PDA

View Full Version : [CG Choice Map] Vardenia & Urenia

- Max -
03-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Hi everyone,

Here is one of my latest personal work, the map of Vardenia and Urenia and the map of the city of Septentia. On this one, I wanted to map fictional regions trying to recreate (as best as I can) something close to late 16th century old maps style, with its flaws, its inconsistencies and typographical approximations and specifical geographic elements. I also wanted to add a map of small city in a bird's eye style, widely used in the style of that time (although usually separated from regional or continental maps). I used an odd combination of (approximate) latin and some "fake" language close to italian and a bit of spanish to label it. Anyway it was quite fun to do and I hope you'll like it!
The WIP thread is here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/26369-wip-vardenia-urenia.html). Thanks to all who supported it :)

The original map size is 16x11" and all the elements of the map were digitally hand-drawn and colored in photoshop.

As usual, feel free to rate, rep or run away :)

Sharpes
03-05-2014, 06:43 PM
I ran all the way here to rep you instead Max :) Something a little different from your usual work. I quite like the detail of the town/city in the top right.

The_Buce
03-05-2014, 07:21 PM
This... I mean... seriously... wow. *speechless*

TheHoarseWhisperer
03-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Beautiful map. The city is my favourite part. Out of interest, where is Urenia in relation to Vardenia?

THW

ravells
03-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Magnificent! Seriously beautiful. I love the labelling hierarchy and spacing - great 16/17 century reproduction.

arsheesh
03-05-2014, 09:28 PM
How you are able to produce such amazingly polished work at lighting speed is beyond me Max. My hat is off to you.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Sapiento
03-06-2014, 01:16 AM
Excellent map!

Clercon
03-06-2014, 04:18 AM
Wow just wow. That is one of your best maps Max, really love the map of the city. Can't rep you though :(

Ilanthar
03-06-2014, 05:21 AM
Amazing map! I would have rep you just for the city if I could!

And I like the work on names too, btw.

Eilathen
03-06-2014, 06:12 AM
The overall composition is very nice! Another beautiful piece.
I don't really like the map style per se, but i still can appreciate the art itself ;) Btw, i wish you'd evolve such a style one of these times instead of just copying it. Maybe as a next personal-project?

Have a Like (i don't think i can rep you yet, have to spread it around for a bit first :D).

Lingon
03-06-2014, 07:51 AM
Septentia makes me want to play Carcassonne… Anyone? Shall I make some tea?

It is fantastic, really. But still, I can't help but feel that the city sort of overshadows the rest… Colorwise and shapewise the whole map is wonderfully composed, but awesomewise, it's top-right heavy ;)

Yup, that's my only complaint about this one. The city map is too good.

Raptori
03-06-2014, 09:50 AM
The city map is too good.

Agreed. I keep coming back and staring at it like :shock:

CloudFang
03-06-2014, 10:21 AM
these are fantastic!

- Max -
03-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Thanks much for your comments guys, much appreciated!

Beautiful map. The city is my favourite part. Out of interest, where is Urenia in relation to Vardenia?

THW

Urenia is a colony of vardenia located south west on another continent across the sea.

Btw, i wish you'd evolve such a style one of these times instead of just copying it. Maybe as a next personal-project?
Don't you think that trying to emulate with digital work the traditionnal hand-made work of some great geographers that lived five centuries ago isn't some kind of an evolution? :p Anyway I fear that my next project won't please you more than this one :D

Septentia makes me want to play Carcassonne… Anyone? Shall I make some tea?

It is fantastic, really. But still, I can't help but feel that the city sort of overshadows the rest… Colorwise and shapewise the whole map is wonderfully composed, but awesomewise, it's top-right heavy ;)

Yup, that's my only complaint about this one. The city map is too good.
Carcassonne? I would definitely (though it's been a while I haven't play to this game) :) Well I guess your complaint isn't really a bad one :D

tripleoh
03-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Utterly astounded at your work! I am gamemaster of a small group, and I stumbled upon Cartographer's Guild while looking for a tutorial on mapmaking and saw your work. Words fail me. Demoralized and amazed at the same time!

I suppose it would be naive to ask for any advice regarding tutorials to fledgeling mapmakers?
Are the names/heraldry, etc. mostly of your own invention?

If you would email me a commission pricing guide I would be grateful. I don't have pm privileges yet, apparently. And if I knew what rep-ing was I would gladly do it (provided it's a good thing)!
tripleoh@mac.com

flocko
03-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Intentional misspellings and bad kerning. You have a wonderful attention to detail. This map is just beautiful!

Diamond
03-07-2014, 01:39 AM
Really excellent work AGAIN, Max. Can't rep you yet, but have a five-star rating and a like instead. And you know I'm coming to eat your brain one of these days... :D

- Max -
03-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Utterly astounded at your work! I am gamemaster of a small group, and I stumbled upon Cartographer's Guild while looking for a tutorial on mapmaking and saw your work. Words fail me. Demoralized and amazed at the same time!
I suppose it would be naive to ask for any advice regarding tutorials to fledgeling mapmakers?
Are the names/heraldry, etc. mostly of your own invention?
If you would email me a commission pricing guide I would be grateful. I don't have pm privileges yet, apparently. And if I knew what rep-ing was I would gladly do it (provided it's a good thing)!
tripleoh@mac.com
Check out the tutorials section here at the Guild, you might find some useful stuff :) Names are my ow invention. I drawn the heraldry but did it after a real blazon. I'll email you :)

Really excellent work AGAIN, Max. Can't rep you yet, but have a five-star rating and a like instead. And you know I'm coming to eat your brain one of these days... :D
You damn zombmapper :P

Bogie
03-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Great map Max, apparently I missed this one last week! The City portion is amazing.

- Max -
03-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Thanks much Bogie. Funny that everyone seems to dig the city map since at the start it was more a secondary side map in my mind, hence I went with a small one. Finally it tuned out better than I thought :D

Inocencio
03-13-2014, 04:47 PM
Very very beautiful. Keep it up, man. Really impressive. You could tell us which tecniques you have used on Photoshop.

- Max -
03-14-2014, 06:54 AM
Thanks Inocencio! Ah well, not any specific technics used here :/ I used a combination of textures for the background, hand made pattern for the sea dots and the coastline hatch. City icons and trees were drawn on the map then cloned with the stamp/clone tool. I don't know if that answers your question.

Lyrillies
03-15-2014, 12:36 PM
beautiful, I can only agree to what all the others already said. Very impressive.

- Max -
03-16-2014, 02:11 PM
Thanks Lyrillies, glad you like it :)

Amaru
05-23-2014, 09:09 AM
Hi everyone,

Here is one of my latest personal work, the map of Vardenia and Urenia and the map of the city of Septentia. On this one, I wanted to map fictional regions trying to recreate (as best as I can) something close to late 16th century old maps style, with its flaws, its inconsistencies and typographical approximations and specifical geographic elements. I also wanted to add a map of small city in a bird's eye style, widely used in the style of that time (although usually separated from regional or continental maps). I used an odd combination of (approximate) latin and some "fake" language close to italian and a bit of spanish to label it. Anyway it was quite fun to do and I hope you'll like it!
The WIP thread is here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/26369-wip-vardenia-urenia.html). Thanks to all who supported it :)

The original map size is 16x11" and all the elements of the map were digitally hand-drawn and colored in photoshop.

As usual, feel free to rate, rep or run away :)

This is amazing, are you taking commissions currently?

- Max -
05-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Yes I am :) You can reach me via private messaging or at maximeplassse(at)yahoo(dot)fr to discuss about it.

Best,

Max

Exadore
07-24-2014, 11:28 PM
This is very good.

- Max -
08-05-2014, 11:52 AM
Thank you Exadore !