PDA

View Full Version : Another attempt at a world map

AlexSchacher
01-31-2014, 04:20 AM
Hello. Some of you might remember that I was working on the shape of the continents to base my world in a few months ago. I scrapped my previous map, to go for something that could technically fit on a globe rather than just a square. Right now I'm just curious what others think of the world shape (again). I have avoided the poles so far, I am not sure if I want polar caps on either or both or neither poles yet, although I am definately missing some snowy lands (unless I just moved the "snowy" part closer to the equator). My problem is that I don't want to overcomplicate and crowd the map with more land masses (maybe?). Anyways! Any feedback is appreciated! The map is in Equirectangular projection and Ill post a couple of globe views as well.

Also I should mention that the biome coloring is just a gradient to show approximate temperature zones, not actual biomes. Mountains are also just a base idea, very subject to change.

Caenwyr
01-31-2014, 05:06 AM
I really like your continent shapes. They look very stretched, as if I'm looking at them through a fish-eye lens, but projected onto a globe they look marvelous! Which reminds me: if you want polar / subpolar regions, you could just move your north and southpole around a bit - see what happens then!

Falconius
01-31-2014, 07:51 AM
I love it, those landforms are right up my alley.

Domino44
01-31-2014, 09:00 AM
I love the landforms! I'm looking forward to what you do with this! :)

AlexSchacher
04-21-2014, 09:48 PM
*3 months later*

So I was trying to add some land on the north polar region by converting my map into a stereographic projection. Below are pictures of what I did to it. My problem is, Im using G.Projector to change projections, but it only accepts equirectangular as an input, so now Im stuck not knowing how to bring this back into my equirectangular map to see how it looks. I wish trying to map this was as simple as drawing vectors on a 3d globe and being able to export to an equirectangular map. I wonder now, how the experts here map a globe? In any case, if I could atleast figure a way to convert this back to equirectangular I could deal with that.

Rwexler
04-22-2014, 06:50 AM
Well I you own photoshop ( CS6 ) You can put you map on a globe in the 3d section. this helps me quite a lot whenever I want to check if all the borders merge correctly.
Another option would be the programm/simulation game called "Universe Sandbox". with this tool you can not only put onw textures on a globe but create whole solar systems on your own.
You might try that...

Pixie
04-22-2014, 05:13 PM
g.projector can use other projections as input. U need to change that in the options, after starting the program.

AlexSchacher
04-22-2014, 06:09 PM
From the G.Projector website:

"But if you apply an input map at the start and if you select a bitmap image, then (1) it must be in equirectangular form, and (2) it must have no border or margin. After you select a map image, a dialog will appear requiring you to enter the lines of longitudes and latitudes that define the edges of the image."

From what I was able to tell, G.Projector is not able to import anything other than Equirectangular. Fortunately the ReprojectImage program does what I needed.

AlexSchacher
05-01-2014, 06:19 PM
So I finally was able to figure out mapping the polar regions. I used G.Projector to grab the a polar stereographic projection from my equirectangular map, draw on that, and figured out how to correctly use ReprojectImage to bring it back into equirectangular.

Here is an updated version of where I am now:

And a globe view (orthographic technically, I guess) of how the north pole looks in relation to the land nearby without all the distortion.

I also was trying to figure out which projection I wanted to start making a nice looking map in, and I kind of came up with an interesting idea using the Gnomonic cube, and after a bit of searching I wasnt able to find anything like this out there in the wild internets. Basically just used the north and south polar sections, and tiled them on top of each of the 4 equator regions rather than just 1. Not sure of what the usage would be, but its kind of cool being able to see decent shapes all around the globe, and how they connect together. The strange part is obviously the lines that seperate the 4 north poles from each other, as theres no correlation there:

AlexSchacher
05-19-2014, 02:11 AM

Another update. Still messing around with the landmasses. Trying to figure out when to say when, or I'll never come to a finishing point :/

AlexSchacher
05-20-2014, 05:32 AM
Alright, hopefully I've settled on mostly-final landshapes. I needed to move on with this, so I went ahead and laid down general mountain ranges and coastal shelves. The world creation thus far is not based on tectonics, so the landmasses/mountain ranges/coastal shelves are kind of just placed in a psuedo-realistic way, although I want to it to feel real, even if a land makeup like this would be pretty hard to explain with tectonics.

AlexSchacher
05-22-2014, 05:20 PM
So Ive been trying to map out the ocean currents, and this is my 5th attempt. The way my world is laid out, the currents are giving me a headache. Any criticism and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if I'm doing too many currents either, or if it should be more simplified than this. Ive also attached the same map with numbers marking most of the currents, to make it easier for someone to point out specific currents if need be.

Azelor
05-22-2014, 07:13 PM
The black lines seems to indicate that you have a strong current at the equator. Maybe there are too many arrows and it give the wrong impression. The rest look ok.

Ilanthar
05-23-2014, 04:22 AM
Very original land shapes, I really like the overall display.

Pixie
05-23-2014, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I suppose your map produces a maze of currents. The planet will have a lot of shallow currents, fast currents and the whole lot!

As for your work, it looks pretty good to me. There is only one place where I think you got it slightly wrong. I don't think current 38 would split across that sea. Cold currents run deep and stick to the coast and that split would generate a cold current moving against the wind and away from the coast. I think it would be warm water form the equator (from currents 37 and 41) that would fill that space. But, really, not sure at all.

There's a second engine for ocean currents, which is the sinking of salty water from the equator and the upwelling of fresh water at the cold currents. I chose to ignore this in the "sort-of-tutorial" you mentioned, maybe it can't be ignored in your map to understand what would be going on. Yet, I'd be satisfied with this.

AlexSchacher
05-28-2014, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I suppose your map produces a maze of currents. The planet will have a lot of shallow currents, fast currents and the whole lot!

As for your work, it looks pretty good to me. There is only one place where I think you got it slightly wrong. I don't think current 38 would split across that sea. Cold currents run deep and stick to the coast and that split would generate a cold current moving against the wind and away from the coast. I think it would be warm water form the equator (from currents 37 and 41) that would fill that space. But, really, not sure at all.

There's a second engine for ocean currents, which is the sinking of salty water from the equator and the upwelling of fresh water at the cold currents. I chose to ignore this in the "sort-of-tutorial" you mentioned, maybe it can't be ignored in your map to understand what would be going on. Yet, I'd be satisfied with this.

Thanks for checking it out, so far Ive done maybe 10 different versions, and I think this is the best version Ive come up with so far. I just fixed the area you talked about. Im wondering, does it make sense to have water coming into an area but not coming out? Or can this be explained by smaller currents that arent worth mapping, or something? For instance, the area I fixed (around currents 38, 37, 41) There are a few currents bringing water into that gyre, but none leaving it. Also, current 50/52 brings water into the southern pole gyre which connects to the 38,37,41 gyre, and there is no currents leaving this area. Is this something that needs to be fixed or is that normal?

I've also started trying to work on the next step of your tutorial, although Im not sure what else to take into account when placing the ITCZ/Polar fronts and pressure zones other than everything moves up north slightly in July and south slightly in January, with greater distances over land. But Ill post what I came up with.

AlexSchacher
05-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Alright, Ive attempted to map out the low and high pressure areas, although I feel as though I dont know exactly what Im doing. Any advice on this?

Pixie
05-29-2014, 08:22 PM
Never tried to make a map like this last one, so I can't really offer advice. But I think that one needs to bear in mind that we're looking for patterns and avoid making "stills" when it comes to mapping climate.

As for your previous maps, (with ITCZ and everything else). I think you should place those large low pressure centers (green) in the "warm" hemisphere only - that's south in january and north in july. And also, your landmasses don't seem big enough to have such a pronounced curve on the ITCZ. This is my opinion based on comparison to Earth's patterns - I'm no climatologist.

As for your currents, I'm no oceanographer either, but I found these gems:
PlanetInAction.com - "Perpetual Ocean demo" (http://www.planetinaction.com/currents/)
NASA | The Ocean: A Driving Force for Weather and Climate - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vgvTeuoDWY)

jtougas
05-29-2014, 09:13 PM
I am always amazed at the level of detail and science that goes into these types of maps. I caught your landmasses and thought to myself " Wow those look like they were created by the tears of the One Dragon, the World Giver".. but that's me I could never get my head around all of the science to do what you are doing. Keep up the great work and have some rep!!

AlexSchacher
05-30-2014, 01:21 PM
http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/images/surface_pres_wind_jan.gif

This map of earth shows the itzc dipping quite a bit over africa and south america, but i suppose i may have exaggerated the dipping a bit too much on my eastern continent.

As for the pressure map, i was trying to figure out where the average pressure zones would be located, a pattern, like in this map of earth. I also felt lead to do this by geoffs climate cookbook when he talks about continents becoming low pressure zones during summer and merging with the itcz and polar fronts, etc. I felt compelled to map this so i could hopefully more accurately map the wind currents.

And as for ocean currents i suppose ill have to do more research on the looping of currents, it does feel odd having "dead ends" and im not sure how ill fix it unless i have currents breaking through the equator to coninue onto the other hemosphere.

Pixie
05-30-2014, 03:32 PM
im not sure how ill fix it unless i have currents breaking through the equator to coninue onto the other hemosphere.

which happens ;) for example, in the Atlantic, like you can see in this image (http://marinebio.org/i/currents/oceancurrents.jpg).

AlexSchacher
05-31-2014, 09:14 PM
Alright, I basically did a version 2 with the pressure zones from scratch, and went on to try to map the wind currents. Purple lines are high pressure, orange lines are low pressure, pink lines are boundary between high and low pressure, the yellow dotted lines are the ITCZ and polar fronts, and wind currents are in black. I will say that the area surrounding the spiral loop area may not seem super realistic/accurate. I pushed that area into being low pressure to suck air in and i know the wind in that area is technically rotating the other way, but that giant maelstrom area has been planned from the beginning. I guess you could say the overwhelming cyclone kind of overpowers dominant winds and the corialis affect to justify it.. Anyway, wondering how the rest of it looks.

I also did some work on the ocean currents, they're all mostly connected now and in a big global cycle, no loops without an exit or entrance now. I tried to use as much realism as I could, but kind of took some artistic license at the end to finish it off. Hopefully it works okay. You might also notice I changed some landmasses which opened up a couple of new currents.

My next step (following Pixies tutorial along with Geoffs) would be to map out rain patterns, but I seem to need a decent heightmap figured out in order to do that accurately. So I suppose that is my next step!

Akubra
06-01-2014, 04:29 AM
Hi AlexSchacher, I'm following this thread because I'm working on a similar project. Your maps may not completely "work" (some ocean currents seem to cross), but from a visual point they are great! I especially like the little arrows you use for the ocean currents. OK if I nick that idea for my maps? ;)

Cheers - Akubra

Pixie
06-01-2014, 10:04 AM
I really like these two maps and I think you are well underway to get a very realistic preview.. Seems to me I need to work on finishing that tutorial some time soon, so we can work out the temperature ranges as well.

AlexSchacher
06-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Hi AlexSchacher, I'm following this thread because I'm working on a similar project. Your maps may not completely "work" (some ocean currents seem to cross), but from a visual point they are great! I especially like the little arrows you use for the ocean currents. OK if I nick that idea for my maps? ;)

Cheers - Akubra

Hey Akubra, I am also following your project (aswell as others like groovey and ascanius) but I haven't had much to say since I decided to skip past the plate tectonics, but I look forward to you all getting into currents and stuff. And of course you can use the arrows idea no problem.

I really like these two maps and I think you are well underway to get a very realistic preview.. Seems to me I need to work on finishing that tutorial some time soon, so we can work out the temperature ranges as well.

Im glad to hear you like them, and dont feel rushed to continue your tutorial. I feel like it will take me quite some time to get the heightmap to where I'm happy with it (even a rough sketch). I'm having troubles figuring out how to do the heightmaps, though. I mean, Ive done heightmaps before for various other projects but its always been hard to get something that looks realistic, as real life heightmaps are very complicated. Personally, I love the heightmap that you just did on your continent, but am a bit lost on how to do something similar to what you have done. Another thing Im trying to pin down is scale, which Ill just have to look at Google Maps to try to wrap my head around I suppose. Anyway, heres a little test of what I did, and again no idea on how realistic the scale is as I havent really researched that yet.

Pixie
06-02-2014, 02:13 PM
:) AlexSachcher, at that level of detail, you will never finish.. Earth's area is 510 million sq.km, your "rectangle" is about 900 sq.km - you'd need about 600 000 of those :P

AlexSchacher
06-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Hah yep youre totally right. Ill have to zoom out. Ill probably also just settle for a simpler general heightmap for now just so i am able to figure out rain and biomes

AlexSchacher
06-05-2014, 04:41 AM
Alright, Ive just zoomed out to the resolution I was originally working on the global map. I couldn't tell you what the heights of each level are, and im not sure if what I'm doing even correctly replicates (vaguely) how land and mountains look. From looking at earth heightmaps, all you can really see are the biggest mountain ranges sticking up and thats about it. Anyway let me know what you guys think.

Ilanthar
06-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Wow, excellent color palette!

lomedhel
06-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Can I ask where this tutorial is?

AlexSchacher
06-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Wow, excellent color palette!

Thanks!

Can I ask where this tutorial is?

http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/27118-wip-sort-tutorial-climates-applying-geoffs-cookbook-detail-some.html

Pixie
06-05-2014, 07:26 PM
I second that - it's a beautiful color palette.

AlexSchacher
06-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Now Ive finished the lower half of the heightmap for one of the large continents. I havent put mountains on, but the brownish areas are where mountains would lie. Im not sure if I'm spreading out mountain ranges too evenly across the continent, whereas earth is alot more asymetrical, with much bigger flat areas. What do you guys think? Too many mountains/not enough flat sealevel areas? I like what Ive come up with, but I dont know how unrealistic looking it is.

Also, the biggest brown area will not actually be filled with mountains, but more of a high and mostly flat plateau.

lomedhel
06-07-2014, 02:48 AM
Looks great, the coloring and everything.

I havent put mountains on, but the brownish areas are where mountains would lie. Im not sure if I'm spreading out mountain ranges too evenly across the continent, whereas earth is alot more asymetrical, with much bigger flat areas. What do you guys think? Too many mountains/not enough flat sealevel areas?

I feel like there's too much mountains. It could be a feature of this world, it could be quite young and have had little erosion. I really like where the ranges lie, though. You know, when I look at this, I can't help but think of a huge pool of lava, that has been whisked and frozen. That would explain the weird/absent tectonics as well. Pondering on this, the contintents would lie where the moon has twisted off the planet... Sorry, I'm getting carried away.

Anyhow,

From looking at earth heightmaps, all you can really see are the biggest mountain ranges sticking up and thats about it. Anyway let me know what you guys think.

Maybe that's your answer. Unless those huge ranges are simply plateaus?

AlexSchacher
06-07-2014, 03:19 PM
I feel like there's too much mountains. It could be a feature of this world, it could be quite young and have had little erosion. I really like where the ranges lie, though. You know, when I look at this, I can't help but think of a huge pool of lava, that has been whisked and frozen. That would explain the weird/absent tectonics as well. Pondering on this, the contintents would lie where the moon has twisted off the planet... Sorry, I'm getting carried away.

The world is supposed to be young, yes, maybe ten thousand years old at the most. I haven't figured out what exactly yet but the world is definately created by a god/gods or something so having it be a lava world and whisked as you said and kind of frozen into stone, as if you had a stormy ocean with big dips and waves and froze it instantly in the shape that it was, i really like that idea. I also like the idea that the formations of the land physically show where the moon/moons twisted off the planet. I love both of those ideas, thanks for the input!

I think I am mostly comfortable with having a very mountainous world. It is fantasy anyway, and it makes for something a bit interesting/different than what has been done before to a certain degree.

Meshon
06-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Wow, just started checking out this thread, you have a great looking map coming. I especially like the land shapes; I immediately thought of Izanami and Izanagi churning the ocean with the Heavenly Spear to make the first land. And Japan is significantly mountainish, I don't think you have to worry about your topography. Er... geography. Ehhh, some technical term that I don't know. Height maps, I'll say.

cheers,
Meshon

AlexSchacher
06-08-2014, 04:42 PM
As I haven't really been able to figure out what elevation my heightmap represents, I decided to take a map of earth and convert it into a 10-level heightmap that I will use for reference while building my own heightmap with the same levels/colors. The heights are a pretty rough estimate, but I think it should be fine for my purposes. If anyone sees any blaring problems with the levels Ive denoted on earth, please let me know. I am aware that the sealevel is slightly lower than it should be, but like I said, this is very rough and is just to help me get a rough estimate of where my height levels will go. Also note that these levels do not correspond to the heightmaps I have recently posted, I have yet to go back and adjust those to match earths. I may have to redo some or all of my own heightmaps.

Pixie
06-10-2014, 05:45 AM
Nice looking and useful. ;) Creating a thorough heightmap like this one for an imaginary planet, though, is a huge task.

AlexSchacher
06-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Nice looking and useful. ;) Creating a thorough heightmap like this one for an imaginary planet, though, is a huge task.

Yeah I agree, it will be quite the task. But I find it enjoyable, and I really want to get indepth with every detail of every concept of this world.

Here is my first new heightmap area done, next to northern New Zealand, which I used for reference. Still haven't perfected the art yet, but I feel like its a big step up from my last few images.

One thing I realized as I was doing this, though, is that you can make out some river basins/ravines in the heightmap. I haven't done my rainfall yet, so I haven't been able to figure out where most rivers will form and won't form. But, I feel like I need a good heightmap in order to accurately predict rainfall. So its a bit of a conundrum.

AlexSchacher
06-14-2014, 02:36 AM
Okay, heres an update on the how the heightmap is going. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

ascanius
06-14-2014, 06:17 AM
I think it looks great, kudos for how it is turning out. How long did it take you to do one island and how does it look when zoomed out? What resolution are you working with? You seem to be zoomed in quite a bit and with this level of detail, wow.

Keep up the good work and good luck.

AlexSchacher
06-14-2014, 11:20 AM
I honestly have no idea how long it took to be honest, ill record my time next time i do a chunk. The resolution is 8400 x 4200 and yes i am nitpicking down to the pixel alot of the time, and zoomed in as far as my program will allow me while im workin on it.

Pixie
06-16-2014, 05:14 AM
Looks beautiful and the overall rugged-with-a-lot-of-mountain-ranges fits the weird (but good looking!) land forms you started with. Now, as you probably found out by now, doing this at a continent level (8200x4000 size is huge!) is a test to one's dedication.
I know how you go up and down a roller coaster of excitement and exhaust about the whole thing - just plough on, mate!

AlexSchacher
06-16-2014, 06:15 AM
Looks beautiful and the overall rugged-with-a-lot-of-mountain-ranges fits the weird (but good looking!) land forms you started with. Now, as you probably found out by now, doing this at a continent level (8200x4000 size is huge!) is a test to one's dedication.
I know how you go up and down a roller coaster of excitement and exhaust about the whole thing - just plough on, mate!

Thanks! And yes we will see how far I get before exhaustion starts in :)

Another update from the past couple of days, started on the northern end of one of my 3 big continents.

Might as well post a zoomed out view of the progress so far aswell.