PDA

View Full Version : The Continent of Valarina - First Map

ImperialLuresha
01-22-2014, 02:32 AM
Hi, I'm ImperialLuresha and I am newcomer to this site

This is the first map I have made using photoshop. Usually I make maps by hand just for leisure but I thought I would give it a try on the computer. I usually show the progression of the political situation of the map over several hundred years, and plan on doing it for this one. This map is based on one of the first maps I drew in high school. I am open to any advise and comments. Also, if anyone is interested in the lore I am more than happy to share it with you.

ImperialLuresha
01-22-2014, 06:02 AM
Here are some additional maps I made.

One of Valarina 120 Years in the future.

And a close up of the southeast shore.

Malach
01-22-2014, 07:26 AM
Beautiful maps :)

ImperialLuresha
01-22-2014, 07:33 AM
Thank you :)

Nathan
01-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Things sure have changed in 120 years when you compare the borders, what happened ? Wars ?

foremost
01-22-2014, 08:21 AM
Also, if anyone is interested in the lore I am more than happy to share it with you.]

How could I not be, with all those boundary changes? Something
interesting must have been going on :)

I like the static effect, it's not seen that often. In the future you
might consider making more dramatic mountains. Very nice
overall.

ImperialLuresha
01-22-2014, 09:24 AM
How could I not be, with all those boundary changes? Something
interesting must have been going on :)

I like the static effect, it's not seen that often. In the future you
might consider making more dramatic mountains. Very nice
overall.

Things sure have changed in 120 years when you compare the borders, what happened ? Wars ?

First of all thank you for your interest in my map and second of all let me explain some of the basic lore.

The first map of Valarina represents the continent in the year 133 D.K and the second map represents the map in 210 D.K. These years are considered some of Valatina's most tumultuous years.

The first major event takes place in 166 D.K, when the Cavaanian King pushes his cousins claim on the throne of Vaan, this is known as the Vaanish Sucession War or simply, the Lower War. Upon the declaration of war, Vaan who has marriage ties with both Varaan and Tiraan calls them into the war as its allies. Expecting this, Cavaan had made a secret alliance with Luresha, its old rival. Luresha then joins in the war with the promises of land and the establishment of a free trade zone that connected the Kingdoms of Cavaan and Luresha. After fighting for nearly five years the Lower War ends with the defeat of the Varaanese, Tiraanese, and Vaanish. This results in Cavaan annexing Vaan and Varaan as sub-kingdoms and Luresha gains half of Tiraan. However, the amount of land gained by Luresha and the failure to establish the free trade zone leaves Luresha embittered and leads to the destruction of the Luresho-Cavanian alliance. Since, the cultures of Luresha, Tiraan, Varaan, Cavaan and Vaan all originate from the Vaant culture, these changes in borders do not cause much unrest within the kingdoms.

Around 180 D.K Luresha declares war on the Kingdom of Deva, in order to strengthen its position as it feels that a war with Cavaan is inevitable. Luresha's war against Deva almost results in Luresha's defeat through attrition, however Deva surrenders just before. Due to its near loss at the hands of the Deva, Luresha is only able to annex half of the country, which is mostly covered in desert. This endeavor leaves Luresha more financially and militaristically crippled than before.

Seeing that the Lower states are growing in size and power and the fact that Cavaan now borders Tosandria, the king of Tosandria Oburon declares war on the mining nation of Nevandr in order to procure precious metals. This takes place in 198 D.K, and results in the swift defeat of Nevandr, the annexation of Nevandr by Tosandria and the enslavement of the Nevi people. Tosandria wary of rebellion relocates thousands of Nevi back into mainland Tosandria, namely the cities of Fizzo, Grivial and Reva to be used as slave laborers.

Finally the last event to take place within this time period is the dissolution of Dorralor. Dorralor is a federation of three different nations Kingdom of Dorralor, the Papacy of the Navarii and the nation of Devrani. The federation was created around the year 34 D.K in order to combat Devanese growth. Once united the nations proved to be a rival to Tosandria. Therefore, in the year 203 D.K, Tosandria embargoes the Federation of Dorralor leading to its bankruptcy, due to the fact that Deva refused to help and that trade through the Nezanin Wastes was basically impossible. During the economic turmoil, the federation disputes over what to do. The Papacy of the Navarii, opens its arms to Tosandria and allows it collect its natural resources in exchange for Tosandria subsidizing its economy. The Devrani nation renames itself the Devrani Free Lands and declares itself as a refuge for any person that has been afflicted by war or warmongering, becoming the first pacifist government of Valarina. The remainder of the land remains in the hands of the Kingdom of Dorralor who vows to take revenge on Tosandria and to reconquest the lands of the Navarii and Devrani, which it now views as rightful lands of the Kingdom of Dorralor.

This is just a rough oveview of the lore. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.

ImperialLuresha
01-22-2014, 11:51 AM
I made a couple more close ups. Here I have the Southwest and the Northwest.

eternalsage
01-22-2014, 01:35 PM
I agree with the sentiment that I would like to see a little more geography in these maps, but they are otherwise very nice. They have a nice old fashioned feel to them, which I think alot of the more fractally created maps lack. And I dig the static effect. It makes it feel like its drawn on parchment or leather or something without overdoing the effect. Very nice.

ImperialLuresha
01-22-2014, 01:43 PM
I agree with the sentiment that I would like to see a little more geography in these maps, but they are otherwise very nice. They have a nice old fashioned feel to them, which I think alot of the more fractally created maps lack. And I dig the static effect. It makes it feel like its drawn on parchment or leather or something without overdoing the effect. Very nice.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I am thinking of expanding the rivers and embellishing the mountains. However, I want to keep the map's simplicity due to the fact is that its purpose is mostly political. =)

eternalsage
01-22-2014, 02:00 PM
I agree with the philosophy, and many real world political maps do the same, but I like maps with lots of info. :D It would be kinda cool to the see geographical limitations that caused some of these situations, such as valleys that gave one army an advantage over the others and whatnot. Again, I kind of like a cluttered map though. :D

Definitely follow your muse above all else.

EDIT: Just noticed that your name is one of the later time frame countries. :D Nice.

ImperialLuresha
01-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Hahahah, yes my name might be implying some sort of nepotism toward a country :).

Also, about the geographic features, do you suggest I simply mark them with by writing for example "valley of laresh" or use icons, or both?

Jalyha
01-22-2014, 02:18 PM
So I've been trying to find a political map on google images, which had the geography showing, and.. I couldn't really.

I did find a couple of black and white fantasy maps there with features marked... but the political parts aren't very clear, or they look awful.

If you *must* add features, I'd simply add a label. However, *personally* I think you should keep your political map political, and if you want to mark the geography, make a physical map :P

Then again, that's just my personal opinion

eternalsage
01-22-2014, 02:22 PM
Hmmm. For simplicity, maybe some simple icons. My gut reaction is to then name these things, but again simplicity is not my strong suit, (one of my favorite maps of all time (http://blog.lefigaro.fr/hightech/middle-earth-map.jpg)) so maybe I'm a bad person to ask. :D Regardless, I think some indication via symbols of the major geographic locations would be nice. At the same time, this (http://www.physics.unlv.edu/~jeffery/astro/earth/map/world_political_2000.jpg) is a typical political map from the really real world and its just like yours (not as nicely rendered, but you know). :D

You are probably fine. Maybe make a second map (or a separate layer if using GIMP or Photoshop) for the other stuff. I wouldn't want you to ruin a really awesome map for information that is not pertinent. I just like knowing all that stuff :D

EDIT: I Agree with Jalyha. While I would do it, I think you are probably better off not doing it. :D

Jalyha
01-22-2014, 02:37 PM
I adore Middle Earth and it's maps. And the map you showed is lovely, and it names the regions, but it's not a political map. This map (https://edocs.uis.edu/hadleyiv/www/images/Middle_Earth_Iron_Crown.jpg) is also lovely... and also not a political map. :P

This (http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/archive/b/bd/20060302220736!Europe_middle_earth.JPG) is what happens when you try to put a political map and a physical map together. :P

Well not always, but yeah.

Political map (http://lindefirion.net/maps/PeoplesOfMiddleEarth.jpg)

That's *why* I wouldn't suggest it. But really it's up to the mapmaker :P

ImperialLuresha
01-22-2014, 02:58 PM
Continent of Valarina 366 D.K

Events leading to current political situation:

233 D.K Tosandrian Annexation of the Navarii Papacy

Tosandria, who already had military access and control of the natural resources of the Navarii Papacy, with the support of the current pope politically annexes the papacy. Like during the annexation of Nevandr in 198 D.K many of the Navarr people were transported back into mainland Tosandria to be used for cheap labor. This act causes great alarm in the neighboring Kingdom of Dorralor, Nation of the Devrani Free Peoples, and the Kingdom of Deva.

236 D.K The Creation of the United Front

The lesser nations of Deva, Devrani and Dorralor under the leadership of Dorralor create the United Front. This Union was made with the purpose of deterring further expansion from Tosandria and Imperial Luresha.

287 D.K The Second Lower War

The Second L.W started when Luresha used its troops to occupy the rest of the Kingdom of Tiraan. Fearing that the scales would tip towards Lureshan supremacy, Cavaan declares war on Luresha. After having some initial difficulties Cavaan promises Tiraan independence and the third of the Southern Islands in order to secure an alliance. A year into the war the nation of Vaan declares itself independent. Unable to fight a war on both fronts, Cavaan accepts Vaan's independence and goes as far as to guarantee it. After, several years of almost equal war, the Duke of Alsorra, who was a distant relative of the Cavaanese Royal family rebels against Imperial Luresha, tipping the tides of war and resulting in Cavaanese victory. As a result, Cavaan annexes lower Luresha and grants Tiraan independence and the Island of Iné.

333 D.K Cavaanese Reformation

After years of unrest in an attempt to quell the masses and the disillusioned nobility, Cavaan grants semi-autonomy to the Grand Duchy of Luresha and the Grand Duchy of Varaan. This greatly increases public opinion in Cavaan and appeases the nobility.

eternalsage
01-22-2014, 09:34 PM
I adore Middle Earth and it's maps. And the map you showed is lovely, and it names the regions, but it's not a political map. This map (https://edocs.uis.edu/hadleyiv/www/images/Middle_Earth_Iron_Crown.jpg) is also lovely... and also not a political map. :P

I know that's not a political map silly :D I was trying to demonstrate the way I tend to make maps (not that its the right way) in which I dump as much info on them as possible. As such, my recommendations are not the best. (BTW... I am not taking credit for that middle earth map, it was just laying about in my bookmarks so I tossed it out). Besides, I already agreed with you :D

EDIT: Also, I like the new map as well. I feel that this consolidation of territory is likely to lead to a huge war, the likes of which this land has never seen.... Either that or a stable happy long lived peace that ushers in a new golden age for all... :D Either way.

ImperialLuresha
01-23-2014, 03:07 AM
Close Up of Northeast Valarina

ImperialLuresha
01-25-2014, 04:47 AM
This is Valarina at 408 DK