PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

Edward Protera
07-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Hey there, everyone! I'm new (obviously), and I haven't really checked out the forum much, yet... anyway, I should tell you a bit about me.

I've been into making maps since elementary school. When I got bored in class, I'd always grab 8x14 sheets of paper and draw landmasses on them. Real mapmaking and worldbuilding has been a perpetual problem, though, because I get stuck with the details, especially the ones early on. I suppose that's what I'm here for. To learn how to make a world that feels natural, and to get past those sticky parts.

*ahem* The short version: I like mapmaking and worldbuilding, but I don't know how to do it correctly. I'm here to learn how.

So... yeah! Sorry if this is rambly, I tend to do that when I'm tired. Anyway, I look forward to being a part of this community, and hope you don't mind my presence in it. ^.^

ravells
07-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Not rambly at all! Welcome to the Guild, Edward! May your stay be a long and happy one!

Ascension
07-30-2008, 05:45 PM
You should see me ramble, I think I actually invent new forms of grammar and punctuation, not to mention mixing tenses and dangling my participles. I'd better stop or I'm likely to be here for the next half hour...welcome aboard.

Edward Protera
07-30-2008, 07:04 PM
*grins* I think I like you, Ascension. You seem silly enough to associate with me. :3

NeonKnight
07-30-2008, 07:28 PM
HEHEH, Rambling, my wife is always telling me "ENOUGH, I get it already, why do you have to go on and on and on...."

Anyway, welcome to the guild.

jfrazierjr
07-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Welcome to the guild Edward Protera! Probably the first place to start is to let us know if you are using any software or just hand drawn. If using software, what are you using? Start posting up some samples and we will be happy to help you along. If you are using some type of software to create or modify your maps after the fact, check out the tutorials. Most of the tutorials have the software used to create the tut in the thread title.

Joe

jfrazierjr
07-30-2008, 07:43 PM
HEHEH, Rambling, my wife is always telling me "ENOUGH, I get it already, why do you have to go on and on and on...."

Anyway, welcome to the guild.

if we were close to each other geographically, I would say we have the same wife!:P

Edward Protera
07-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Welcome to the guild Edward Protera! Probably the first place to start is to let us know if you are using any software or just hand drawn. If using software, what are you using? Start posting up some samples and we will be happy to help you along. If you are using some type of software to create or modify your maps after the fact, check out the tutorials. Most of the tutorials have the software used to create the tut in the thread title.

Joe

Digital media are my thing... I'm actually quite new to mapping, but I recently started drawing again. I use a tablet for anything that involves hand-drawing; as for programs, I have ArtRage (http://www.artrage.com/) for sketching; it's built to emulate real-life media like pencils, oil paints, et cetera... for anything else, I use either Adobe Photoshop CS3 or Illustrator CS3.

I've already begun working with dhalsimrocks' using tectonic plates to create a map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2238) tutorial, actually... but, newb that I am, I'm not sure where to post my work.

EDIT: Seems I overlooked an entire set of boards. I think I know where to post my work now. XD

EDIT EDIT: I posted a reeeeeallly rudimentary bit of work here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=28091). Hopefully it'll improve a bit as I do more work.

The Cartographist
07-31-2008, 04:53 AM
Welcome, and Hello.

You're going to love it here.

RobA
07-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi Edward!

And I see you are over 5 posts. Now you should have access to PM's. Congratulations and welcome to the community.

(message to people with less than 5 posts...) See that... IT'S NOT THAT HARD! :P :P :P

-Rob A>

Steel General
08-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Welcome aboard!

PokealypseNow
08-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Well, as one newbie to another almost-newbie, I figured I should say hello, too. ;)