PDA

View Full Version : The Kingdoms of Kesh - Fantasy map

- Max -
01-21-2014, 08:57 AM
Hey all,

The Kingdoms of Kesh is a map I started a long ago (well, actually I just checked that I started a WIP of this map in May 2013) and I must admit that I've sometimes lost some motivation along the time with it but it had to be finished, I was frustrated of having it at an unfinished stage in my files. So, it was time :D
My goal for this map was to depict a fictional fantasy territory over three ages and show some political changes through the evolution of heraldry, borders and stuff over the years, related to some main historic events of the region. So I chose a triptych construction flanked by two main chronological cartouches, one for heraldry, the other for a timeline. The idea was to make a map which of course delivers classical information, but also tells a story that the reader can discover throughout its observation of the map. As always when you look at your old work, I think I would do some things in different way if I'd have to do it now but all in all, I'm pretty satisfied of how it turned out. Thanks to people who supported it in its early stages :)
The map is 40"x55" and was done in Photoshop. Unfortunately, I had to reduce both size and quality to fit the forum attachment criterias.

English isn't my primary language so I hope you'll forgive me for the various misspellings or grammar that I might have done on it.

Hope you'll like it,

As usual, feel free to rate, rep or run away :)

Jalyha
01-21-2014, 09:39 AM
I really wish you hadn't needed to reduce the size... I have bad eyes, and I'm trying to read the timeline :P

Still this is a great map, and a BRILLIANT concept.

I'm still looking over the map, but I had to stop to tell you it's absolutely stunning :)

Domino44
01-21-2014, 10:08 AM
This is awesome! I wish that I could read a book about this place or even a series of books! I love the timeline, your concept is (as Jalyha said) BRILLIANT. It's always a treat to see your maps, thanks for sharing them with us. :)

Eilathen
01-21-2014, 12:40 PM
The overall design is very pleasing. The concept of the whole thing is brilliant, as Jalyha said. I especially like the heraldry...very cool and atmospheric.
As to the maps themselves....i still think the forest representations are not that good (too sparse) and you have better looking mountains in other maps. It is still a very good looking map, don't get me wrong, but it could be even better, imo.

Have a "like" (can't rep. you as it seems).

Veldehar
01-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Absolutely love the concept,, I will keeping this notion in mind for future map projects with you, LOL. Some graphic improvements are possible, but in general, one of my favorites that you've done.

Could be a great way to do some time-lapse mapping for regions of the Sister Continents.

- Max -
01-21-2014, 06:17 PM
Thanks all you guys, glad you like it!

Absolutely love the concept,, I will keeping this notion in mind for future map projects with you, LOL. Some graphic improvements are possible, but in general, one of my favorites that you've done.
Could be a great way to do some time-lapse mapping for regions of the Sister Continents.
Hehe, could be ;)

The overall design is very pleasing. The concept of the whole thing is brilliant, as Jalyha said. I especially like the heraldry...very cool and atmospheric.
As to the maps themselves....i still think the forest representations are not that good (too sparse) and you have better looking mountains in other maps. It is still a very good looking map, don't get me wrong, but it could be even better, imo..
You're absoutely right, some stuff could be improved, it's already a kind of an old map for me, most stuff was done 8 months ago. This said, the geographical features weren't my main focus on this map :)

Jalyha
01-21-2014, 06:40 PM
I seriously want to use this map for my wallpaper. :L

Schwarzkreuz
01-21-2014, 07:07 PM
Nice to see the map wrapped up. And its another document of your progress in just a Simple Year.

KenG
01-21-2014, 07:34 PM
Amazing! I'd buy one.

arsheesh
01-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Stunning! This is one of my favorite of your pieces. Really well done. Sorry I can't rep you.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

rgcalsaverini
01-21-2014, 08:25 PM
This is amazing! Where did you got the history from? I lost track of time looking at this!

- Max -
01-22-2014, 05:05 AM
Thanks guys, comments appreciated :)

This is amazing! Where did you got the history from? I lost track of time looking at this!
The history was created from scratch for this map. At the start I just knew that I want to include some specific events in the timelines (political intriguees, wars, epidemic, magical/natural disaster, monsters attack...) to show how this kind of event could have impacted the lands depicted and so the map.

I seriously want to use this map for my wallpaper. :L
Hehe, since it's a pretty big one, it will probably be hanging on my wall soon ;)

Ilanthar
01-22-2014, 05:20 AM
Holy GM! Your map is thrilling the rpg fan/builder in me :) Gorgeous design, excellent map with a lot of informations and cool heraldry (btw, I am myopic, so I can quite easily read the little labels ;))
Wish I would be able (and brave enough) to do something like this for some of my games...

Can't rep you either, so just a like (you're already working too fast, so get finished your "not-so-old unfinished maps" is not play game!).

Johnny Ten
01-22-2014, 05:38 AM
This is just amazing. I am going to be spending far to much of my day at work today reading the timeline and studying the details..!

rwaluchow
01-22-2014, 09:56 AM
This is an amazing map. I love the timeline and the heraldry and the overall tone of the map. It's something I could just pore over for days, imagining these lands and its people.

Absolutely incredible work.

Azelor
01-22-2014, 11:41 AM
I can only rep you 1 of every 3 times I try. This is the one.

Nice job !

rgcalsaverini
01-22-2014, 12:29 PM
I'll definitively try and imitate you when I fell I have the basic skill to at least try =)

Diamond
01-22-2014, 12:42 PM
It's about time you finished this, Max! :D

I can only echo everyone else's sentiments - great, great work. The way you did the timeline, with the associated icons denoting the location of the event on the map, is a stroke of genius. (Like you need your ego stroked any further. :D )

callowCartographer
01-22-2014, 12:43 PM
Ugh everything in this map is so beautiful. The concept, the textures, the colors, the history. I LOVE the little escutcheons. Brilliant worldbuilding, brilliant map. o~o

Salama
01-23-2014, 04:46 AM
This is one beautiful map. It's so fun just to look at it and immerse yourself in the world. Great job.

Orkogo
01-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Awesome! What an ammount of work! It's so beautiful, nice to see!

- Max -
01-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Thanks very much all you guys!

Can't rep you either, so just a like (you're already working too fast, so get finished your "not-so-old unfinished maps" is not play game!).
Haha no worry I still have ones that are waiting in my to be done folder

This is just amazing. I am going to be spending far to much of my day at work today reading the timeline and studying the details..!

This is one beautiful map. It's so fun just to look at it and immerse yourself in the world. Great job.
Thinking about you guys staring at it is one of the greatest reward ;)

It's about time you finished this, Max! :D
Indeed :D Everytime I sat down in front of my computer and opened Kesh's file, I was just like "Aah no way, too muuuch work still to be done on this one, I'll do it later". Finally when I decided to give it a last shot, it roughly took me a bit more than one day to finish it :D

(Like you need your ego stroked any further. :D )
Hehe that can't harm, right? :D

Sharpes
01-23-2014, 07:29 PM
It looks really great Max. :) I particularly like the care and effort you put into the worldbuilding, the borders and the various regions! +rep!

Bogie
01-23-2014, 09:59 PM
Brilliant Work Max!

- Max -
01-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys!

It looks really great Max. :) I particularly like the care and effort you put into the worldbuilding!

Hehe, especially in english ;)

Galendae
01-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Tremendous Map! Good maps tell a story and you become immersed in it. You did that well here, Timeline and Heraldry. I will be stealing this idea;) I love the Timeline!

- Max -
01-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Thanks Galendae, glad to hear it's inspiring for you :)

Gallien
01-26-2014, 05:44 PM
I see the map is finished at last (after so much work), so congratulations! :)
The timeline and the heraldry makes this one really special. Great work!

- Max -
01-27-2014, 04:10 AM
Thanks Gallien! Yea I'm pretty satisfied to doesn't have it in my unfinished folder anymore :)

aquarits
01-27-2014, 12:13 PM
I was following the WIP before this map, where someone was Labeling in french and said that was going to do a simple map in english just to pratice some heraldry... and he got this
I will find it and Quote here lol

Great map, your shields are simple amazing!

- Max -
01-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Thank you :)

Slylok
02-02-2014, 02:42 PM
Just beautiful. I love everything about it especially the decorative borders and the color theme. Great layout.

- Max -
02-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Thank you Sylok!

The_Buce
02-12-2014, 02:31 PM
This map is inspirational!

- Max -
02-16-2014, 04:06 AM
Thanks the Buce, glad it is :)