PDA

View Full Version : Tower at the end of the world WIP

madcowchef
02-14-2014, 10:15 PM
Here is my current project, I tried to save some along the way as I think progressions are interesting to see. I got a good ways into it over the last of day and a half, but now I am stuck on the style of the rocky hills/outcroppings whatever you wish to call them. I studied some other folks maps to get ideas on the styles out there and am considering a couple. The map itself will be of a rocking outcropping on the edge of the world (the water drops off the edge there and this sticks out beyond it). It will feature several locations as well as an outsized tower that will dominate the second raised plateau. I gave the three styles I'm considering numbers. I like all of them to an extent but fear that #1 might look out of scale as these aren't massive mountains, #2 has an angularity I'm not sure matches the rest of the features of the map, and #3 is OK but I find it less eye catching than the others. If none of these styles work I'd love to be pointed to some other suggestions. Thanks for all the great criticism on my projects.

Conceptualization

Landiness

Clifftastic

Yarg I'm stuck

Domino44
02-14-2014, 10:48 PM
I don't think I have the answer for your mountains but I really like what you have so far, I really like the layout of your map. But as far as your mountains go I'm not a big fan of any of the ones you have on those maps. Your concept is so cool though! :)

madcowchef
02-15-2014, 01:12 AM
Hmm I did a second batch. I currently favor #7, the general complexity seems best in line for the rest of it.

Azelor
02-15-2014, 01:22 AM
Does it supposed to look hellish ?

I like 7 better but 1 was also good. 5 and 6 remind me of tentacles...

Diamond
02-15-2014, 02:23 AM
I'm with Azelor; I like 7 best, but 1 has something cool going on too.

Scoopz
02-15-2014, 10:53 AM
I like 5 the best, seems more EVIL to me. And lets be honest, if it's frozen over it's probably evil. Right?

Jalyha
02-15-2014, 11:56 AM
I liked 5 and 6 for the reasons scoopz gave :P (*5 better, but 6 more interesting)

And 1, 2, and 7 for anything not-evil :P

2 is really cool, but I think more cliff/plateau-y than mountain-y, so I'd probably say, if I had to pick just one I'd say 7

Domino44
02-15-2014, 01:04 PM
I like 7 for this map but I really like 5 but just not for this map. :)

madcowchef
02-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Main shapes are defined, now I need to go back and do all the shading and highlights (still undecided on how to do all that). Then its on to the map elements such as paths, scale, compass, and key. Still messing around a lot with the colors and textures for the fill areas, but I don't think I'll know what I want till the shading is completed.

Lingon
02-19-2014, 04:51 AM
Wow, brilliant idea! Looking forward to the shaded version, it will make it even more striking :)

arsheesh
02-19-2014, 04:56 AM
Ooh, nifty. Already looking very cool. Excited to see more.

cheers,
-arsheesh

Ilanthar
02-19-2014, 06:24 AM
Awesome idea and map so far! It makes me think about Discworld in a certain way (the good drawing style probably) :D

Are your falls made of water? It feels a bit "made of mud" imho.

madcowchef
02-19-2014, 06:03 PM
Shading is done. Not sure about the water and sky colors but the rest look about right to me, might have to tinker with those two later. For the map elements I'm trying to decide who is drawing this map. How did they acquire familiarity with the location? Were they part of an expedition that landed, did they become stranded there for a time, are they putting this together from ancient sources and modern accounts? I'm leaning towards the last one then I can be alternately vague and detailed as I like but I'm not really decided yet.

arsheesh
02-19-2014, 06:12 PM
This looks fantastic!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

seredemia
02-19-2014, 06:13 PM
Oh my goodness, this is beautiful! I am in love with the idea of this map! Maybe add some white highlights to the water to give it some more shine? Only thing that bugs me as well is that the border around the stars look a bit pixel-y (couldn't think of a better word than pixel-y...) to me. I think the rest of the map overall has fairly smooth lines, it's just the stars that seem a bit jagged. But that's just me nitpicking as it's not something you notice unless you look at the map in full size.

Aside from that, I think everything is fine. I really love how you've drawn the cliffs and the jagged lines. The colours are all lovely as well, especially the sky. The purple works really well with all that water.

- Max -
02-19-2014, 06:21 PM
Great stuff!

Bogie
02-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Fantastic map, Great idea!

Scoopz
02-19-2014, 09:10 PM
Ya, wow. This is a really cool map, invokes memories of my childhood really.

madcowchef
02-20-2014, 02:53 PM
Map elements are in. I tried a grid but it didn't really seem to make sense, ditto scale as I'm going with the assumption that the map was drawn from mostly verbal sources and crude hand drawn maps so the map maker wouldn't really know exact sizes (though I assume that didn't stop them from inventing a great deal of the rest of the material when they felt justified). Thanks for catching those stars Seredemia, they were in the back ground enough that I'd somewhat forgotten them, I got the pixelization down a bit. Anything that grates on the eyes in it or is incongruous with the rest of the elements?

Domino44
02-20-2014, 03:00 PM
I think it looks amazing!

seredemia
02-20-2014, 03:02 PM
I REALLY LIKE IT. I can't really see anything wrong that catches my eye now so YAY. I do like how the text at the corner makes this map somewhat more eerie. I've been trying to think of any criticism to help you with but I can't come up with anything so... yeah. Good job so far! I also like how you've upped the saturation from your last post. The map looks prettier with brighter colours now ^__^

Lingon
02-20-2014, 03:42 PM
Looks fantastic! Really good color choices! The only thing I think could be improved is the linework; with the soft colors and textures, it looks too sharp and too dark in my opinion. A very small blur and a more brown hue would make it fit better, I think!

Jalyha
02-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Ummmm I believe number 9 should be "presumed" ? :P

Ilanthar
02-21-2014, 06:12 AM
Really excellent! I like very much the expeditions. You got a fertile mind, clearly.

Nathan
02-21-2014, 09:30 AM
The impression is really well done ! Nice one.
The final map will be stunning !

RedKettle
03-06-2014, 04:56 AM
I can't decide whether I like this map better without a solid border around it. I have to imagine it would be the overwhelming expansiveness of ocean and empty sky that would define the place to the people exploring. The border almost does too good a job of collecting the view. Of course, my brain is also hinting that this would make a very cool tapestry for some reason, so my opinions may be...peculiar.

Very cool map! Like the subject and color!

Diamond
03-07-2014, 02:42 AM
Looking really awesome!

vorropohaiah
03-07-2014, 05:35 AM
very cool indeed. a bit pixellated, though that might be due to the resolution of the upload.

flocko
03-07-2014, 06:41 AM
Pretty cool looking!

fabio p
03-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Wow, you're dreamy style here in this map is really something that does not go unnoticed! Great job (and great wip thread)!

Micah Doulos
03-07-2014, 09:53 AM
What happened in the Silent Forest that cost Govoya her crew!?? I'm very curious.

Llannagh
03-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Man, I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread yet! Looked and drooled at it quite often already! Really great stuff!

Mb.
05-30-2014, 06:20 PM
I've just signed up here, so it's probably totally uncool to actually *criticise* anyone's work. Is it uncool? Will you totally hate me? In the hopes that my criticism might actually be useful, I'll give it a shot…

Firstly, I *love* this map. The idea, the line quality, the 3Dishness, all of it rocks. Totally. Except the shading. Actually, that's not even right, I love the shading too. Mostly.

The only place I'd really think about again is the shading in the "void", i.e. the whole purplish background of the left side of the map. The colour's fine, but the feeling of shadow around the spit of land gives the void a flat feeling, as if it is a plain that the land is casting a shadow on. I'm assuming the concept is actually that it's just void, a bg open nothingness that the land juts out into, but the gradient from darker near the land out to lighter further away flattens the space out completely.

Just as a little thing to try which might give the void a voidier feeling: give the whole background a gradient from lighter purple at the top to darker at the bottom, and no shading that follows the "coastline" at all.

Like I said above, I really love this extremely original and creative and beautifully drawn map. Which is why the void shading makes me itch. If you can see what I mean, maybe try what I said and see what it does. And keep up the awesome work!

madcowchef
05-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Criticism is always welcome. I need all the help I can get. Your advice is excellent as well. That said I probably won't revisit this one as its been a bit, but I'll get some mileage out of your insight all the same. I don't utilize large scale gradients enough and its something that can really help with depth. Thanks!