PDA

View Full Version : The Island of Thild

arsheesh
02-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Hi all. I'm starting up a new campaign which called for a new map. I decided that I wanted to run a homebrew hex-crawl adventure. The campaign begins with the party shipwrecked on the largest of the Thildian islands pictured below. Since the style of this adventure is very much inspired by the old TSR and Judges Guild modules, I decided to try out a new sketchy B&W style for this map (which also gave me a chance to work with my new tablet). Anyway, I'll be posting session recaps and the full hex adventure pdf over at my blog (http://arsphantasia.wordpress.com/) in the coming weeks in case anyone is interested.

The WIP can be found here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/26043-thild-wip.html). As always feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Jalyha
02-17-2014, 06:42 PM
I love it, arsheesh, it turned out great :)

TheHoarseWhisperer
02-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Such a simple and uncluttered map, but really pleasing to look at. Well done.

THW

- Max -
02-17-2014, 07:04 PM
An excellent map, simple and very pleasant! Aaargh can't rep you :(

Diamond
02-17-2014, 07:40 PM
That is great work, my friend. The wave/lines at the coasts really help complete it - there was something missing in the WIP images you posted, and I think that was it.

arsheesh
02-17-2014, 08:00 PM
I love it, arsheesh, it turned out great :)

Thanks Jalyha!

Such a simple and uncluttered map, but really pleasing to look at. Well done.

THW

Thanks THW. I was considering adding labels but given the purpose of the map I thought it wasn't necessary - and I think I prefer it uncluttered.

An excellent map, simple and very pleasant! Aaargh can't rep you :(

Thanks Max, normally it's me saying that to you, nice change of pace :D.

That is great work, my friend. The wave/lines at the coasts really help complete it - there was something missing in the WIP images you posted, and I think that was it.

Thanks Diamond. I agree, the WIP did feel like it was lacking something, and I think the wave lines helped.

Nathan
02-18-2014, 04:53 AM
Nice one arsheesh.
I like the design made of levels of gray.

Lingon
02-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Squid! Awesome :D A really lovely map.

The_Buce
02-18-2014, 07:41 PM
I love the artistry of this map, you really get the feeling of being able to step right into the landscape. Really great :)

arsheesh
02-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Thanks again for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Veldehar
02-19-2014, 09:49 PM
The octopus is great fun, LOL. Helluva map, for a simple b&w.

arsheesh
02-20-2014, 07:29 PM
Thanks Veldehar, I had a lot of fun with the Octopus.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

madcowchef
02-20-2014, 07:44 PM
This map is clearly showing off that simplicity takes more talent than detail sometimes. Really like how clean the whole thing is.

Domino44
02-20-2014, 09:56 PM
I love this map, from the Octopus to the simplistic beauty of the rest of the map. Just awesome!

Bogie
02-21-2014, 01:39 AM
Great map Arsheesh, The octopus is amazing and I love the Knot-ical border!

Sharpes
02-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Lovely map Arsheesh. Very crisp look to it and I really like those houses and fort. The octopus is a great addition too. :) Will certainly rep this!

arsheesh
02-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Thanks again everyone for all the great feedback, I really appreciate it.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Larb
02-24-2014, 02:21 AM
This map has a lot of character that I've been unsure what to say. I've been drawing more stuff lately just using a greyscale palette so it also stood out for that too. But it makes me want to try something similar.

Beoner
02-25-2014, 08:54 AM
Now here is a map I don't get tired of looking at. It is simple, but still makes me think on all the possible adventures that can go on there. I bet your players really appreciated the map.

Oh, and the "octopus compass rose" was genious. Obviously repped Arsheesh, another great work :)

arsheesh
02-25-2014, 05:06 PM
This map has a lot of character that I've been unsure what to say. I've been drawing more stuff lately just using a greyscale palette so it also stood out for that too. But it makes me want to try something similar.

It is very flattering to here that, especially coming from you Larb :)

Now here is a map I don't get tired of looking at. It is simple, but still makes me think on all the possible adventures that can go on there. I bet your players really appreciated the map.

Oh, and the "octopus compass rose" was genious. Obviously repped Arsheesh, another great work :)

Why thank you kindly Beoner, the octopus was loads of fun.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Micah Doulos
02-25-2014, 05:15 PM
Do you draw this by hand and then scan? Or how did you draw it? Very beautiful map. Well done!

arsheesh
02-26-2014, 01:23 AM
Do you draw this by hand and then scan? Or how did you draw it? Very beautiful map. Well done!

Thanks Micah, I drew this with a Wacom tablet.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

vorropohaiah
02-26-2014, 03:56 AM
whats the resolution on that as the line are remarkably crisp!

arsheesh
02-26-2014, 04:09 AM
whats the resolution on that as the line are remarkably crisp!

This is a full res version of the map. Some of the line-work however was done at a 200% zoom level.

vorropohaiah
02-26-2014, 07:51 AM
wow. so what size brush it that? must be tiny!

arsheesh
02-27-2014, 03:12 PM
wow. so what size brush it that? must be tiny!

Oops, sorry I missed your followup question. The brush size varied between 2-4px, depending upon what I was working on at the time.