PDA

View Full Version : The Crown Colonies

Gamerprinter
02-14-2014, 04:19 AM
For an experiment I'm going to do a map in an older style, mostly hand-drawn - and for the first time in a while, no bevels. The mountains and hills are part of my Old West Hand-Drawn Map Object set, so were created quite a while ago, but works for the needs of this map.

This is the Crown Colonies, something comparable to the New World east coast.

GP

Gamerprinter
02-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Next, I've created all the rivers and forests. I might add some swamp/marsh area and that should complete the landforms. Following that I begin the labeling process, which will dominate this map. Moving right along.

GP

Falconius
02-14-2014, 03:43 PM
You are making quick work of this!

The forest border looks a little too clear and defined though when in comparison to the drawn landform lines around it.

Gamerprinter
02-14-2014, 04:05 PM
No problem, I plan to change the color and give it a 40% transparency, and maybe a fractal cloud transparency as well - that's what I did to the coastal edge line.

Gamerprinter
02-15-2014, 02:56 AM
Initial labeling on the way, I want to imply Britain, even borrow Roman Britain place names, then made up sovereign based names to represent each colony and the major town in each. I also want to include native American sounding rivers, forest, mountain names, along with some English sounding ones (I don't want to copy actual locations, except in a few instances). The Strathclyde reference is a knod to my Scottish ancestors. Oh, I plan to design a cartouche around the Map Title.

Any name suggestions would be helpful.

GP

Gamerprinter
02-15-2014, 11:16 AM
I plan to change "Charlotta" to "Carlotia", however, I am not happy with "Edwardia", but I wanted to pay homage to a different monarch than George or Elizabeth, so it would be like "Georgia" or "Virginia", but not. Edward, Henry, and many other possibilities come to mind, but I'm unsure how to make those names pertain to a colony. Any better suggestions?

Jalyha
02-15-2014, 11:22 AM
Old standards? Like Edwardston, Jamestown, etc?

Edit: I LOVE Carlotia as a name :)

Gamerprinter
02-15-2014, 11:29 AM
Not against the old standards, but I'm looking for names for Colonies, not towns, burgs, or hams. I'll be sure to include many "tons", "burgs" and "hams" for town names and colonial capitals though.

Jalyha
02-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Ohhhh Right, I get that you want names for the bigger areas, yes?

What about -land

Like Mary-land is maryland and such.

And New- something...

Not real creative, but it does give a few names for fillers if you need them.

RothgirFellhall
02-15-2014, 11:54 AM
And New- something...

Oo oo what about New Hennary for Henry???

jbgibson
02-15-2014, 03:19 PM
Maybe use the numeric instead of the name itself? Octavia to honor Henry the Eighth, then some city being Henryville or the like? Or use a number bigger than eight, to emphasize you have a variant of England involved?

Or evoke entire dynasties - Lancastria? Stuart? Plantaginet is a bit awkward, but there would be NO doubt what you were referring to! Plantaginetion, Plantaginettia, Plantagincourt. Planterra Nova. Plantain, where the banana trees grow. On third thought Stuart is a nice recognizable name, and doesn't have any major real place-names already using it.

I like both your scheme and the execution - nice!

sangi39
02-15-2014, 04:33 PM
Oo oo what about New Hennary for Henry???

Or Henricia (from Latin "Henricus") or Aenrichia (from Latin "Aenrichus").

For Edward, the Latin equivalent apparently, is Eduardus, so Eduardia would follow from Georgia, etc. James would get J/Iacobia or J/Iacomia, Charles > Carolia, William > Gulielmia or Vilhelmia, etc.

As others have said, you could use their regnal number as a base, e.g. "Octavia", or a contemporary (positive) epithet, e.g. "Virginia".

There's always colony names based on calqued names as well, i.e. literal translations of the name. "Edward", for example, means something along the lines of "Guardian of Wealth" or "Prosperous Protector". From there you could take, "protector" as as have Patronia.

Gamerprinter
02-15-2014, 04:50 PM
I prefer Henricia over Eduardia, so I'll go that way. Thanks for the suggestion, Sangi39!

GP

Jalyha
02-15-2014, 04:56 PM
*sigh*

All better suggestions than mine. :P

(Why does "Lancastria" make me think GoT? :P )

sangi39
02-15-2014, 07:47 PM
*sigh*

All better suggestions than mine. :P

(Why does "Lancastria" make me think GoT? :P )

Lannisters in GOT? And I have the same problem :P

Gamerprinter
02-15-2014, 08:22 PM
Almost finished. A bit more labeling to do. I changed the colony names, and I created a cartouche for the map title. Still need compass rose, scale bar, a hand-drawn ship, besides the labeling. Oh I need to make symbols for towns and villages, and add an ornate border.

Scoopz
02-15-2014, 09:16 PM
BETHLAND... Is a place I want to live in.

Gamerprinter
02-16-2014, 04:29 AM
Only things left to do are compass rose, scale bar, ornate border, maybe ship illustration. Opted to not do rhumb lines. Just about done.

- Max -
02-16-2014, 04:41 AM
A few comments on this map: The thing that bother me a bit is that you have some different outlining and opacity sizes on the mountains, whichs break the consistency of those elements. As for the rivers, you can see the forests through their transparency which doesn't make no sense. Rivers should either be plain color or hidden by the forests. Last neatpicks, I would use kerning on "Royal Cartographer" to avoid some bad overlapping with the cartouche frame and take care on river mouths (some don't join the coastlines, sove overlap on the coastline and a bit on the sea)

Gamerprinter
02-16-2014, 04:58 AM
A few comments on this map: The thing that bother me a bit is that you have some different outlining and opacity sizes on the mountains, whichs break the consistency of those elements. As for the rivers, you can see the forests through their transparency which doesn't make no sense. Rivers should either be plain color or hidden by the forests. Last neatpicks, I would use kerning on "Royal Cartographer" to avoid some bad overlapping with the cartouche frame and take care on river mouths (some don't join the coastlines, sove overlap on the coastline and a bit on the sea)

The mountain transparencies were an easy fix - I lessened the transparency by 50%.

As for the rivers being seen through the forest. I have seen historic maps that did the same thing. The emphasis is on the showing the course of the rivers, not an attempt to create realistic trees over the river. I see no problem with it - it makes perfect sense to me.

The Royal Cartographer wasn't a kerning issue, I had a problem not having the font available between two computers. One I did most of the design, but my older PC has a wider range of fonts so I did the labeling in that one. I tried to convert to curves all the text, but missed the "Royal Cartographer", and it converted to a different font with a different kerning setting. Fixed that.

Gamerprinter
02-17-2014, 12:29 AM
I'm calling this map done! I decided not to do an ornate border, there should be enough illustrative quality in the map itself without going overboard. For a compass rose, I opted to combine rhumb lines, and used Latin abbreviated cardinal directions: North - Borealis (Bor), South - Australis (Aus), East - Orientalis (Ori), and West - Occidentalis (Occ). For scale I chose Pretannic miles and that can mean whatever you want.

ravells
02-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Well done! I really like hand drawn cartouche. Not too keen on the colour of the mountain symbols (too dark/heavy for me) and the nodes on the rivers could use some cleaning up in places (I have the exact same issues with Serif Drawplus). I really like the overall look and feel of it though - it's got character.

Gamerprinter
02-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Thanks, Ravs. Kind of funny, I darkened up those mountain symbols because Max thought they were too light... I tried cleaning up the nodes as I was labeling around them, but didn't get them all, I see.

For the cartouche, I drew the left half only, with the crown on top. Then I duplicated the half cartouche, flipped it horizontally, lined up both crowns to match, then deleted the crown from the right side. I drew the native warrior and the colonist separately then combined them with the cartouche. It was a fun experiment, that I'm sure to do again some time.

ravells
02-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Well, given the choice, I would take Max's advice over mine any day.