PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Rockport

pasis
01-25-2014, 01:06 PM
It has been a long since I have done any mapping and it is time to refresh the skills. I'm feeling a bit rusty and struggling with both palette and saturation, but we'll see if pieces start to go together.

The plan is to make this a small area map with some mining habitation. The area is dried out and you can still see the numerous riverbeds from the time when there were a lot more rains. Comments and critique is welcome as always.

Veldehar
01-25-2014, 01:16 PM
Krikee, that's pretty sweet. All I can see is keep it going, love to see the finished work here.

Ilanthar
01-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Wow! That's a very impressive start!

Diamond
01-26-2014, 03:23 PM
Good to see you back here, pasis! Like what I see so far.

pasis
01-30-2014, 10:31 AM
Slowly progressing in creation of the small city and the maining facilities.

arsheesh
01-30-2014, 03:16 PM
I'm with Diamond, nice to see you back. This is looking great so far. I really like how you've done the roads. Looking forward to watching this develop.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
01-30-2014, 04:11 PM
Oh wow, that is great work. It has a real Mediterranean feel to it. Gives me the feeling that just off-screen are a bunch of roads and goat-trails leading down to a beach.

lostatsea
01-30-2014, 05:26 PM
I agree with all the others "great to have you back" Love your work. Can't say you need to brush up too much; This looks Great !

Jalyha
01-30-2014, 05:33 PM
I'm just stunned. o.o;

Bogie
01-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Fantastic work, the buildings almost look real!

Ilanthar
01-31-2014, 06:12 AM
Everything is very well done, and as Bogie said, we almost have the impression to fly over the land :) The only thing that disturbs me a little are the cobbled streets. It looks different and a bit too bright imho.

Caenwyr
01-31-2014, 07:16 AM
Everything is very well done, and as Bogie said, we almost have the impression to fly over the land :) The only thing that disturbs me a little are the cobbled streets. It looks different and a bit too bright imho.
I was gonna say the exact same thing. That and the fact that the eastern point of your town seems a bit odd: there doesn't seem to be anything of particular interest in that region, and it's a weak point in your town's defense.

And another thing: considering the scale of this map, wouldn't it be better to move this thread to the Town/City Mapping Forum?

Apart from that, my sincerest compliments on this magnificent map, mate. You almost make it look like an airborne image!

pasis
01-31-2014, 09:32 AM
Thank you for all the comments.

My original plan was to have the city in much smaller scale and the main point was to be the region itself. But plans changed....
I toned down / darkened the cobbled streets and changed the eastern point of the town. They look better now. Added also few mining buildings, more roads, trees and some ground forms (rocks etc).

Next some labeling and I'm finished I think.

Ilanthar
01-31-2014, 12:29 PM
That just excellent now :)

Jalyha
01-31-2014, 02:04 PM
WAIT what's that up behind the big house on the cliff.

Dying from curiousity >.<

Falconius
02-01-2014, 03:33 PM
They look like trees to me...

Jalyha
02-01-2014, 03:58 PM
I don't know... there's a faint little path, behind the big house.. and in the center at the end of the little path is a smaller structure... maybe it is trees or a rock or something... I can't see it well, cause my screen is tiny :( I thought its a hidden building or temple or something... :P