PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf-Hold

Steel General
07-27-2008, 05:06 PM
OK, since I can't work on my Elven city @ home, I decided to try something different. This is the start of an Iron (Hill) DwarfHold.

It is supposed to be on 3 different layers, each further beneath the ground.

There are a few buildings added to the top-most level, and the 'giant' anvil on the lowest level is a shrine/temple to the God of Craftsmanship.

As always C&C is wlecomed.

***EDIT - See later post for new image***

Ascension
07-27-2008, 07:17 PM
The texturing looks superb but there appear to be some funky green clouds around the edge of the hole, is that where the trees will be?

Steel General
07-27-2008, 07:36 PM
It must be something with the texture I used, I may have to try a different one.

mathuwm
07-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Dwarf hold did someone say dwarf hold?

Someone else making a dwarf hold

I cant wait

Steel General
07-29-2008, 08:36 PM
OK, finally had time to do a little bit more work on this.

1. Added 2 gate houses on the top level (one with catapults)
2. Added a few more 'residences' (generic buildings)
3. Added a "Titan" an giant statue (that may or may not animate in the hold's defense)
4. Added a bridge from the 2nd to 3rd level
5. Added a temple to Zur (God of Mountains, Gems, etc.)
6. Re-oriented the image

NeonKnight
07-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanx for rotating it to the side. Now my perverted eyes do not see it for the thing I was seeing ;)

Ascension
07-29-2008, 09:55 PM
I like the way you did that golem/statue, pretty sneaky and well done.

RobA
07-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Thanx for rotating it to the side. Now my perverted eyes do not see it for the thing I was seeing ;)

Thank goodness! I thought it was just me, and I was just too polite to comment ;)

-Rob A>

waldronate
07-30-2008, 01:20 AM
No, it seems to be a pretty common reaction with the middle-aged folk. Ravell's pen avatar is probably just me, though. Bad vision tends to blur the fine detail a wee bit.

NeonKnight
07-30-2008, 01:26 AM
No, it seems to be a pretty common reaction with the middle-aged folk. Ravell's pen avatar is probably just me, though. Bad vision tends to blur the fine detail a wee bit.

Teeheee, you said WEE :P

P.S. Is it me, or are us middle aged guys worse than school boys ;)

Steel General
07-30-2008, 07:39 AM
I know exactly what you guys were polite enough not to point out (and thank you), exactly why I re-oriented it. Beleive me, it was purely unintentional.

@Ascension - Thanks I think it worked out pretty well myself. Just need to be careful not to overdue the pattern overlay or it loses all the definition and you can tell what it is anymore :)

Redrobes
07-30-2008, 08:16 AM
I know exactly what you guys were polite enough not to point out...I made an icon a lot like this as a crevasse for my box set app and when I first shown a map with it on it took the bunch around here about 1 nanosecond to draw breath and say "Whats that big **** thing in the middle...". Neanderthals the lot of em ;)

Redstar
07-30-2008, 10:56 AM
I know exactly what you guys were polite enough not to point out (and thank you), exactly why I re-oriented it. Beleive me, it was purely unintentional.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw another image at first... :lol:

waldronate
07-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Teeheee, you said WEE :P

P.S. Is it me, or are us middle aged guys worse than school boys ;)

We are schoolboys who have finally realized that we don't much care what other people think.

Steel General
08-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Well I was finally able to get back to this and get a bit more done on it. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

landorl
08-05-2008, 09:59 PM
One thing that I am having a hard time with is seeing the "depth" of the map. I can't tell if it is a hill or a crag. By your initial post, it is a crag. I just can't see a sense of the depth.

Other than that it is a great looking map.

Steel General
08-06-2008, 09:44 AM
One thing that I am having a hard time with is seeing the "depth" of the map. I can't tell if it is a hill or a crag. By your initial post, it is a crag. I just can't see a sense of the depth.

Other than that it is a great looking map.

Thanks..and I agree with you, it didn't turn out quite as good as I had hoped. Anyone have suggestions on what I can do to give it more "depth"?.

Redstar
08-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks..and I agree with you, it didn't turn out quite as good as I had hoped. Anyone have suggestions on what I can do to give it more "depth"?.
My suggestion would be to make the first drop (from the grass to the first step) more sharply cut. Also, maybe if the water at the bottom was a little bit darker/shadowed by the cliffs around it. Finally, maybe have all the shadows fall in one direction, and at a greater distance to capture the feel that the craig is 100's of feet deep. I guess in summary: shadows are your friend. :)

Steel General
08-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Allrighty then, I think I'm done with this one. I've tried to make it appear that it has more "depth" than the last version I uploaded. Hopefully I succeeded. :?:

I added some trees, roads, paths (on the lowest level), more buildings and other items. Enjoy!

landorl
08-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Wow, that made a huge difference!!!!

Tancread
08-08-2008, 07:47 AM
The new one looks much better, the depth is much more obvious. Not sure on the color difference between the walls/side and the bottom, it is a bit jarring, but I can clearly see what is going on and that is what is important.

Steel General
08-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Not sure on the color difference between the walls/side and the bottom, it is a bit jarring, but I can clearly see what is going on and that is what is important.

Yeah I know what you mean, I played around with the colors for a couple of hours last night, and couldn't get anything I really liked so I went with deepening the shadows, etc.

someguy
08-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Nice, this map gives me Ideas.

And as my players would say, "that can be dangerous".

Steel General
08-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Nice, this map gives me Ideas.

And as my players would say, "that can be dangerous".

Feel free to use it in your campaign if you'd like.