. All those ideas were good in my mind, but when I tried put them into paper, well letīs say it sucked.

Last week, I started playing XCOM Enemy Within, and inside the game, thereīs a feature where the player must search for the enemy base around the world. To find it, I had to complete various missions, where after succeding in each one, I got a piece of clue about the base location. Clues like īīThe base is west of the Atlantic Oceanīī or īīThe base is not in Africīī, and etc. I found this mechanic very cool, and started developing an idea behind it.

Thats how Treasures of Lohan was born. The game is built for 2-4 players, where each one at the beginning of the game, must hide the treasure in the board, and the player must find it through several clues (following the same idea as XCOM). The first player to itīs hidden treasure wins!

Iīll post the rules in the future, they are still being made, but hereīs an initial draft of my map. Hope you like it (least to say inspired by -Max- saturated maps, I hope you donīt mind, I love your style!)

Carbus
01-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Another update.
Decided to change some stuff, the trees, the texture, and also added region colors, what you guys think?
Also here is the some part of the rules so you guys can understand what the game is about.

TREASURES OF LOHAN:

Objective:
Find the treasure hidden by the player at your right. The first player to find the treasure wins.

Components:
4 tokens for the players
80 coin tokens
1 board
4 paper mini-boards
X Location Cards
25 Event Cards
1 Dice

Game Start:
The games starts by each player choosing a spot to hide the treasure from the player at your left. You can mark your choosen spot at the mini-board, through a circle, or other draw that represent where you hide it.

Each player starts with 10 gold, 1 paper mini-board and 1 Player Token. Everyone starts at the city of Lohan, and must travel through the region searching for clues about the hidden treasure.

Playerīs Turn:
The player then decide who goes first. At the beginning of each player turn, he can moves one spot in any direction, and then roll a dice.
If the result is one or two, nothing happens.
If the result is three, the player can moves one additional space.
If the result is four or five, the player receives an event card.
If the result is six, the player receives on Location Card.
After the result of the dice, and the following action, the playe than passes his turn to the player to his right.

Event Card:
When a player receives an event card, through the dice roll, or locations in the board, it must follow the action from the card it receives (i.e. Receive 20 gold)

(more to come...)

### Latest WIP ###

Cunning Cartographer
01-12-2014, 03:20 PM
This is looking great :D

Jalyha
01-12-2014, 03:56 PM
It looks *fun* ... I want to play this, lol :)

Carbus
01-13-2014, 06:56 PM
Following my fellow competitor, today I started working on the Event Cards. Hope you like.

arsheesh
01-14-2014, 02:12 AM
Lovely work, love the design. Only issue I'd mention is that the figures look somewhat blurred up close, especially the last one.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Cunning Cartographer
01-14-2014, 03:14 AM
Trapper Card - The target player "skips" his next turn

Looking good though, but I agree with Arsheesh that the silhouettes are blurred when zoomed in to 100%

Carbus
01-14-2014, 07:36 AM
Yeah that]s true. That's what you get for working with PS and not Illustrator xD Thank your for the observations, and the grammar error! :D

Cunning Cartographer
01-14-2014, 07:55 AM
No reason Photoshop should be an issue (sure illustrator would definitely NOT be an issue). Presumably you designed them with different dpi's? I'm sure you can sharpen the edges or do a bitmap trace on them fairly easy to neaten them up.

Carbus
01-14-2014, 08:07 AM
Yeahh I know.. I did a quick dirty job just to check the layout and design. I]ll sharpen them later, I made them at my job hidden from my boss. hahah

Carbus
01-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Update on the map.

thepinksalmon
01-15-2014, 04:44 PM
I'm really liking this. The map is pleasant to look at so far and the rules seem like a fantasy adventure version of Clue. I look forward to more updates on this.

Diamond
01-17-2014, 01:25 AM
Looking great, Carbus. Not that I'd expect anything less from you.

And I'm so glad it's not a game about Lindsay Lohan's... um... treasures. :D

Carbus
01-17-2014, 08:04 AM
Looking great, Carbus. Not that I'd expect anything less from you.

And I'm so glad it's not a game about Lindsay Lohan's... um... treasures. :D

Oh god...I forgot it's the same name o.o Jesus...
Anyway than you guys for your support! I'mm problaby finish the map by monday, the only thing missing are the labels on locations, and the coastal region.
I started the Location Cards, what you guys think? The globe with black and red, or the globe with gray and red? The green (or red) are used to represent the squares the player must give a clue.
So if you get an Affirmation Region Card, you must tell the player in what region the treasure is. If you get a Negative Latitude Card, you must eliminate one latitude where the treasure isn't hidden.
Thanks!

Jalyha
01-17-2014, 01:35 PM
I'm... laughing so hard... at... Lindsay Lohan's Treasures.

ROFL.

In other news - I'm loving the cards. :) This game looks really fun!

Carbus
01-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Hey guys. Updated the map, also I changed the buildings, what you guys think of that? Comments are more than welcome!

arsheesh
01-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Looks fantastic so far Carbus!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Lingon
01-19-2014, 03:31 AM
Beautiful map, I'd love to play this game :) Though I think the farms and stables look a bit more modern than the style of the landscape suggests, with their flat roofs?

Jalyha
01-19-2014, 09:54 AM
I was trying to think what to say, and I got lost.

This really is beautiful. I have to agree that the farm *buildings* look rather modern-ish, but I don't know if that really detracts anything from the map. Perhaps it would bother me more if they were drawn individually, instead of using icons.

The farm *plots* on the other hand... those are gorgeous. I love the patchwork. It's so... realistic :P I like how you turned the pieces to get a different effect. Your mountains and trees are really good too!

(I can't help it, I'm obsessed with the farms) Some of the plots have super-straight lines, which would bug me, except the rest don't, and it just looks like some farms are wealthier than others. I'm really impressed.

As for the game as a whole - I love the whole concept. I've already decided where to hide the treasure the first time I play :P I think the red cards look better than the green (since I realized I never answered that) but they are both amazing. :)

Carbus
01-19-2014, 11:39 AM
Thanks Jalyha and Lingon!
Well thatīs probably true, Itīs my first time trying perspective icons, Iīll try to change that when I have the time! Still a lot of labels and stuff to do xD

Carbus
01-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Started working on the board itself.

Schwarzkreuz
01-20-2014, 05:13 AM
Truely a very nice map, I only feel a bit at odds on the forests, the style dont matchup for me.

- Max -
01-20-2014, 05:50 AM
I kinda agree with Sk here, maybe it's because of the blurryness of the forests compared to the outlining work of mountains , rivers and locations?
Also a few nitpicks on details that caught my eyes:
- Overlapping : you have a few overlaps here and there, you might want to check them and fix them. Most important are : cliffs overlpapping the town column 4 line 8, mountain overlaps town colummn 14 line 3, terrain outlines overlaps river column 11 line 3.
- Rivers mouths : they doesn't look very clean, I would erase sticking out parts.

Carbus
01-22-2014, 06:36 PM
Almost there.

### Latest WIP ###

Jalyha
01-22-2014, 06:59 PM
You fixed the farm roofs!

This is looking amazing. And I like seeing it all together, I'm really getting a feel for how to play! :P

arsheesh
01-22-2014, 07:35 PM
This is turning out to be a great entry!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Carbus
01-22-2014, 07:45 PM
You fixed the farm roofs!

This is looking amazing. And I like seeing it all together, I'm really getting a feel for how to play! :P

Yeah! They really felt weird haha I think its better now! Im creating the Manual now, with rules and everything!

Thanks @arsheesh!

Carbus
01-23-2014, 06:32 PM
Link to the rules:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0lx57ly79g4os7/regrastreasure.pdf

Jalyha
01-23-2014, 07:12 PM
Looks fantastic! And the game sounds way fun :) just a couple of things I noticed... nitpicky typos/grammar/spelling stuff... I don't know if you care but...

1) in section 2.1:

"Everyone starts at the city of Lohan and must travel through the

2.2 Player turn"

Think you missed something there :P

2) I think you should include a rule for determining who goes first. People can be REALLY immature. Highest dice roll, maybe?

3) Bodyguard card description: "reffunded" = "refunded".

4) Section 4: "where he didn't hid the treasure" = "where he didn't hide the treasure"

(Is the Longitude card supposed to have 2 "o's"?)

Carbus
01-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Finished!

Rules: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0lx57ly79g4os7/regrastreasure.pdf
(Big thanks to Jalyha for the grammar erros!)

### Latest WIP ###

Jalyha
01-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Fantabulous! :D Now go make people manufacture it, so I can buy it and play :P :P :P

I'm really impressed. :)