PDA

View Full Version : *** August challenge - Battlemap Tiles on the go ***

NeonKnight
08-01-2008, 02:22 PM
OH NO! It’s Friday night, and your friends want to have a quick pick up game of D&D (or some other similar game), but you have nothing planned! Hey, you have a book of monsters, and some challenges, but nothing mapped out for the session. Thank goodness for that small collection of ‘Dungeon Room Tiles’ you have sitting on the shelf. A few of those placed on the table and your good to go!

In June of 2008, Dungeons and Dragons was released in its 4th edition incarnation, and the game is more geared towards using miniatures than previous editions. To celebrate the resurgence in using miniatures and gaming, this month’s challenge is to design a set of ‘Dungeon Room Tiles’ to form random dungeons when placed down. Create four to eight tiles that can be printed out to use for gaming while using miniatures.

The map tiles must represent portions of corridors, rooms, caves, buildings, etc, and should contain exits off at least two sides of the tile.

* This should be a ready to use map with all the objects and tokens already in place.
* Tiles must be no larger than 8 one-inch squares by 10 one-inch squares (8.5x11 letter sheets or A4 paper) for printing purposes, and must have a grid to represent spacing/etc.
* Those that wish to, can provide the maps sans objects and tokens once they have finished, but this is not a requirement of the challenge but would be appreciated by those of us that use VTs.
* Extra consideration will be considered for those who provide an example dungeon using the tiles. Full writeup not necessary beyond notes of traps, monsters and treasures keys.

***NOTE*** you are not limited to eight tiles. The size must be no larger than 8"x10" with a 1-inch grid. The concept here is to make small random dungeons for gaming purposes.

Redrobes
08-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Neon or CL, you should make this thread sticky and unsticky the July voting now. Also, could you edit the current month thumbnails sticky and change refs from 'Jul' to 'Aug' and then ill start that one off.

I'll use this as a place holder for this months entries and provide...

August 08 challenge Thumbnails (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ChallengeTN/Challengers_Aug08.htm)

### New Challenge Entry:Gamerprinter,2651
### New Challenge Entry:yu gnomi,2652
### New Challenge Entry:Redrobes,2659
### New Challenge Entry:NeonKnight,2685
### New Challenge Entry:Ascension,2686
### New Challenge Entry:Lord,2723
### New Challenge Entry:RobA,2772

Vry
08-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Can we have multiple tiles on each 8x10 sheet that are intended to be cut out and placed separately or should we keep it to one tile per sheet?

SeerBlue
08-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Hmm, we may give this a go, Raith and Ol' Horsehair are only about every other weekend now that school and all its activities are about to commence, so if we do join in we may not start til the middle of the month, or maybe Lemur and Bumblemouse will Sketchup some blocks and tubes for subdivide and smoothing into caves and such, and the three of us will see what shapes up.
We had been experimenting with caves and tunnels a bit ago, after our foray into Wind Cave, so they have the gist of it. We'll see, or maybe a mix of Leveller and the new Terragen Technolgy preview release,,,,,lots of options.

SeerBlue

NeonKnight
08-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Can we have multiple tiles on each 8x10 sheet that are intended to be cut out and placed separately or should we keep it to one tile per sheet?

Yup, it's just each tile should be no larger 8x10 to facilitate printing on a home printer.

Ascension
08-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Can we do up multiple sets? Like a set for floored (polished tiles and what not) and unfloored (rocky and dirty) dungeons? Or should we limit ourselves to just one set for a specific setting (like a troll cave)? If I'm reading this correctly there needs to be tokens as well...tokens for what, people and chests n stuff? Do these count towards the 4-8 tile restriction? I would assume not but I just want to clarify cuz I'm likely to create a token for just about anything (I'm obsessive like that). Lastly, this says dungeon but could it be more of an anywhere kind of thing like say some outdoor forest tiles where heroes get ambushed?

Thanks in advance for any info/help :)

true-chaotic
08-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Hm. This time, I'm in! :)

A question though—the resolution should be 300 dpi (for printing)?

NeonKnight
08-03-2008, 02:01 PM
You can make as many or as few as you wish.

As to DPI, as long as when a noob like me hits print it comes out with the grid at 1 inch, you're golden

true-chaotic
08-03-2008, 02:06 PM
You see, a 8" 10" map in 300 dpi (usual quality for printing) is 2400px 3000px and we need 4—8 of them :)

waldronate
08-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Is it intended for square tiles/grids only or are hex tiles/grids acceptable?

edit: never mind, on re-reading I saw the "squares" part. Oh well, that's one more month that gets to slip by.

NeonKnight
08-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Is it intended for square tiles/grids only or are hex tiles/grids acceptable?

edit: never mind, on re-reading I saw the "squares" part. Oh well, that's one more month that gets to slip by.

Nah, I don't have a problem with Hex grids. It's not like I'm gonna kvetch if someone does Hexes, I just don't play any systems with hexes, so I don;t know a good scale to suggest.

RPMiller
08-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Hexes use the same scale as squares measured side to side since distance is measured from the center of the hex to the center of the next hex.

Robbie
08-04-2008, 08:48 AM
If its the difference between having joe participate or not, I say we allow hexes ;) hehehe

loogie
08-07-2008, 01:40 PM
while i lack any time to actually attempt this challenge (and i would really like to)... theres one board game that comes to mind when you speak of tiled maps... ZOMBIES!!!

For those of you who don't know it, its quite good, addicting, and with expansion packs, can run on forever... The reason this game is a suggestion for ideas is because the board for this game isn't a board, but a series of 3x3 tiles, while you shuffle for each game and place interlocking to make a new board every time... Basically every turn you get, you draw a map tile, place it where it will fit (so tile exits connect), make a die roll to find out how many zombies you can place and place them, then another roll to move your player... its a great game to try, the original is all city blocks, with no insides to buildings... but there are many expansions, to add things from military outposts, to malls, to schools, all of which add new settings and areas.

I think this idea would be great for this challenge.. and if i had time i'd go for it, but i just don't have an opportunity... (I may do something like it at a later date anyways... unless someone wants to pick up the torch)

nolgroth
08-07-2008, 01:47 PM
I've been toying around with an idea for this challenge, but I am already at 8 tiles. Is there a maximum number of tiles we should worry about?

RPMiller
08-07-2008, 01:50 PM
I've been toying around with an idea for this challenge, but I am already at 8 tiles. Is there a maximum number of tiles we should worry about?
No, NK lifted that restriction so go for it. :D

NeonKnight
08-07-2008, 06:46 PM
I lifted that restriction because frankly I was baffled where people were getting the 8 tile restriction in the first place :?:

RPMiller
08-08-2008, 12:43 PM
I lifted that restriction because frankly I was baffled where people were getting the 8 tile restriction in the first place :?:

I think they were getting it from this bit, emphasis mine:

Create four to eight tiles that can be printed out to use for gaming while using miniatures.

NeonKnight
08-08-2008, 07:08 PM
I think they were getting it from this bit, emphasis mine:

D'OH!

Did you ever write something and forget what you wrote, and then read over it and never see it. :oops:

I am so, so, soooooooooo embarassed.

Move along folks, nothing to see here, nothing to see.

Redrobes
08-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Don't know if your also aware about this minor fact about two exits on every tile...

I was playing making up some twisty maps using my tiles to see how they hang together and noticed that its not possible to terminate a corridor unless you loop it back on itself.

Do you think it would be alright to have a corridor and a room on the end with no other exit ?

NeonKnight
08-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Sure, if it works to make a single end room, one can do that, these are after all merely guidelines. ;)

Gamerprinter
08-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Don't know if your also aware about this minor fact about two exits on every tile...

I was playing making up some twisty maps using my tiles to see how they hang together and noticed that its not possible to terminate a corridor unless you loop it back on itself.

Do you think it would be alright to have a corridor and a room on the end with no other exit ?

As RPMiller pointed out to me, the solution is to cover the second exit with a map object. I'm creating specific map objects to cover exits, as well as open up new ones. Map Objects are part of this challenge requirement.

Not to say you can't create a single exit tile - just another option to consider.

GP