PDA

View Full Version : How North Ended up on Top of the Map

ravells
02-21-2014, 12:48 PM
Article on the subject here:

How the north ended up on top of the map | Al Jazeera America (http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2014/2/maps-cartographycolonialismnortheurocentricglobe.html)

- Max -
02-21-2014, 01:09 PM
Very interesting.

Ilanthar
02-21-2014, 01:13 PM
I just can't explain why, for me, it looks like there's more water on Earth with the south pole represented on the top of a map!

Jalyha
02-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Interesting article... with comments that make me wish I lived on a different planet :P

also FYI:(and only semi-relevant, if at all) The north star does move, and eventually, it won't be north anymore... 's just happening so slowly...

Xeonicus
02-22-2014, 11:01 PM
Fascinating... I never stopped to consider why I associated "north" as "up". I'm reminded a bit of the thread that was posted about monster mapping and how your perception of the world affects things like maps! I suppose a human culture living next to a river might draw maps where "upstream" is "up" on the map, or whatever else is important to them.

grinast
03-04-2014, 08:03 AM
A very interesting article indeed. :)

Tracker
03-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Hello:
I was on a panel at a sci-fi lit convention with several authors that had provided their publishers with maps with North not at the top of the map. It turns out that 5 out of the 6 different publishers moved the symbol for north on the maps to the top of the map without changing the orientation of the map. This cuased the authors andtheir readers a great deal of annoyance. Even well labeled maps were changed. The publishing houses believe they knew better than the authors of the works.

Tracker