PDA

View Full Version : My first map

Malach
01-20-2014, 06:15 AM
Hi! I'm Malach, and I'm new around these parts.

As an introduction to my current (and first mapmaking) project, I've had this idea for a CRPG bouncing around my skull for the past couple of years. Don't want to go into too many details, however, but suffice to say, I hope I can complete it in the next couple of years.

As an aid to the story development, I decided this weekend to start working on a map of the region of the world where the events of the game take place. I don't have much detail on the map yet, just the basic coastal outline. I used a tip that I saw, where I found a coastline that I liked on Google Maps, and inverted in both horizontally and vertically

- Max -
01-20-2014, 06:54 AM
Welcome to the guild malach :) The tip you used is probably useful sometimes though here, the part of Greece and Turkey you used is still easily recognizable, even inverted.

Malach
01-20-2014, 07:00 AM
Thanks Max....I figured it would be, I do have plans of further modifying the coastline, maybe added in some additional islands and such, but I just wanted to get something started so I can put some other techniques into practice.

Llannagh
01-20-2014, 07:03 AM
Welcome to the guild, Malach!

As far as I agree that the Aegaen Sea and Turkey with Istanbul is an intruiging coastline, I would not advise to use it in a CRPG. It's too recognizable. My first thought when I looked at the map before I even read your post was "Hey, that looks like Greece and Turkey upside down!". Hit me on the head if I'm wrong, though. ;)

Again, I see the appeal to use this. But even if you just want practice, I'd still recommend drawing your own coastlines. If you've got a backstory for this that ties in the real geography, though, go ahead! That could get interesting.

If you'd draw your own coastline, you could also achieve a sharper (for lack of a better word) outline, since the small islands aall look like green dots. I guess that happened when you copied the original imag and rescaled it.

Sorry for being such a harsh critic, hope I didn't spoil it for you!

Malach
01-20-2014, 07:08 AM
Any criticism is accepted, Llannagh (nice Celtic name by the way)

I agree, this should be more for practice than anything else.....I'm using this as a tool to get back into creative mode, as 10 years in the US Army has pretty much killed off any creative flow that I've had. Now that I'm on my way out, I'm trying to get that creative ability kick-started.

Malach
01-20-2014, 07:13 AM
Made some modifications, swapped the land and ocean (kinda makes you feel like a god, doesn't it? >:) )

Twistomud
01-20-2014, 08:19 AM
Since I'm still new on the map-making scene, all I could say is its beautiful.
If they didn't say that it looks like Greece and Turkey I wouldn't have ever noticed (I didn't really focused too much on the Mediterranean whenever I look at a map, plus I didn't look at your map in inverted colors, so there's that xD)

Either way, I hope I'd get to see your self-made coastline in the near future.
And if you don't mind my asking, what program do you use?

Malach
01-20-2014, 08:43 AM
I'm using Photoshop CS5 x64.

Speaking of my own coastline...that's what I've been working on....trying to get all the little fiddly bits around the edges.

Twistomud
01-21-2014, 01:16 AM
This is just my personal taste, so in not any way is my advice going to be the same to others...probably.

Here goes:
Did you had in mind of making your coastline squarish?
Since it looks a bit unrealistic per se.
But the islands are awesome, though :)
I couldn't make islands like that for $100 xD

Why not add more details, like roads, rivers, mountains and the sort?
Makes the map more beautiful to look at.

Good job and keep up the good work.

Malach
01-22-2014, 08:20 AM
Because of some minor stupidity on my part, I didn't save the file I was working on, and then my computer automatically rebooted to install some updates.....:x

So, I've started over again, and this time, I'm really happy with what I've got so far. Lots of nice complexity on the coasts, lots of little islands, and I'm already starting to get some ideas on where to place my mountain ranges.

I do plan on developing the map further, but I only get an hour or two a day to work on it until the weekends.

foremost
01-22-2014, 09:17 AM
That's a very interesting new land-shape. Sometimes starting over is good,
as it can give you new ideas and you can redo things you didn't like, but I'm
sure you'll save your work from here on out :)

What do you plan on adding next?

eternalsage
01-22-2014, 03:31 PM
Made some modifications, swapped the land and ocean (kinda makes you feel like a god, doesn't it? >:) )

I think that this is a good starting spot for a test map. It looks really cool, and by switching the land and sea, I think it makes it unique enough to try out techniques on and so forth. Kick out the jams.

Because of some minor stupidity on my part, I didn't save the file I was working on, and then my computer automatically rebooted to install some updates.....:x

So, I've started over again, and this time, I'm really happy with what I've got so far. Lots of nice complexity on the coasts, lots of little islands, and I'm already starting to get some ideas on where to place my mountain ranges.

I do plan on developing the map further, but I only get an hour or two a day to work on it until the weekends.

I do, however, like this one more. The other may have been a little to square, but I think that this solved that easily. Its an interesting shape that looks "realistic" enough to have something cool come out of it. Good luck!

Jalyha
01-22-2014, 03:41 PM
I'm sorry you lost your files. I was enjoying watching your progress. :)

I agree, though, I like your new map better... just an instinctive feeling. And I'm glad you're getting comfortble with it!

Twistomud
01-23-2014, 03:57 AM
That new one looks sexy, Malach :)
I like how you placed your islands and the general feeling of ''realism" in it.

I hope to see more of your new and updated work :)

Llannagh
01-23-2014, 06:37 AM
I agree, too! This is a nice continental outline.

Now, creating a continent from scratch, THAT really makes you feel like a god, doesn't it? ;)

Malach
01-23-2014, 07:53 AM
Thanks for all the comments, people!

However, because I had to work late, and because I had paperwork to complete at home for tomorrow, I won't be able to work on this tonight. ::sad face::

Zach
01-23-2014, 08:25 AM
Interesting.. I'm wondering, how exactly did you make the coastline? It looks really nice. Hand drawn? Pieced together from bits of real coast? Computer-assisted randomness in any form?

Malach
01-25-2014, 03:29 AM
Interesting.. I'm wondering, how exactly did you make the coastline? It looks really nice. Hand drawn? Pieced together from bits of real coast? Computer-assisted randomness in any form?

I used a modification of Ascension's tutorial, mixed with the coastal tutorial from Old Guy Gaming

Malach
01-25-2014, 05:50 AM
I've spent all afternoon trying to get some decent looking mountains.....however, nothing I come up with..."feels" right to me...

if anyone has some pointers, please send them my way

Malach
01-25-2014, 10:15 AM
Okay got some mountains on that I actually like, but I still would like to get some feedback. Also started working on the rivers.

Also, I increased the resolution of the map....just to give myself a better sense of scale and more room to work with.

Malach
01-26-2014, 03:43 AM
Redid the mountains.....I like these better.

eternalsage
01-26-2014, 12:07 PM
I think the second mountains look better but they need some coloring or something. Right now they look snowy all the way up. They could also use some smoothing in places to give valleys and drainage basins.

Sent from my Samsung Centura using Tapatalk.