PDA

View Full Version : My WIP

crazybear
07-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Hello all, I just bought Photoshop CS3 a little while ago and though I would make a map with it now that I have it. I decided to follow one of the tutorials here and I picked Pyrandon's "Thracioth map walk-thru" tutorial to start out with.

It is a very nice tutorial and I would like to show you all what I have done so far and get your feedback on how it is coming. I have just finished with the base land and sea colors and have started drawing in some of the mountains. Please tell me what you think!

Steel General
07-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Great start, keep 'em coming.

I've played around with a bunch of the different tutorials myself and have found that by mixing a couple of different techniques I can usually get preety close to my original vision.

ravells
07-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Agreed. An excellent start! Looking forward to seeing more of it.

landorl
07-25-2008, 09:42 AM
I think that this is a good start. I don't see any real problems yet. I like the drawings that you did for the mountains, although these mountains look very intimidating and impossible to cross. That may be the effect that you are going for though.

I do hope that you add in some foothills though, just to make it a little more gradual.

NeonKnight
07-25-2008, 10:00 AM
My first thought when I saw it was, WOW, another CC3 user, but then I read, and then REREAD you said PHOTOSHOP CS3.

So, WOW!

I like it, it looks sweet, and I cannot wait for more.

jfrazierjr
07-25-2008, 10:11 AM
My first thought when I saw it was, WOW, another CC3 user, but then I read, and then REREAD you said PHOTOSHOP CS3.

So, WOW!

I like it, it looks sweet, and I cannot wait for more.

Heh.. I got the same thing! My mind was really tripping when I was thinking "Hmmm I wonder just how much use he will get out of a PhotoShop tutorial by using CC3?"

crazybear
07-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys! You are all really encouraging. I will work more on it this weekend and keep you updated on my progress.

crazybear
07-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Alright everyone, I have added the rest of the mountains and now some freshwater. I'm not sure I'm happy with the freshwater though. Let me know what you guys think.

Ascension
07-27-2008, 12:17 AM
Looks fine to me, it's logically consistent with the ocean although maybe just a shade or 2 too light...maybe darken em up to match the oceans but not a big deal as far as I see.

NeonKnight
07-27-2008, 01:48 AM
Uh-Oh! Don't let Rob see them rivers in the upper right!

Redrobes
07-27-2008, 05:41 AM
Oh yes, you need to reconsider those rivers. Rivers join up into bigger ones as they go towards the sea. Its excruciatingly rare for them to fork into two. For a long river it never ever occurs that there are two main paths to the sea. Have a look at some real maps or google maps and see what we mean.

Ghostman
07-27-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm kind of troubled by the mountains. The way the ranges suddenly end on the coasts seems unnatural. It could make sense to have a chain of (mountainous) islands arching across the sea, "connecting" the southern and northern mountain ranges. Little peninsulas bulging out from the mainland at those points along the coast where the mountains reach the shores would also help make it look more natural.

crazybear
07-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Sorry Redrobes, I'll have to look at some real maps and change the water.

Ghostman, I was trying to get the effects of a cliff face along the water on one side, and dwindling foothills on the other. How can I express this better?

Ghostman
07-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Hm now that I look at your map again, I see that the peaks become much shorter toward the shores. I think this is the problem: they are the same shape as the mountains, only smaller. In most of the maps using symbols to represent mountains/hills that I've seen, the symbols for hills tend to be less steeply sloped and more rounded in shape than the mountains. Makes it easier to spot the difference in a quick glance.

As for the cliff face - that one might be hard to represent. I guess the easiest method would be having the mountain range meet the coast at a low angle and then run along the coast for some distance.

crazybear
08-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Alright, I changed the rivers and added forests. I think the tree colors are too bright and my pattern doesn't look near as good as Pyrandon's did. Also, I changed the water from sponge to ocean ripple, I like it a little better. What do you think?