PDA

View Full Version : February/March Lite Challenge: Map a Fairy Tale or Children's Story

Bogie
02-19-2014, 06:44 PM
Hey everyone! This will be my first attempt at running one of the Challenges, I don't know what I'm doing so be patient.

This challenge was suggested by Jalyha, and it sounds very interesting. Your mission is to create a map that is based on a fairytale or children's storybook. It could be a map of Pocahontas' village, Treasure Island or Wendy's house. The theme and type of map is entirely up to you, but each entry MUST be based on a Fairytale or children's book.

Now, a word of CAUTION. This is a theme that could easily cross the copyright line. Your map MUST BE ORIGINAL. You cannot make a map based on a map or image from a book or even worse a movie. Even if you drew it from scratch, if you used their image as a basis for yours you have crossed the line. You can use a written or verbal description as the basis of your map, but not an image. To be safe, pick a topic where there is no map or picture already out there, or make yours so different that there is no resemblance at all. The whole point of this is to be ORIGINAL and CREATIVE isn't it.
I do not want to be the copyright police so please choose wisely. ( And to be safe, I would stay away from Disney stuff altogether, I hear they get nasty. )

Please do remember to title each thread: February/March 2014 Lite Challenge: < your title here >

Also remember to preface each image you want to show up in the thumbnail scraper with: ### Latest WIP ### (If you don't, your map won't show up for the voters at voting time, which might hurt your chances. )

The challenge will end on or about the 14th of March, after which we'll have four days of voting. The winner of this month's challenge will receive, appropriately enough, a circular silver compass, demonstrating his or her all-around coolness.

Bogie
02-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Also to be fair, this is a link to the original thread started by Jalyha where there is a lot of discussion on this topic ( and others )

http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapping-challenge-suggestions/26245-suggestion-map-fairy-tale.html

SJS
02-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Map approves.

Jalyha
02-19-2014, 07:50 PM
I'm the WINNER!!! :D

Okay, going to slip quietly back to my padded room now...

jbgibson
02-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Wikipedia has a crazy amount of fairy tale info (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fairy_tales) - most include a synopsis. So if nothing mappable occurs to you, take a look.

I'll note that nothing says the fairy tale HAS to predate the 19th of February, 2014. I for one would view favorably a map based on a self-written tale, IF said tale was fully detailed in the thread :-). Some people might then tend to judge the tale as well as the map, but a quick look through that massive list of fairy tales in Wikipedia will make obvious that some make NO SENSE as far as plot or characterization...

Scoopz
02-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Dammit, I'm a doctor, not a writer Kirk!

Jalyha
02-19-2014, 08:47 PM
I'll note that nothing says the fairy tale HAS to predate the 19th of February, 2014. I for one would view favorably a map based on a self-written tale, IF said tale was fully detailed in the thread :-)....

Once upon a time there was a beautiful princess named Jalyha.

She wanted to be a cartographer. Unfortunately she was very bad at mapping.

One day she entered a contest and everyone laughed at her scribbles....

But what NOONE KNEW was that there was a fairy godmother helping the princess. She waved her wand over the map... and nothing happened.

But when the time for judging came, all anyone saw was what was most important to them.

The river police saw perfect rivers and streams.

The battlemappers saw detailed rooms and... stuff.. inside the buildings... the shadow warriors saw flawless depictions of height and depth...

And try though they might to vote for other maps, they were all unable to resist voting for princess Jalyha.

And she won.

And... she lived happily ever after (until the next challenge when her fairy godmother ditched her!)

VOTE if you believe in fairies! Vote if you BELIEVE!!!

The End...

(Like that?)

Azelor
02-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Once upon a time there was a beautiful princess named Jalyha.

And try though they might to vote for other maps, they were all unable to resist voting for princess Jalyha.

And she won.

And... she lived happily ever after (until the next challenge when her fairy godmother ditched her!)

VOTE if you believe in fairies! Vote if you BELIEVE!!!

The End...

(Like that?)

Are you mixing fairy tale and politics? Jalyha is a princess that got elected by the subjects of the kingdom...

Jalyha
02-19-2014, 09:34 PM
She was BORN a princess (her mommy said so) ... doesn't mean she got to rule the democracy :P

Azelor
02-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Jalyha, ll monarch are elected. Some by the people, others by God.

Or sometime they elect themselves and they try to convince people that God chose them.

TheHoarseWhisperer
02-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Just a quick question: I assume the phrase 'fairytale' includes old folk stories from around the world?

This is an interesting challenge and I'm hoping to enter. Anyone read the books by Cornelia Funke (eg Reckless, Inkheart)? She's good at giving old fairytales/folk stories an interesting twist. Might be some good ideas in there.

THW

Bogie
02-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Yes, old folk stories are good subject matter.

Jalyha
02-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Jalyha, ll monarch are elected. Some by the people, others by God.

Or sometime they elect themselves and they try to convince people that God chose them.

shhhh don't tell people :o

schattentanz
02-20-2014, 02:56 AM
On a sidenote:
"Fairy Tale" translates in German into "Märchen", which is the diminutive of "Mahr".
The term "Mahr" describes a sinister creature of ancient folklore. That creature enters your house through your keyhole at night, resting on your body as you sleep inducing all kinds of Horrors into your dreams.
Another, probably better known name of the Mahr is "Nachtalb" (night elf).

The English language still knows this fellow: the nightmare.

This has nothing to do with cartography at all - but language is just soooooo interesting :)

Kind regards,
Kai

Jalyha
02-20-2014, 09:58 AM
OMG that's so cool.

You shoud totally map the story/world of the Nachtalb.

schattentanz
02-26-2014, 02:23 AM
Actually, there is no such thing as the one story as there is one for, say, Rapunzel et al.
The Nachtmahr is more or less a creature of folklore, such as a dwarf or a troll.

And to be honest: as interesting and fascinating the entries here are, I'm totally lacking inspiration for this contest :(
(and probably also sufficient skill to stand a chance against the others..)

seredemia
03-02-2014, 07:23 AM
I'm dropping out of the challenge due to personal problems. I'm not entirely sure how to get rid of my entry here though. I don't think deleting the thread is possible?? D:

Domino44
03-02-2014, 10:39 AM
I'm dropping out of the challenge due to personal problems. I'm not entirely sure how to get rid of my entry here though. I don't think deleting the thread is possible?? D:

I'm sad to hear that your map was looking so great. :(

Bogie
03-05-2014, 12:57 PM

I deleted it for you. I hope your real life challenges resolve for you and you can return to mapping soon.

Diamond
03-05-2014, 01:13 PM
That's a shame, Seredemia; I really liked what you had so far. Hope everything shakes out for you in real life.

ravells
03-05-2014, 03:37 PM
On a sidenote:
"Fairy Tale" translates in German into "Märchen", which is the diminutive of "Mahr".
The term "Mahr" describes a sinister creature of ancient folklore. That creature enters your house through your keyhole at night, resting on your body as you sleep inducing all kinds of Horrors into your dreams.

This has nothing to do with cartography at all - but language is just soooooo interesting :)

Kind regards,
Kai

That is really interesting and makes a lot of sense when one considers that the original version of fairy tales were pretty bloody, gory, earthy affairs. I remember when I was in my thirties and Rumplestilskin happened to be on the television. I remarked to my mother how odd it was that he wanted the girl's first born child (what would a dwarf want with a small child?). My mum's very words, 'Has your expensive eduction taught you nothing? When the girl ran out of things to give him, she gave him the only thing she had left - her virginity.'

I think in the original version of Cinderella one of the ugly sisters chops off her toes so she can put the slipper on and when the prince finds out how they tried to cheat them, they were forced to wear red hot iron shoes until they danced themselves to death.

So yeah, the Fairytale / Nightmare crossover makes a lot of sense!

ravells
03-05-2014, 03:43 PM
On a sidenote:

Kind regards,
Kai

That is really interesting and makes a lot of sense when one considers that the original version of fairy tales were pretty bloody, gory, earthy affairs. I remember when I was in my thirties and Rumplestilskin happened to be on the television. I remarked to my mother how odd it was that he wanted the girl's first born child (what would a dwarf want with a small child?). My mum's very words, 'Has your expensive eduction taught you nothing? When the girl ran out of things to give him, she gave him the only thing she had left - her virginity.'

I think in the original version of Cinderella one of the ugly sisters chops off her toes so she can put the slipper on and when the prince finds out how they tried to cheat them, they were forced to wear red hot iron shoes until they danced themselves to death.

So yeah, the Fairytale / Nightmare crossover makes a lot of sense!

Edit: Yeah, found this: Warning - Gruesome reading which ruin your favourite fairytales.
Top 10 Gruesome Fairy Tale Origins - Listverse (http://listverse.com/2009/01/06/9-gruesome-fairy-tale-origins/)

madcowchef
03-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Little red riding hood has some older versions even worse than those mentioned. The most gruesome of all is one in which the wolf represents the devil. When little red gets there he gives her wine, which is her grandmothers blood, and food which is her flesh. He then tells her to take off her clothes and get in bed with him (he is imitating her grandmother and "wants to keep warm"). The act represents both bestiality and incest, and the eating and along with the eating and drinking of her grandmothers flesh and blood represent the completion of the black mass. The devil then devours her and her soul is dragged off to hell. Clearly not a path you want to stray from. Then you give your kid a kiss and the forehead and send them off to bed right?

ravells
03-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Cheerful lot, our ancestors. Somebody should do a 'dark fairytale' entry.

madcowchef
03-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Don't look at me. I refuse to start from scratch.

Bogie
03-12-2014, 01:02 AM
OK everyone, we have some great entries going on here!

Just a reminder. The contest ends Friday night. I can't put an exact time on it as I don't know how long it will take me to figure out how to do this. Most likely about midnight Eastern Daylight Savings Time. ( Planning on Friday night, but I might not get things worked out until Saturday.)

So finish up soon and get your final changes in!

Thanks for playing!

Bogie
03-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Last warning, I will be shutting it down late tonight. Get your final versions posted today.

Great job everyone lots of nice entries.