PDA

View Full Version : February/March 2014 Light Challenge<The Ordinary Princess>

Domino44
02-20-2014, 11:36 AM
So because I was lacking inspiration for the map I am currently working on and the fact that this challenge was such a cool one I decided to try it. This is the first time I have done any of the month challenges, I hope every one likes it. :)

I am doing a map for the book 'The Ordinary Princess' by M. M. Kaye, it's a fantastic but sadly underrated fairy tale about a young princess named Amethyst but everyone calls her Amy. When Amy was a baby she was cursed/blessed by her fairy godmother to be simply Ordinary. She isn't like her sisters who are all fair with long golden hair and complexions of a rose petal. As she grows up her complexion is rough and her hair mousey brown. After she is unable to attract a suitable husband she goes out on her own and becomes a kitchen maid in a neighboring kingdom (Ambergeldar) where she makes friends with a charming young man named Peregrine.

For this map I wanted to do something very soft. I am also trying out a few new things for this map. Some of the element in this map will be directly out of the book but other things are only mentioned in by the book. :)

###Latest WIP###

Bogie
02-20-2014, 11:40 AM
Nice border

seredemia
02-20-2014, 11:45 AM
I like the border so far as well :) And that book sounds really good, I may have to check it out some time. GOOD LUCK ON THIS CHALLENGE :D

Jalyha
02-20-2014, 12:04 PM
Looks great so far, and I think it's a great story to work from!

I hope you win... WAIT WHAT AM I SAYING? D:

Ah well... how about... I hope everyone has fun :P

PS: Your map kinda matches my avatar :o

Azelor
02-20-2014, 12:48 PM
It look good so far but is it just me or your title look squeezed?

Lingon
02-20-2014, 03:50 PM
I agree with Azelor, the title looks too tall for its width… I like the font choice, it's very suitable for the theme, but it'd look better somewhere around 80% height, I think. If that is the original height of the font, that is.

Otherwise, looking good so far :)

Domino44
02-20-2014, 09:52 PM
Thanks everyone, the encouragement is appreciated. :)

I worked on the title. I hope it looks better.

###Latest WIP###

Domino44
02-22-2014, 12:19 AM
I started working on the forest, I like it but I know it can be better. Thoughts?

###Latest WIP###

madcowchef
02-22-2014, 12:54 AM
Those mountains looks so creamy soft I want to sleep on them. The main thing that doesn't work for me on the forest is the trunks, the eveness and similarity almost make them look more like a raised plateau rather than a forest, though I like the subtle light and dark on the top.

Gamerprinter
02-22-2014, 02:28 AM
The forests look flat on top, and the presentation of the 'trunks' seem lacking, somehow.

Why not try Tolkien styled forests. Here's a link to an old map of mine that uses what I call Tolkien style forests, I called the Slave Trader's Map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/7450-slave-traders-map.html). These weren't brushes, I actually drew that little forest entirely by hand, tree by tree. Although this style of forest is completely different from yours, perhaps you'll want to maintain the simplicity of your style, but pair up your verticle lines closer to appear as wider trunks, then vary the space between trunks.

Jalyha
02-22-2014, 12:02 PM
:P I like GP's suggestion about the tree trunks

Also trying to figure out if that river is intentional!! :P

But it looks so sweet and yummy I don't really care about the trees or the river. It makes me think of cotton candy! :P

Domino44
02-22-2014, 12:37 PM
Those mountains looks so creamy soft I want to sleep on them. The main thing that doesn't work for me on the forest is the trunks, the eveness and similarity almost make them look more like a raised plateau rather than a forest, though I like the subtle light and dark on the top.

I hope that creamy soft mountains are a good thing. :)

:P I like GP's suggestion about the tree trunks

Also trying to figure out if that river is intentional!! :P

But it looks so sweet and yummy I don't really care about the trees or the river. It makes me think of cotton candy! :P

I don't know what you mean by the river being intentional… I'm glad it looks yummy though :)

Now to work on the forest...

Jalyha
02-22-2014, 01:10 PM
It comes down from the mountains and splits into two... isn't that a big no-no for rivers?

I was wondering if that was in the story, or if you'd done it because of the comment in the suggestion thread about splitting rivers being a fairytale, or if you'd done it accidentally :P

Domino44
02-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Dang it your right… realistic rivers are my nemeses… I'll fix it.

Lingon
02-22-2014, 04:40 PM
The title looks much better now :)

I like your icons and forests, and I like the soft mountains, but the sharp outlines on the first two and the lack of outline on the third clashes, in my opinion.

Domino44
02-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Thanks Lingon! I was thinking about adding a little bit of a sharper outline on the mountains so they flow with the rest of the map better.

Domino44
02-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Here is an update. I tried the more Tolkien style forest but I didn't like the way it turned out so I decided just to improve upon the forest's I already had. I added another forest a few more icons and labels. :)

###Latest WIP###

Gamerprinter
02-25-2014, 03:13 PM
While I still think the top of your forest is too flat, I do like the improved trunks lines on the forest edge. One other thing you might try is to put a jittery edge to the forest instead of a long smooth line. Still what you have is an improvement of what you had before.

arsheesh
02-25-2014, 05:12 PM
I see what GP is saying, but personally the flat forest tops don't bother me, I think they look cute and stylized. I also really like your castles and forts, and the font was a nice choice too. However, the mountains seem not to suit the style of the map. They are hazy and undefined, whereas your other map elements are all very clear.

fabio p
02-26-2014, 07:26 AM
Maybe I would add a bit of texture on the green landmass; actually it feels a little too plain. Also I too think that the mountains are not consistent with the other features of the map.

Domino44
02-27-2014, 10:18 AM
I worked on the mountains to try and make them a bit sharper. I will work on adding a bit of texture to the map as well and I also have a few more icons to add.

###Latest WIP###

madcowchef
02-27-2014, 10:54 AM
Coming along nicely. Maybe its just my monitor but the hills near the pool at the bottom are hard to make out.

arsheesh
02-27-2014, 03:21 PM
The mountains look much better to my eye.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Domino44
02-27-2014, 11:39 PM
Thanks to both of you, I was thinking about working on those hills a bit more anyway, if I have time I will try and work on them.

Domino44
03-01-2014, 12:07 AM
I added a compass rose as well as two more icons. I put some more hills in, their scattered around a little, I just to see what thy looked like but I'm still going to work on them.

###Latest WIP###

madcowchef
03-01-2014, 12:24 AM
I like the lining on the compass rose, especially the inner section where the color cuts out one side of the lines.

Domino44
03-02-2014, 11:14 PM
Thanks! I changed the hills and added them throughout the map.

###Latest WIP###

Bogie
03-03-2014, 12:50 AM
Looking good Domino44!

The_Buce
03-04-2014, 07:18 PM
This looks really nice! I don't know if it was intentional or not but I think you have a typo - it's 'inspiration', not 'insperation' :) ( I hope you don't mind me having pointed that out!)

Domino44
03-05-2014, 10:28 AM
I will fix that thanks for pointing it out!

Domino44
03-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Okay so I fixed the little typo, and I added a dragon on dragon tower, let me know what you think of it! :)

###Latest WIP###

madcowchef
03-07-2014, 01:43 PM
The wing looks great on the dragon the the placement of the tail is good, but the rear of the dragon's body seems a bit off. That might just be the ability to zoom in to close talking though, as it looks great from normal viewing sizes. Definitely a nice addition, I like the way it creates a nice diagonal line of blue along with the river and the compass.

Domino44
03-07-2014, 10:57 PM
this any better one the dragon's body?

### Latest WIP ###

madcowchef
03-07-2014, 11:01 PM
Yup that did it for me. Really like the edge of the dragons wing, the folding is perfect and the shading helps bring it out.

Domino44
03-08-2014, 11:15 PM
Thanks madcowchef! So I added a few more little details.

### Latest WIP ###

The_Buce
03-14-2014, 01:23 PM
This is really cool - I like the colour pallet you've chosen, it's very clean

Domino44
03-14-2014, 08:12 PM
This is really cool - I like the colour pallet you've chosen, it's very clean

Thanks! I tried to make it similar to the style of the book itself. The 90's print not the most resent, the 90's print has a soft pink cover. :)

madcowchef
03-14-2014, 08:33 PM
It takes real (insert gender here) to be willing to use pink!

Domino44
03-14-2014, 09:47 PM
It takes real (insert gender here) to be willing to use pink!

Yes I am a girl, but I would normally stray away from using pink. I have never been one of those pink kind of girls, I don't think I own any pink clothes. But I liked the effect it had with the map and it's connection to the fairytale itself.

madcowchef
03-15-2014, 02:48 AM
Pink and blue did a gender association switch around the turn of the previous century anyhow. Why limit your pallette if it works for the piece? Looks great!