PDA

View Full Version : January/February 2014 Lite Challenge: Jannah Manor

Jalyha
01-19-2014, 06:02 PM
Yep, I'm real creative with names like that.

Figured I'd post my Circle, Triangle, Square Map in the very earliest stages - that way, any improvements will really look fantastic in comparison.

Probably not in comparison to the other members' projects, but at least in comparison to this one :D

Without further ado ....

TADA!!!

Jalyha
01-19-2014, 07:29 PM
I don't have a cool back-ground story yet, not even sure what I'm making, just kind of winging it....

### Latest WIP ###

Bogie
01-19-2014, 07:41 PM
So far I'm seeing Pictionary, can't wait to see what you do with it.

Jalyha
01-19-2014, 07:43 PM
PICTIONARY MAP!

Maybe a different challenge? :o

Actually I'm kind of in the same position as before... no idea where I'm going with this.

Edit: Okay, now I have a vague idea...

### Latest WIP ###

Jalyha
01-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Starting to look like... something :/

### Latest WIP ###

EDIT: A zoom in on the mountains so you can see the triangle is still there:

Domino44
01-19-2014, 10:59 PM
it looks cool so far, I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

Jalyha
01-20-2014, 12:55 AM
.......... k so... I lost my square, but I will find it.

I changed the map size because now I know what I want to focuse on. I changed the forest to a lake, testing the "rain" texture on there for now, fixed the castle a bit, and worked on the mountains.

### Latest WIP ###

baby steps...

rgcalsaverini
01-20-2014, 11:57 AM
I love your castle! Do you have a closer look of it?

It might just be me, but isn't the lake on a different perspective than the mountains?

Jalyha
01-20-2014, 01:07 PM
The castle doesn't look good close up yet, but I'll do a zoom in when next I open GIMP (my computer is recovering from last night) :P

And yes, as of this moment, the lake is in trouble. They WERE in the same perspective, but apparently, I'm unable to draw top down mountains. I draw my squiggles and it looks like a landscape >.< (and the castle adds to that impression, I think)

So I'll fiddle with the lake a bit and see if it comes out the same way... if not, I'll have to start over. (At least there's more time for this challenge! lol)

Jalyha
01-21-2014, 02:31 AM
So... not much today...

nothing worth showing, but I DID promise a close up of the castle, so here it is:

Jalyha
01-21-2014, 10:14 AM
shmmm I'm really struggling here.

I already lost my square, and, in trying to fix the lake to be in perspective with the mountains, I lost my circle.

If I KEEP the lake, and change the view of the mountains/castle, I'll lose my triangle. (and most of like, all the work I've done on it) so...

I'm not sure what I'm going to do here. I may have to restart. If I DON'T restart, I have to find a new circle and a new square, but I don't want to work on something for very long and THEN change, because it won't leave me enough time.

I'll start by turning the "lake" back into a forest, and see if that helps at all. I'd ask for suggestions, but that seems a bit unfair, as everyone else is being so creative with their own entries. :P

Soo.... I'll update once I know what I'm doing. :D

Carbus
01-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Why don`t you make it an Artificial Lake? A perfect circle, made by some master stoneworkers.. :P

Jalyha
01-21-2014, 10:42 AM
I had it like that, but the *perspective* was different from the perspective of the mountains, and it didn't gel.

I don't know how to draw top-down mountains :( (I've tried the tutorials, somehow, even when I do exactly what it says, it looks like a side-view)

Carbus
01-21-2014, 11:22 AM
Following your castle perspective, I think it should be kinda like this:

Jalyha
01-21-2014, 11:42 AM
yeap. I had the same idea:

Unfortunately, that's no longer a circle, but an oval. :/

The contest is very specifically: Include those shapes. It's the *only* guideline. So I can make it work... but then I need to find a new circle, and I STILL need to find a new square :(

Oh well, it wouldn't be a challenge if it wasn't challenging, would it? :P

rgcalsaverini
01-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Great castle! Which software are you using?
But if your map have some perspective, I think its understandable that the shape is perceived as an oval, it's still a circle, just with a different representation, I don't see a problem with it.

Jalyha
01-21-2014, 04:12 PM
Ummm thanks! I'm using GIMP :)

I wouldn't worry about it if it weren't a contest, but everyone else's entries are so great, I feel like I must comply strictly to the guidelines. It's okay though... I think I've figured something out.

Probably won't work, but I have something to try, at least :)

Jalyha
01-21-2014, 06:29 PM
Okay, so, I was experimenting with some colors on a duplicate layer, and thought I would share it so people don't think I've given up :)

(It doesn't look proper, because I didn't color in everything, but I am selecting my palette.) What do you think of the mountain colors? Too dark? Too light? Too boring? I haven't selected a midtone yet, but I think I like the darker shade?

### Latest WIP ###

Jalyha
01-21-2014, 11:13 PM
So.....

My 4 year old was watching me work, and asked why I was "furster-raided". He's been watching the maps here on the forums with me a bit, even comments on some of them, so I told him I was making a map for a contest.. He asked "map of what?" and I said "A circle, a triangle, and a square".

He ran off, and I went back to avoiding making my map.

Then he comes back with this:

(I did the crayon labels you can barely see... woot woot...?)

Anyway, he asked me to "put it on the contest" and "tell me when I win it mommy" and he walked off.

My son is autistic and rarely says anything, so I didn't have the heart to tell him he can't enter. But I figure he'll get a kick out of clicking it on the forums anyway. :)

(If you're curious, it's (top to bottom) two mountains a house and a tree)

Jalyha
01-22-2014, 02:14 PM
And I lost my triangle.

Now I have none of the shapes for the contest!!

I decided to start over and try something more focused on the shapes. Since I'm having so many problems with perspective for mountains and things on the maps I've tried, I'm going to go for something smaller...

I found a couple of pictures of MANOR and CASTLE maps: Harewood (http://photos.zoochat.com/large/dscf00241-54887.jpg) and Wentworth (http://www.lisastinnerkun.com/images/pictures/Wentworth-Guide-Map-Tourism.jpg) and I was thinking I might try something like that.

In my artwork, I have no trouble with landscapes, and tons of trouble with buildings. In mapping I've had tons of trouble with landscapes, and I'm hoping I won't have as much trouble with buildings.

So, while my son was drawing shapes, I was working on the start of a huge estate.

Since the shapes are obvious, I won't point them out, but here is what I've done so far:

I'm sorry for the abrupt switch, but I'm simply unable to complete my original entry in a manner that complies with the competition. :(

Bogie
01-22-2014, 06:49 PM
I think this is going to work much better!

Jalyha
01-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Thanks Bogie! :) I sure hope so. :P

I added some more stuff, and I just slapped some colors on a copy so I can see clearly what the things I have will be :)

Figured I'd put it up here.

### Latest WIP ###

Jalyha
01-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Advice??

adding a bunch of detail stuff at the moment, but something is wrong with my swing? Anyone know where I'm going wrong?

(The colors are just to help me see where I am working when I'm zoomed way in, they aren't going to stay!)

:( It looks weird

Bogie
01-23-2014, 12:25 AM
I think it is just the all green that makes it look "weird", my first impression is "circuit board", but it is just because of the color. Once you get some textures and better colors it will look fine.

rgcalsaverini
01-23-2014, 12:52 AM
Oh yeah, That works so much better! Its coming along really well!
I don't see anything wrong at all, maybe you're just too hard on yourself? :)
I agree with bogie, maybe whatever you feel its wrong comes from the lack of colors and textures.

Let me two maps that I think have the same feel and style so you can look for inspiration when you hit a wall:
Arnay (http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachments/finished-maps/50663d1356359951-city-arnay-nc_arnaywip.jpg)
Takauro (http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachments/finished-maps/60180d1389142854-takauro-village-maptakauro.jpg)

I did had more, but I don't remember the names. Ill post them here when I find it!

The castle from the other one was really promising, you should finished that one later, without the restraints :)

Jalyha
01-23-2014, 01:02 AM
Hooray! The gate in Arnay picture showed me what was wrong with my swing :P

I'm actually pretty happy, because this *feels* more like a map, lol :)

(Jealous that whoever did that map already had my maze idea, but oh well)

... I'll keep working at it and hope it's just a color issue :)

(And yes, I'm still working on the mountain/castle thing, but it's turning less map and more painting, so idk...)

jbgibson
01-23-2014, 02:45 AM
<shrug> ... I see two triangles, a lopsided square, and a circle-ish. Tell me again why he can't enter? Ooooooh - just because he didn't do his own labels. Hmmmm. Problematic, that.

Maybe if you had done *generic" labels as elements, y'know, and they were stuck onto his mountain-house-tree map like many of us rely on freely available symbols... I'd cut some slack for a guy who can't write very well yet just like I'd discount problems with the palette of a color-blind cartographer. Which we have, by the way. And last I remember his maps were great.

I don't take myself seriously, and I kid a lot, but I am NOT making fun of your son's map. It would be great if HE made fun out of it, y'know? Tell him somebody asked if you can see a train from that house. I'd draw tracks near my house. Plus they're a) an easy symbol that b) a four-year-old guy might like. I know - I was a four-year-old once. Might still be one...

If you're having trouble coming up with features you like that are the three shapes, try making the shapes negative spaces instead.

Jalyha
01-23-2014, 03:36 AM
<shrug> ... I see two triangles, a lopsided square, and a circle-ish. Tell me again why he can't enter? Ooooooh - just because he didn't do his own labels. Hmmmm. Problematic, that.

Maybe if you had done *generic" labels as elements, y'know, and they were stuck onto his mountain-house-tree map like many of us rely on freely available symbols... I'd cut some slack for a guy who can't write very well yet just like I'd discount problems with the palette of a color-blind cartographer. Which we have, by the way. And last I remember his maps were great.

I don't take myself seriously, and I kid a lot, but I am NOT making fun of your son's map. It would be great if HE made fun out of it, y'know? Tell him somebody asked if you can see a train from that house. I'd draw tracks near my house. Plus they're a) an easy symbol that b) a four-year-old guy might like. I know - I was a four-year-old once. Might still be one...

If you're having trouble coming up with features you like that are the three shapes, try making the shapes negative spaces instead.

Omg I just laughed at that for almost 20 minutes straight!

He can't enter because he can't type well enough to make his own account, and (as an avid club penguin-er) he knows better than to let anyone know his password, so he won't let me make one for him :P

(Plus I'm afraid I might get in trouble if my kid started posting: "uyeihgh;reh;b dog eih hrds hfdslgigbbebjebbreoeeeiuiueriurui" all over the forums. So...

No worries, though, he has his map hanging on the fridge, and he thinks (i don't know how) that he already won the challenge, so...

(and I totally believe you as a 4 year old)

If this manor-map doesn't work out, I'll try the negative space idea. I hadn't thought of that.

rgcalsaverini
01-23-2014, 03:54 AM
I somehow missed the post about your son's map before, that's ADORABLE! =)

uyeihgh;reh;b dog eih hrds hfdslgigbbebjebbreoeeeiuiueriurui.

Hey! That's my name right there, for real. Damn monosyllabic name, when people do the random typing thing, it always turns up! Lol

Jalyha
01-23-2014, 04:35 AM

He once said he wants to be an artist when he grows up. I asked if that's cause he wants to be like mommy. And he said "no i's better than mommy". I said "You're a better painter than me?" And he says yes, cause he just painted the WHOLE WALL. Sure enough, when I ran to check....

But anyway...

Tested some colors and textures to see if it helps... and fixed the swing (Yay!)

With and without my outline:

### Latest WIP ###

Is it any better?

Jalyha
01-23-2014, 05:59 AM
Actually, since I'm updating for the challenge, I should probably show the full map.

### Latest WIP ###

Azelor
01-23-2014, 10:59 AM
I like that. I did not read the whole thread but I don't think you should keep the outline around the maze. But your trees are interesting.

Jalyha
01-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Thanks!

I think you're right. I'm pretty sure the whole outline is going to go -not just the maze. Or most of it, anyway, but I do need it while I work things out :P

I've had everything zoomed in to like 800% as I work. (The canvas is 3000x3000 pixels.)

The trees are, at the moment, 3 layers - well, 2 really - of transparency. The first is just a circle with a largish dot in the center. The second layer, I made jagged-y lines out from the center for the branches. I got the idea from architectural drawings of trees like the ones here (http://dallaterra.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/1106_Carlson_FinalRendering.jpg). On the third layer, I was trying to get the same stippling effect as when I dab at trees with my brush, but it took a lot of trial and error... I'm not used to digital art :P I finally used a "chalk" brush about 1/4 the diameter of the tree. Then I just dabbed at it, in spiral starting in the center of the tree. I use the circle and branches as a guide, but don't worry about getting it straight. Then I got rid of the 1st layer with the circle.

The rose bush, flower bed, and tree inside the maze are just outlines filled in the same way with chalk.

I still need to do shading on them all, but I'm not sure yet if I'm happy with the effect or not. There must be an easier/better way, but I don't know what it is yet. :)

The hedge maze is simply an outline on the first layer, and traced with the vegetation brushes. It needs shading too! :(

I've no idea what to do with the wall (right now it's the "crack" texture, as a placeholder but that looks really bad at full size :( ) or the paths.

I haave an idea for the building roofs, but I think I've made my maze/gardens too large? so I might have to expand outside the walls. I don't want to use a larger canvas because my computer is screaming at me, and I don't want to scale anything down and lose too much detail (there's not a lot to start with) so I'm not sure what to do here...

Suggestions are welcome! :P

Jalyha
01-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Added some more paths, and ... random stuff.

I'm feeling really stuck!

This is what I have so far, but with a copy over the top with things filled in so i can see more clearly:

### Latest WIP ###

I'm not sure where to go from here :/

fabio p
01-24-2014, 07:06 AM
Well I’m not good at technical advices, as I’m myself still struggling with graphic software but if you need some ideas while stuck… well I would start thinking at a border for the whole map and at a legend and maybe at the shield of the family who hold the castle?

I would also work on colours to make them more gentle; and, the castle, I think it’s to tiny compared to other elements of the map; the rose bush alone could be the size of the ballroom of the castle.

Anyway, do not get me wrong, I like how the work is progressing, and I wait to see the rest!

Jalyha
01-24-2014, 07:20 AM
Oh, those aren't my final colors! Just a guide! I think what you thought was the rosebush is my terrible attempt at coloring the gazebo roof :P

But I think you are right, my manor IS a little too small.

I'll take your suggestion and work on other things while I try to come up with a way to fix everything.

Thank you for the advice andd the encouragement!

fabio p
01-24-2014, 07:34 AM
You're welcome! I'm looking forward your next updates :)

rgcalsaverini
01-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Its looking great Jalyha! Maybe adding more details to the roof will help? Kinda like Larb's Arnay?

Jalyha
01-24-2014, 01:37 PM
Stayed up all night and (hopefully) fixed a few things.

What I did:

1. Edited grass texture... (better or worse?)

2. Moved the walls for a) more space to work, and b) better/easier layout

3. Added and changed some buildings and gardens.

4. Started placing some of the gardens

5. Outlined some more tree-type things

6. Traced over the paths so I could see what they look like - I'm not happy with them :(

7. Added an arch over my entrance!! :)

8. Started playing with ideas for the roofs

9. Random small changes

### Latest WIP ###

Jalyha
01-24-2014, 06:57 PM
did a lot of detail work, but it's probably not real noticeable at a reduced size... so here's the fullsized map.

Note:
1) The labels are not going to go there, they won't be red, and they won't be in that font. I simply wanted to point out what everything will be, for easier discussion.

2) My manor looks small, because all I have is the outline of the 1st floor. Trying to figure out how to give it the height I need, and I'm thinking part of the roof(s) will overhang other objects currently visible on the map... if that works, I won't have to resize it

3) I know my paths are awful, they are just a placeholder. But, then again, I truly don't know how to do paths, so....

4) Ideally, there won't be ANY outlines, when I'm finished. They're there as a guide.

My progress so far:

### Latest WIP ###

Jalyha
01-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Any advice/comments/criticism?

Okay, I found a technique for making believable roof patterns (Really, it's an overlay of 3-4 of the basic textures that come with gimp, combined with a weird brush, and LOTS of shading, so not *entirely* from scratch. Just saying....) and I'm totally in love with the roof on my shed, gardeners house, but the one I finished for the lower level of the manor didn't turn out as well... I'll need to find a new technique for the different pattern, or else draw every detail out by hand instead of being lazy!

I put pebbled borders around the flowerbeds and hedges, and where I'll be putting the rest of the bushes. I fixed the hedge maze (which now looks more like hedges and less like a green sheet on the ground.

I resized my south gardens so it was even, and more appropriate to the size of the manor, but I don't want to do too much of that, because I think the gardens are the main focus for these people :)

I also resized the gate/wall a bit... it was WAY too thick... probably still is. iunno.

And everything is a little crooked, I think... I just found out I can use shift to make straight lines (aside from using the path tool) ! Maybe I can do a little better now.

Added lots of detail/shading stuff, but still tons more to do.

and... more stuff but some of it is only visible when other layers aren't, so...

Here's what I have so far:
### Latest WIP ###

Next steps:

I think I'm going to do each layer from the ground up, so I'll start with the smallest bushes, then the larger ones, steps and then low roofs.

Then I will do my trees and then the higher roofs.

Then I'll fix the walls, try to reposition everything more evenly, enlarge the manor if necessary, add paths, do all the light and shadows, add borders, a key, idunno whatelse...

So much work, so little time !!

But I'm determined to finish this one: No restarts!!

rgcalsaverini
01-25-2014, 02:12 PM
Wow! That was quite an improvement!
I really love the shed roof, nice texture and depth. But maybe adding a little more light on the illuminated side would improve contrast from a distance.
What happened to the pathways? I liked them.
Did you made the grass greener or something? It looks better.
What is a paddock? =P

I'm enjoying this! Please don't get bored with this one and restart! lol

Jalyha
01-25-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks!! I still have to do all the light and shadows, so I'll make sure to pay attention to the roof then.

I'll have pathways, but I had to move/resize some things slightly, and since I wasn't satisfied with the *path* itself... I just put the layer invisible to work on later.

The grass... I added some texture and detail, and tiny white flowers hidden here and there in the grass, because, well, I'm silly. Mostly, though, I think it looks greener because I darkened some of the other plant-type thingies so they aren't all the same color :P

Ummmm... I said pasture/paddock because I'm not really sure what to call it - like a field for the horses to graze/exercise/be trained... idk. It will look better with stuff added, I hope :o

I still have to put a fence around it. How do you draw a fence top-down without it just looking like a line? :P

rgcalsaverini
01-25-2014, 02:44 PM
so they aren't all the same color
Thats actually great, I just found that out working on my challenge too. Just having different shades works wonders for texture!

About the fence, funny you asked, I just spent some time thinking about it and this is what I came up with:

Not that good, but its the best I could think up =P

Edit: Note that I can't make up my mind in which language to write when I'm making notes to myself, and end up mixing portuguese and english. lol

Jalyha
01-25-2014, 03:35 PM
OH yyou know what you're right. the shadow can give shape to the fence. :)

Also I just saw your post about your project and I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out what the portuguese bits said! :p

Jalyha
01-26-2014, 03:05 PM
YAY !!! I'm really excited because I think I've figured out this bird's eye view thing!

Okay, so...

I added trees and bushes. LOTS of trees and bushes. I moved some of the plant areas out of the way, so I could enlarge the manor, cause everyone was right and it was way too small :P

So I enlarged the manor, and added some stuff to a few of the lowest roofs. Then I got stuck cause now my outline is WORTHLESS.

And my wall isn't far enough around :(

I also did some work on the grass, and a LOT of shading work.

Next up: Light and shadow for the things I have done, and adding more roofs.

It's slow going cause I have like 999999999 layers now and I'm afraid to merge them :(

Here's what I have now:

### Latest WIP ###

rgcalsaverini
01-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Looking much cleaner now! Really like it :)
But I think that something is bothering me with the stable roof.

Jalyha
01-26-2014, 03:28 PM
Looking much cleaner now! Really like it :)
But I think that something is bothering me with the stable roof.

:P Cause I haven't done the stable roof yet... it's a placeholder :D

Jalyha
01-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Did some more detail work, added shadows to most stuff (not the roofs yet) made a statue and started on the barn roof:

### Latest WIP ###

Jalyha
01-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Okay so.... I added apples to my orchard, horses and some hay for them (though I still need to put in a fence so they don't run away!)

I finished my stable roof .. I think... I'm still not totally happy with it, but oh well...

I built a greenhouse, and I hope it's okay, cause I merged almost all of my layers!

I also did a TINY bit of shading, and added a wall, with some shadows, and... Idk what else.

I think, except for the fences, all I have left is the manor... but I'm probably wrong.

Then I just have to add all the info that makes it a map!!

### Latest WIP ###

Jalyha
01-27-2014, 01:15 AM
HELP!! :( :(

I've tried a billion different things and nothing is working! I'm trying to create a fountain for my map... it's aerial view... I've never done that before, and I can't figure out how to make the water spray and I've been working on it for hours and hours, and I almost threw my laptop out the window :o :D :o

Anyone know how to make water arc? :(

Here's what I'm working with, if anyone wants to advise me :(

Bogie
01-27-2014, 01:52 AM
Vertical water flow, from a top down view is very hard. I don't draw, I photomanipulate, so I can't tell you how to do it but I will post some examples of other peoples fountains so you can get some ideas.

Hope this helps a little.

Jalyha
01-27-2014, 02:19 AM
That helped tons!! <3

Thanks so much, Bogie!

Jalyha
01-27-2014, 02:44 AM
Okay, not *done* with the fountain, but it's coming along! :)

Also added my fences and some random stuff and WALKWAYS. Finally. Lol.

### Latest WIP ###

Opinions? D:

Domino44
01-27-2014, 11:39 AM
I think it's really coming along nicely. :)

Jalyha
01-27-2014, 12:05 PM
Thanks :P Mapping stuff is more difficult than I thought... It's hard to adjust the whole way you see the world! :o

Jalyha
01-27-2014, 01:44 PM
What is wrong with my map?!?!

When it's zoomed in, and I look at each feature individually, I'm pretty happy with it. Zoomed out, or in a thumbnail, it annoys me somehow..

I know there's the big manor roof to still be done, but is that really throwing it off so much?

I'll be working on that roof for hours (days) and I don't even want to start it if the map is going to look so awful :(

Does anyone know why it looks so off, from a distance?

- Max -
01-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Why would you care about thumbnail looking :?:

Jalyha
01-27-2014, 02:03 PM
More about the zoomed-out... the problem is the picture *as a whole* doesn't look right to me... all the little bits and bobs look fine, but not .. put together..?

Gamerprinter
01-27-2014, 02:10 PM
I think it looks fine. I'd probably choose a more varied grass, more than just one color of green, but that's a personal nitpick. You seem to have lots (too many) sidewalks/paths. While gardens tend to have many paths around, lots of garden features would be viewed from a distance without any sort of pathway leading to them. I'd probably cut the number of paths in half. I don't know your process, but I picture the finished map with some accuracy in my head before and during the act of mapping. So I have a good idea what I intend for a final map to appear, before I even begin. My maps tend to look like how I imagined them to be.

Jalyha
01-27-2014, 02:41 PM
Oh, maybe it is the grass... It doesn't look as "off" with a white background :P

I'll fix that.

The paths... I'm adding more garden features... I just wanted paths to the main ones first. I'll finish adding the features and then see about getting rid of a few paths, if it's still needed.

Thanks so much, it's been driving me crazy!!! :P

PS: I usually have an idea of what I want when I start painting.. and it usually comes out close to that ... but this map didn't work out that way... it wasn't even going to be a garden at first! It just... came alive on it's own :o

Jalyha
01-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Getting closer :/

### Latest WIP ###

Jalyha
01-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Okay so... I haven't added much, but what I did add took a lot of effort, so I wanted to make sure I posted it.

I was looking for inspiration for more of my garden features, and I found Bogie's (http://www.cartographersguild.com/members/bogie.html) amazing Mapping Elements (http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapping-elements/16821-mapping-elements-starting-preset-tables-chairs.html) topic.

There was a sarcophagus? chest? thing there that I just knew would be beautiful in my garden. I placed 4 of them near my statue :) (I'd tell you which post I snagged them from, but then you'd miss staring at all the pretty pictures again. :)

Thank you Bogie, for giving permission to use that!

Second - I built a Stone Compass Statue, since... cartographers... y'know... NOT that I'm trying to butter you all up for voting time, but yeah :P

It... took a while ... and I will probably still need to work on it a bit. *sigh*.

So... here it is:

### Latest WIP ###

Domino44
01-27-2014, 10:51 PM
I really like your fountain! I really can't wait to see the finished project!

The only thing I'm really craving for this map is some more color other than green. Maybe you could add a blossom tree? I don't know that just a thought...

Jalyha
01-27-2014, 11:12 PM
Hmm... I had apples in my orchard... but any more than a hint of red, and they looked too big. I LOVE the idea of a blossom tree, I just don't know how to make it work :(

but, you're right, it is all rather... green :P

I'll get some more color in there, one way or another :D

rgcalsaverini
01-28-2014, 01:24 AM
Wow, that is looking gorgeous!

Add ipe trees! I love ipe trees!

http://neighborhoodnursery.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/tabebuia-ipe-gift-shop.jpg
http://images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/90000-94999/92847/800/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_973416.jpg
http://mcgpxmt.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/ogaaahrhpqdamiqlqxz0pyyrtulbebppk4n8bu8pusbno09hm-v2ur_6s4wlcezqxbd45dfwe-uvvwqcv2r3uindt80am1t1ulw5ttv9uryydxhhndqhpw6c71mn .jpg

Jalyha
01-28-2014, 01:27 AM
Now, with COLOR! By request, I've added one special little blossom tree (where else would those petals by the lake come from??) And... I've spent so long working on this, AUTUMN has arrived, and the leaves are starting to turn!

I'd better hurry, or I'll need to rake them up off the lawn :(

I also did some work on the gateway arch, and I'm testing a gazebo... Something's off with it, but I don't know what. And since I've no idea what to do with the rest of my garden, yet, I've finally started on the manor roof... but it has a loooong way to go...

### Latest WIP ###

Bogie
01-28-2014, 02:58 AM
Looking great Jalyha, you have put a lot of work into it and the effort shows!

Jalyha
01-28-2014, 03:29 AM
Thank you! :) It's a lot harder than I thought it would be... but more fun, too :)

Domino44
01-28-2014, 11:59 AM
that looks really good! I love that you placed the blossom tree by the lake, the petals on the ground add a really nice touch as well. All I can think about is getting a good book and sitting under that tree by the lake and reading, it would be the perfect place to read! :)

Jalyha
01-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

How could I refuse with so much pressure? :P :P :P

About the tree... It *was* a perfect place to read... once... but then! :o

Nevermind, I'll tell you later! :D

Jalyha
01-28-2014, 05:02 PM
Anything to avoid the manor roof(s)!!

With the colored ipe-tree/blossom tree thingy in there, and the addition of my compass, I started to get a feel for the manor I was mapping - and why I was mapping it.

Jannah Manor is a peaceful haven in a modern world, not very unlike our own. Recently re-opened to tourists, the current Monsieur Jannah (or rather his PR team!) decided to offer a whimsical little guide/pamphlet, of which this map is a part.

I'd never imagined this world before today, so the names/stories are primarily a LOT of silliness, and a few semi-realistic bits of information hidden in between. Some of the names, however, DO have meanings or histories - and if you find them all, you'll realize how silly it is. :)

Some names were also chosen randomly :P

However, this is still very much a WIP, and I'm sure there's something wrong with what I have here :P

Also, I still need to do the left side, with the map data... and.. not sure what to do there...

AND I had to reduce the size because the forum wouldn't let me upload it! :P

ANYWAY here's my map/guidebook/pamphlet/thingy so far:

### Latest WIP ###

Jalyha
01-29-2014, 03:06 AM
I want to put a water feature in the NorthEast corner with a mosaic around it, but I am having problems. I've been building my mosaic ALL DAY so no update to the map, but I will show what I've done:

Azelor
01-29-2014, 12:18 PM
That would make a very fancy map border.

Jalyha
01-29-2014, 12:49 PM
Lol, it's supposed to be a mosaic for a patio in my garden, but it's going so slowly :( I guess it would make a nice border :D

Bogie
01-29-2014, 01:50 PM
Putting all those tiles down one at a time can take forever, but there is a quicker way.

Once you have a line of tiles, make a copy of the piece, rotate it 90 deg. and just use the clone tool to copy the line of tiles back onto the original making another side of the square, then rotate again and make the next side. This works as long as the piece is symetrical and does not have directional shadows on it. Here is a screen shot of me part way through, and the finished tile.

Gamerprinter
01-29-2014, 01:59 PM
Yes, definitely clone/duplicate what you've already created and use it again through out the map. Consider that when I generate a set of custom trees (for example) I try to create 20 - 30 unique versions of each tree, then I duplicate bunches of those trees as a group, rotate them, ungroup, move some around and in the end have a forest of trees that almost look like each one is unique, though there might be 10 sets of duplicates of everything. Speed under control is what I rely on in creating maps. Any shortcut to help maintain a faster end result is a primary goal of mine. Most maps I create, I create in a single sitting measured in hours. I don't like doing the same map day after day - I get bored, I don't want to finish if I can't do it quick. I will put in an extra hour or two, then I planned on, if I think I can finish a map in that time.

Jalyha
01-29-2014, 02:42 PM
OMG That would have saved so much time :(

I did try rotating one of my (larger) tiles, but it got all blurry? Am I doing it wrong? (It let me flip one, vertically or horizontally, but not rotate a large piece?)

Anyway, I will DEFINITELY do that next time. (And the treee thing instead of trying to add each one !! :D

Well, here's my "process" on the mosaic.. it really is tile by tile, one pixel at a time! (Yep, Imma noob).

And the finished product, added to my map (Though I think I should put it somewhere else?!)

Jalyha
01-29-2014, 03:54 PM
Um. Help?

So, I saved my work (thank goodness!) and closed Gimp, cause my computer was screaming at me. Then I went to open it again and my computer freezes (completely) every time I try to open Gimp!

I dunno what to do D:

Gamerprinter
01-29-2014, 04:34 PM
Remove GIMP from your computer, reload GIMP.

I'm not a major GIMP user, but that's what I'd do, unless there some other obvious fix, I kind of think you will need to do that.

Jalyha
01-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Will it still save my map? :(

Nevermind, it worked! :D Thanks so much <3

Jalyha
01-30-2014, 05:31 PM
Omg 24 hours without an update? Are you having withdrawals? :(

Sorry, I was playing with goats! :P

Okay so... enough silliness. Here's what I've done on my manor and gardens in the last 25 hours:

### Latest WIP ###

Doesn't look like much, I know... but that roof is a pain in the neck. Almost everything else is merged now (hope there's no problems!) and I've got 50ish layers of ROOF!

But yeah.. roofs are cool 8)

Anyway, I'll go back to my goats... gotta keep them off the roofs...

(This blathering is what sleep deprivation does to you! :o Scary, huh? Plus... running out of stuff to say about roofs, so....)

Jalyha
01-30-2014, 08:12 PM
Oops... I did my working screen. Oh well. Minor update here, and testing a file size issue :P

### Latest WIP ###

Diamond
01-31-2014, 01:27 AM
This is coming along quite nicely, Jalyha!

schattentanz
01-31-2014, 08:40 AM
This is all kinds of impressive, Jalyha.
Especially when comparing the first to the current WIP steps :)

Jalyha
01-31-2014, 11:03 AM
THANKS! :)

I think I've found my niche. :) I just have to do this mapping thing a completely different way than my painting, lol ^_^

Next up... getting ambitious... (and inspired by goats) Imma add a WATERFALL feature!! (if i can :o )

Jalyha
01-31-2014, 04:34 PM
omg water/waterfalls are HAARD. I cheated a little bit by covering most of it in MOSS and plants cause it's sooooooooooooooooooooooo hard. But I think it's pretty good for my first real attempt at a bird's eye view. :) (Well for me anyway)

&& I won't improve if ya'll don't pick my picture apart, so feel free to criticize :P

Edit: Omg I don't know how to label ANY of this :(

Jalyha
01-31-2014, 10:06 PM
Getting close to finished, I think :) I'll add some variation to the land height, finish the manor roof(s)

(Okay, is it "roofs" or "rooves"??? Starting to irritate me ! :( )

ANYway I hope it's done soon cause I'm tired of trying to think of more garden-y stuff :P

Uhhhh... it didn't update >.<

Let me try again:

### Latest WIP ###

Jalyha
02-01-2014, 01:46 AM
I'M DONE, YAY!

My next post will be the final "Latest WIP" post, with the contest entry as it will remain (barring any tragedies). I just wanted to post a little about the process first, so as not to clutter the final post up, for those people who just want to see a *map*. If there's a rule against that, some nice CL can just merge my posts, right? :)

Anyway...

This is my first *finished* map. I've found I'm not very good at mapping. I'm great with colors and textures and blends. I know (usually) what does and does not look good together. I simply don't know what things look like from a mappish point of view. I keep trying to do isometric, since that's closest to my passion/semi-income-source-occupation, painting landscapes. It always starts to look more like a painting, and less like a map. This does, too, I'm sure, but at least it has all those "map" elements.

So.. I finished it. I found that approaching it as entirely separate from painting helped a lot. But.. none of my paintings took this long. In fact, this is the longest I've ever stuck to *anything* and actually finished it.

How did that happen? It was the Cartographer's Guild. That's right. You guys. Little words of advice and encouragement (even when it still looked AWFUL!) and just knowing all these people are watching, so I *can't* give up.

And I was going to do a full list of thank yous and credits, but the truth is... I can't.

Every single WIP thread and every single tutorial on this site is in this map. I learned to *think* about how the water looks under the land from above from the guides on coastlines (lake), and how water moves from all the nagging river posts (Useful for a waterfall). I referenced hundreds of posts on buildings for my roofs. I learned that grass isn't always green, and a MILLION other things.

And I incorporated all of it.

And my first map still doesn't deserve to be on the same site as all the wonderful work you all have done.

So thank you all.

And a special thanks to Bogie (my competition!) who was extra helpful with advice (and inspiration! THAT is the style of map I could draw! <3 ) and even let me totally ruin one of his beautiful chests by turning it into a water feature. :D (I want to be like you when I grow up)

OKAY, so enough gushing.

I don't expect to win... SO many great entries. But I'm happy to have been a part of it, and I hope my next map will be even better (and I'll be off to map some goats in the meantime!)

I also learned that I should merge both more often, and not so much :P Shadows should be done closer to the end, because, let's face it, mine look like scattered puzzle pieces. I learned that colored maps need more color! But next time maybe I won't go so bright :P I learned that I should know what information I'm trying to show before making a map to show it!

And a bunch of other stuff. But you don't care.. you just want a map, right? ;)

So.. I'll go get it. Don't like... jump out of your seats or anything. :o

Jalyha
02-01-2014, 01:54 AM
-FINAL-

Jannah Manor exists in a world much like our own, and with a slightly more advanced level of technological advancement. The manor, and its' gardens, are a reminder of simpler(?!) times.

Tourists visit Jannah Manor, and tours of the gardens are given on Tuesdays. The rest of the time, you're on your own. A box for donations is affixed to the gateway arch, and with it, a "Please Take One" box with a beautifully (?!) illustrated pamphlet/map to help you catch the key points.

This is my humble rendition of what that map would look like:

(Thanks again for letting me steal your chest, Bogie. :) )

### Latest WIP ###

Bogie
02-01-2014, 02:19 AM
Nice work, it was fun to watch this progress.

And you can't "steal" something that is freely given.

Jalyha
02-01-2014, 10:14 AM
:P Thanks!!

Okay, kidnapped then ? :o

fabio p
02-03-2014, 06:55 AM
Wow Jalyha, your map has significantly improved!

Jalyha
02-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Thanks :) I just kept pecking away at it lol. I tend to start out pretty messy I suppose... laziness :P

Ridgewolf
02-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Photo manipulation or no, I am impressed.

Early on the blue masonry of the gardens was visually jarring, but has since been subdued by the many other colors of the image.

If I were to make one suggestion it would be to soften the texture beneath the cursive letters.

Thank you for pursuing this project. I appreciate the result.

Jalyha
02-04-2014, 11:12 AM

I just want to clarify though that there are very few phot-manipulations in here. I used Bogie's Sarcophagi, and one for the flower planters than line the pathways, but most of this stuff can be done with the basic patterns/textures and brushes in GIMP... and the things like the lake/flowers - that's all just layers of color. :)

I DID make extensive use of the "vine" brush, which is probably cheating a little :)

I'm really glad it gave that effect though, since I was trying hard to reflect that style ^.^

Jalyha
02-13-2014, 08:49 PM
Thanks for fixing the thread title!

I thought I would play with it a bit and try to get some variation in the height of the ground and I think I like this a little better. :)

Glad I had time for one more update! :)

### Latest WIP ###

Domino44
02-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Vey lovely! I like it a lot Jayha. :)

Jalyha
02-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Thanks! Now just wondering if I could sneak in one more :P

Bogie
02-14-2014, 10:34 PM
Great work. I cannot remember ever seeing a challenge entry with so many posts and so many views.

And I get to be post # 100 !!! ( what do I get for being the 100th customer? )

Jalyha
02-14-2014, 11:09 PM
Lol Here, Bogie:

Thanks for visiting! Check out our gift shop!