PDA

View Full Version : February 2014 Entry: Guildpark Zoo

TheHoarseWhisperer
02-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Howdy all.

I thought I'd try and enter this month's challenge (it's such an interesting concept), although I don't know whether I'll be able to finish in time.

I had a few ideas about what map to create. At first, I was thinking about mapping sections of the brain (the area responsible for mountain ranges, the section involved in labels and naming, and the large bit at the back for determining river areas). It's a clever idea, but I quickly lost interest.

Then I thought of doing a factory/town floorplan, showing the production line (challenges), quality assurance (WIP threads), recruitment office (member introductions), and hospital for the insane (city mapping), all under the watchful eye of the dictatorial overseers (community leaders). I had wanted to do this map in a Soviet propaganda poster style, but it proved too challenging, so instead I went to plan C:

Guildpark Zoo (credit should be given to SJS who suggested a challenge to map a theme park or zoo), a nature park dedicated to the protection of cartographers of all varieties. I won't say too much about the zoo (hopefully, the finished map will be able to do that), but I will mention that it is based in part on this (http://www.shelfappeal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/london_zoo_leaflet.jpg/) map of London Zoo from 1949.

### Latest WIP ###

Jalyha
02-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Oh gosh that looks like so much fun!

I love it already. I wish I could see the london zoo map that inspired(?) you, but it says 404 not found :? Do you have another link/copy?

Oh and I love the "diet of Rep" thing that's so funny :P

SJS
02-17-2014, 10:36 PM
Of course I like this!

TheHoarseWhisperer
02-18-2014, 12:52 AM
Thanks. Here's the link (hope it works this time): http://www.shelfappeal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/london_zoo_leaflet.jpg

It's a bit unfortunate that the image is on its side, but I'll correct that for the next update. Also I hope people can read my rather poor handwriting.

Comments and suggestions are welcome, as always.

THW

Jalyha
02-18-2014, 01:27 AM
yep it worked :)

And it's cute ^.^ But I'm sure yours will be better ;)

And your handwriting is... legible :P

Xeonicus
02-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Awww, neat. I love the idea of a zoo. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

flocko
02-19-2014, 03:52 PM
This is a great start. I love it when you can see the little things that make the buildings unique, like this. I'm looking forward to seeing it filled in.

TheHoarseWhisperer
02-21-2014, 10:40 PM
Here's the latest update. The drawing is finished. Up next, labels and, if time permits, colour.

Thoughts?

THW

### Latest WIP ###

Domino44
02-21-2014, 10:55 PM
Such a cool concept and a beautiful map. I cannot wait to see this with color and labels!

arsheesh
02-21-2014, 11:23 PM
That is just fantastic!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

flocko
02-22-2014, 02:08 AM
Beautiful! And very friendly looking. I'd like to walk around there.

ravells
02-22-2014, 02:37 PM
Superb! Really imaginative take on the subject and I love the execution as well.

TheHoarseWhisperer
02-24-2014, 12:33 AM
Thanks for those comments.

I've added the latest WIP update. Call it the first draft on the labels. I'll have to do it again to make it a bit clearer, and apologies once again for the handwriting--I wanted it to look professionally handwritten, but legibility and labels aren't my strong suit.

As always, comments and suggestions, questions and requests, all are welcome.

Oh, and a quick caveat. I am sure this map, and its content, will be taken in the spirit intended (namely, irreverent but respectful), but just in case anyone thinks I'm being rude about members of the CG, I'm not (at least, not deliberately). I doubt anyone will be concerned about it, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

THW

### Latest WIP ###

arsheesh
02-24-2014, 02:22 AM
I just love this idea! And I get my very own aviary!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

ravells
02-24-2014, 04:14 AM
Looking brilliant! I love the idea of using the compasses as sculptures.

Ilanthar
02-24-2014, 04:52 AM
Well, I can't do anything else but like and support ;) !

And, I had a good laugh at reading it :D

Raptori
02-24-2014, 05:06 AM
The text in the most recent wip is a bit illegible for me. Not because of the handwriting (which is nice and clear), but because the noise all over the place gets in the way a little. I think it might be coming from the lines on the paper, have you tried using the cut out filter or something to get rid of it?

I love your map style, it's a treat to look at all the details :)

Are you planning to colour this one in or leave it black & white?

Azelor
02-24-2014, 11:49 AM
I like the improvements but I agree with Raptori, the older version was much cleaner and easier to read.

Carbus
02-24-2014, 12:09 PM
Awesome map! Can I be the Safari Bus? (CarBUS) hahaha just kidding! Can't wait to see it finished!

seredemia
02-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Oh my god, this is hilarious! I especially love all the descriptions about the cartographers, hehe. Although, my only criticism is that the font makes it hard to read the text sometimes, but other than that, I really like this map :)

SJS
02-24-2014, 04:26 PM
This is really looking great! I want to go to there!

TheHoarseWhisperer
02-25-2014, 06:51 PM
Okay, I think this map is finished now.

First, thanks to the comments I didn't respond to before.

The text has been redone (a few minor changes to content, but mostly the same as before). It should be easier to read now.

The map has been coloured (which is pretty obvious, really).

Carbus, surely you should be in a cage, not driving the bus :)

For those of you who want to visit Guildpark Zoo, admission is one vote ;)

THW

### Latest WIP ###

arsheesh
02-25-2014, 06:55 PM
Very nice entry!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

flocko
02-25-2014, 11:13 PM
This is great!

Bogie
02-26-2014, 12:16 AM
Excellent entry, a lot of fun! BUT, No One Puts Bogie in an Enclosure!!! I shall break free and seek vengeance on those who.. Oh look! A Shiny Thing!!!!!

TheHoarseWhisperer
02-26-2014, 01:47 AM
Yours is the best enclosure. It has its own cave, and a rope thing, so visitors can watch you swinging through the air :)

Diamond
03-01-2014, 12:47 AM
The Schwarzkreuz enclosure is brilliant. :D I don't know that giving me a cookie cafe is a wise idea though...

vorropohaiah
03-01-2014, 12:51 AM
I have an enclosure! I like the Vorro blurb - intricate nests called Elydens, indeed :) im enjoying the flattery in this month's contest! pity i caught on too late, would have liked trying something out

- Max -
03-01-2014, 06:45 AM
Brilliant and very funny! My only nitpcik is the outlining work/laebels low quality but I guess it's some scan issue. Anyway, that's sure a great entry :)

Talondor
03-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Most original concept.

ravells
03-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Absolutely Brilliant!!!! Funny, imaginative and brilliantly executed.

TheHoarseWhisperer
03-02-2014, 12:17 AM
Thanks for those comments guys. I really enjoyed putting all the cartographers I know and respect into cages. It was also fun to think up some animal-like descriptions. I just think it is a pity that I ran out of ideas for others. Also, I'm sure there are many other notable members of CG who I missed out on, but fear not, the Guildpark Zoo may one day expand to the other side of the river, and there will be plenty of space for more cartographers.

@Max, the illegibility of the labels and outlining is partly a scan issue, but it also comes down to my handwriting, drawing style, and a technique I thought would work but didn't in the end. I clearly need to give more thought to that side of things.

THW