PDA

View Full Version : Antillia

Lingon
02-06-2014, 04:16 AM
This was a personal map, made because inspiration struck and to try out a more modern style I've wanted to use for a while :)

So, Antillia is a phantom island an island that doesn't exist and never has, but still was sighted by sailors and included on maps for a long time, in this case a couple of hundred years. This map is alternate history thingy, where Antillia was real. I found a section of the Atlantic ridge that looked a little like the descriptions of Antillia, and used that for the shape. Then I drew and painted it on watercolor paper, and added the graticule, cities, borders, roads and text using G.Projector, Illustrator and Photoshop.

Thanks to (in order of appearance :P) Llannagh, Jalyha, Foremost, Ilanthar, Diamond, -Max-, Arsheesh, Lostatsea, Scoopz, Azelor, Falconius, Pixie, Bogie, Aquarits, and Sharpes, for your feedback, help and motivating comments!

- Max -
02-06-2014, 04:28 AM
Of course, some light aged effects could have been worked better on the digital parts of the process but overall that's a great map, clear, legible and pleasant.

afters
02-06-2014, 05:10 AM
I like this map style. It's somewhat similar to what I've been working on for a while, and may actually provide me some extra inspiration.

Jalyha
02-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Hooray! It turned out beautifully. It feels like a real place, now. :)

(and the "in order of appearance" thing made me feel like a movie star :o )

Azelor
02-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Simple, nice, and consistent; I like that;)

Veldehar
02-06-2014, 03:23 PM
A piece to be proud of for sure. Color and style are very nice, good clear info.

Lyandra
02-06-2014, 03:46 PM
I really like the style of this map. It looks great.

Lingon
02-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Thanks everyone, it feels great to hear it!

Llannagh
02-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Congrats from me too! As said in the WIP, it really looks convincingly like a map from the 1940's! Amazing work! I wouldn't have the patience for watercolors and such. ;)

Ilanthar
02-06-2014, 05:57 PM
haha, I'm not sure I have been of a great help... so, you're welcome for the support :D

I would have rep you if I could have. It's really an excellent and inspiring map imho.