PDA

View Full Version : (WIP) Kanji map 'Kazimai'

Domino44
01-17-2014, 12:30 AM
I made this map more because I needed to get the idea out of my head but I started it and I liked it. I had the idea to make a map out of actual Japanese kanji.

Every icon is the kanji symbol for what it is representing. The mountains are the kanji for mountain the hills are kanji for hills…etc. The landmass is based off of the kanji for island, even the way the other kanji icons are placed they outline the island kanji.

The only kanji that I really had to mess with was the kanji for river, but I think it turned out okay.

I still need to label everything and I might do a few more things.

jbgibson
01-17-2014, 12:43 AM
Love it! Especially your solution for getting linear features out of "river".

Jalyha
01-17-2014, 12:45 AM
Oh this is simply beautiful!

And I was surprised that I could tell what (almost) everything was without checking the key!

I didn't get the "rivers" at first but when I did I giggled. :P

I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Gamerprinter
01-17-2014, 01:44 AM
An interesting idea. Since kanji is based on recognizable iconography, it really does have the appearance of a map symbol.

Domino44
01-17-2014, 09:18 AM
Thanks for all the encouraging replies! :)

The biggest thing I was worried about was the river. Though it's still the kanji symbol for river, but because it's sideways it looks more like the kanji symbol for the number three. I think I might name the rivers something like kawasan: san meaning three, kawa meaning river.

Jalyha
01-17-2014, 12:48 PM
It works though... with the 3 lines, it looks like 3 rivers... so either 3 or river would work ;)

The only issue I had, honestly, is that the river is so much lighter that it's difficult to assimilate. :)

I don't think it matters if you change the name, but saying "shown sideways" in the key might throw off the feel of the thing a bit, so maybe kawasan is a good compromise.... just make sure that doesn't already mean something else :o

Either way, it's still a beautiful concept, and a beautiful map :)

Tracker
01-17-2014, 06:05 PM
Hello:

In a word, it is beautiful. It is simple; however, it is elegant. I like your solution for river. Again simple; however, it is elegant. The color choice works very well. I have used kanji for directional labeling (north, south, etc.) but this works well. Really well.

Thank you for sharing. It has given me some ideas for an ancient map.

Tracker

Domino44
01-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks Tracker!

An update, okay so I know I didn't do much but I did finish my design for my rose compass and also did some labeling. :)

- Max -
01-19-2014, 08:39 PM
The compass looks good though a bit big regarding the map size. Also you should avoid warp effect on labels that create bad font distorsion and which isn't really pleasant to read at and prefer using path tool to create curved labels.

Domino44
01-19-2014, 09:11 PM
I can't seem to figure out how to do that with the path tool… :\ I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I got a bit frustrated with it.

Jalyha
01-19-2014, 09:20 PM
What program are you using?

Domino44
01-19-2014, 09:35 PM
Adobe Photoshop CC

Jalyha
01-19-2014, 10:32 PM
:(
sorry... I tried to find some info, but I couldn't... I only have GIMP and Ink-drivemebatty-scape, or I'd mess with it myself :/ I know I was reading the ps text on path thing somewhere though...

Domino44
01-19-2014, 11:08 PM
its okay, thanks for looking for me though. :\ I will just have to mess around with it a bit more.

Jalyha
01-20-2014, 12:14 AM
I'll keep looking as well. :)

(Anything to avoid doing real work >.< )

- Max -
01-20-2014, 01:34 AM
I can't seem to figure out how to do that with the path tool… :\ I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I got a bit frustrated with it.

Can't link you atm but check ou Tutorial section, Thamupp did make a small and easy tut about it a few months ago.

Domino44
01-20-2014, 04:44 PM
So I think I figured it out…

I also made the compass smaller, and did a bit more labeling.

Jalyha
01-20-2014, 05:22 PM
Oooh that looks amazing!!

Domino44
01-20-2014, 05:38 PM
Thanks Jalyha!

Domino44
01-21-2014, 03:47 PM
I think I am close to finishing this project. :)

hopefully after I'm done with this I will be able to come up with another idea as cool as the one I had for this map. I wasn't sure about how this map would turn out but I'm happy with how it looks. There are some more things I want to work on before I finish it be it's close. :)

Jalyha
01-21-2014, 04:50 PM
This is positively gorgeous. :) I want to frame it and put it on my wall, lol.

Johnny Ten
01-21-2014, 05:09 PM
I love this, such a clever concept, and it looks stunning too.

Domino44
01-21-2014, 09:46 PM
Thanks JohnnyTen!

Jalyha thanks for always making me smile with your comments! :)

Jalyha
01-21-2014, 10:04 PM
I can't make the maps, but I can encourage, and give credit where it's due... We all play a part :P :P

Ilanthar
01-22-2014, 05:06 AM
Well done, you've got an excellent and original design on this map.

Lingon
01-22-2014, 08:47 AM
This is awesome, Domino! Very, very creative, and it looks beautiful. The only thing I'd change is the labeling – since every symbol is already self-describing, I think labeling is superfluous here. It'd look cleaner and show off the concept better without any latin letters, in my opinion :)

Domino44
01-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Thanks Ilanthar

This is awesome, Domino! Very, very creative, and it looks beautiful. The only thing I'd change is the labeling – since every symbol is already self-describing, I think labeling is superfluous here. It'd look cleaner and show off the concept better without any latin letters, in my opinion :)

First of all thank you! :)

I really want to keep some of the labeling, but I can see what you mean. I was never very happy with the labels on the mountains and forest I do you think it works better without them: 60554

Jalyha
01-22-2014, 10:31 AM
I don't know. I liked both ways. I liked the names :P

But it does look cleaner without them.

(eaasy fix: make both maps and send them to me, I'll hang them up, stare at them for a couple months and let you know which is better! :P ;) :P )

Azelor
01-22-2014, 12:10 PM
You could try to labe the forests unsing only kanji.

rgcalsaverini
01-22-2014, 12:33 PM
That is a very interesting and original style! Where did you got the idea from?

Domino44
01-22-2014, 01:04 PM
You could try to labe the forests unsing only kanji.

This map isn't for any story or anything so I think I can get away with not labeling the forest and mountains. I like the map better without those labels, it looks cleaner to me.

That is a very interesting and original style! Where did you got the idea from?

Thanks rgcalsaverini! To be honest I do karate and I remember having the idea while we were practicing some kanji I think it was the kanji for mountain. I looked at more kanji and I thought that I could make a cool map out of kanji so I tried it. :)

Also some of the names are based off of karate terminology and some other Japanese words as well. :)

rgcalsaverini
01-22-2014, 09:33 PM
Hum, I've tried karate for a while. But eventually I just accepted that I hate sports and the bigger kids would still take my lunch money no matter what.

But seriously now, that's a really interesting concept. And I agree with you, for it to work it should be VERY clean, otherwise it will look confusing. I like that you used grayscale, no land texture or gradients and kept it clean, its a real all round concept and you should definitively use it again!

Domino44
01-23-2014, 08:48 AM
I will keep that in mind for the future, right now I have a few ideas that I want to do before I do another map with kanji but maybe someday I will run out of new ideas and redo an older one. :)

It was the first greyscale map I have done and I was a little worried about it at first but I got it the way I wanted it, and I'm glad you liked it too. :)

Lingon
01-23-2014, 10:36 AM
I like what you did in the latest version. Great call to keep the smaller labels!

Domino44
01-23-2014, 02:11 PM
Thanks Lingon! I 'm glad you think so.

fabio p
01-24-2014, 08:13 AM
If you don't mind me asking, which style of karate do you practice?

As regards to the map, I really like the idea behind it and the implementation is convincing to me, except maybe the rivers, they seem more tree trunks than waterways in my opinion.

Notsonoble
01-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Late finding this, but it's amazing.

Domino44
01-24-2014, 04:11 PM
If you don't mind me asking, which style of karate do you practice?

As regards to the map, I really like the idea behind it and the implementation is convincing to me, except maybe the rivers, they seem more tree trunks than waterways in my opinion.

I do Hidy Ochiai, Washin Ryu karate. :)

Thanks I'm glad you liked it! :)

Late finding this, but it's amazing.

Thanks a lot! :)

Domino44
01-24-2014, 11:38 PM
So this is the last draft of this map that I'm going to do. It's finished! yay!

I thought I would also show you the Kanji for Island. I said in my first post that the land shape and the way I placed the kanji on the map outlines the Island kanji. Hopefully you will be able to see the parallelism between the symbol for Island and the land shape itself. :)

Larb
01-24-2014, 11:47 PM
It's a really well executed and creative idea. Inspiration for a monthly challenge theme too I think.

Domino44
01-25-2014, 11:30 AM
Thanks Larb!

Azelor
01-25-2014, 11:22 PM
So this is the last draft of this map that I'm going to do. It's finished! yay!

I thought I would also show you the Kanji for Island. I said in my first post that the land shape and the way I placed the kanji on the map outlines the Island kanji. Hopefully you will be able to see the parallelism between the symbol for Island and the land shape itself. :)

Pretty clever. I did not noticed it.

Domino44
01-27-2014, 01:34 PM
I just wanted to give one last shout out to everyone who commented, liked, or gave a rep to this map. It is all much appreciated! :)

Jalyha
01-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Was gonna rep it again just for gp... but apparently that's not allowed :(

- Max -
01-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Was gonna rep it again just for gp... but apparently that's not allowed :(

You can't rep same post twice and you have to spread 10 rep before being able to rep
the same guilder again.

Btw Domino that would have been top notch to draw the coastline while trying to follow a similar thickness variation as the callygraphy symbol.