PDA

View Full Version : Being asked to work for free

ravells
02-19-2014, 06:27 PM
This made me smile.

Warning: contains rude language (and a rude logo)

I Wish I Worked With This Man...He's Hilarious (http://www.tickld.com/x/i-wish-i-worked-with-this-manhes-hilarious)

arsheesh
02-19-2014, 07:09 PM
That was hilarious!

Falconius
02-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Oh the standard polite send off at the end was priceless! Especially with the response.

Bogie
02-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Chuckle Chuckle!

Jacktannery
02-19-2014, 07:27 PM
Even funnier than that. Thanks for the link.

ThatGuy
02-24-2014, 11:43 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Gamerprinter
02-24-2014, 11:59 AM
I've had only one bad map commission experience where a client waited almost 6 months before paying me for the work I've done, but not before asking for changes to the map. I told him simply, you normally need to pay me upon completion of the map. I would have provided the changes he asked for free, if he'd already paid. Since he had not, I insisted on getting the original pay first, then charging him additional fees for the changes. Again, if he'd paid on time, I'd have done the extra at no cost. However, because of the delay, he was not entitled to any breaks. I may have been curt in my response, but I was not rude, and don't find being rude to be the best response to most client interactions, no matter how badly they treated me. I tend to get more results with sugar, than vinegar.

If a publisher ever asks to work for FREE, based on his belief that his product will eventually sell, and will be paying you based possible royalties. I say, "No way."

A given product may or may not sell, that is not my concern. If my skills are needed to produce freelance work, then I will be paid a pre-agreed upon price at the completion of work. If the product is a super success, I don't feel I am entitled for extra payment (if a publisher pays me extra, I'm fine with that). However, I will not wait to be paid at some future date based on the 'pie in the sky' possibility that it will be successful. I don't do work as an investment towards a project. If you want services from me, I will be paid the full amount at completion, or I won't do the work at all.

This is the primary reason, that I am mostly creating maps for my own published projects to avoid any of the possible payment hassles dealing with companies other than me.

Raptori
02-24-2014, 12:24 PM
27b/6 is awesome, thanks for reminding me of that! My personal fave is the Missing Missy (http://27bslash6.com/missy.html) one :)

Edit: Gamerprinter's post reminded me of a story my dad told me about some work he did a few decades ago.

My dad is a classical musician. Everyone in the orchestra he worked for was offered two alternate contracts for recording the music for a prospective project: one in which they were paid a set amount up front, one in which they were paid a fraction of a percentage in royalties. To the last person, they were almost certain that this project would be unsuccessful. Their music being their only means of income, they couldn't afford to gamble on that kind of thing and so chose the up front payment.

The project was a film, titled Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. The royalties contract included a percentage of all subsequent income from this and any other films in the series.

You can imagine how my dad feels about that contract choice now!

ravells
02-24-2014, 06:21 PM
Ouch!!! That must have hurt - it's a great story though. I hope he got a few pints out of it.

Ilanthar
02-25-2014, 07:23 AM
Funny email correspondence ! Reminds me of a few things at work...

schattentanz
02-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Walter Thiele, Inventor of the Lachsack (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lachsack), held a contest to record the laughter for the Lachsack.
The winner was asked, whether he would take 1000 DEM or 10 Pfennig per unit sold. He took the 1000 DEM ...

BTT: In the past I asked artists to work for free. Some (very few, though) did the job. I guess, it's just a question of what to expect: If you expect free work to be done when its done, with no pressure behind it, everything is fine. For the artist (who may use your job as a distraction from a current project or whatelse) as well as for you, since you receive free work.

But that's just my 2 Cents ...

Kind regards,
Kai

Raptori
02-25-2014, 10:13 AM
Walter Thiele, Inventor of the Lachsack (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lachsack), held a contest to record the laughter for the Lachsack.
The winner was asked, whether he would take 1000 DEM or 10 Pfennig per unit sold. He took the 1000 DEM ...

BTT: In the past I asked artists to work for free. Some (very few, though) did the job. I guess, it's just a question of what to expect: If you expect free work to be done when its done, with no pressure behind it, everything is fine. For the artist (who may use your job as a distraction from a current project or whatelse) as well as for you, since you receive free work.

But that's just my 2 Cents ...

Kind regards,
Kai

Yah I agree - I just finished making a website for a charity run by a friend in NZ. I managed to fit in the logo design a few days after he first asked for it, but he then had to wait a further six months before I had time to even *start* the website. As long as it's relaxed and friendly I'm fine with it - at the very least it's something nice for my portfolio, and an excuse to chat with some friends!

grinast
03-04-2014, 07:45 AM
Hahaha!! :D

That was hilarious!!

Tracker
03-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Hello:
Before I became a program manager for a publisher, I wrote technical, sci-fi and fantasy documents as welll as maps and diagrams for several different publishers, tech companies and gaming companies. I learned the hard way to be careful. One company wanted to see samples of my work. No problem. I sent them images in their genre. I was told that they were nice, but they were going with the work of someone else. Three months later at an international trade show I walked by their booth and there on the cover of their latest book was my image I sent them. My signature was still on it. Lets just say that the out of court settlement paid for the next semester of collage and my car insurance for the rest of the year. Now when I send samples to a company the world Sample in big red letters is across the image as one layer. There are other safeguards I take as well.
Tracker

ravells
03-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Hi Tracker,

What are technical sci-fi and fantasy documents? You have me curious!

Schwarzkreuz
03-11-2014, 01:58 AM
Thinks like this happens. But still bothersome.