PDA

View Full Version : February Challenge Voting - Map the Guild

- Max -
03-03-2014, 07:05 PM
This month's challenge was to "map the Guild" and show a cartographic vision of the CG . The challenge started slowly but was finally filled in with awesome entries!

February Challenge Thumbs (http://www.cartographersguild.com/challenge_thumbs.php?type=regular)

Please vote for your favorite map(s), and be sure to be generous about repping those who participated in the challenge. The voting will last for 4 days and the winner will receive a golden compass, the praise, admiration and envy of his peers, and a box of well known Diamnd's cookies. May the best map win!

Larb
03-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Some very creative stuff. It's just a shame Vivi and Jalyah couldn't finish theirs.

Diamond
03-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I was really hoping to see Vivi's finished... Excellent entries this month though. I'll have to give this some thought before voting.

lostatsea
03-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Damn this is going to be very hard!! Have to think a bit on my votes !!

Bogie
03-03-2014, 10:50 PM
How do I choose? On one map I was given my own Tower Room, on the next I was given a Town, on the third I was given a whole species and not to be outdone, one named a star after me! While I cannot be bribed by such things, I don't mind if you keep trying!

eViLe_eAgLe
03-03-2014, 11:22 PM
I can't help it - i'm vain, when I saw my name on Azelors map I just couldn't help but give it to him.
That small fact aside, it's still an absolutely great map, it was tough to pick between them.

Edit: On second thought, after looking through these again this really was some tough competition, I don't know if my vote could of held up if I would of looked closer at some of them, like Diamonds and TheHoarseWhisperers. I can't give rep to diamond or Azelor due to previously repping them, but you have my congratulations.

Diamond
03-04-2014, 12:30 AM
After much thought, I decided to only give one vote, since there weren't very many entries. I had to give it to The Hoarse Whisperer, since I felt his entry showed the most imagination and humor.

...Aaaand I couldn't rep anybody except THW. Sorry guys; it's there in spirit.

TheHoarseWhisperer
03-04-2014, 01:00 AM
There are some really great maps this month. Without wanting to sound arrogant (EDIT: something in which I probably failed), I genuinely do think my zoo is one of the best, but Diamond's nudges ahead of it (and it would be unseemly to vote for myself anyway). I'd give Azelor (a very close) 3rd place, Max 4th, and Cirias 5th. It really is a pity the other two entries weren't finished. I especially liked the progress on Vivi's Khartes.

THW

Cunning Cartographer
03-04-2014, 03:23 AM
For creativity and originality I went with Diamond and TheHoarseWhisperer (whose I had, somehow, completely not even seen previously). I love -Max-' tower, the final design (plus bonus guide on his process) was amazing, I just think the idea is a little too generic in comparison to the other entries and could have been any tower for any map.

Cunning Cartographer
03-04-2014, 03:24 AM
Also your URL to the thumbs Max says they are January challenge thumbs :)

Ilanthar
03-04-2014, 05:55 AM
So many good maps with a lot of ideas! I have no other choice than vote for the three most original & well done maps imo.

fabio p
03-04-2014, 07:34 AM
The finished entries this month are all good and imaginative in a way or another. Voting everyone would be a no vote (but repped anyone I could), so I’m going to choose only one, Guildpark zoo by TheHorseWhisperer.
I usually prefer big territories, cities (by the way: no one tried a “guild city”, what a pity!), and star maps over real small places maps, but the idea of the zoo is the most original one and it’s really well executed, with humour and attention to detail. I would have worked a little bit more the yellow box on the bottom right, anyway, a really good and interesting map.

The other finished entries, in my opinion:

The mapiest place in the galaxy! By Azelor: congratulations for your star map, for what I’ve seen here, it’s your first time doing a star map and it’s a great one. Maybe some shield or symbols or some other eye candies could have been added, but the enormous work on names and descriptions it’s been for sure unforgiving and time consuming. The details you added are already really good and the map is great. Congrats!

The Guild Empire by Diamond: Diamond’s maps have the reliability or german cars and the aesthetics of the Ferrari and are produced in the USA, so who can say anything? The Left Justified Continent of Cartographia, for my mappic tastes, is maybe my favourite entry of the month, the one map I will keep looking from time to time and one of my inspiration sources when I will try a similar approach to mapping. A great entry as always, no way to be disappointed by a challenge when there’s a Diamond entry.

The Guild’s Tower by Max: What to say of an artist that can draw anything, with artistry elegance, in a blink of an eye? Max finished his challenge almost a month ago, without any effort (or at least that’s the external perception), producing a great entry as always, doing in two or three days what most people would have done, sensibly worse, in months. A great, artistic, imaginative entry, enough said.

The Forest of Guildheart by Cirias: a nice and colourful entry, maybe a bit simplistic compared to the other entries of this month; the initial idea is really good and original but as this is the main challenge, a little bit of more structure and complexity to the whole work should have been added, in my opinion. Anyway a pleasant map.

- Max -
03-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Indeed, voting is a hard choice this month! I really have to take some time to think about it.
Fabio summed it up pretty well. My choice would go for either the Guildzoo or the Guild Empire. THW's map is original and imaginative and done with humour but I can't help thinking that it should have need more work and attention on the drawing itself, on labeling and on elements like title or key box. Diamond's one, perhaps a bit less original than the zoo is artistically very nicely executed though, with a very clean job as always, especially on the labeling work.

I love -Max-' tower, the final design (plus bonus guide on his process) was amazing, I just think the idea is a little too generic in comparison to the other entries and could have been any tower for any map.
I doubt there would be as much maps on desks on any tower :D

Also your URL to the thumbs Max says they are January challenge thumbs :)
Damn :D Fixed it, thanks!

Schwarzkreuz
03-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Voted for M. and D. as they were my favorites this month.

Cirias
03-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Thanks to whoever gave my map a vote. Maybe it was out of pity, but I appreciate it all the same. Such talented artists on these boards and the competition was tough!

I cast my votes for Max and Diamond. I loved Max's The Guild's Tower for the overall style and the beautiful drawing. I like the fact it was an illustration which also worked as a map. My favourite, however, was Diamond's The Guild Empire. It was a bit more of a traditional map, but the detail that went into it was astounding and it managed to incorporate just about every element of the Guild.

Perhaps I shouldn't have entered such a Guild-centric competition as my first attempt, as I'm still somewhat of a fresh face around these parts! But I enjoyed it anyway and loved being able to take part. Good luck to everyone who entered.

Azelor
03-05-2014, 10:13 PM
I voted for Diamond and THW because I think they are the best maps but Max's Tower was very close. I would at least REP you if I could.

madcowchef
03-05-2014, 11:28 PM
I went with Azelor for being the most fun visualization of the entire guild and Diamond for being the most eye catching. TheHoarseWhisperer's is the most humorous and unique and if I was awarding points for writing he'd be the only one to receive any. Max's stunningly well executed as per usual. Cirias had a solid and unique showing for being new.

Xeonicus
03-06-2014, 12:07 AM
It's a close one this month. I'm casting my vote for the guild zoo from TheHoarseWhisperer. It was perhaps the most enjoyable to peruse. The graphical style works too.

Coyotemax
03-06-2014, 12:25 AM
And as always my post vanishes to the winds.

I'm a bit rusty on voting, I forgot to check my choices vs the thumbnails one last time before hitting submit, so I missed out on the fact that the Zoo did not get the vote i intended to place there *cry*

I have to say i liked all the entries, even the unfinished ones showed promise. I'll admit I fell for the bribery - I let out squeals of delight every time I saw my name on a map - even with my long hiatus people still remember me! that's awesome! glad I popped back in for the voting on this!!

arsheesh
03-06-2014, 01:44 AM
And as always my post vanishes to the winds.

I'm a bit rusty on voting, I forgot to check my choices vs the thumbnails one last time before hitting submit, so I missed out on the fact that the Zoo did not get the vote i intended to place there *cry*

I have to say i liked all the entries, even the unfinished ones showed promise. I'll admit I fell for the bribery - I let out squeals of delight every time I saw my name on a map - even with my long hiatus people still remember me! that's awesome! glad I popped back in for the voting on this!!

Whoa! Cyoteemax haven't seen you in ages. Hope to see your face around the forums a bit more man.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

flocko
03-06-2014, 03:49 AM
I voted on atmosphere. The maps that said to me "This is the place you go to see some maps and their mappers."

The Guild's Tower: When told to map the guild, a guild tower is kind of the obvious route. But I don't think that's a bad thing. Max's tower is a place I'd want to explore and visit the same way I explore the forum. It feels the most like how I see this place in my mind. Besides that it's just beautifully rendered.

Guildpark Zoo: This one looked like the kind of place I'd like to walk around and see the various cartographers in their natural habitats. And I love drawings of little buildings.

I'd rep you if the system would let me.

Side note: I've had
"...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."as kind of a motto ingrained in my head for a long time. Coyotemax, did you say that?

Coyotemax
03-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Side note: I've had as kind of a motto ingrained in my head for a long time. Coyotemax, did you say that?

Yeah that was me. Though to be completely accurate that quote is a paraphrase of a comment I'd made during a discussion on making things looking more hand drawn ... I can't even accurately quote myself lol

But the spirit is there, and it's more a summary of the discussion than a quote.

And yeah I still see it as an inspiration, thought I've been uninspired as of late. Gonna see if I can change that though. Part of me wishes I'd been in this challenge, my ideas are halfway between the tower and the zoo - I see more of a sprawling monastery/university setting myself. Ah well :)

eViLe_eAgLe
03-06-2014, 07:26 PM
I wish I could of joined in as well, but by the time I finally got around to thinking and found inspiration, along with garnering time available, it was already the 28th, nigh the end of the month.

Eilathen
03-07-2014, 10:36 AM
A lot of nice entries! And my name features in three of those maps (eventhough in two of them, the name is spelled wrong :D ). It was hard to decide who to give the vote...so i just gave it to more than one entry ;)

It will be interesting to see who wins this.

Diamond
03-07-2014, 01:28 PM
I'm pulling for a three-way tie. :D

- Max -
03-07-2014, 01:31 PM
That would be full of awesomeness! :D

- Max -
03-07-2014, 08:17 PM
The vote is now closed, and finally ended in a two way tie. Congrats to Diamond for his well deserved 4th Golden compass and to everyone for all the amazing entries this month!

Diamond, you'll receive your shiny award shortly (once I'll figure how to give it properly :D )

As a personnal note, thanks for all the votes, support and rep, all you guys!

Diamond
03-07-2014, 09:17 PM
That was a really close one. I am very honestly surprised, considering I put together my entire entry (the main bulk of it anyway) in less than 24 hours.

Thanks so much for the votes, guys! And congrats to Max, and great job to everyone that entered.

arsheesh
03-07-2014, 09:24 PM
That was a really close one. I am very honestly surprised, considering I put together my entire entry (the main bulk of it anyway) in less than 24 hours.

Thanks so much for the votes, guys! And congrats to Max, and great job to everyone that entered.

Yes but you seem to have a record for doing exceptional work in the eleventh hour. Congrats to you and Max both.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
03-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Too bad the display seems to cut off at seven awards, you can't see my other silver... :(

Raptori
03-07-2014, 09:40 PM
Congrats to - Max - and Diamond :)

Too bad the display seems to cut off at seven awards, you can't see my other silver... :(

Show off :P

arsheesh
03-07-2014, 09:44 PM

Perhaps this is something we can talk about with the other CLs and admins. It might also be worth talking about possibly extending the rep-display ceiling. I mean really, it's kind of silly that we each display the same amount of little green bars when you have like twice the amount of rep.

- Max -
03-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Yes but you seem to have a record for doing exceptional work in the eleventh hour.
Cheers,
-Arsheesh
^ This!

Yes, exactly what I thought looking at your display. Too bad that it doesn't show more than 6 awards on several lines.

madcowchef
03-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Awesome work all who entered! There was so many exceptional pieces I had no clue as to who would possibly win and why.

Raptori
03-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Perhaps this is something we can talk about with the other CLs and admins. It might also be worth talking about possibly extending the rep-display ceiling. I mean really, it's kind of silly that we each display the same amount of little green bars when you have like twice the amount of rep.

Makes sense. I just had a look and apparently the skin of the site works fine with more than six awards, so it's just a case of allowing more to be displayed in the template (i.e. no changes to css needed).

(Note: that's a screenshot not a mockup, I just duplicated one of the silver compasses in the source to see whether it'd look right.)

Edit: Fwahahahahaha I have compasses!

... I wish...

Azelor
03-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Thanks to everyone who voted for me and for all the repping :)

Congratulation Max and Diamond for your wonderful maps!

TheHoarseWhisperer
03-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Congratulations Max and Diamond. It was a hard-fought contest.

And thanks to everyone who gave me rep and their votes.

THW

- Max -
03-08-2014, 08:51 PM
Congratulations Max and Diamond. It was a hard-fought contest.
THW
Yes indeed and you were very close to join us in the tie! Anyway I think the real winner is the Guil itself that has now some beautiful maps that depict it :)

Cunning Cartographer
03-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Congrats to you both :)

jbgibson
03-09-2014, 01:20 AM
Congrats all - because all were fun. But especially to the up-compassed Max & Diamond. And as for the Guildpark - I dunno why some have said the zoo was labeled blurrily. One just needs a crisp monitor and a deft hand on the zoomwheel and one can spot (for instance) the plaque in front of the Jaybee Gibsons enclosure - for those who can't make it out, it seems to say "Jaybee Gibsons - grayer and hairier than the related Gibbon family. These primates will be silent and motionless for days at a time, then will chatter incessantly, almost seeming to make sense. Note the chalkboard over on the left of the cage - the senior Jaybee enjoys scribbling and erasing and scribbling and erasing and scribbling and erasing... you get the idea. Do not feed these - some are already taking on the shape of an ourangutang. Future plans are for exercise bars the inhabitants will have to negotiate to get food."

Or something like that :-). Nice, THW - I can see this being sold for a buck at the entrance to a real zoo. I'd buy one!

TheHoarseWhisperer
03-09-2014, 03:52 AM
JBGibson = Guildpark Zoo's resident cartographologist.

flocko
03-09-2014, 04:05 AM
Jaybee Gibsons - grayer and hairier than the related Gibbon family. These primates will be silent and motionless for days at a time, then will chatter incessantly, almost seeming to make sense. Note the chalkboard over on the left of the cage - the senior Jaybee enjoys scribbling and erasing and scribbling and erasing and scribbling and erasing... you get the idea. Do not feed these - some are already taking on the shape of an ourangutang. Future plans are for exercise bars the inhabitants will have to negotiate to get food.

Me reading this: Hm? I don't remember that. I thought I read all the side text. Wait did he say the sign? What sign?... Oh.

In my defense it's 3 am here.

Ilanthar
03-09-2014, 10:29 AM
I've been amazed by all the good ideas and the wonderful maps done on this challenge (and so glad to not participate... ;))!

Somehow, it could only result on a two or three-way tie! Congrats to - Max - and Diamond (I imagine the Guild's Tower somewhere in the Fertile Plains of Maxime described in the Guild Empire). And a big thumbs up to everyone for those maps!