PDA

View Full Version : WIP - My first ever map!

rgcalsaverini
01-11-2014, 10:27 PM
This is my first ever map (at least the first one that I put any effort into) that I decided to make after reading a few tips on this forum for a campaign. It is still not finished.
Please review it and help me to improve:

What I dislike the most is:

The coast lines are quite artificial at some places, I should have paid more attention to them.
The hydrography is all wrong. For the supernatural amount of lakes and the like, the fault is partially that the map should depict the "Kingdom of the Lakes", that was supposed to be an insular kingdom with lots of lakes :) Also I read more about rivers AFTER placing them, and I see some flaws now.

Please help me with criticism

Diamond
01-12-2014, 12:36 AM
That is actually very cool; I like it a lot. I'm really impressed with the colors, and nice job with the landforms. This was done using Tear's tutorial, right? What's the scale? I get the sense that this is part of a Caribbean-esque pirate archipelago.

Welcome to the Guild, and have some rep for jumping right in with a map!

RevGunn
01-12-2014, 02:08 AM
I dunno.. It looks really really great to me. I really like the colors.

Bogie
01-12-2014, 02:50 AM
Excellent!!!!

arsheesh
01-12-2014, 03:36 AM
Welcome to the Guild! I'm in agreement with the rest, this is lovely work and I don't have any real criticism.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Freodin
01-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Great work indeed.

One thing that really stood out for me is that you managed to avoid the "I have to fill the space" syndrome that so many people start with. ;)

Diamond
01-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Great work indeed.

One thing that really stood out for me is that you managed to avoid the "I have to fill the space" syndrome that so many people start with. ;)

Yes!!! This. ^

rgcalsaverini
01-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Thanks guys! This map-making thing is so much fun! hehe

@Diamond: Yeah, I liked the colors too, but it was kind of an accident lol. I used quite a bit of tutorials, Tear's might be amoungst them, I remember that Sederan's tutorial helped me a lot. Yeah, it is a pirate archipellago! Its great that it passes that feel :)

@Freodin: Is there such a thing? Funny, I did it at first but then it looked too artificial and I cleaned it a bit.

Is there a good tutorial on tectonics or something like that to help me understand the placement of mountains?

I saw someone using a simulation software that given a height map it would predict the course of rivers, do anybody know how is it called?

Jalyha
01-12-2014, 03:55 PM
This map is so PRETTY. :)

And according to the comments, it's very good as well. :D

I'm one of those newbies that tries to fill all the space, I think. OOPS! I'll stop that now. :)

rgcalsaverini
01-13-2014, 09:56 PM
I think I've finished it! =) I'm quite happy with the results, for my first map I expected something way worse, but it also takes much more effort and time than I expected.
Do you think I should include the roads?

Freodin
01-14-2014, 02:43 AM
You could try to include roads, and see how it plays out, but personally I would leave them. The map is quite good as it is.

There are, of course, some small things that can be improved.
You could put a little more work into your labeling - you got a little overenthusiastic with the curves in some places. You might also rework your map border so that it fits correctly.
The issue with the rivers you have already mentioned yourself.

Everything else: composition, colouration, textures, the font, the placement of the labels, overall impression... this is a most excellent map! Congratulations, and I hope to see more of your work.

rgcalsaverini
01-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Thank you guys :)

You could put a little more work into your labeling - you got a little overenthusiastic with the curves in some places.

I know, I'm not happy with the labels either. Now that you pointed it out, the small islands labels are clearly exaggerated.
I don't quite get whats an appropriate amount of curve yet tho. I read somewhere here to try and make the label fill the space when the thing being labelled is a big area, but of course there should be a balance between that and legibility. Do you think that, for example, the labels on "Terra Desolada" (upper right) and "Serra do Machado" (upper center mountains) are too much curved?

You might also rework your map border so that it fits correctly.
Yeah, that was just plain lazy lol

Thanks for the helpful advices! I'll try to make a new map soon to incorporate what I've learned with this one.

Maraxus_
01-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Style: I don't know about the font, it looks to playful to me, but then again, I don't have a better suggestion either.

Content: The Lago Páldo seams a little tiny to be the end of the big Rio Falke (and two minor rivers springing from the deserts)

Also, about your scale: If I understand this right, one square = the whole black/while scale is "one day's horse ride". Is that an average horse riding an average traveler on an average day during a longer journey (15-20 miles), or is that a top messenger horse for urgent messages pushed to it's limits for 24 hours after which it has to be cared for for weeks, if it does not outright die of exhaustion (up to 100 miles, if my internet search is right)?

rgcalsaverini
01-15-2014, 08:55 PM
I don't know about the font, it looks to playful to me, but then again, I don't have a better suggestion either.

Hum, I didn't notice this before. I think you're right, I does seems a bit off for a map. I'll look for alternatives.

The Lago Páldo seams a little tiny to be the end of the big Rio Falke
So very true. And making it bigger would also solve a history problem, the border between the Kingdom of the Lakes and the lands of the barbarians should be easier to defend and more clear.

Also, about your scale: If I understand this right, one square = the whole black/while scale is "one day's horse ride".
Precisely. The whole bar should be around 50 km (31 miles). It's supposed to be a day travelling with a good horse, on a good road and on favorable terrain and weather, assuming a good night's rest. Of course, with the terrain that probably won't be true on most of this map.

Latest version:

Thanks for the review! Very insightful!