PDA

View Full Version : The island Antillia

Lingon
01-23-2014, 11:05 AM
It's been some time since I made a map for myself now… After the globe, I made a small test piece for a bigger map, but I feel that I need to flesh out that world more before I make the map, so I've began a smaller project that doesn't need much flesh at all ;)

I recently read an interesting article about phantom islands; islands that where believed to exist and where shown on maps for a long period, but actually wasn't anything else than optical illusions or just lies or jokes. One of the bigger was called Antillia and was included on most maps from the 15th to the 17th century, and was located roughly in the middle of the Atlantic, directly west of the Iberian peninsula and similar in size and shape to Portugal. And because I love mysterious, disappearing islands (who doesn't?) and alternative history, I got an urge to map it.

I'll aim for something more modern and realistic than my usual style this time, I think. A pre-digital 20th century atlas look, hopefully. I've had this 1940's Japanese map (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/1942_Japanese_World_War_II_Map_of_the_Malay_Penins ula_and_Singapore_-_Geographicus_-_Kamatchka-japanese-1940.jpg) saved for inspiration for a while, and I think I'll use that style as a starting point.

For some unnecessary but fun plausibility, I started with a height map of the ocean floor from Natural Earth and found a good spot in the mid-Atlantic ridge, resembling the descriptions of Antillia, that in this alternative setting was above the surface. I drew coastlines around the tallest parts of the ridge, and put a grid over that to transfer it to paper, then I detailed the coasts and drew rivers and some lines that will become mountains. Also tested a mountain style in the center of the island. My scanner really can't scan a pencil drawing, it turns out weird-looking every time, but… this is where I am now:

Llannagh
01-23-2014, 01:26 PM
That looks pretty cool! And neat idea. Looking forward to the outcome!

Jalyha
01-23-2014, 01:27 PM
So creative!!

And it's looking good, too :D

foremost
01-23-2014, 01:56 PM
For some unnecessary
but fun plausibility, I started with a height map
of the ocean floor from Natural Earth and found
a good spot in the mid-Atlantic ridge

What a wonderfully creative idea :)
Taking real-world locations and transforming
them into fantasy maps has alway been
something I've wanted to do. I'm sure your
style will look great with this project.

Ilanthar
01-24-2014, 05:00 AM
Good idea and already a nice start!

Lingon
01-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Thanks guys!
Today I finished the mountains. Also made some small parts of the coast less jagged, to give it some difference between cliffs and beaches, and changed a couple of rivers. The scan turned out a little better this time too :)

Lingon
01-25-2014, 09:18 AM
A little bit of progress; painted the coasts and rivers blue, and erased the sketch and help lines.

Now I have an internal conflict… Administrative areas in different colors, like a normal political map, or everything in natural colors? The first would make it more authentic and period-apropriate, the second would be more… well, more me, but it might look too uniform considering there are no deserts or arctic areas to break up all the green. On the other hand, I plan to add cities and roads in muted red, which would give it some attention-focusing points. As I'm typing this I'm leaning more and more towards natural colors, actually…

Jalyha
01-25-2014, 09:26 AM
what if...

Could you do it in natural colors, and then put a political map over top of it as like, an overlay? Kind of like, just enough that you can see the regions clearly, but the naturaal color shows through?

Ilanthar
01-25-2014, 01:08 PM
I kinda agree with Jalyha. Or maybe testing the different solutions on a little portion (if that's possible)?

I like what you already have anyway!

Diamond
01-26-2014, 02:25 PM
I like Jalyha's suggestion; that's a good idea.

Lingon
01-26-2014, 05:00 PM
Thanks! Yeah, that's a good Idea Jalyha. That way I can use a plain nature coloration even if I mess up the political map, which has happened before :P

Here's something a little more fun to look at. Maybe I'll darken everything slightly, it turned out very pale…

Jalyha
01-26-2014, 05:59 PM
me r smartie :D

and yes, that is prettier, and yes, I'd say darken it :P

Lingon
01-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Darkened it :) Also made the ocean more smooth, and added the beginning of a frame…

Jalyha
01-27-2014, 11:44 AM
Looking good so far. :)

What are you drawing on? (Canvas, I mean)...I'm sure it won't matter when the map is more finished, but for the moment it's throwing off my sense of the land height.. idk why :P (Also, probably just me, cause I see things funny!)

Also... and I *despise* generalizing, but...

Everywhere I've ever seen a river meet the ocean, it's been in a relatively calm area.. cause... welll... river water can't flow forward, if stronger waves are pushing back..

Now... continents basic *shapes* and island formation... that's all tectonics and I don't really get that... but I do get waves, and erosion, which gives the *detail* to those lands. And ocean waves tend to hit the land in certain ways.

So .. based on that (Unless there's some tectonic-y reason why) There's a couple areas in your map that look like they are plagued with LOTS of strong waves (based on the land shape) but that's where the river is coming out of the land too... I don't know how to explain it :? 's probably not a big deal, and I'm no expert, so I'm sure I'm missing a simple explanation for it (cliffs with a fall, or something) but I thought I'd mention it in case there wasn't? :P (I get way too hung up on pointless little details :o )

Ilanthar
01-28-2014, 04:42 AM
Yep, that's definitely better now! I like the colours you got with this darkening.

Now, my two minutes of geology (may be partly wrong, it's been a long time...) :)

By Jalyha
Everywhere I've ever seen a river meet the ocean, it's been in a relatively calm area.. cause... welll... river water can't flow forward, if stronger waves are pushing back..

Hum, that depends in fact. It's generally calm on the surface, but it's not necessary a truth under the surface. It's difficult to get a good idea of the current force because of the width of the river at this point and never forget that salt water is heavier, so the river tend to flow over the sea when it encountered it.

By Jalyha
Now... continents basic *shapes* and island formation... that's all tectonics and I don't really get that... but I do get waves, and erosion, which gives the *detail* to those lands. And ocean waves tend to hit the land in certain ways.

So .. based on that (Unless there's some tectonic-y reason why) There's a couple areas in your map that look like they are plagued with LOTS of strong waves (based on the land shape) but that's where the river is coming out of the land too... I don't know how to explain it 's probably not a big deal, and I'm no expert, so I'm sure I'm missing a simple explanation for it (cliffs with a fall, or something) but I thought I'd mention it in case there wasn't? (I get way too hung up on pointless little details )

In fact, all of that relies mainly of the type of rocks and currents you get. In some cases, the coast is expanding, and the river is "expanding the land" against the sea by bringing sediments. In the other case, the sea is kinda "devouring" the land and make the estuary more en more large (and the sea is more entering in the river than the other way).
Either way, I think that the currents and the chemistry (pH of water, temperature, rock composure) are the most important.

Jalyha
01-28-2014, 04:55 AM
Okay, that makes sense. :) Thanks for explaining that, it was gonna drive me nuts! :D

Lingon
01-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Yeah, erosion is something I still have to learn about! Thanks for your input, it's too late to change the rivers and coasts now but I'll read up on the subject and think more about it next time!

About the drawing surface, I'm using A3 watercolor paper with a quite fine texture :)

Here's a little more progress. I've desaturated the ocean to make the island stand out more, and added a graticule and finished the idea I had for the frame.

- Max -
01-28-2014, 09:39 AM
No way, the graticules coordinates numbers and way you did them don't fit the style you're looking imho (too digital, too modern font look).

Lingon
01-28-2014, 09:53 AM
No way? Way! It's a typewriter font! Lol, ok, I guess it comes across as too digital. I'll try it with an older looking typewriter.

Jalyha
01-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Oh gosh, I'm with - Max- . And typewriters look more digital than a lot of digital fonts! :o

I don't mean digital, though... what do I mean?

I tend to think of "disappearing island" and "pirates" or "ancient civilizations". I expect something pirate-y (hastily scribbled instructions on a carefully obscure map, maybe on crumbling, water-stained parchment) OR something Ancient civilization-y (lovingly, painstakingly painted by hand, with straight-lined letters/pictograms depicted (also by hand) so very very carefully!)

I don't know how to explain that.

And your map *so far* and with those colors, tends to fit my assumption. The lines are too.... machine-y. :P (They look like they came off an old (but not as old as the map) printing press) and the map *doesn't* look machine-y...

(How can I be so bad at explaining things? :( )

Anyway, that's my 2 cents... though they're probably worth more like a half cent :P

- Max -
01-28-2014, 12:04 PM
Pirate-y? Anvient civilization-y? Jalyha, Lingon said he wanted to go with some pre-digital 20th century atlas style ;) This said, another font would suit it bettet.

Jalyha
01-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Pirate-y? Anvient civilization-y? Jalyha, Lingon said he wanted to go with some pre-digital 20th century atlas style ;) This said, another font would suit it bettet.

Ohhhh you're right he did...

I never did pay proper attention in school either :(

Okay, then, forget everything I said, cause apparently I'm blind :D

Lingon
01-29-2014, 03:26 AM
I'm indeed aiming for that atlas look, like the example I linked to in the first post, but I still value Jalyha's comment – if it comes across as piratey or ancient, I apparently failed completely at reproducing that style. I know it's a pretty major diversion to not use political colors (which I still might apply, not sure yet), but I thought it would come across through other elements. I don't want to copy a historical map exactly, I want it to be my own take on it, but if anyone has ideas to make it remind a little more about the period I'm taking inspiration from (first half of the 20th century), I'd appreciate it :)

- Max -
01-29-2014, 03:34 AM
Imho, political borders (even if you don't go stricly with the same ones as in the example linked), ways of transportations, maybe designing some "pre-modern" symbols and the way you're going to label it would probably be the things that visually give the visual touch you're looking for.

Jalyha
01-29-2014, 11:06 AM
Well... it doesn't really come across as pirate-y/ancient civilization-y... it *feels* like it could fit, and I got to that point in my mind by thinking about a disappearing island, and, well...

I go... like... 99% on gut instinct when I talk :P sorry.

I guess what I meant is that the *lines* for the mountains/rivers/coast look hand drawn. (carefully, hand drawn) and the (navigation) lines look done by a machine of some sort.

I'm REALLY bad at explaining...

It looked like someone drew a map, and *much* later, someone printed the lines on. The *painting* feels like it could fit both.

But again, that's all just from my gut, and I don't know much about maps, and I didn't look at the style you were going for before opening my big fat mouth... :P Maybe that is how those atlas were made?

I think I'll just go sit quietly in a corner somewhere and think about why I should think before I talk :P

*naughty Jalyha*

:(

Lingon
01-29-2014, 03:13 PM
You're not bad at explaining at all, I understand what you mean :) I haven't actually done any research about this, but from looking at various maps from the period, I'm pretty sure they were made in the way you describe – hand painted terrain, printed graticule and labels. So that's what I'm trying to make it look like :)

New update, I've added cities and roads, some labels, and a little bit of color tweaking. The city names are from a historical source, the seven cities that were believed to be on Antillia, and "Costa Prata" is my own name of some sort of administrative region (no borders yet), and means "Silver coast" in Portuguese. Some tales about Antillia describes beaches full of silver, so I thought I'd bring that in, and it's in Portuguese because I decided the island was colonized and kept the language after becoming independent.

- Max -
01-29-2014, 04:25 PM
Looks good! I would try some subtle aging effect on the labels though.

arsheesh
01-29-2014, 05:33 PM
Looking very nice so far Lingon!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Lingon
01-30-2014, 12:46 PM
Thanks, Max and Arsheesh! And thanks for the suggestions in your second last post, Max, forgot to say that :oops: Those things are pretty much what I was thinking of adding, except for the symbols, hadn't thought of that :)

I've changed the font to a more damaged one, added some more labels, a possible title, and that big ugly blob is a placeholder for a city map I'm considering placing there. I thought it would balance the composition by filling up some of that empty ocean, but I'm not sure it works… If I use it, I'll draw it in a more subtle way than the island itself, just a street grid I think, so it wouldn't be so overpowering at least.

Jalyha
01-30-2014, 12:56 PM
OH *now* I see it! :D

I feel silly :P

That looks great. I'd like to see the city! :D

Ilanthar
01-30-2014, 01:11 PM
Nice, the font is really appropriate now! It recalls me of good old maps of the begining of the 20th century - but without the "crowded with labels" aspect and a good artistic touch.

- Max -
01-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Better font indeed, though I'm not convinced by the seas labels...looks a bit too much. I'm not like Ilanthar about labels, I would like to see more of them on this map to crowd it more :D Also I'm not sure about the city placeholder. I wouldbn't bother that much about the empty space, it's not automatically a bad thing, and you could throw there some useless informations about the map itself (print date, creator, print manufacturay, you know that kind of stuff) that could gives more feel to the map.

Lingon
01-31-2014, 04:46 PM
Thanks! I can like both ends of the label spectrum, an extremely crowded map really has a charm, but I think this one will stay rather low on labels. Mostly because it's hard to think of names that make historical sense and are grammatically correct in a language I don't speak :D I have added a few more though, all the cities I've marked and the districts. Also shrunk the sea labels, that might make them less too much. And tried replacing the blob with a blurb… Looks better I think. I'll do a little more before updating again though :)

Jalyha
01-31-2014, 04:57 PM
Thanks! I can like both ends of the label spectrum, an extremely crowded map really has a charm, but I think this one will stay rather low on labels. Mostly because it's hard to think of names that make historical sense and are grammatically correct in a language I don't speak :D

You could always learn/invent the language O:-)

lostatsea
01-31-2014, 08:48 PM
Nice old and updated feel to it . Like something from a 30's 40's National Geographic magazine.

Scoopz
01-31-2014, 11:28 PM
I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say awesome job, such an amazing progression from start to end in my opinion.

Ilanthar
02-01-2014, 08:27 AM
By - Max -
Better font indeed, though I'm not convinced by the seas labels...looks a bit too much. I'm not like Ilanthar about labels, I would like to see more of them on this map to crowd it more

He, that wasn't a critic! I was just comparing Antillia with maps of 20's - 50's in my possession :)

Lingon
02-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Many thanks! Yes, learning Portuguese for one map, why not? :D

Update! Unsure about the airports, maybe three would be too many considering the period… I figured, as Antillia is in the middle of the Atlantic, a lot of flights would stop there on the way to America/Europe. Maybe I should remove the one on the southeastern island though.

Jalyha
02-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Many thanks! Yes, learning Portuguese for one map, why not? :D

See, you say it as a joke, but when I say it, I'm serious :P

Why not? :D

I don't think there would have been as many transatlantic flights during that period... and many of them might see it as an unnecessary deviation from course... but there would be many that did stop there. I think you should look at some modern areas with high flight-traffic, and how many airports they had for a certain size of area - now and then :P

I didn't look at the map, though, and think "Gosh, there sure are a lot of airports... :o " So I think it's probably not a huge thing? I dunno...

Azelor
02-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

That's not Portuguese and I always though it was a weird text. Just hope your only using it as a place holder.

Nice map by the way !

Jalyha
02-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Looks latin? O.o ish?

Azelor
02-01-2014, 02:18 PM
It is latin indeed

Jalyha
02-01-2014, 02:35 PM
k... weren't lots of maps written in latin (no matter the language of origin) since latin kind of spawned a lot of other languages? or something? D: Idk

Azelor
02-01-2014, 03:06 PM
Yes but you should translate the text to see what it mean, that was my point.

It's noting that of a problem for Lingon since I suppose it's only temporary.

Jalyha
02-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Ooooo a mystery. I shall get to work! :P

Lingon
02-01-2014, 03:29 PM
Lorem Ipsum is a classic placeholder text, I'm just using it to check how a block of text will impact the composition. I'll write that bit in english. Sorry Jalyha, I'm not so ambitious I'm willing to learn a new language just for this :P I will do some research about transatlantic flight in the 40's though :)

Jalyha
02-01-2014, 03:38 PM
OH I see. :)

*not bright* :D

Now I want to learn portuguese. Too bad I have the attention span of a 3 year old... :o

- Max -
02-01-2014, 03:51 PM
The map looks way better now than with the city map inset project :)

He, that wasn't a critic! I was just comparing Antillia with maps of 20's - 50's in my possession :)

Hehe I know, no problem with that :)

Ilanthar
02-02-2014, 08:23 AM
Lingon, your map is getting better and better ! I'm curious to see what you put in the place of the quite "sadomasochistic" latin text (if I translate it correctly) :)

Lingon
02-02-2014, 03:52 PM
@Jalyha: Haha, I've noticed that about attention span, if you don't mind me saying :P But hey, go for it!
@Max: Thanks, I like the text better to!
@Ilanthar: Thank you! Yes, it is really quite morbid if I remember right… I haven't tried translating it, but I've read something about that. Pretty funny actually, how such a text has become so widespread…

So, according to Wikipedia the Allmighty, there were about 90 commercial flights across the North Atlantic per week in 1947. Most of them landed on the Azores, which is exactly in the location of my Antillia, or Ireland, I guess for fueling. So, for ease of calculation, say 20 flights per week took the entire distance in one go, leaving on average 10 planes per day on the Antillian airports. Even with 40's tech, that should be easily manageable for a single airport. But… maybe the traffic would have been a little higher with more available stops along the way, so… I think I'll keep two :) I've also replaced the morbid latin with some pseudo-fake history.

Falconius
02-02-2014, 04:37 PM
This looks really legit. Enough so that I went searching for it online... :o

Llannagh
02-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Wow man, I have been following this for a while now and it turned out REALLY well! I think when it's finished (proof read text ;)) and finalized, this could fool a lot of people! It really has the flavor of the 40's.
I wouldn't really know what to improve.

I am also amzed by the fact that you do this by hand.

Jalyha
02-02-2014, 05:47 PM
@Jalyha: Haha, I've noticed that about attention span, if you don't mind me saying :P But hey, go for it!

HEY! What are you trying to s... ooooo look a butterfly!!! *scampers off*

But yeah :P

RE: The text: Simple and informative. I like it. But... what does "restostored" mean? O:-)

RE: The airports: My mom (not my real mom, but my MOM) used to say to me, she'd say "Jalyha," (actually she'd use my real name but whatever) Anyway, she'd say "stop bothering so much over history. People can only handle so many facts about their real history. If we remembered half of what we'd done, accurately, we'd all go insane."

Of course, she was madder than a march hare, so...

What was my point? OH YEAH, okay so MOST of what we know about history is only partially true/accurate (if at all, lol) so ... uh.. forgot where I was going with this.

Anyway, if you add that to the whole "Fantasy, not real life" thing, you can take an awful lot of liberties.

2 airports is perfectly plausible - especially since you explained it, lol - I only meant that historical figures/data makes a good jumping-off place. :)

I'm glad if it helped you decide !! :D

(PS - I'm starting to be REALLY glad I didn't translate the latin. o.O )

Ilanthar
02-03-2014, 03:52 AM
Hey, I like the story and the Visigothic idea!

Pixie
02-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Being portuguese, I love the whole thing. Great idea. I really love it, and I do like the map.

But, being portuguese, I'm going to nitpick on the details ;)...
Novo Lisbon could be spelled "Nova Lisboa" or "Nova Lisbuna" (portuguese place names have feminine and masculine forms, cities are "women")
"Sem Título" stands for "untitled"... is it supposed to be like that?
"Brazil" comes from "fiery" as in "fiery wood", which is a type of red wood found only in Brazil. I can't see why a populated region found and settled way before that would get that name.
"Santo Brendan" would look better as "Santo Brandao", as Brandao or Brando are the portuguese forms for the name.

There's a few other naming glitches I could point out, if you are interested, or I could just shut up and appreciate... something I'm good at as well if need be. ;)

Lingon
02-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it a lot!
@Falconius: Found anything? :P
@Llannagh: Thanks, I'll proofread the text yes, I wrote that pretty quickly, hehe… And you know, for me, it's amazing how everyone else is doing such awesome maps digitally. Graticules and labels and other machine-looking stuff is all I can do with PS, and I'm not even very good at it. I've painted by hand my whole life, so that comes much more naturally to me :)
@Jalyha: Haha, amusing as your posts always are, I'm not sure I understood what you where talking about there :P Except that the airport number has your approval :D
@Ilanthar: Thanks! The Visigothic background is based on the real legend. Those seven bishops and the names of the seven biggest cities are from a 15th century source (via Wikipedia, again).
@Pixie: YES! Thank you so much! I was secretly hoping someone Portuguese would find this and point out my errors :D Please, if you have the time, tell me everything :) Sem Título was on purpose (missed the apostrophe though), a lame joke I guess… Maybe I should remove it? Vera Brazil is a reference to another phantom island called Brasil, and Santo Brendan is from another called Saint Brendan's Island. Do you think I should change it to Brandao? Might make it too hard to see the reference? I'll fix Nova Lisboa though. Thank you!

Jalyha
02-03-2014, 05:28 PM
That was the gist of it, anyway :P

I guess it just means... Everything we know about history is cobbled together from what other PEOPLE chose to write down. And people are people. Some of them lie, or smudge the truth for their own purposes.

As far as *records* ... well, if I'm stealing grain from the lord of the manor, I might mess with a few numbers to hide it. Or not record, as whoever-keeps-track-at-old-airports, the 20 times my buddy flew his small plane through without a permit, or.. y'know, whatever.

What my nutso auntie meant was about wars, or how the conquered were treated by the conquerors - USUALLY the victorious got to write down the history - and it almost always favored themselves :) So we get 30 accounts of "good king Redwash" and 1 badly faded, torn, dirtied copy of a letter outlining how horrible the man was.. what can we believe?

No single person ever tells the whole story - and the people who do the research and summarize everything, well, they weren't there, so they can't know for sure. So the BEST way to know what happened (and what's possible) is to look at all of the original sources, and come to reasonable conclusions.. or at least to check multiple sources.

Even then you can never be precisely sure. :P

But anywaay, all that meant was that, you don't have to interpret everything as being *exactly* the way it's been written, and especially not with fantasy stuff :P

Bogie
02-03-2014, 05:45 PM
Very nice map, Well done!

Lingon
02-04-2014, 07:35 AM
Ah, ok Jalyha! I'm making up most of the history here really, just trying to tie it in with the legend and some factual events, but overall I'm more interested in plausibility than accuracy. I guess that means we are of the same opinion :)

Thanks Bogie!

Here's an update of the text. Didn't change anything major, just rephrased some stuff mostly, and some tweaks of detail here and there :)
"Antillia was first settled in the eighth century, by Visigoths escaping the Muslim conquest of Hispania. According to legend, the emigrants where led by seven bishops who upon landing founded a city each – most historians believe this to be a romanticized version of truth, but the sites of the seven largest cities of Antillia have been inhabited since around this time, and the seven bishops are among our national saints.

There was little contact with the rest of Europe for a long time after the first settling. Antillia had everything it needed, and conducted so little trade that the island was almost forgotten in the mainland – and the other way around. It was ruled as a Visigothic Christian kingdom until 1429, when it was rediscovered by the rising Portuguese Empire.

The technological advances made by the Europeans took Visigothic Antillia by surprise, and for four centuries the island was governed over by Portugal. The main economic purpose of the colony was to produce wheat and silver, but it also simplified Portuguese travel to the Americas starting a few decades later.

Many rebellions took place during the colonial era, but none where successful until 1821. The Portuguese state was weakened by the Napoleonic War, and the final uprise couldn’t be stopped. Antillia became an independent state again. The local dialect of Portuguese remains the official language, and the districts and many city names are still the same as during the colonial era. The seven largest cities where returned to their old names though – the names that maybe or maybe not where given by the seven sainted Visigothic bishops."

aquarits
02-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Pixie said everything about the names, as brazilian i guess all names in portuguese will be cool.

For the history, you have some powerfull legends: Atlantis

Lingon
02-04-2014, 01:02 PM
There are some theories that the word Antillia is derived from Atlantis… But honestly, I won't bring Atlantis into this map. I just think Atlantis has been done enough, you know? There's no need for my version too. Antillia was completely new for me when I read about it, and that's why I wanted to paint it :)

Lingon
02-05-2014, 04:39 AM
Maybe… done :)

Ilanthar
02-05-2014, 05:14 AM
I believed it came from "ante ilha" or something close, meaning "the island (located) forward". Anyhow, it's a legend with many faces typical of a period (the begining of the transoceanic explorations), where people expected to find islands already inhabited with descendants of old times.
There's a same similarity with the exploration of Americas : the Eldorado, Quivira, etc. and the founding of a lost but incredibly rich city.

Sharpes
02-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Looking great Lingon! :D The colouring at the start didn't appeal to me at first (so used to seeing digital maps I guess) but it's come out really well.

Lingon
02-06-2014, 02:56 AM
Ilanthar: Yup, I think Ante Ilha seems like the most probable theory too.
Sharpes: Thank you!

So, yeah, I'm calling this one finished now. Thanks for the feedback and support, everyone!

Robin Ryuu
02-07-2014, 02:02 PM
In your brief history of Antillia (paragraph four, line three) you have "where" instead of "were".