PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Eforion Eteros

Jobble
02-25-2014, 03:24 PM
I'm creating a world from scratch and I started with this map. It represents the chartered part of my world and its shape is slightly based on Europe, North-Africa and the Middle East. The top part is called Eforion, the part with the deserts is called Eteros.

Since this is my first worldbuilding\cartographic project I would love to hear some criticism and tips. I hope I got the rivers right!
I used Photoshop CS6.

(The map exceeded the size limit so I had to crop it)

- Jobble

Caenwyr
02-26-2014, 08:56 AM
Your mountain ranges are odd. Most real mountain ranges either run along a coast (well, actually the coast runs along the mountain range) (the Andes for example) or steer away from the coasts altogether (the Alps are a good example of that). Mountain ranges perpendicular to the coast are a very rare thing to happen in the real world. Take the Pyrenees for example: on first sight they seem to connect two coasts, but in reality they run along the northern edge of the Iberian peninsula. I can't think of any other mountain range in our world that starts perpendicular to one coastline, crosses the continent, and then ends perpendicular to another coastline.

I do like your continent shapes, however, and I'm also a big fan of you colour scheme. My compliments!

Jobble
03-01-2014, 05:52 AM
Oh I did not know that, I will get working on that! Thanks for the tip!
And thank you for the compliment, that's really nice to hear.

Jobble
03-04-2014, 06:04 AM
I have worked on the mountains and moved them mostly to the coastlines, like Caenwyr said.

madcowchef
03-04-2014, 10:19 AM
That is looking much improved. I really like the sea floor on it with the exception of the very top where it looks a bit too much like brush strokes coming off of your northern continent.