PDA

View Full Version : City of Dallor

Carbus
02-13-2014, 05:31 PM
After 1 week of work (see the WIP thread here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/town-city-mapping/26128-wip-city-dallor.html ) I finished my second city map. Special thanks for -Max- and arsheesh who gave me some tips and positive critiques.

My objective with this map was to find my personal style. Since I entered the Guild, back in 2012, I think I learned a lot, and met some very talented and friendly people who helped me in a lot of ways.

But what I was lacking was some consistent, if you see a map from -Max-, Sapiento and Bogie you can easily say that its theirs, and that what I was looking for (at least for a city map). Im happy to say I think I got something good here, a style that might work for me!

Clercon
02-13-2014, 05:55 PM
Very nice map, I really like the colours and some of the details in the map like middle bridge with some kind of tower.
What I do miss is an area where the houses are more dense. Also some farmland around the city could have been nice. But it is a very good map and I look forward to see yur next one.

- Max -
02-13-2014, 06:12 PM
Well done Carbus! The layout is pretty cool and the colors are great. The buildings styles though could match the hand-drawn style better.

Carbus
02-13-2014, 06:57 PM
Thank you guys! Ill try to improve in the next map! Max, how do you think I could match the hand-draw? I dont think I have the skills to draw one by one and they all look similar xD Do you have any tips? Thanks!

arsheesh
02-13-2014, 07:21 PM
Lovely work on this Carbus!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Domino44
02-13-2014, 09:30 PM
That is a very nice style to choose. Lovely map!

- Max -
02-16-2014, 04:31 AM
Max, how do you think I could match the hand-draw? I dont think I have the skills to draw one by one and they all look similar xD Do you have any tips? Thanks!
Hmm you could probably have several options, maybe use a different brush with subtle irregularities to draw the buildings outlining (the brush could also be less sharp than the one you use or I would blurry the outlines a bit, for now it looks a bit pixellated/digital made). I would also get rid off the bevel/inner shadow or whatever you used on the buildings and rather use hand-drawn shading.

Ilanthar
02-16-2014, 09:27 AM
OK... I just leave a comment on the WIP and see now it was partially useless, because you've already improved what I noticed. :D

Very fine map, I really love the work on the grounds/river and colors.

KartoKilt
03-02-2014, 11:49 PM
I really like how you did the elevations, especially along the river. The walls and streets are a little to straight for my taste. Did I miss what program you did this in? And "Brothel Hill"? a brilliant name for a brilliant use of topography. Perhaps called "hoo'er hill" by the local alliterates?

flocko
03-03-2014, 02:16 AM
This was done in a very nice style. The little details in the water are wonderful and the overall texture is quite pleasant. I look forward to more.

rollsomedice
03-24-2014, 09:28 AM
Hey Carbus,

I stumbled over this map when looking for inspiration for a city about which I was writing an RPG adventure. The adventure's all about a deperate defense against an enemie's siege in a basically undefendable city and your Dallor's city layout was just perfect for my purpose. Now that I've written the adventure I was thinking to include a map of the city I'm writing about. Since I'm not very proficient in map making (yet), I wanted to ask you if I could get your permission to use your map before I despair over making a city map on my own. :)

If you are considering, here are some details: I would change the city's name and (if you'd allow) its legend to my purpose. I'd refer to you as the creator of the original map, would indicate all changes I made and would add a link leading to your original map of Dallor. The adventure would be submitted to a non-commercial adventure contest on drachenzwinge.de, which is a website for online roleplaying via Google Hangout or TS, and later uploaded on the site where it can then be downloaded for free. In terms of CC-licenses, this would be a CC BY-NC 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/).

I'm looking forward to hearing from you and won't be upset at all if you don't want any of this - that's why I'm asking. :)

torstan
03-29-2014, 04:11 PM
Beautiful work. I love the use of the stylistic elements!