PDA

View Full Version : February/March 2014 Lite Challenge: East of the Sun and West of the Moon

Xeonicus
02-22-2014, 02:06 AM
I've really been wanting to enter a lite challenge! Anywho... I've been flipping back and forth between two different ideas and finally settled on one. It's the Norwegian folktale East of the Sun and West of the Moon. I think it's a really beautiful tale. I have something started that I'm relatively happy with. I'm still a bit iffy on how I'm planning to depict things, but we'll see how it goes. :)

Jalyha
02-22-2014, 11:57 AM
What a wonderful idea :)

And it looks beautiful already!!!

Xeonicus
02-22-2014, 10:34 PM
I decided to go a slightly different direction, more of a perspective view. It's coming along pretty well. I need to start working on the land details below. The floating island has been giving me a bit of a headache. I went through a bajillion different version of it. I'd like the ocean around the floating island to have water falling off into the clouds. I'm going to have to see if I can do that... Originally, the clouds were heavier, but I couldn't see the continent below, so hohum.... I'm sorta happy with the moon area. I have to do some work on the black left side area. I want to add some stars and maybe some ambient glow from an off camera sun. Errr... and I think the border is temporary, not sure. I really like the fractal I made awhile ago, but it doesn't seem to work when tiled. I might do a new one if I get to it.

Here's the new version....

Bogie
02-25-2014, 01:45 AM
That is a cool perspective!

The_Buce
02-25-2014, 02:26 PM
That looks really cool! Can't wait to see more :D

Xeonicus
02-25-2014, 04:54 PM
Thanks guys. I think I have the terrain looking okay right now. I might experiment with it slightly, but it's close to what I wanted. I think I skipped an embossing step though... I'll have to retrace my steps. I'm going to do the terrain work on the island next (should be quick). Then all the nifty little details start!

One thing I'm unsure about... does the orientation of the floating island look correct? I know with 1 or 2 point perspectives, a floating island above the horizon would be sort of "tilted upward". That's not the case with what I did. Maybe it doesn't apply in this case and I got lucky and drew it correctly?

### WIP ###

Azelor
02-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Shouldn't the moon be black?

Xeonicus
02-25-2014, 05:25 PM
Like a "new moon"? I don't know, doesn't it change all the time, or would it be black viewed from such a perspective (since we're sort of "looking down from the heavens")?

Xeonicus
02-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Sorry for the double post! I wanted to post an update. I am a little disappointed in the water falling from the floating land mass, it doesn't look right to me but I'm not sure how to fix it yet. I'm also flipping back and forth between the slightly convex horizon vs. this straight one. Please let me know what you think....
I think the terrain looks flat on the floating island too.... I think I need to tweak the lighting.

### LATEST WIP ###

madcowchef
02-27-2014, 02:29 AM
I liked the curve better. If that's the sun behind the moon, then as the light source, the shadow on the moon would be facing the viewer unless the moon was further to the side. That said I think how you have it lighted is more interesting.

Xeonicus
02-28-2014, 01:57 AM
Yeah, I liked the curved horizon better too. I sort of reconfigured the skyline. I like how it looks. The idea is that the sun is sinking below the horizon to the west and the moon is rising to the east. I dunno if it's realistic, but I like how it looks... So... here's the new and improved version, with a few additions.... Look! Stars! Omg.... :P

### LATEST WIP ###

madcowchef
02-28-2014, 02:15 AM
Really love the perspective you've gone with for this map. If you switched the lighted side of the moon to the one facing the sun it would be good enough for goverment. Its the sun that makes the moon glow after all.

fabio p
02-28-2014, 07:19 AM
I do not know if you consider the colour of the landmasses as definitive, but the green seems to me a too emerald green and there are gray areas that I do not understand; unless these are stylistic choices, I would go for different colours.
I would also change the compass rose, as it is I don’t think it fits with the rest of the composition (or maybe it's just me, if you like it, stick with it); but consider also that, given the compass, the sun seems to be sinking to the north.

Xeonicus
02-28-2014, 10:23 AM
@madcowchef: Thanks! I'll see how that looks.

@fabio p: Yes, the landmasses are currently gray scale. I'll get to coloring them soon. Does it really look like the sun is sinking to the north? Awwww, this perspective is giving me a headache...

Thanks for the feedback guys.

madcowchef
02-28-2014, 10:44 AM
Headaches are the cost of greatness. You have the terminator line right for it setting in the west, I think its just the brighter glow under the island that makes the sun look like it might be to the north.

Lyandra
03-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Looks interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece. :)

Xeonicus
03-07-2014, 03:11 PM
I finally felt ready to post an update. I spent most of my time on terrain work. It look a lot longer than I expected. There are a few other minor changes as well. I still have a number of things to do, so expect more updates.

### Latest WIP ###

madcowchef
03-07-2014, 03:24 PM
You picked an impressively hard angle for this one, hat's off to you.

Bogie
03-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Excellent, love the colors and perspective.

Xeonicus
03-11-2014, 08:13 PM
Okay, this is ALMOST done. Realistically, I just need to finish my border, compass, and legend work. I've been tweaking the lighting a bit, but that's more obsessive than necessary (still, it might change). I have a version of this with a slight rosy tint on the far west side and a bit of green fluorescence to the north (because I love northern lights).

### Latest WIP ###

Xeonicus
03-13-2014, 07:26 PM
All done (I think). Only things I'm iffy on are the font and lighting (is it too much?). This might be it folks.

### Latest WIP ###

madcowchef
03-13-2014, 07:57 PM
Font could be less modern and more fantastic. The lighting seems fine to me. The lines between the figures seems about hmm... how do I word this... You know the classical statues with the little cherubs relieving themselves? A bit like that.

Xeonicus
03-13-2014, 08:11 PM
I might remove all the dashed lines. I wanted to convey story progression, but it seems to just clutter things up.

madcowchef
03-13-2014, 08:19 PM
I like the looks of the paths on the ground they have a meandering quality that helps convey the terrain and add interest. Its just the arial ones that seem off to me.

Xeonicus
03-13-2014, 09:30 PM
Cool cool. I made some tweaks with the fonts and paths. I thought some nordic and viking fonts might be appropriate for a Nordic fairy tale. :P I think it looks better. Your feedback is super helpful.
Now I should probably eat something....

### Latest WIP ###

madcowchef
03-13-2014, 10:50 PM
Definite improvement! For a second I thought you'd changed something about the bear. Something about the change of font made him pop more for me as well.

Bogie
03-14-2014, 02:25 AM
Looking very good! I like the bear a lot!