PDA

View Full Version : Mapping Goat island - With real goats!

Jalyha
01-29-2014, 07:12 PM
Okay, so, having checked to make sure it was *technically* allowed... I'm going to incorporate a version of Goat Island into my fantasy world.

Niagra falls gets a lot of press, but that whole area is just lovely, and I think it would be more lovely without all the people :P

So...

My personal irritant is that people tend to think of water as being *seperate* from land... and it is... but not entirely.

So I'm starting with this guideline/tracery which shows it's *all* land.

This is a *really* rough outline of the CLIFFS that would make up the surrounding river and falls, if all the water was somehow cut off:

And this shows those areas of the cliffs that are covered by some amount of water:

So... that's where I'm starting from. :)

I'll probably fail badly at this, but I figured I should at least try a real wip :D

Jalyha
01-29-2014, 08:45 PM
Well I figured out how to do the depths... sort of... for my outline

I've made the lower-lands have the darkest water, middle height lands with a mid tone, and the highest lands with pretty clear water.

The falls and rapids are much lighter, cause, really, it's not the falls, it's the spray at the bottom of those falls.

Now I just have to do the same for the land, and figure out how I'm going to draw and paint it :D

Any commentary at any stage will be appreciated... I thrive on compliments, learn from critiques and really shape up from criticism! :D

Scoopz
01-29-2014, 08:49 PM
You know this is pretty cool, but I gotta say: when you said you were mapping goat island I thought you mean New Zealand!

... you know... cause of the 7:1 goat to person ratio... ok whatever.

Domino44
01-29-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. It looks really cool so far! :)

Jalyha
01-29-2014, 08:55 PM
You know this is pretty cool, but I gotta say: when you said you were mapping goat island I thought you mean New Zealand!

... you know... cause of the 7:1 goat to person ratio... ok whatever.

LOL!!

It's actually named Goat Island... even though I don't think there's goats now... it looks pretty urbanized. But I intend to bring a little NZ to NY! :D

(Maybe even more than the goats... that's some beautiful country!)

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. It looks really cool so far! :)

Thanks! Now if only I have enough steam to finish it!! :D

Jalyha
01-29-2014, 11:26 PM
Okay, so... I've completely abandoned the *real* goat island at this point.

I have the water heights approximated, and that's all I needed. With no more inspiration, I tried to estimate some land heights, and then I tried to approximate the water flow in a couple of the falls.

So now I don't know where to go from here. I can show more land, and more detail, if I do a top down view, but then I lose most of the beauty of the waterfall. so... not sure. I'm looking for a good compromise. :P

Here's what I've drawn so far!

Did some more work, but then decided it was too messy to do all at once, so I'm going to do it in sections. :)

I started, obviously, with Goat Island itself. :)

He'res *just* the seperation of land and water ... I know it needs a lot of work but I'll get there .. oh and I did it as a screenshot of my layers (well, as many as would fit) so people can see my process and if they feel like it ... tell me what I could do better/easier..

AND now I should go for the night! :)

Nathan
01-30-2014, 04:31 AM
Ok, here is for all the people who wished to see a real goat in this thread :

Ilanthar
01-30-2014, 06:17 AM
By Jalyha
I'll probably fail badly at this, but I figured I should at least try a real wip

Why? There's no reason to that. Personnally, I've never been disappointed by one of my work in the end with a WIP. There's so many precious helpers and supporters here!

It seems to me that you have a good start for an ambitious project (a lot of data taken into account here :o )

I think it's rather the sheep ratio in New Zealand.

Xeonicus
01-30-2014, 09:16 AM
This looks really interesting. It definitely makes me reconsider how I think about integrating water and land in a map.

Jalyha
01-30-2014, 10:02 AM
Ok, here is for all the people who wished to see a real goat in this thread :

LOL :P I'll adopt your goat. The rest... They are coming! First I have to ... y'know... grow stuff for them to eat :P

Why? There's no reason to that. Personnally, I've never been disappointed by one of my work in the end with a WIP. There's so many precious helpers and supporters here!

It seems to me that you have a good start for an ambitious project (a lot of data taken into account here :o )

My attention wanders, like a 5 year old, without redirection. In most things when I hit a wall, I tend to move away... and mapping is harder than painting :(

But I'm trying to stick to it! :o

This looks really interesting. It definitely makes me reconsider how I think about integrating water and land in a map.

Yeaap. :) Water is weird... except where there's like... plate hole stuff things under the ocean, the whole ocean bottom is cliffs too. Everything above the molten core is layers of dirt. (Or gasses / spaces between the dirt).

Water, as important as it is to us, is kind of an afterthought. It just... fills in the lower bits :D

Fun little story of why this irks me: Me and a friend went weight diving in the river one year with some rented scuba gear. If you had enough air (and could see through the muck) (and weren't afraid of wild things) you could walk all the way across the whole river.

We got the idea cause we were talking about people "fording rivers" cause we'd been playing oregon trail in one class or another, and how, in some rivers, with a low enough water level, people really could walk right across. :)

Of course, I'm sure there's holes and chasms and dangerous drop offs, but yeah... all dirt. Not that anyone cares LOL :P (I talk a lot!)

ANYway, here's my latest WIP for those who want to see progress (And Nathan's goat has become my mascot. :P )

Lyrillies
01-30-2014, 11:17 AM
I came here for the goats and was not disappointed :D
And then after discovering that awesome goat there was even a beautiful map to look at! What a surprise!

Ok ok back to topic: I really like your map so far! Goat island is definitely a very interesting piece of land and I hope your mind will stay with it for a while. The shape is awesome and those waterfalls make it very special. Where exactly is it? And I think it's a great thing you're doing there, giving it a space where humans won't destroy it… An island like that should be covered by beautiful green grass and forests and … goats of course!

Jalyha
01-30-2014, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I never noticed how gorgeous the *land* was.

Goat Island is (technically?) in New York... it's part of nigara falls, on the border between the US and Canada. :D

I'd like to clean up *ALL* the metro areas like that, lol :) ...maybe less goats in some places than others, though... :P

Lyrillies
01-30-2014, 12:20 PM
Awww don't discriminate against the goats! they need a place to live, too! :P

ooh the state of new york, now I get it! ... European as I am I thought of the city and was confused. But it all makes sense now.

Ilanthar
01-30-2014, 12:59 PM
I like your last improvement very much! The reliefs are easy to spot and the falls very well done. Just waiting for the goats now :D

Jalyha
01-30-2014, 01:41 PM
Thanks! I still need to clean up the drawing a lot, though. And then it will go:

Grass/flowers/rocks

Shrubbery

Trees

Village

Goats :D

Lots of goats, I hope! :)

And I think I'm going to stick with just the piece of island I have instead of trying to map *everything* lol. :)

Domino44
01-31-2014, 11:47 AM
Goats are cool, I know someone who has a few and I have gone and bottle fed her kid goats (kid goats are adorable!). Yes baby goats are called kids. :)

As far as your map goes it look really good so far!

Cute fact about baby goats, they chew on your hair if you let them. :)

Jalyha
01-31-2014, 01:02 PM
Thanks... I keep flipping back and forth on whether I should be workiing on this or on my challenge entry :o

And are you saying there would be no need for barber shops on goat island? :P

Jalyha
01-31-2014, 06:39 PM
Tiny touches on goat island...

madcowchef
01-31-2014, 07:13 PM
I kind of want to make a fantasy world the whole of which rides around on the back of a vast goat now. You just know there are a lot of derogatory statements about people who live too far back on the goat. I for one am glad that the actual goat continues to be included. He's become dear to me.

Jalyha
01-31-2014, 07:18 PM
LOL :P

I'm glad you like the goat. ^_^ he's my pet now.

Okay, one more update, so you can see him again.

lostatsea
01-31-2014, 08:31 PM
I've been there a few times though is has been awhile.(My sister lives nearby). The views are great . I especially liked walking through the tunnels (Caves of Wind) to get to the foot of the falls. The view from there is very different and MISTY. Nice job so far keep up the good work !!

Jalyha
01-31-2014, 08:33 PM
THANKS! :)

I'm having a go at trying to recreate the overall *feel* of the area, but putting in my own touches. I hope I can do it justice ^.^

Ilanthar
02-01-2014, 08:13 AM
OK, I have to ask... No humans on Goat Island, even men with a goatee? And what about satyrs? :D

Jalyha
02-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Oh, I don't know ... I'd planned to make a settlement of some sort :) But there won't be a LOT of people :P

My goal is (although I'm finding it difficult) to make the land visible and beautiful again :D

Satyrs... maybe :o I hadn't thought about it! :o

Lyrillies
02-01-2014, 10:34 AM
I heard SATYRS! :o
I vote in favor of satyrs. Satyrs everywhere. Especially on Goat Island! SATYRS!

The map is coming along great by the way, I really like where you're going with it!

Jalyha
02-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Thanks!! It's definitely taking on a life of its' own :o Kind of scary really! :D

And now that my Lite Challenge entry is finished, it will be taking over my life as well, I'm sure :)

I'll think seriously about the satyrs ^_^

Jalyha
02-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Okay, I'm kind of stuck. Well... not really stuck.. there's other things I can do, like work on the water, while I figure this out, but....

Okay here's what I'm trying to do:

A - needs to be a high cliff... higher than the falls to the north, that recedes (either in a gradual slope or as steppes - "B" )

C - The land here juts up again, from the lower ground south of A/B

D - nearly as high a shelf as A

E - lowest point on the land.

F - A big hole/valley/crater/something in the ground

So I'm wondering if 1) This will work? and 2) Any ideas on how to make it look that way? :D

Lingon
02-01-2014, 01:35 PM
The most common ways of showing elevation are height curves or shadows and highlights. I think you mentioned sometime that you are used to painting other things than maps? In that case I guess shadows would come naturally to you :)

Jalyha
02-01-2014, 01:43 PM
I CAN DO SHADOWS ! :D

I'm mapping from a funny angle.. makes it hard to think :P

okay be right back with a testing/type update.

Alright.. tested 2 different types of shadow effects near the north tip and 1 on the largest mini-island... does it look... cliffy? :P

Korash
02-01-2014, 07:27 PM
I would say that the northern one looks more "cliffy". For a better blend with the map itself, I would think about putting the cliffs as an overlay, but as is it does suit the surrounding more that the island.

For the other changes in elevation, you could sculpt the land mass by using layers of shadow to show the lower parts of the land, and thereby emphasizing the higher...This (http://www.cartographersguild.com/tutorials-how/1150-%5Baward-winner%5D-medieval-town-map-tutorial-photoshop.html)is a tutorial that I liked that shows a good way of doing that. If you are interested there is a PDF of that right here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/tutorials-how/4987-tutorials-pdf-format.html). Scroll down to the Photoshop related tutorials and it is the second one. The technique is basically the same regardless of software, providing that you can use layers and set opacity.

**EDIT
I am sure that other techniques are out there through out this site, but that is the one that comes to mind first.

Jalyha
02-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Thanks Korash!

... I was leaning toward the northern end as well :P

I'm... probably doing something wrong, but every time I set a layer to "overlay" (I'm using gimp) when I merge it, later, it doesn't look the same.. it looks like it would if I had it set to normal?

I'm too lazy to figure out why, so I've just been avoiding it :D

But I'm reading the tutorial (and a few others that caught my eye again) right now! :)

Jalyha
02-03-2014, 07:13 PM
My biggest problem is that it is VERY hard to control my 7 year old mouse, and I have no other way to put lines/colors into my laptop.

I did a quick minute-sketch of goat island (more detailed than my gimp version, but not by much)

The problem I hit is getting it on the computer. The only thing I have is my cruddy webcam, and this is the result:

I think I may have to invest in some sort of drawing equipment :(

Azelor
02-03-2014, 07:50 PM
My biggest problem is that it is VERY hard to control my 7 year old mouse, and I have no other way to put lines/colors into my laptop.
I think I may have to invest in some sort of drawing equipment :(

then wait a bit, mine celebrated her 12th birthday and she's pretty docile.
The overall quality is poor. You could try taking a picture with a camera.

Jalyha
02-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Lol we don't have meeces we has a hamster :P

I haven't got a digital camera, a scanner, a cell phone, or a tablet, lol. I'm pretty much living in the dark ages.

I looked at some electronics at walmart today but idk what to get, even if I could afford it :/

Lingon
02-04-2014, 07:28 AM
I'd be very interested in seeing a more or less completely hand-painted map by you :) A scanner is pretty much a necessary investment then though. A4 scanners aren't too bad in price, especially if you're ok with doing some touch-ups and color tweaks in GIMP or such, and you can still scan larger paintings with it by pasting together segments.

Jalyha
02-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Is that allowed? :o That would be sooooo much easier...

A4 = one of those hand-held scanner thingies?

Falconius
02-04-2014, 11:33 AM
A4 refers to the paper size, or in the case of the scanner the size of the bed. A4 is the regular letter size. I'd recommend getting a little bigger one than that ideally as long as the price is ok. I don't even think they make those hand scanner things anymore tbh.

Cunning Cartographer
02-04-2014, 11:47 AM
Is that allowed? :o That would be sooooo much easier...

Not entirely sure what kind of place you think this is :D You could draw a map in mud and take a picture of it and uploaded it if you wanted to. People just come here to learn how to get better at drawing maps :)

Gamerprinter
02-04-2014, 12:41 PM
A4 refers to the paper size, or in the case of the scanner the size of the bed. A4 is the regular letter size. I'd recommend getting a little bigger one than that ideally as long as the price is ok. I don't even think they make those hand scanner things anymore tbh.

Yeah, I am so spoiled, I have a 36 inch wide roll top style full color scanner (limited 300 ppi), its a part of my Canon IP 760 inkjet printer (mounted above the printer) - I can scan up to 36 inches by 10+ feet! An 11 x 17 flatbed scanner used to be my "large format scanner" - now I'm just spoiled.

@ Jalyha - I don't have (nor want) a cell phone either. I have a drawing tablet I never use - so personal electronics, I lack, but studio level graphic electronics, I have in spades.

Lingon
02-04-2014, 12:58 PM
There are no rules, Jalyha :) All my maps are painted with watercolors, ink, pencil, and/or acrylics, with some additions digitally. The Antillia map has a lot of digital stuff (for me), others have almost nothing except a color restoration after scanning. And A4 is 210x297mm, standard printer paper. From what I found when I bought my scanner, they get exponentially more expensive as you go up in size (well, haven't done the math, and there are exceptions of course, but you get my point…).

Gamerprinter
02-04-2014, 01:07 PM
I paid roughly $6000 for my large format inkjet printer/scanner that came with a PC and touch screen monitor. Ten years ago, I saw a 24" x 36" flatbed scanner for $50,000 - so scanner prices have really dropped, but still out the hands for most average people price-wise.

Jalyha
02-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Oh, mr. fancy pants with the fancy equipments :(

Can I borrow it? :P

No but seriously, if I'm going to be doing any of this online, I'm going to have to invest in something >.<

Wonder how much a scanner would cost that could handle one of my larger canvases....

I need to win the lottery :P

Not entirely sure what kind of place you think this is :D You could draw a map in mud and take a picture of it and uploaded it if you wanted to. People just come here to learn how to get better at drawing maps :)

No mud here... only snow! Would that work? CANIDOASNOWMAPPLEASE? :)

Still need a camera for that, though.... >.<

Anyway, I think I can get used to GIMP, even if I can't get a scanner (I tried painting a landscape picture of my goat island this morning in gimp, and it turned out okay)

I think my main problem is *perspective*... I can't *see* the land from the top down.... I can *almost* but not quite, not always, see it from an isometric viewpoint...

I don't know how to turn the goat island I see in my head into a MAP. >.<

But I'll get it eventually. And in the meantime maybe rob a bank or two :P (kidding, kidding... couldn't afford the gun and mask :P ) (Okay bad joke, I'm just reaaaaaally frustrated :( )

Larb
02-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Well at least I'm not the only one who doesn't own a cell phone then. I hate the things.

By the way, those monoprice drawing tablets (http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=108&cp_id=10841) are pretty cheap and I know at least one of them got some good reviews (http://frenden.com/post/31659364200/the-little-monoprice-graphics-tablet-that-could). I have been meaning to pick one up myself to compare it to my intuos 4 but have not been able to yet so I can not vouch for them personally.

Gamerprinter
02-04-2014, 01:58 PM
Just so everyone understands, I'm not some rich guy with lots of cool toys, the equipment is for my digital print/graphic design studio - I do lots of photo enlargement printing, PDF printing, CAD plotting for engineers, manufacturers and the government, I do some work for USGS. Really, I'm the only shop in 30 mile radius that has the kind of equipment I do, so I serve everyone. If I weren't in business, I couldn't afford this stuff for just my purposes.

Jalyha
02-04-2014, 02:00 PM
By the way, those monoprice drawing tablets (http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=108&cp_id=10841) are pretty cheap and I know at least one of them got some good reviews (http://frenden.com/post/31659364200/the-little-monoprice-graphics-tablet-that-could). I have been meaning to pick one up myself to compare it to my intuos 4 but have not been able to yet so I can not vouch for them personally.

Oh, now that looks affordable. :)

How do I know if it will work with my laptop? And what batteries to order? I hate technology >.<

As for the cell-phone... I'm kind of old school... I think when out and about you should be focused on what you're doing, and the people you're with. If you're at home, well, that's what a landline is for.

I also can't justify the extra expense, when it's still cheaper (for me) to have my home phone with 2 lines, call waiting, voicemail AND internet in my home AND access to a wifi network that extends almost anywhere I go regularly, so....

I just have Lizzie (my laptop, she's been with me for 7 years too) and my beat up old mouse, and my home phone :)

But a $30 drawing device I could squeeze in... although they will probably get me on replacemnt batteries and pens and things at some point :(

Do you know if that's a secure site to buy them from? :)

Jalyha
02-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Just so everyone understands, I'm not some rich guy with lots of cool toys, the equipment is for my digital print/graphic design studio - I do lots of photo enlargement printing, PDF printing, CAD plotting for engineers, manufacturers and the government, I do some work for USGS. Really, I'm the only shop in 30 mile radius that has the kind of equipment I do, so I serve everyone. If I weren't in business, I couldn't afford this stuff for just my purposes.

You know I was just teasing you, right? :P

Gamerprinter
02-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Of course, but since I don't frequent the guild as much as I used to, some people might not know who I am or what to think of me - just setting the record straight.

Jalyha
02-04-2014, 02:18 PM
So, GP, I suppose the real question is, since you said you *wouldn't* have these things if it weren't for your business, what would you recommend *instead*, for people who don't have that advantage.

What would you use, if you didn't have what you have for work?

Gamerprinter
02-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Well, I'd get at least an A4 sized scanner, you can find them for around $50, which is cheap. Once you go from letter size to tabloid the price really jumps, but for me that would be the minimum size I'd use for a digital scanner. I have done 11 x 17 scans of large format drawings in up to 6 pieces then stitched back together in Photoshop/GIMP in the past for customers before I ever had a large format scanner. Really, most people are going to draw at letter size up to 11 x 17 anyway and not larger, unless they have a sure thing scanning solution for the size they create at. Since I have access to large format scanner, I draw at large format scale - I probably wouldn't if my scanning capability was limited.

To me a digital camera is good for a lot of things, but never as a replacement for a digital scanner. Once the focal range is too far (more than a few feet), the image looks crappy with weird shadows cast. Despite the overall resolution of the camera (5 Mpixel whatever) most digital cameras take 72 ppi images even if the image is equivalent to 24" x 36" JPG - its still a crappy image, graphically speaking. I would have no problem using a digital camera to capture photo images you intend to use as texture fills in maps - rock surfaces, concrete, etc, but not as a digital scanner. Whenever I see a hand-drawn map posted from a cell phone image, I shrink with distaste.

It also depends on how much you'd be charged for going to your local Kinkos or other graphics shop with similar capabilities to my shop. How much do they charge for large format scans: B/W, grayscale, color? If its reasonable, and if you don't produce more than one map a week, and if you're being paid or otherwise reimbursed for your efforts (having a great game experience because of it), then it might be worth it. Of course if you're an extremely prolific mapper like me (maybe 2-3 maps per week) it could get expensive, then looking to purchase your digital scanner becomes more viable.

Jalyha
02-04-2014, 03:08 PM
wait wait wait...

Do you think it would be less expensive, if I don't do a LOT of maps, I could just pay someone to scan them onto my computer? (I thought kinkos just made copies? :? )

Then I could go home and edit the images to my heart's content, right? :)

Is that less expensive?

(And if you cringe at cell phone pics, my webcam "scan" shots must send you into convulsions, LOL)

Gamerprinter
02-04-2014, 03:21 PM
It depends on how many maps you need scanned over the long haul, whether the purchase of a digital scanner is cost effective or not. I really don't know the competitive rate for scanning is - I know what I charge, but I cannot say that it would be the same at Kinkos or other similar shops. But yes, most Kinkos can do digital scanning as well as copying. I'm guessing you could purchase a small scanner for the price of paying for 10 or more scans. I think it would be cost effective for you to pick up a small scanner.

And yes, webcam shots put me into convulsions - I have a spoon to depress my tongue, close by, just in case of that happening... :P

Jalyha
02-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Grab your spoon then >.<

I tried tracing over my 1-minute concept sketch of the goat island map. My camera is so bad... I wish it would take a larger shot >.<

Anyway, it shows up a little better in ink..

My main problems are, obviously, the euipment, and the fact that I can't make that ^ look like the picture of goat island in my head, which is roughly something like this V

Falconius
02-04-2014, 04:46 PM
If you are drawing or painting by hand and digitally editing then a scanner is a pretty useful tool to have, whether it's maps or not. The one I'm using now is part of the scanner/fax/printer thing. I would personally would prefer to have the flatbed scanner separate though since it is physically easier to use. For instance the top is much lighter and hinges from the thin part in the flat bed I left at my parents, it's easier to scan larger things in sections than it is in the printer/scanner one I have here where I kind of have to crush the papers in a little. If you are an artist and you are using the computer I think 50-60 bucks for a scanner is worth it. Even if you are not it can be.

Jalyha
02-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Even if that's half your monthly food budget? :P

I kid... sort of. Okay so I think I will go for the $30 drawing tablet thingy, as soon as I can. Until then, if I get HORRIBLY desperate, I will find somewhere to scan stuff for me.

Then, if the fates allow, and someday I'm rich, I'll get the $60ish scanners >.<

(This is why I've never done anything digital before, lol :)

Larb
02-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Jalyha: I believe those monoprice tablets should work fine on windows XP/vista/7 devices from what I looked up. Although not all the bundled extras support 7, but the device itself does.

I own a scanner but it is an old Canon N656u. I have not used it in forever though but apparently plenty of people have got it working on windows 7. It's a small A4 scanner but I always found it was suited perfectly to my needs.

Which reminds me given all this hardware talk. There is a software discussion forum but there doesn't seem to be anything for hardware despite some specialist stuff being used by many members of the community.

Falconius
02-04-2014, 06:02 PM
I don't think hardware comes up too much really, there was a wonderful thread/tutorial on someones drawing tools and pens and things of that nature somewhere here. Other then the few instances where it's relevant what is there to talk about really?

Hmm, scanner or tablet. That is a tough decision. I'd probably go with the tablet too.

To be honest, unless you are going for and staying on high end equipment/programs digital probably works out to be cheaper over the long than buying paper and pens and the other general art supplies one goes through while working by hand. That said you can achieve top grade stuff with just regular art supplies/tool which isn't always the case with digital. Thank god for open source software.

Jalyha
02-04-2014, 06:37 PM
Well, seeing as it's 2014 and I'm still using the same supplies (except for Lizzie) as I had back in the dark ages of the 1990s, I'm thinking I should probably upgrade *something*.. I'll order that one, since we're pretty sure it will work :P

And I'm probably not going to use it as much as some do... I *do* need to move away from painting and into a different field, but I was intending to focus primarily on my writing.. not cartography :P (Although cartography is becoming an obsession O.o )

So... I figure with a tablet I can spend less, use it to achieve the map I need, and maybe take down notes/make illustrations as needed, but not feel too bad if I end up not using it after a few months time.

As for "all this hardware talk"... I think there SHOULD be a place for it. Not a long drawn out thing, but... like there's the one thread that shows the different software and the price range/a little info...

A list of common hardware would be nice too. I see lots of people ask "how do you" something, that requires a scanner or a tablet, and even the tutorials will say something like "turn the pressure opacity on your tablet OFF" and I'm like, unhhh...

I'm sure there's some other newbies just as confused as me :P

Anyway... I'm thinking since my cam makes everything smaller and squished/blurry, I'm going to need to draw BIGGER. And maybe paste some pics together, lol.

Like... a full page for the temple you can't make out on top of the cliff in the center of the island :)

Maybe, ...idk.

Or one of those "hand-drawn" style maps?

What do you guys think would work best? >.<

Azelor
02-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Your drawing look pretty good:)

about your problem, I think photography, small printing companies, or other similar business offers scanning services for a small fee.

Jalyha
02-04-2014, 07:31 PM

Okay well, I just ordered the mono-whatsit drawing tablet. (The smallest one, for $23!) And if I need anything else done, I'll go the scanning services route, I suppose :)

Yay I'm moving into the right century! (Sort of :P )

Azelor
02-04-2014, 07:37 PM

Okay well, I just ordered the mono-whatsit drawing tablet. (The smallest one, for $23!) And if I need anything else done, I'll go the scanning services route, I suppose :)

There was a similar joke about Russia. ''In 1860, Russia finally enters in the 19th century'' So it could be worst since it took you only 14 years.

23$ for a tablet! I paid one around 80$ and it was the cheapest at that time :(

Larb
02-04-2014, 07:48 PM

Oh keep in mind there is a brief "disconnect" as your brain adjusts to tablet drawing. The actual drawing process is not any different but your brain needs to get used to what you're drawing appearing infront of you on a screen instead of on paper. It can take a few weeks (it's how long it took me) and afterwords it will feel perfectly natural.

Jalyha
02-04-2014, 08:27 PM
There was a similar joke about Russia. ''In 1860, Russia finally enters in the 19th century'' So it could be worst since it took you only 14 years.

That's me. Still in the 19th century :P

I couldn't have afforded an $80 one :)

Oh keep in mind there is a brief "disconnect" as your brain adjusts to tablet drawing. The actual drawing process is not any different but your brain needs to get used to what you're drawing appearing infront of you on a screen instead of on paper. It can take a few weeks (it's how long it took me) and afterwords it will feel perfectly natural.

I can imagine. I'm still trying to connect my brain with the mouse!! :o

Ilanthar
02-05-2014, 05:00 AM
I confess I haven't read all the discussion since I the last time I had a look here... But, anyway, I agree with Azelor, your drawing is very good.
So, you got to find a way to put your drawing talent to contribution!

Jalyha
02-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys. Now just have to wait for the darned tablet to get here :P

Lyrillies
02-05-2014, 09:54 AM
seems like we had the same idea, Jalyha! Although I must say I think you were doing fine even without the tablet :)

Actually I think other companies than the traditional ones just had enough time to copy the technology now. But from what I found during my search for a tablet all last week, I think that if you can afford to focus on quality 80 is still the least you'll have to pay...

Jalyha
02-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Lol. Leend is much more interesting than goat island, though! :)

Here's some more goat island... just me messing around with some basic brushes/tools in GIMP trying to figure out what to do:

Azelor
02-05-2014, 10:30 AM
It look like another project...

Jalyha
02-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Lol. I can't get it straight in my head how it would look from any given angle, so I keep trying different ones. :/

It does look pretty dark and stormy, doesn't it? :( Was trying to make the temple stand out. Oh well.

Lyrillies
02-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Lol. Leend is much more interesting than goat island, though! :)
haha it isn't! Just bigger… :P

Also, that picture is awesome! You should totally do an isometric map of Goat island! (is that what it's called?)
Actually I could imagine that might help with the bird view if you first get a sense of how it would look from the side, and from above the waterfalls, below the waterfalls, etc. Might make adding the cliffs and slopes in the bird's eye map easier, no?

Jalyha
02-05-2014, 11:26 AM
That was my line of reasoning... A view from down by the goat folds, one from the beach/flatland, etc...

Was thinking I could do pictures all the way around the island aand above, and below, and SMOOSH them into a mappable area :P

Ilanthar
02-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Ha, now I see the painter at work ! ;)

Jalyha
02-05-2014, 12:03 PM
Except I shouldn't be painting, I should be mapping... And I can't paint very WELL, with a mouse & Gimp... things don't work the way they are supposed to. :P

I'll figure it out though!

Jalyha
02-05-2014, 02:24 PM
It look like another project...

So... this comment kept bugging me, and I couldn't think why.. And then I went back and looked at what I wanted to do when I started Goat Island.

I wanted to make it my own, yes, but I was captivated by the beauty of the LAND... and I've completely changed that land. (Oops). I want to get back to the real goat island, only cleaner and greener. I can worry about incorporating into "my world" after I've done that. So, I'm starting over AGAIN, since somewhere along the way, I lost my inspiration. I think after I stopped looking at the photo, my mind was trying to make the falls more plausible with more cliffs... and the cliffs got more and more looming, and darker and more mysterious, until the land wasn't pretty at all.

Here's an aerial photo of Goat Island... this is what I'm trying to capture.

I've strayed so far from that...

So now I'm going to slow down, and take my time, and figure it out RIGHT :)

Gamerprinter
02-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Not that it will help you, but native American folklore states that a giant snake lives in a cave under the falls - though I don't know if that was the American or Canadian falls (which side of Goat Island this applies). When I say giant, I mean over a hundred feet long...?

Jalyha
02-05-2014, 03:41 PM
I was reading a map that said there was a snake hole... I thought it was a habitat map, but maybe..... ?? :o :o :o

Meanwhile... here's what I'm up to

EDIT: uhhh attachment didn't show up...

Lingon
02-06-2014, 02:51 AM
That looks very promising. Now paint it with oils! :D

Jalyha
02-06-2014, 03:33 AM
:D Thanks... first thing in the morning though :P

Gonna give it a good try, anyway ^.^

Jalyha
02-06-2014, 02:14 PM
That looks very promising. Now paint it with oils! :D

Getting there! :)

I've got it painted, now I just have to turn it into a map, and then bring in the HUMANS, and maybe add a few twists to make it part of my world.

:)

Here's what I have so far: