PDA

View Full Version : Elandaria - Fantasy map commission

- Max -
02-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Hey everyone,

This poster map of the known world of Elandaria is a piece commissioned by the writer Tom Baker for his current book project. Done in Photoshop, original size 61"x23".

2014 - All rights reserved.

Hope you'll like it. As usual feel free to rate, rep or run away :)

Jalyha
02-06-2014, 01:29 PM
I'm gonna choose "run away" this time, because it's not fair you come out with a new *perfect* map every day!!! :P :P :P

Well, okay, I lied, here have some rep :o

Domino44
02-06-2014, 01:40 PM
lovely as ever.

afters
02-06-2014, 03:19 PM
This place has so much land! But I like this, the brown style feels different from your usual work, but in a definitely good way. Also, a minor thing I noticed: is it supposed to be Wayward's Simthy or is that a typo?

Veldehar
02-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Very nice, really liking the colors on this map, rustic but not completely sepia tone or b&w. Excellent piece as always.

arsheesh
02-06-2014, 04:07 PM
I love it!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Lingon
02-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Maybe I'm just imagining things… but are a lot of the place names really similar to A Song of Ice and Fire places?

Anyway, the map is beautiful (of course!). The forests are perfect for this scale.

Veldehar
02-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Maybe I'm just imagining things… but are a lot of the place names really similar to A Song of Ice and Fire places?

Anyway, the map is beautiful (of course!). The forests are perfect for this scale.

I had that knee-jerk reaction to names also, good to know I'm not alone, LOL. And I have to agree on the forests, and I like how they are subtle, understated. I really like that more each time I look at this piece.

Ilanthar
02-06-2014, 05:52 PM
Grrrr, still cannot rep you... A pity, because this is really an amazing map and show another facette of your talent! And I love big maps with a lot of lands (but it's quite obvious, I imagine...).

Bogie
02-06-2014, 06:39 PM
The style is perfect for publishing. Do you know if he is planning on just a compressed version of this map in the book or is he going to have a foldout map to do it justice?

- Max -
02-07-2014, 07:11 AM
Thanks very much guys, glad you like it :)

Also, a minor thing I noticed: is it supposed to be Wayward's Simthy or is that a typo?
The labels were checked by the client and it's not a typo ;)

Indeed, some are quite similar but I guess it's up to the writer :/

The style is perfect for publishing. Do you know if he is planning on just a compressed version of this map in the book or is he going to have a foldout map to do it justice?
This poster is just intended to be hanged on the client's wall :D Some B&W splitted regional maps are planned for the book itself.

Eilathen
02-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Wow, that's a big map :D As always, exceptional mountains! The forests are not bad, but they could use a little more omph, imo (also, i think you should make them a little bit more visible...they are too lightly colored imo).

Coastlines are nice but the continental-shapes are a bit...weird...as is their overall placement (then again, this being a commission, i don't think you could do anything about that).
As almost always with commissioned maps, i'd wish you could upload a higher res. ... i so want to go into more detail with this.

Have a Like (as usual) and i checked, i can finally rep. you again...so, have some Rep.!

Edit: Oh and what is the scale on this map? I really think mappers and commissioners should think about putting scale bars in their map...it helps so much in putting all into perspective and it can give a totally different view on a map if you know the scale of it.

GreatWhiteNorth
02-08-2014, 10:01 AM
This is a really sweet map. May I ask about your process for creating the mountains, or is it a trade secret?

- Max -
02-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Coastlines are nice but the continental-shapes are a bit...weird...as is their overall placement (then again, this being a commission, i don't think you could do anything about that).
As almost always with commissioned maps, i'd wish you could upload a higher res. ... i so want to go into more detail with this.
Edit: Oh and what is the scale on this map? I really think mappers and commissioners should think about putting scale bars in their map...it helps so much in putting all into perspective and it can give a totally different view on a map if you know the scale of it.

Thanks Eilathen :) Indeed, I had mostly freedom on refining the coastlines, not really on the continental shapes ;) There's no scale on the map, you know that clients don't always want one on their maps.

This is a really sweet map. May I ask about your process for creating the mountains, or is it a trade secret?

Thank you GWN. No trade secret here, the mountains are digitally hand-drawn on the map.

vorropohaiah
02-12-2014, 10:44 AM
gorgeous piece, though it irks me that I see maps this size (apparently very small scale, though as there's no scale bar i can't really tell) with rhumb lines rather than graticules - it makes no sense! though I'm sure that's not down to you.

- Max -
02-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Thank you! You're totaly right on this. Unfortunately, having no detailed informations on scale and whole world shape I had to deal with it. I could have tried some "fake" graticules but well...

The_Buce
02-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Awesome map! I think that the washed out colours make it seem very authentic. Brave to have so much land so close together - it invokes the feeling that continental drift is only just getting started on this planet :) Love it!

vorropohaiah
02-12-2014, 04:42 PM
I could have tried some "fake" graticules but well...

good thing you didnt! it looks much better this way and would make no sense with graticules anyway

- Max -
02-16-2014, 05:26 AM
good thing you didnt! it looks much better this way and would make no sense with graticules anyway
Hehe, that's what I thought :)

Awesome map! I think that the washed out colours make it seem very authentic. Brave to have so much land so close together - it invokes the feeling that continental drift is only just getting started on this planet :) Love it!
Thank you!

Schwarzkreuz
04-24-2014, 07:29 AM
Its simplistic in its singular elements but epic in its range of lands and continents. I always am in awe about your wellmade labeling, which breaths your map life.

- Max -
04-25-2014, 06:44 AM
Thank you SK :) Ah well you now that labeling is one of my favourite part in map making process ;)