PDA

View Full Version : February/March 2014 Lite Challenge: Story Mapping a Fairytale

madcowchef
02-20-2014, 02:46 PM
OK I'll throw my hat in the ring on this one. I'm going to take it in a different direction than the others I've seen so far. I'm going to map out a fairy tale like a story map, showing the order the elements of the story occur in, and setting a story or two on my map. Trust me it will make sense when you see it. First thing is to make a list of common fairy tale elements. This is what I have so far:

Fair maiden, Princess, Queens, Kings, Princes, Fool, Three Brothers

Talking Animals, Old Couple, Fairy god mothers,

Witch, Evil Step family, Giants, Trolls

Home, Castles, Balls,Disguises, Magic Food

Cruel Labor, Curse, Happily Ever After, Treasure, Lost, Fitting End, Fitting Punishment, Lies, Attempted Murder, Dead Suitors

Jalyha
02-20-2014, 02:56 PM
oh yaayyyy I think that will be fun to watch ^.^

Here, have a random image I have from... somewhere? in my computer.

Prolly won't help, but seemed vaguely related...

seredemia
02-20-2014, 03:02 PM
This looks interesting! Looking forward to see how you pull this off. I also really like that dead suitors part...

Domino44
02-20-2014, 03:26 PM
sounds like a really interesting idea!

madcowchef
02-20-2014, 04:03 PM
Crude Start. Need to make my land form and then go back and begin detailing increasingly smaller areas. Aslo I hope no one looks at the lands of evil folk and says "hey look I can see my house from here".

### Latest WIP ###

seredemia
02-20-2014, 04:16 PM
*Looks at land of bad folk*

HEY LOOK. I CAN SEE MY HOUSE FROM HERE.

......Hehe. Sorry. Couldn't help it. Anyway, I like the layout of this so far. The names you chose should make this map fun to look at. And... is that food?? Did you add food to the map??? 8D

Jalyha
02-20-2014, 04:47 PM
Ahhhh I see what you're doing ^.^

Awesome idea!

madcowchef
02-20-2014, 06:08 PM
I think I have enough to start the actual terrain from here and add labels as I go and they occur to me. Some areas certainly need some more ideas to fill them out more completely.

### Latest WIP ###

Domino44
02-20-2014, 09:00 PM
I love the land shape, and it's such a cool idea...

Bogie
02-21-2014, 12:47 AM
This will be fun to watch

schattentanz
02-21-2014, 12:52 AM
Someone has read too much xkcd ...

madcowchef
02-21-2014, 01:16 AM
Probably true Schattentanz but sadly that person isn't me. But I'd love a link if its related!

I see a lot of people using the fancy stamp tool technique so I thought this was as good a time as any to give it a go. So I whipped up some trees figuring I would probably need different sets for different areas but doing just some relatively happy looking ones to start with. I feel a bit incompetent at the actual stamping part which I'm still working out the best way to do. Here's my first tree set:

On an unrelated note, I want you all to fear Pharaoh Gummy-Dragon master of my continent:

schattentanz
02-24-2014, 12:45 AM
Ok, so it's me then .. I can live with that :)

I was referring to the older map: https://xkcd.com/256/ as well as to the newer one: xkcd: Online Communities 2 (http://xkcd.com/802/)

;)

seredemia
02-24-2014, 01:03 AM
Those trees look AWESOME! I probably should make stamps of my own instead of slaving away and colouring each one... And please tell me you're keeping your map as that. It's a work of art.

Raptori
02-24-2014, 04:15 AM
Nice idea, loving all the different areas!

On xkcd: wouldn't it be awesome to make a village map from this point of view: xkcd: Velociraptors (http://xkcd.com/87/)

madcowchef
02-24-2014, 01:23 PM
I have jammed my head full (it doesn't hold much) of tutorials on using the stamp tool. I think someone who knows what they are doing should make a tutorial on what works and what doesn't for good stamps. Having done so I've completed the mountains and laid down some of the base terrain. Still a lot of land types to go, but the cartoony character of the map is beginning to take form. I keep thinking of more common character types for fairy tales so I might need to go back and revise some. Not sure if I want to do swamps or forests next. I have a need for plenty of both. Had to scrape my initial trees as though cute they did not make for good stamping, so its back to the drawing board having learned something new there. Watching other peoples maps is easily as fun as making my own with this challenge, I'm very excited to see how they turn out.

### Latest WIP ###

seredemia
02-24-2014, 02:08 PM
AAAAAH, it's looking good so far!! Loving the little details here like that cute cottage near the north and that dragon peeping out of that cave. The mountains are wonderfully coloured as well :D

flocko
02-24-2014, 02:47 PM
The mountains look great! I'm liking this cartoony style. Between the details and the names I expect this map will be a lot of fun to look over when you're done.

Cliffs of clever ruses :) heheh

Micah Doulos
02-24-2014, 02:48 PM
Haha. Nice map!

arsheesh
02-24-2014, 03:53 PM
I love the hand-drawn elements!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

SJS
02-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Love your style. Fun map.

madcowchef
02-25-2014, 12:09 AM
Added the majority of forest elements, though I haven't detailed the background trees or added their trunks yet. Couple more forest elements then onto swamps and deserts I think.

### LATEST WIP ###

Bogie
02-25-2014, 12:37 AM
The mountains look great!

The_Buce
02-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Were you looking at maps of Westeros when you made this? ;) Only kidding! This looks awesome! The little details are my favourite part - they really bring it to life!

Xeonicus
02-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Wow, your map is looking gorgeous. It's very "fairytale"-esque.

madcowchef
02-26-2014, 12:00 AM
OK 70% of the hand drawn objects are finished though still need to detail the background forests. Then on to swamps and deserts. Finally to labels, lots and lots of labels.

schattentanz
02-26-2014, 01:26 AM
This is awesome!

I like all those little details. In think, they make the map look as if drawn by some kind of fairy with a knack for maps :)

Kind regards,
Kai

fabio p
02-26-2014, 06:21 AM
Wow I'm really impressed and I do love your small, hand drawn features and the overall style of the map.
Aside this, I hope you're planning at least a border on this map. As it is, it is already great in my opinion; but if you have the time to work on a consistent border and legend and/or similar things, I think this map would definitely stand out.

Ilanthar
02-26-2014, 10:20 AM
You got excellent drawn elements! It gives a lot of "cachet" to the map imho.

madcowchef
02-27-2014, 01:42 AM
Definitely need to put in some firm mapping elements like a good border and key in the same style, but I'm a bit out from finishing the basic layout still and have to get the labeling done. I'd hoped to get the background trees shaded and highlighted this evening but I thought of too many other little things to waste time on so they get their lining but no highlights or shadows yet. Unless there is some element I can't live without I am done with the hand drawn images for it. Need to do some hand lining on the trails and on the water section but I have to work out the appearance I want out of those first.

### LATEST WIP ###

arsheesh
02-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Very fine job on the hand-drawn elements of this map! I think more work could be done with the coloring though. The color transitions (e.g. between the mountains and plains and between the sea shore and plains) seem a bit stark to me. I think this could be improved through blending and adding some more subtle shades. It also strikes me that the way in which you've displayed the roads doesn't quite fit with the hand-drawn style of the rest of the map. I would suggest that you hand draw the roads, either by drawing in dirt and rocks or coblestone and or simply by adding hand drawn patches off grass along the perimeter of the road. All in all the this is looking very nice.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

madcowchef
02-27-2014, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes the roads are going to get some lining as is the water. I don't have a great solution for the transitions between colors yet but definitely needs to happen to keep with the look, even if its just a more smudgy style of blending to keep with the style of light and shadow on the rest of the map. I'd love some idea if anyone has any. The cartoony details got away from me a bit as I originally was going to make the map mostly about funny labels and the like but the theme developed so I went with it. I still need to find a font I like too. One of those projects that keeps expanding exponentially.

madcowchef
02-27-2014, 10:33 PM
Arsheesh clearly works for a company that produces medical devices related to carpal tunnel syndrome, which is to say I followed his advice and it looks good. Rather than blending the colors between terrain I went the opposite direction and lined it.

### LATEST WIP ###

madcowchef
02-28-2014, 06:25 PM
Labels are in (someday some font will look right to me but today is not that day). Now onto the map features.

Lyandra
03-01-2014, 05:32 PM
This map is truly amazing! Love the concept. :)

arsheesh
03-01-2014, 06:00 PM
That looks much better. This is possibly one of the best Lite challenge entries I've seen. Kudos.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

madcowchef
03-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Thanks arsheesh. I feel I should post a preforum map to show how amazing the tutorials here are (which is to say how amazingly cool the people who took there own time to make them for us all are). From fugly to fantastic in 6 easy tuts. I'm 70% done with the map elements now, but I need to go back and fix the water lining and lessen the white around the text its distractingly bright.

madcowchef
03-03-2014, 04:46 PM
First story mapped, now I just need to map the second one and make any final additions and adjust the levels and such. Anything on this seem distractingly out of place or bad?

### LATEST WIP ###

Ilanthar
03-04-2014, 04:52 AM
That works very well for me!

arsheesh
03-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Wow! This is fabulous.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

- Max -
03-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Awesome stuff!

The_Buce
03-04-2014, 06:08 PM
This is just incredible! I try and find something to enjoy about every map, something to take away and apply in the future to my own work, but I just love everything about this one! Great job :D

schattentanz
03-05-2014, 01:16 AM
Seriously: I'd sooo love to hear/read the story to this tale...

Or even *gasp* play a RPG in this world :D

Kind regards,
Kai

flocko
03-06-2014, 08:10 PM
This is awesome! I can't tell you how much I love your names (and the icons that go with them)! And I love that the story travels from Serious to Nonsense. Excellent stuff!

madcowchef
03-07-2014, 06:34 PM
I'm about ready to stick a fork in this one I think. Mostly just some slight spelling and path corrections over the previous version.

### Latest WIP ###

flocko
03-07-2014, 07:21 PM
I'm having a lot harder time following the path of the story now. There are so many forks. It looks to me like one of the "The End's" doesn't have a lead in from a "Once Upon a time".

madcowchef
03-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Hmm You're right I missed the connection. Should I go back to a single story format or just try to keep my paths farther apart and double check all my connection notes?

madcowchef
03-07-2014, 08:01 PM
I could map them in different colors too I suppose, if that would help keep them appart.

Raptori
03-07-2014, 08:44 PM
I could map them in different colors too I suppose, if that would help keep them appart.

I was about to suggest that, should make it a lot clearer :)

Bogie
03-08-2014, 10:09 AM
One word: Brilliant!

flocko
03-08-2014, 01:27 PM
I think two colors would help. But It might also help if the stories were continuous paths instead of branching. I can see that getting cluttered though. I'm sure you'll figure out what works best. I'm looking forward to it :)

madcowchef
03-08-2014, 01:55 PM
OK I think this is the final one, unless its not.

### Latest WIP ###

flocko
03-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Looks good!

I'm still not entirely clear on what the story elements are. My thought is that they're parts of the story in a narrative sense but not in a geographic sense like the main path.

Azelor
03-08-2014, 05:29 PM
OK I think this is the final one, unless its not.

I always tell that to myself too. I don't see what could be improved or added.

Flocko: I think there is a bunch of secondary quests

fabio p
03-10-2014, 06:55 AM
I think you did a fantastic job.
Beware, there are some typos; I spotted “childern” instead of children, “careles” instead of “careless” , “bargin” instead of “bargain”, “Christain” instead of “Christian”.

ravells
03-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Incredibly beautiful map!!! This one is going to be hard to beat IMO. I found another typo: 'Dire Straits' instead of 'Dire Straights'.

madcowchef
03-10-2014, 03:19 PM
I clearly need a better editor than my cat. Thanks for all the corrections! Aren't straits the name for the land feature? Like strait of Gibraltar?

ravells
03-10-2014, 03:51 PM
A strait is a channel of water that joins two larger bodies of water.

madcowchef
03-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Yes that's the one I'm looking for. I intended to imply the lower edge of the Nation of Nursery Rhymes was not far off, thus creating a straits between the two land masses and the larger bodies of water on either side. Perhaps I should put the tip of it down, and remove the arrow in favor of labling it directly?

madcowchef
03-10-2014, 07:43 PM
Again Again! Yet more of my complete-inability-to-spell based corrections and a couple of minor changes near the dire straits and compass which looked a little cramped to me.

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
03-11-2014, 05:16 AM
:) The straights of Story's End is still misspelled. :) ... but I didn't find any more.

I forgot to mention in my last post: I love the border and my favourite play on words is the forks in the road.

Brilliant work!

fabio p
03-11-2014, 11:05 AM
Yes that's the one I'm looking for. I intended to imply the lower edge of the Nation of Nursery Rhymes was not far off, thus creating a straits between the two land masses and the larger bodies of water on either side. Perhaps I should put the tip of it down, and remove the arrow in favor of labling it directly?

I was thinking that the whole "dire straits" thing was a citation\easter egg relating to the famous rock band.....

madcowchef
03-11-2014, 12:46 PM
I'll save the all Dire Straights, Styx, Rush and other early 80's rock band reference map for a later challenge. I considered adding some Easter egg type images into the border but couldn't come up with anything subtle enough not to catch the eye immediately. This here is a subtle map...

madcowchef
03-12-2014, 04:18 PM
More minor spelling corrections. Sir Good Spelling is not appearing in this picture.

### Latest WIP ###

Domino44
03-12-2014, 04:58 PM
This is a wonderful map. Great job even with a few spelling mistakes. I'm awful at spelling as well and the spell checkers in this place have been very nice about correcting me.

madcowchef
03-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Incredibly nice of them to take their time to do so. Then again its amazing how much time tons of the guild members take to give advice and help us all improve. I'm going to shut up now, I'm getting warm fuzzy feeling that is either sentimentality or heartburn.

fabio p
03-13-2014, 07:44 AM
I do not want to sound obsessive, but the "L" in "Swamp of Sloth" is capitalized, but should be lowercase :P.
Anyway, the correction of typos in this map is quite pleasant and not at all boring, because is a consequence of the exploration of the really well done and funny elements and details.

madcowchef
03-14-2014, 11:57 AM
OK all known gramaratingtextamacallit errors corrected, and at risk of adding a new one I have added one more location in honor of today's holiday.

### Latest WIP ###

timallen
03-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Mmmmmm....pie....