PDA

View Full Version : Building styles and other stuff

Ascension
07-31-2008, 11:10 PM
Here are the layer styles I've made so far for things like buildings, roads, walls, n other stuff. Use em directly or for inspiration and remember to remove the drop shadows when ready to render up the final shadow since the shadows here are more of a placeholder. Land 1, land 2, and desert require you to put the style on a clouds layer. BTW, these are for Photoshop. To use these most effectively, place your buildings with the flat sides in the cardinal directions, apply the layer style, create a new layer, merge the 2 layers (this flattens effectively removes the layer style and produces a raster layer similar to rasterizing a text layer) then rotate the building to fit the street it is on. If a building is rotated before flattening then the style doesn't match the roof slope. To achieve other cool effects apply a new layer style on top of this flattened out one or use gradient overlays instead of bevel/emboss to simulate height as in the market style because not all roofs were built this way...read up on some architecture to see what I mean about roof styles, there's a link somewhere around here I think. If you stack different shapes on different layers and subsequently use differing layer styles you can get something like the castle or lighthouse on my fjord map. The castle has 3 layers, the stone base, the castle roof, and the lil turret roofs.

Steel General
08-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks...these ought to come in pretty handy.

Ascension
08-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Anytime bro, just here to help :)

Fister
08-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Just wanted to say thank you for the styles, I saved and check them out and they are going to be very useful.

StillCypher
08-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Sweet! Now I just need to find time to try out these and your cool brushes! :)

Molch
03-16-2009, 08:26 PM
To use these most effectively, place your buildings with the flat sides in the cardinal directions, apply the layer style, create a new layer, merge the 2 layers (this flattens effectively removes the layer style and produces a raster layer similar to rasterizing a text layer) then rotate the building to fit the street it is on. If a building is rotated before flattening then the style doesn't match the roof slope.
Oh god, thank you!! Thank you very much!!

Ascension
03-16-2009, 08:29 PM
No prob. Tear them apart to see how I did them and you can come up with some of your own (for me to download :) )

Molch
03-16-2009, 08:34 PM
I was explicitely referring to your hint on flattening layers and rotating the objects afterwards. This was something that bugged me for quite some time :)
But yes, I will have a long long look at those styles!

Also: Have my first white rep!

Ascension
03-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Ah, gotcha. And, thank ya, thank ya vera much, unh huh.

overlordchuck
03-17-2009, 01:54 AM
Thanks for these, might have to try them out.