PDA

View Full Version : August Entry: the Under Halls

Gamerprinter
08-02-2008, 02:39 AM
What timing is this! I just created a Xara tutorial for creating Quick Dungeons and this month's challenge is to create Dungeon Tiles, hmmm.

Strange, but my first product offer on my printing site was for something I called Endless Terrain Battlemaps which featured geomorphic edges on an 11 x 17 map printed and laminated on two sides. A set of four was 8 different maps. Dungeon Tiles is far easier to create than geomorphic wilderness terrain which were my primary offers.

So I'm very familiar with the concept.

Plan so far, following my tutorial step-by-step, I plan to create 12 battlemaps at the 8" x 10" size with four exits each, to include: 1 surface access map, 4 catacomb maps, 1 crypt map, 1 maze of doors map, 1 ruins map, 1 watery map, 1 large chamber map, 1 dungeon community map, and natural cave map.

I've got 2/3rds of the basic floorplans setup, but I want to do some detailing before I post a WIP, but I will post in the various steps of tutorial for all maps so you can see the process in how it was done.

Will post them tomorrow... 8)

GP

Gamerprinter
08-03-2008, 06:07 AM
Only 8 tiles? OK, here's the first, I call it the "Entry" tile or "Surface Access" Tile. A hole to the surface from a ruined structure with sunlight and debris falling in. Even some plants growing where the sun allows it.

Since there's a restriction of 8 tiles for this challenge, yet I've preconceived of 12 I want to make, I will be providing 4 "bonus tiles" that because they will be a bit exotic from the standard dungeon tiles one would expect to include - will not count as part of this challenge. The "Entry" Tile is the first of these bonus tiles.

No tokens until the end.

I may change textures and colors but the 1st tile design is complete... 8)

GP

NeonKnight
08-03-2008, 02:07 PM
There is no eight tile limit. The limit is each tile should be no larger than 8"x10" for printing purposes (most of us regular folks can only print letter or legal size :))

If you want to only make 5 tiles, you are good, want to make 20 tiles, you are good. The tiles with a 1-inch grid should then be 8x10 ;)

Gamerprinter
08-03-2008, 02:13 PM
I agree with Redrobes in that square Tiles offer more options than rectangular tiles, but this challenge calls for the use of 8 x 10 tiles, so I will observe this rule. Though NK also said at least two doors, I believe four doors open more possibilities for random dungeon tile placement. Though you may notice one cannot necessarily exit through all of the four when in a given tile, depending on the layout. This still follows the philosophy of my Endless Terrain Battlemaps...

Below is 3 of the many possible dungeon tile configurations using 5 tiles I've completed/semi-completed so far. Some tiles have been rotated 180 degrees from a previous tile placement.

The tiles presented are the Entry Tile, and 4 Catacomb Tiles (catacomb tiles will be part of the actual entry and not being bonus tiles.)

GP

PS: Thanks, NK! 12 tiles it is, no bonus tiles necessary! In fact I may go 20 tiles, now that you mention it. Now I can have fun...

NeonKnight
08-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Sure, just to further clarify, you can make square tiles if you want, I just stipulated that a tile could be no larger than 8x10 ;)

Gamerprinter
08-03-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm sticking with full 8 x 10's so I can create larger chambers as I need it.

The first four maps below are the catacombs subset - the "standard" dungeon tiles that would be available in most tile sets.

Since I'm categorizing my "Entry" Tile in the previous post as an exotic. So too is this exotic tile, called the "Pool" Tile, a large chamber with water filling most of it and tranparent to see that it is a living pool, from an underground lake that may flow in from under the "northside" balcony.

Note: there really is no north in these maps, as a GM can rotate them 180 degrees, after using them and placing down ahead through the next door.

My Dungeon Tiles, subsets of 4 tiles: Catacombs 1 (here), Catacombs 2, Drainage Tunnels, Exotics, and Caverns.

Six done - fourteen to go. Note: I will upload gridded versions at completion of all tile designs. And tokens.

These are all 1.5 MB each, or thereabouts...

GP

Gamerprinter
08-04-2008, 12:01 AM
After looking at my Catacombs tiles, I thought they looked too standard. So I added some subtle changes like stairs to change elevations between chambers on a tile. Although I've already changed all four catacombs tiles. I've only uploaded the second catacombs tile (gatehouse entry tile).

The door on the "west" wall does not connect with the rest of the exits on this level, so I threw in some stairs up and down. Going up to the center room, I've placed a steel barred window exposing the view at the entrance to the gatehouse below. I've also added some rubble.

Ambushes with missle weapons or spells to targets entering the gatehouse area below. No access past the barred window, so attacker in safe position.

I will upload the improved catacombs with the next batch, tomorrow or later tonight.

GP :arrow:

Gamerprinter
08-04-2008, 03:11 AM
Here are the updated catacomb maps 1, 3 & 4. I adjusted the shadow values in the Entry tile. And a new one, the Crypt tile...

GP

Steel General
08-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Lookin' good so far, beyond anything I could manage at this point. :)

RPMiller
08-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Looking great GP as usual! These are definitely going to get some use. There is a thread at the RPTools forums right now about using macros and tiles to generate random maps so this month's challenge is quite timely. :)

jaerdaph
08-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Those are really nice looking tiles, gameprinter. Are the bitmaps of the floors and walls available online somewhere or did you create those yourself? I wouldn't mind getting my hands on those. :)

Gamerprinter
08-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Those are really nice looking tiles, gameprinter. Are the bitmaps of the floors and walls available online somewhere or did you create those yourself? I wouldn't mind getting my hands on those. :)

Jaerdaph, most of these photo textures are from CGTextures.com (http://www.cgtextures.com), though the rock used in the walls of these dungeons were from a site that nolonger exists, but cgtextures has some nice stone textures that will do I'm sure! 8)

GP

PS: here's the photo texture for the rock I used in the walls of the dungeons, called "nicerock.jpg"

jaerdaph
08-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Many thanks!

Gamerprinter
08-05-2008, 03:06 AM
The next five dungeon tiles are done, that makes, what, twelve, so far? That means I've got 8 more: drainage tiles and cavern tiles, then I'm done. Then tokens... sigh...

Instead of Catacombs 2 subset, I turned it into Rampart subset (castle-like). Inspired by the Gatehouse in Catacombs 1 (names just to keep me organized.)

Like my collapsed floor? That finishes the Exotics subset.

GP

Steel General
08-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Fantastic job GP! Can't wait to see the rest.

torstan
08-05-2008, 07:49 AM
These are looking brilliant. Another stellar entry shaping up there GP. Good work.

Redrobes
08-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Your a dab hand at these GP. I can see my slippery vote almost jumping into your tick box - but still early days yet. I liked the collapsed floor very much - but then I like all of them really.

ravells
08-05-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm gobsmacked. This is some of your best work to date, GP. It's really clear and really detailed and that's a neat trick to pull off.

NeonKnight
08-05-2008, 06:11 PM
I like them except when I try to overlay a 1" grid on them (using them are being 8" x 10", it doesn't work :(

Gamerprinter
08-06-2008, 12:14 AM
NK, I used a grid to create these tiles. In some cases, I offer very narrow passages only as wide as a doorway. If a PC can fit through a door, then can fit down a passage that is less than 5 feet wide (approx. 3 feet), though I try to mimize use of such narrow passages. Most all other passages were created using 1 inch grid on an 8 x 10 layout.

"Narrow" meaning you can fit through, but you can't fight in melee combat.

In some cases, where the outer wall is less than 5 feet wide, most of the inner halls are 5 feet wide but may not be centered with the grid. Is this really a problem?

After I post these and the last three, probably later tonight, I will begin gridding these tiles and try to post as many as possible tomorrow.

If I have to tweak, where I got it wrong, well, then I'll do just that. But as far as I can tell, it should work.

NEXT FIVE TILES
4 Waterworks Tiles (sounds better than drainage tiles)
1st of the Cavern Tiles.

Almost finished with the design part...

EDIT: in retrospect, I think I'm going to create a 9" x 11" grid, centered over the 8x10 tile, dropped under the walls, removed over non-traversable areas, then the outer half inch all around the cut away to the tile borders - it will still be an 8 x 10 grid, just with half a grid under the outer walls. I'm not sure how this would be handled in a VT app, but that's how I plan to do the printed grid dungeon tiles.

GP

Gamerprinter
08-06-2008, 04:20 AM
OK, I didn't finish all the maps like I promised - got one left to create. However, here are two more cavern tiles, plus the same tiles gridded. And to prove to NK, that my grid plan worked, I uploaded one of my Rampart tiles with a grid on it!

I've already gridded all the maps so far, I'll upload them tomorrow.

1 cavern tile to create and upload!

GP

NymTevlyn
08-06-2008, 12:21 PM
When you're done, can you bundle these into one package? One without grids and another with grids please?

RPMiller
08-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Wow! This is an incredible collection GP! Wonderful work and very useful. I posted to the RPTools forum thread you started regarding the door/passageways. I would be interested to hear what you thought of the idea and if it was feasible.

Gamerprinter
08-07-2008, 01:18 AM
Thanks for all the praise, it does keep me going!

I've spent several late nights working on this challenge and its taking its toll in my day job, so I'm uploading the last tile design, and its gridded version, but that's it for tonight. I'm going to bed!

Last tile design - TA DAH! - the Crystal Cavern.

I'm already working up a list of map objects I need for this challenge and without going overboard, just enough to be fully useable, I think I'll create 50 map objects - wall sections to block existing doorways, open doorways to cut through walls, doorways with doors, pits, discarded junk, bodies, traps, ladders, some critters (not monsters), etc.

I'll upload the rest over the next day or two. I'll probably place all grid tiles and non-grid tiles into separate .zip files. If too big to upload (probably), I'll just post a link and load them into my site. I'll also .zip the map objects when complete as well.

Now I'm going to bed...

GP

jfrazierjr
08-07-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm already working up a list of map objects I need for this challenge and without going overboard, just enough to be fully useable, I think I'll create 50 map objects - wall sections to block existing doorways, open doorways to cut through walls, doorways with doors, pits, discarded junk, bodies, traps, ladders, some critters (not monsters), etc.

Don't forget portcullis's for the hallways....

Gamerprinter
08-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Instead of trying to upload 18 more gridded tiles, I figured those using them would be printing them. I packaged all 20 gridded dungeon tiles into a PDF file, that's too big to upload here. (14.9 MB)

File link below to my website:

GP's Dungeon Tiles with Grids (http://www.gamer-printshop.com/cbg/gp-dungeon-tiles-grid.pdf)

I'm already starting work on the map objects. And JFrazierJr - definitely got a portcullis in the set! :arrow:

GP

Lord
08-11-2008, 11:59 AM
I am amazed at the speed in which you crank out such quality. When is the deadline?

Gamerprinter
08-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Challenge Map deadlines are supposed to be the fifth day before the end of the month, so usually on a 25 or 26th of a month. However, community leaders are responsible for announcing the official deadline. I have seen some challenge deadlines sneak in to the first 3 days of the next month - it really depends on how busy their personal schedules are to post the announcement.

Regarding speed of map production, I've got a tutorial using Xara Xtreme to create dungeons. This challenge is doing my own tutorial with my preferred software. The process is easy for me, I'm used to working in a high pace graphics environment. So I crank them out! :P

GP

Gamerprinter
08-12-2008, 02:05 AM
After taking the weekend off from this project, I'm trying to get back into the groove again. Started creating some map objects. Currently uploading VT versions, some with necessary Alpha channels.

Walls, doors and a smashed door.

GP

Gamerprinter
08-12-2008, 02:11 AM
This time its 2 each Jfrazierjr's portcullis, a square pit and one with spikes, and a column...

GP

Gamerprinter
08-12-2008, 02:19 AM
I didn't think about all the directions certain objects have to be, there may be upwards towards a hundred objects before I'm through.

Stairs going up in 4 directions and a stone urn.

GP

Gamerprinter
08-12-2008, 02:25 AM
Some debris... a pile of hay, some rocks and some rubble. More objects tomorrow!

GP

RPMiller
08-12-2008, 12:11 PM
GP, regarding your doors. When you make those can you make them so that the hinge, or pivot point, of the door is in the center of the overall graphic? What that does for us is make it extremely simple to rotate a door open using the mouse wheel, at least in MapTool.

Gamerprinter
08-12-2008, 03:49 PM
GP, regarding your doors. When you make those can you make them so that the hinge, or pivot point, of the door is in the center of the overall graphic? What that does for us is make it extremely simple to rotate a door open using the mouse wheel, at least in MapTool.

So you want the door itself as a separate object. Right now I have the door as a single piece with the walls that frame around it. You'd rather have just a door, that you could show "opened".

No problem, hadn't given it that much thought, but then I mostly play tabletop and not VT, so this isn't as obvious for me!

GP

RPMiller
08-12-2008, 04:06 PM
You got it. In the base map you have the opening with no door and then drop the door in as a stamp on the object layer. That way when the party gets to the door and open it, the GM switches to the Object Layer selects the door and spins the mouse wheel and the door opens before their eyes. Then a quick erase of the Vision Blocking Layer and the room comes into view. It actually goes really fast in play.

EDIT: If I remember I'll whip up a quick demo of how it looks in MapTool for you so that you can see how the graphic itself works.

Gamerprinter
08-14-2008, 01:18 AM
RPMiller, here's your door only object! Plus I've added a few Poser Skeletons to populate a tile. How about another way to block a doorway or passage - a cave-in pile of rubble.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
08-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Map Objects: campfire, stone well, broken armor, coil of chain and evocation circle...

GP

RPMiller
08-14-2008, 02:05 PM
RPMiller, here's your door only object! Plus I've added a few Poser Skeletons to populate a tile. How about another way to block a doorway or passage - a cave-in pile of rubble.

Thanks, but... the door won't quite work as intended. The center of the graphic needs to be the hinge of the door. I totally blanked on doing that video for you... I'll email myself a reminder right now so that you can see how it works.

Gamerprinter
08-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks, but... the door won't quite work as intended. The center of the graphic needs to be the hinge of the door. I totally blanked on doing that video for you... I'll email myself a reminder right now so that you can see how it works.

Actually, I think I understand... you want a door, where on the hinge side there is a transparent "block" the same width as the door, where the hinge is now located at the center of the graphic - so it rotates at the hinge. I believe this is what you mean...

Next 5 objects: a plank used for bridging, a suspended rope/plank bridge, an upright ladder, a trapdoor, and a trestle table with bench (I'll fix the door later today.)

GP

RPMiller
08-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Actually, I think I understand... you want a door, where on the hinge side there is a transparent "block" the same width as the door, where the hinge is now located at the center of the graphic - so it rotates at the hinge. I believe this is what you mean...

Pretty much. Do need for a transparent "block" though. Just make the canvas twice as tall/long as the door is and put the door on the top or bottom half such that the hinge is in the center and you've got it.

Gamerprinter
08-14-2008, 06:02 PM
RP, like this? New Door...

GP

RPMiller
08-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Almost... You have the hinge off center about 12 pixels or so. In the attached image you'll notice the top guideline is at the hinge, but the bottom guideline is the center of the image. If you move the door down just a bit you'll have it.

Gamerprinter
08-14-2008, 06:26 PM
I did double the size of the door. But the door side includes a drop shadow which makes it larger than the door. I should have doubled the size of the shadow not the door - and I'd be truly centered.

I'd have thought, this is just door, no problem - you make doors a tough thing, RP! :P

GP

RPMiller
08-14-2008, 09:55 PM
:D Thanks GP!

RPMiller
08-15-2008, 12:31 AM
Here is the promised video of what I was talking about. Apparently your latest door doesn't have a transparent background, but you still get the idea. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk-SJ5wI-ow

Gamerprinter
08-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Here is the promised video of what I was talking about. Apparently your latest door doesn't have a transparent background, but you still get the idea. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk-SJ5wI-ow

Err, this door is gonna be the death of me...meh.

Try again.

GP

RPMiller
08-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Look at it this way, you're a pro now. LOL

Gamerprinter
08-15-2008, 02:43 AM
Next objects include a stone sarcophagus, an open sarcophagus, one that is occupied, and the dead occupant alone. Also created a table where some adventurers were planning it out (notice the Lair of Lhessadrak is the map!)

GP

Gamerprinter
08-15-2008, 03:23 AM
Here's a 200 ppi PNG for the printed version of the Adventurer's Table object.

Note to RobA - I simply rescaled the object to 4 times its size, then exported PNG at 200 ppi. The fill graphics simply upscaled without loss of quality, prior to export.)

GP

RPMiller
08-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Next objects include a stone sarcophagus, an open sarcophagus, one that is occupied, and the dead occupant alone. Also created a table where some adventurers were planning it out (notice the Lair of Lhessadrak is the map!)

GP

Hehehe, you are going to hate me... so can you provide just the lid of the sarcophagi as a separate graphic, and have the center of the graphic be the bottom (thin section) of the lid? That way when the adventurers open it I can just swing it open. :D

Here's a 200 ppi PNG for the printed version of the Adventurer's Table object.

Note to RobA - I simply rescaled the object to 4 times its size, then exported PNG at 200 ppi. The fill graphics simply upscaled without loss of quality, prior to export.)

GP

Oh! That just rocks on toast! I love that it kept the detail. At 200 ppi the players could zoom in on the parchment and see that detail as well. That's a thing of beauty. Two requests:

Can you provide a tutorial on how you curled the edge of the map?
Can you provide the parchment as is but without the map on it?

Gamerprinter
08-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Yes, RP, I can certainly do that - you want to spin the sarcophagus door open... meh!

Regarding the page curl on the map - this is really cheating, I used a Photoshop Plugin, built inside Xara Xtreme, AV Bros. Page Curl 2.0 for Xara. Just apply the Plugin button, select available plugins, a menu shows up to allow you to place your image topside or bottom side, you determine if curl is up or down and what actually curls.

I created a drop shadow to enhance the effect.

Not that this couldn't be handled by hand - I used the plugin for quick but cool effect.

Regarding the parchment - do you want this mapless parchment with or without the page curl, or are you looking for a cool parchment background for any maps?? I can do either or both.

GP

Gamerprinter
08-15-2008, 01:37 PM
First of all, not knowing size and resolution, I copied the parchment of my Lair of Lhessadrak map without the map, exported to JPG format at 100 ppi, but scaled in pixels at 4995 x 3981, 1.34 MB (hopefully that's enough for you, RP.)

Also created the rotateable sarcophagus lid - now that I'm a pro at it! :P

GP

PS: not sure what happened to the parchment, you can crop it, or I can, later on...

RPMiller
08-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks for both GP! I was actually thinking map with curl without image, but now that I know what I'm looking for and generally how to do it, I can do that part myself unless you beat me to it. ;) Thanks again for all the VTT additional stuff and putting up with my myriad requests. :D

Gamerprinter
08-15-2008, 07:15 PM
A table for a wizard's laboratory... VT and Print versions!

All the cool objects here are basically 3D models/rendered and placed onto the Xara created table.

GP

Steel General
08-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Very cool GP! *applauds*

Gamerprinter
08-16-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm not done yet, still more objects to create, however, I thought I'd offer a sample dungeon plan with a few objects in place to demonstrate, how these tiles work. Note some of the tiles have been rotated 180 degrees from their created direction.

Tile #1, start of the dungeon is on the upper right corner tile - entry tiles. Presumeably, the last chamber of this dungeon plan is the crystal cavern in the lower left corner.

Note with the way I blocked certain exits, there is only a single path from start to crystal cavern, but multiple exit tiles could easily expand this with forks in multiple directions.

Anyway, sample to view... (heavily compressed JPG, some tokens will blur out of existence, but this map measures: 32 x 40 inches, using half the tiles made available and only a half dozen objects, not counting exit blockers.)

GP

ravells
08-17-2008, 06:33 AM
That is Superb!!!

Gamerprinter
08-18-2008, 04:18 PM
OK, some militant objects: a teepee stack of polearms, a weapons rack, a heavy crossbow, a smithy and a bowyery-fletchery.

GP

Gamerprinter
08-19-2008, 02:08 AM
Map Objects for sleeping quarters: a crude hay-bed, a cot, a bedroll, a cage cell with hay on floor, and burrowing denizen's lair (giant ants, ankheg, etc.)

GP

Steel General
08-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Cool stuff GP, that burrowing lair could almost be made into a volcano with a little editing.

SeerBlue
08-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Great work GP, now for a silly question, what are you creating your tokens in, I really like the look of them.
SeerBlue

Gamerprinter
08-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Seerblue, as I mentioned at the start of this thread, I just created a Tutorial using Xara Xtreme to create dungeon maps, so I thought I'd strictly rely on Xara for everything here. Though a few of the objects were modeled and rendered in 3D (not much though, the glass containers and open book on the Wizard's Lab Table, for example.)

Everything else is completely created in Xara Xtreme 4.0 (many of my maps are, but this set especially!)

Check out the tutorial to get an idea how its done.

GP

Gamerprinter
08-20-2008, 04:30 AM
RPMiller, how about another object with rotation (like the door and sarcophagus lid).

Below is a crate - the main box and the lid. The lid is centered at the lower right corner, so you can rotate it in MapTool to reveal the interior.

I've got more contents objects planned, but for now... treasure/coinage, poison gas trap, and some supplies.

GP

RPMiller
08-20-2008, 12:51 PM
RPMiller, how about another object with rotation (like the door and sarcophagus lid).

Below is a crate - the main box and the lid. The lid is centered at the lower right corner, so you can rotate it in MapTool to reveal the interior.

I've got more contents objects planned, but for now... treasure/coinage, poison gas trap, and some supplies.

GP

That right there is BRILLIANT!! That is exactly the sort of thing that I really like and provides not only a 'wow' factor, but it has a ton of usefulness and the fact you thought ahead regarding its use makes it even more useful. I'm definitely going to have to beat you with my rep stick when it recharges. ;)

Gamerprinter
08-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Five more content objects for the rotating crate object: wizard goods/treasure, gemstones, fighter goods/treasure, acid spray trap, and scorpion.

GP

Gamerprinter
08-20-2008, 07:16 PM
I thought these dungeon tiles could use some fire and light effects, so...

A torch on a sconce, a brazier with hot coals, a stove, an empty fireplace, and a burning fireplace.

GP

Ascension
08-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Who needs the Dunjinni forums anymore? We got GP! My rep stick is kinda dusty so allow me to apply the above-mentioned beatings about the head :) Excellent work and I really admire the commitment to see it all the way through as I couldn't even bring myself to go beyond my basic tiles for this challenge.

Gamerprinter
08-21-2008, 03:41 AM
Who needs the Dunjinni forums anymore? We got GP!

Now that's funny!

OK, the last five objects for the crate, I think:

1. Spring Bolt Trap - 3 small crossbows with poisoned bolts.
2. Electrical Trap - collected static electricity discharges.
3. Spellbook - protected by an active spell
4. Demi-Lich - something scarier, than a giant scorpion.
5. Ladder Down - surprise this lets the Crate become a hidden entry down.

Note: of course, these crate content objects work as stand-alone map objects too!

GP

Steel General
08-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Cool stuff GP!

Keep 'em coming.

Gamerprinter
08-21-2008, 12:25 PM
This isn't all my map objects, but most of them (short about 15 objects from total) for printed form. This page is a 300 dpi JPG file with about 46 items.

When I complete my objects creation, I'll upload the last objects and create another page like this. I believe these will need to be cut out with scissors. I recommend that these be printed to at least 65# cardstock. (If anybody desired, I could color laser print the tiles and object sheets for about $.65 each, or everything for less than $15)

GP

Gamerprinter
08-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Here are the last of the printed Map Objects - 300 dpi JPG (I created more objects than I thought!) :mrgreen:

GP