PDA

View Full Version : Breach hull, all die. An Introduction

madcowchef
01-28-2014, 11:11 PM
Howdy. I've been enjoying this forum and using its tutorials for several years now so I guess its time to become a productive member of society or some such. I was born back it 1978 and have been enjoying RPGs since I was a kid and with the help of some graph paper and liberal squinting making functional if not artistic maps nearly as long. My current obsession is trying to make high detail encounter style maps. I have no training but manage to monkey-on-obelisk my way through PS and an outdated version of blender when needs be. All the people here who have taken time out of their personal lives to post tutorials and help others are my personal heroes, thank you!

Here is a sample of a few recent pieces I've done. I de-biggunated them as to be polite.

Domino44
01-28-2014, 11:38 PM
Welcome to the Guild! those maps look really good!

Bogie
01-29-2014, 12:21 AM
Welcome to official membership in the Guild! Excellent maps, worthy of some Rep!

My only complaint is that you de-biggunated them to much. They would be more useful for game play if they were larger. The Forum allows each map to be a little over 4 MB. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge!

Thanks

madcowchef
01-29-2014, 12:43 AM
Ah. I'm terrible at using forums and couldn't find the information on preferred image sizes and the like. The originals are 3000px to a side but I didn't want to get my wrist slapped for excessive uploading. Thanks for the hint!

Jalyha
01-29-2014, 02:29 AM
Gosh if we got in trouble for excessive uploading, I'd be in big trouble for all my goofy little diagrams :(

Anyway, HI! Great maps, and welcome to the fora! :D

Azelor
01-29-2014, 12:27 PM
Hi, you made some very goods maps. Welcome to the Guild and have some Rep!

the file limit is 4.67 mb and my largest image was around 37 millions pixels (8 492px 4 356px) but I do not know the exact limit.

madcowchef
01-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Thanks for all the warm welcomes and the upload info!

Jalyha
01-29-2014, 12:47 PM
Hi, you made some very goods maps. Welcome to the Guild and have some Rep!

the file limit is 4.67 mb and my largest image was around 37 millions pixels (8 492px 4 356px) but I do not know the exact limit.

I don't get that... I had one that was 3000 x 4500 px and it wouldn't upload cause it was too big (around 6 mb)

Redrobes
01-29-2014, 01:11 PM
Pixel size and file size are only related if the file is uncompressed. PNG & JPG are both compressed formats so it depends on what file type you save as. Generally we like JPG for artsy maps like these or PNG for diagrammatic / vector style maps. We do support SVG format too tho.

You know we should redo the challenge we once did which was to make any kind of map you like but it has to be at least 1024x768 size and no more than 64Kb.

We all learned a lot about file compression out of that one.

Jalyha
01-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Well... how do I make my big ole map a smaller file size so I don't lose quality? :?

Redrobes
01-29-2014, 01:50 PM
If your saving a working version with the intention that you want to go back and edit it some more like a master copy then always save in a lossless format whether that is compressed or not. That could be BMP (not compressed) or PNG (compressed but still lossless). Personally I would use whatever is the main editing app format so that it can preserve layers and so on as well. Dont worry about file size.

When exporting a copy for people to use / look at but not edit any further - like on here - then flatten all the layers and save with either a lossless compressed format like PNG if it has detail that needs to stay clean like lines and stuff or use something like JPG which is compressed and lossy. You can specify how lossy you want it and that will determine the file size. More lossy, more loss of detail but smaller file size. Save with something like 80% and it usually looks great but cuts the file size down a lot. There are more tips but thats the basics. You can slightly blur it which will help a lot, align grid like details on 8 pixel boundaries, not have lots of vertical lines in PNG and adjust the colours so that they fall into discreet zones all helps too but all of these are for when you need it real small.

Another tip is that both PNG and JPG have greyscale options too. So if the file is black and white only then make sure you use them and it will cut it to about 1/3 of what it would otherwise be.

madcowchef
01-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Researching file formats? That way lies madness. Thank you for all that. I shall convert them to JPEG and upload them again to the appropriate area of the forum.

Gamerprinter
01-29-2014, 02:18 PM
JPG is ideal for posting online as long as you only save it once. So as Redrobes explained save your file in your software's native format (whatever that is), but export your file to JPG once you're ready to share it. A very simple explanation on how JPG compression works. When you save a JPG file, every 8 x 8 pixels are averaged in color so the color gamut is less, but the file maintains most of its correct coloring. However, if you make an edit (in GIMP/Photoshop) and save that same JPG file, it compresses again (every 8 x 8 pixels are averaged in color), so that things start getting lossy - pixels are missing, color gamut is shrinking. Do an experiment create a JPG, then save, close it, open it, save it (save it a half a dozen times this way) and your image turns into a blur with detail and color going away. Never save a JPG more than one time. However, because the file size is so small, even if you use a higher compression amount, as long as you only saved it once, JPG is compact and has decent image results.