PDA

View Full Version : This is the 3rd draft for the world map idea for my story

Stevena37
01-16-2014, 07:47 PM
Alright guys, as some of you know, I do not have the programs to create high quality maps. but what I do have at my disposal is Ms Paint and Photoshop. This map is the 3rd draft for the world in which I am writing my novel about. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks. 60349

Azelor
01-16-2014, 11:26 PM
Your map looks pretty good and with photoshop you do have more than enough to create good looking map. After all, the software is only a fraction of what makes a map good.

I like your landmasses but the background texture is not right.

jbgibson
01-16-2014, 11:30 PM
If you have Photoshop you DO have a tool with which to create amazing maps.

Your world has a pleasant arrangement of landmasses, and other than being pixellated, looks fine. Really, if you have the RAM to deal with it, you can get crazy-good results with even Paint, just by starting with larrrrge canvases. I like what you've done thus far.

If you want something to print in a typical book, keeping the detail simple is a decent idea.

You have access to the premier free equivalents of the well-known expensive software packages - GIMP approximates Photoshop, and Inkscape approximates Illustrator. There's always a learning curve, but the results can be worth it. Example - I don't (yet) do vector styles in Inkscape, but I have found it excellent for creating curved labels.

foremost
01-17-2014, 10:52 AM
Photoshop is one of the most widely used, professional, and capable
tools for mapmaking you can find. Sure, I don't think it was designed
with mapmaking in mind, but a lot of cartographers here in the guild
have been able to master it with amazing results.

I have MS Paint, so I'm able to understand that's a more basic tool.
But, being a more basic tool, it's easier to learn and beginners
shouldn't have as much trouble getting to know it. I don't have
photoshop, but if I did, I probably would know how to get started with
it.

I like the border of your map. It reminds me of a simple map that might
be used for nautical navigation or such. You did a fairly good job avoiding
the square look, but I don't think the pixelation helps that.

Stevena37
01-17-2014, 03:22 PM
I was trying to make the map appear as though it were drawn on papyrus. Still working that part out though. And I appreciate all of the comments. Thanks everyone.

- Max -
01-18-2014, 08:13 PM
The land masses look indeed mire interesting than your previous drafts.