PDA

View Full Version : January/February 2014 Lite Challenge: Vacruel's Eyeball

rgcalsaverini
01-19-2014, 04:57 PM
Brief description:
" When a huge boulder rolled down the great peak and sat calmly on the muddy plains, still retaining its unusual shape, the locals knew it was no ordinary thing. It was obviously the eyeball of the feared titan Vacruel, violently removed after a fight with his younger brother Patenide.
The titanic priests immediately begun the construction of what is now the only remaining temple devoted exclusively to Vacruel's adoration, built on top of the titan's eyeball. Who else on the land can claim such an accomplishment?"

So I had a brainstorm and this was the most interesting output, i plan on doing an isometric map with a small top view, just because I've never done one.

Maybe it is a tad too unusual, do you think its promising? Should I scratch it and pick something else? The circle, square and triangle are visible enough?

I'm a bit bothered by extreme fantasy. Is the round boulder (!) not being blasted by the fall (!) a bit too much?

Jalyha
01-19-2014, 05:53 PM
ohmygosh that's so creative!!!

I don't know if the shapes have to be precise or not, but I can see them fine.

And... there ARE nearly-perfect shapes in the real world.

From the heart nebula:

to square trees:

to perfectly round lakes/islands:

So... no, I don't see a problem with the round boulder.

If it rolled slowly, over mossy ground, and found a soft-ish landing, I could buy it as possible - though improbable.

If it were for a children's fantasy story - it'd be perfectly normal :P

It's not up to me, but if it were, I'd say go for it.

PS: Does that tree make anyone else want to play minecraft? maybe with a case of mountain dew and 20 bags of doritos?

JUST SAYIN.

rgcalsaverini
01-19-2014, 06:16 PM
Thanks! It was the only interesting thing I could think of.

Oh my, you are really good at that! I shall ask for your opinion whenever I want to do something but lack to confidence to. (By the way, along those lines, should I ditch school and hit the beach? Its only a 6 hour drive...)

I'll make it a gentle slope and a swampy region then =)

This is the sketch that I intend to follow:

### Latest WIP ###

Oh, we don't have mountain dew on the barbaric lands I call home. But then again, you guys don't have Guaraná, who's laughing now?

Jalyha
01-19-2014, 06:22 PM
You just asked a mom/former teacher if you should ditch school :P

Who's laughing now? ;)

I like your sketch already. Look's like I'll have to work a little harder on my challenge entry, lol. (Hey, I have shapes, it's a start!)

You're lucky you don't have Mountain Dew. It's addictive. And really, really bad for you! :)

PS: Make sure you type:

### Latest WIP ###

before each new image, so it updates!! :)

Bogie
01-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Nice start, cool idea, love the backstory!

rgcalsaverini
01-19-2014, 09:38 PM
Thanks Bogie :) Let's hope that I can actually make it, I have the impression that I'm biting more than I can chew.

### Latest WIP ###

Jalyha
01-19-2014, 10:34 PM
you can do it ... I'll nag you till you do :P :P :P

rgcalsaverini
01-20-2014, 08:10 AM
That will actually help a lot :) I'll travel in a few days and if I don't run there's no way I'll ever finish on time, that's assuming that I have the skill to.

### Latest WIP ###

Obs: Typo on the map above, its Vacruel, with an A.

Jalyha
01-20-2014, 11:56 AM
It's looking great so far :D

(I didn't see the typo until you pointed to it! :P )

jbgibson
01-21-2014, 02:11 AM
It's already 3/4 awesome.

Are the plains scared, or scarred?

rgcalsaverini
01-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Thanks Jbgibson! Hope I can finish it...
And definitively scarred =) Another typo there, thanks for catching it.

rgcalsaverini
01-21-2014, 04:06 PM
The temple:

Lingon
01-22-2014, 08:54 AM
That's one great looking temple :)

Azelor
01-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Well, well, this is coming along nicely !

Bogie
01-22-2014, 05:50 PM
I like the temple!

rgcalsaverini
01-22-2014, 11:33 PM
At first I decided to make the map monochromatic, but things were looking way too dull so this is my (most likely failed) attempt at coloring the map. I just found out that I suck at digital coloring.
I've hit a wall here, I don't know what to do with the map now :( Something's not right, is it too dark? Is it just bad painting? Should I go back to monochromatic? Should I jump off my window?

### Latest WIP ###
Since its a muddy region, I figured that it would be a brown muddy river. Does a clean blue one looks better?

Jalyha
01-22-2014, 11:39 PM
I like the color. I think you're just being hard on yourself for no reason :P

A brown river makes more sense but the blue looks better (my own opinion). Maybe a dirtier blue? :P I don't know... but it looks fantastic ^_^

Diamond
01-23-2014, 12:05 AM
Yep. You are far too hard on yourself, my friend. I think that coloring looks pretty fantastic. I agree with J in that the muddy river makes more sense, but the blue one does look better.

rgcalsaverini
01-23-2014, 12:34 AM
Yep. You are far too hard on yourself, my friend. I think that coloring looks pretty fantastic. I agree with J in that the muddy river makes more sense, but the blue one does look better.

I like the color. I think you're just being hard on yourself for no reason :P

A brown river makes more sense but the blue looks better (my own opinion). Maybe a dirtier blue? :P I don't know... but it looks fantastic ^_^

I don't usually share what I make, because I don't usually like what I make, lol. But this forum is being a great exercise on that part! Maybe you're right.
But something does seem off, maybe I've just been looking at this for too long and need a break.

Blue it is then, I'll try to make it 'dirty blue', just no idea how right now :p

Robin Ryuu
01-23-2014, 01:08 AM
What if you tried a lighter brown or a green tint?

rgcalsaverini
01-23-2014, 01:19 AM
So, added a little bit of grass, changed the river color and colored the temple.

### Latest WIP ###

rgcalsaverini
01-23-2014, 01:21 AM
What if you tried a lighter brown or a green tint?

You mean for the river? Yeah that makes a lot of sense, I'll experiment with greens and browns. Thanks for the input :)

Jalyha
01-23-2014, 01:35 AM
I don't usually share what I make, because I don't usually like what I make, lol. But this forum is being a great exercise on that part! Maybe you're right.
But something does seem off, maybe I've just been looking at this for too long and need a break.

I almost don't want to say this, cause I want you to keep sharing :P

But..

I think what seems off is the river. Not the color, but...

It seems to me that your land slopes like this: (Red lines)

Which means your rivers might move (?) like the blue line(s) cause it looks (when I examined closely to see what's throwing you off) as if your river is running sideways in a hill.

OR I could be looking at it wrong.... ? I don't know. I didn't see it till I looked really closely... :P

As for dirtying up the water.... idk... I'm stuck on the same thing :( It's so much easier with actual paints...

EDIT: When I looked at my post, it seemed as if IF I was right, that the water would fill the area gouged out by the eyeball/boulder? Iunno...

Bogie
01-23-2014, 01:37 AM
The colors and the grass really make it pop! The blue is a little bright but not bad, I would just drop the color saturation a little. Looking great, and I haven't even started mine yet.

rgcalsaverini
01-23-2014, 02:33 AM
The colors and the grass really make it pop! The blue is a little bright but not bad, I would just drop the color saturation a little. Looking great, and I haven't even started mine yet.

Will do, thanks for the suggestion. I'm worried about the time because I will travel (and freeze to death, never saw snow) to eastern Europe in a few days.

I almost don't want to say this, cause I want you to keep sharing :P

On the contrary, criticism is how I improve, its essential :)

I think what seems off is the river. Not the color, but...

You are SO very right, that's whats bothering me! The problem is, as I first intended the slope should remain more-or-less flat once the hill had finished, and the boulder would change the river course (but maybe not that dramatically on real life) for a while, until the river eroded the landslide and returned to its original course. But due to a few unfortunate decisions it does give the impression that it starts to climb again just before the boulder, making a sort of 'U' shape.

I believe that the culprits are the following:

- The bolder fell at an angle, not perpendicular to the viewer (check the mini-map on top) so the oblique path helps to create the wrong slope impression.
- The small branch of water just above the temple is also at an angle, supporting it even further.

I think that the way to fix it would be to try to make those straighter, but that would mean a huge rework on the map :\ I'll try my hand at that tomorrow.

Thanks for pointing it out!

It's so much easier with actual paints...

And let me second that!

Jalyha
01-23-2014, 02:40 AM
I believe that the culprits are the following:

- The bolder fell at an angle, not perpendicular to the viewer (check the mini-map on top) so the oblique path helps to create the wrong slope impression.
- The small branch of water just above the temple is also at an angle, supporting it even further.

I think that the way to fix it would be to try to make those straighter, but that would mean a huge rework on the map :\ I'll try my hand at that tomorrow.

Or.... maybe you could do something, like... i don't know, this, maybe?:

Would probably not work as well, but it would be a lot easier to fix...?

rgcalsaverini
01-23-2014, 02:46 AM
I quickly cut and turned the flattened image, and it does seem that if done properly would fix the issue:

Or.... maybe you could do something, like... i don't know, this, maybe?:

Would probably not work as well, but it would be a lot easier to fix...?

That's another alternative, I'll play with the options tomorrow. Thanks Jalyha ;)

Jalyha
01-23-2014, 03:40 AM
Oh, that's 100 times better already :)

I want to go there! :P

If I can nitpick? The bend in the river above the goblin road also looks like it might spill over. That could just be the light/shading, though.

Azelor
01-23-2014, 10:01 AM
It's really looking good :) I was considering joining the contest but now I'm hesitating a bit.

Lingon
01-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Coming along very nicely! Really a creative way of using the shapes :)

Jalyha
01-23-2014, 01:17 PM
It's really looking good :) I was considering joining the contest but now I'm hesitating a bit.

You should join! More people will be more fun!

rgcalsaverini
01-23-2014, 02:14 PM

Thanks :) Its only my 3rd map and I'm kinda lost. Hesitating, but why? Join! The more the merrier!

Coming along very nicely! Really a creative way of using the shapes :)

Thank you, it was the only creative idea I had.

If I can nitpick? The bend in the river above the goblin road also looks like it might spill over. That could just be the light/shading, though.

Right as always :) I'll address that as soon as I fix the rest.

Jalyha
01-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Woot... agreement that I'm always right. Can't wait to rub that in to my family ;)

:P :P :P

rgcalsaverini
01-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Woot... agreement that I'm always right. Can't wait to rub that in to my family ;)

:P :P :P

Well, on my own experience, telling your family "Hey! Someone on the internet told me I'm right! On your face!" doesn't raise many eyebrows :P
After many hours remaking pretty much the whole map, I'm precisely where I was this same time yesterday... I love to remake things...

rgcalsaverini
01-23-2014, 06:51 PM
### Latest WIP ###

So this is where I am.
I would love to hear some opinions, especially about the border (which I'm definitely not sure about) and river. Should I keep that guide-line-thing coming out of the compass? Anything else bothering you?

PS: How do you call a very small waterfall in English?

Jalyha
01-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Okay so... I kind of like the direction line, now that I realize what it is... at first I thought it was a mistake, or a fault in the rocks....

So... a few things...

1) This is absolutely gorgeous. I might have to give up on my whole entry! :P

2) The castle looks great.

3) The mill is fantastic.. the way the water is splashing is awesome.

4) I love what you've done with the river current, and the color doesn't bother me anymore. :P

5) New fall is awesome... but! Where is it coming from?

Now... to be nitpicky again... (sorry!)

1. It still looks (to me!) that the river is going to spill down onto the road.

2. The little star-shaped puddle looks like it's on a hill.

Here are the slopes *I* see... might be that others don't see it, but...

I personally like the border, but there's a weird spot where the color juts out past it, past the goblin road... *shrug* it's not a big thing, though

fabio p
01-24-2014, 06:31 AM
I would eliminate the line coming out of the compass; and I agree with Jalyha, the waterfall needs some refining, even if it comes out from the underground, the source is not clear.

I like the border and I must say you seem to be a badass at drawing and colouring! You’re doing a really good job, in my opinion.

rgcalsaverini
01-24-2014, 11:18 AM
@fabio p:
I feared that the line could no be saved, okay, will remove it. You are also right about the waterfall, I'll give it more work.
Grazie per i complimenti, siete molto gentili! I'm not so sure about that tho, I kinda suck at drawing, I just try hard to enough to fool people... hehe

@Jalyha:

1) Thank, you are way too kind :) But don't be silly, you're not giving up on anything. I'm just rushing my entry due to time issues, you still have plenty of time to develop your's to your liking, and its already turning great!

3) But if you look really close, its splashing to the wrong way lol

4) Great, the river was a big concern.

5) Ha, funny, at the minute I started making it I thought "Huum, Jalyha will not like this waterfall here", I even made up an excuse in advance this time. See this region is plagued by frequent mild earthquakes, that makes landslides and the like a common sight. On one of such quakes, that rock... Let me stop right here, I swear that it was better than that when I first thought of it!

About the river-road thing: I agree with this one, but I'm having a hard time fixing it :\

About the puddle: Really? I don't look at the puddle like that. But one person is enough, I'll try to relocate it or fix the shading.

About the border: That was by design, but it did seemed much better on my head than it did on the map...

EDIT: I was trying to fix the waterfall but didn't got very far. What is bothering about it? Is it the fact that its kinda floating there? If it comes from the up above the mountain like your every-day waterfall, is that a fix?

Jalyha
01-24-2014, 12:06 PM
The waterfall thing is easy... it's coming out from the hill, right? There's two ways it could be getting there... through a hole/cave/crevass in the hill, or from OVER the hill. You can't see higher up on the hill because of the smudg-y border, (which I kind of like), but the waterfall doesn't start there. It's clearly mid-hill. So it needs to come OUT of something... either a hole, or a crack, or you could have it cutting *through* the hill, but you'd need to make a.. canyon-like thing.

I don't know how to explain...

The puddle you could probably turn it slightly and be fine. It's actually not bad, I just... notice stuff...
apparantly not everything though ...
I didn't even notice that about the mill!! :p

I'd write more but we woke up late, so.... ya

rgcalsaverini
01-26-2014, 01:16 AM
This is a pointless intermission and slightly off topic (and maybe even in bad taste), just skip it :)

Soooo, since I'm having a hard time finishing my challenge, I decided to draw this Vacruel titan guy who got his eye removed. Since on my story titans are evil demigods, and its a violent event, I tried to make a darkish deformed scene, but maybe it got a tad too dark? lol (When is something dark when is it just in bad taste?). But I'll share it anyway.

Diamond
01-26-2014, 01:50 AM
Heh. Love the expression on his face. "Wot? Someone hooked me eyeball!"

Jalyha
01-26-2014, 10:09 AM
scary D:

(And lol @ Diamond!)

I think it's funny AND scary... which is weird cause your map is all cute and peaceful and idyllic and you can just laugh at these people that think this rock is a god/demon's eye.. and then RAWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR That's what's in their minds and I was all: :o :o :o

rgcalsaverini
01-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Heh, yeah, Vacruel got a bit scarier than I first sketched him to be. If I ever do write a few titanic-holy-book verses, one will be something like:
" Overtaken by the wrath of a thousand flames, Vacruel stood at the top of the mountain, and with a sound matching the thunders up above he uttered: 'Wot? Someone hooked me eyeball!' ".

### Latest WIP ###

So, fixed light, colors and texture, added Uri's crops and finished the fall. This is most likely my last upload and therefore the final version (or not).

Some points:
I have failed to eliminate the impression that the river might claim the road anytime soon, when the road should be above the river's level. I'm a day away from resorting to adding a picture of Gandalf between the two saying "Tho shall not pass!". While I have not given up on the subject, I'm not optimistic.
Also, I know the crops are not following the terrain's slope, but this is just a small backyard veggie garden, and poor ol'Uri probably doesn't even own a mule (yeah, I forgot while drawing and only spotted it now... :p)

Edit: Is it obvious enough where my shapes are?

Jalyha
01-26-2014, 04:33 PM
You drew grass in the star puddle! :P

I think Uri's fields are fine, considering there's the eyeball of a scary demon god 12 feet away... it's probably scared him right up the hill :P

The fall is great :)

I see you also fixed the spray off the mill, edited the river and.. did you add more rocks/boulders?

I think it looks great, and I'm sure you're fine with the shapes :)

yknow.... if it bothers you, you could probably fix the river thing by having it run at an angle off the bottom of the map... that would direct it away from the road...

maybe. idk.

I think it's fine as it is! :)

jbgibson
01-31-2014, 05:07 PM
Life sometimes imitates art: Mother Nature of the Day: Giant Boulder in Italy Takes Out One Building, Another Misses by Inches (http://cheezburger.com/58031105) :-)

Great work by the way - I've enjoyed watching this develop!

Jalyha
01-31-2014, 05:50 PM
Wow lol that's awesome.

I mean those poor people but.. :P

rgcalsaverini
02-02-2014, 07:23 AM
@jbgibson: Wow! That's amazing! I hope nobody got hurt, (it looks like it only destroyed a barn?) but that is really interesting.

Thanks guys for the help and reviews! I'll travel abroad and will have limited to no access to the internet for a month or so. Good luck to everybody on the challenge :)

Bogie
02-02-2014, 09:29 AM
The map is great rgcalsaverini, very original. jbgibson's video is so close to what you did it is amazing.

Jalyha
02-02-2014, 10:06 AM
Travel safe :) I promise not to hide your map come voting time O:-)