PDA

View Full Version : Central Uralien

- Max -
03-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Hi guys,

Lately, I worked on a old atlas (not that old :D ) style test , inspired by some mid 19th century american and french atlas maps, though I mixed it with a slighty more "modern" relief style. During the process, I wanted to see more and more of the style on a larger map and it finally turned into a complete map at the end, so here it is :) It's done in Photoshop.

Hope you'll like it. As usual, feel free to rate, rep or run away :)

Lingon
03-20-2014, 01:57 PM
Epic! The relief mountains work really well here. The shape of the land is awesome. I'm not completely sold on the sea labels, it looks a little too modern with the raised effect imo. Otherwise, thumbs up! :)

Raptori
03-20-2014, 03:41 PM
I like the sea labels actually, nice logical contrast between them and the land labels. Wonderful map, really like the style :)

Is there a mistake on the scales or am I reading it wrong? The second one (Moranian Miles) goes 100, 0, 50, 100, 200, etc - shouldn't they be even? Really like the detail of adding in-world measurements too.

- Max -
03-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Thanks Lingon. I tried to build typography carefully. Though the sea labels may look slighlty too modern, they are actually pretty close to the references I had. "Raised effect" or shaded typography were used a lot on maps, especially on titles and big labels,from mid to late 19th century.
@ Raptori: Thanks! You're right pointing the scale, there's actuatlly a mistake I missed. The scale should go 0, 100, 200 etc. Will fix that :)

Ilanthar
03-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Wow, I love it! That's gonna be an inspiration since I'm working on a 19th century style (not necessary realistic, but nevertheless close to...)!

Sapiento
03-20-2014, 03:50 PM
Looks like cut out from an Atlas. Excellent work again!

- Max -
03-21-2014, 07:42 AM
Thank you guys!

Wow, I love it! That's gonna be an inspiration since I'm working on a 19th century style (not necessary realistic, but nevertheless close to...)!

That sounds good :D

Eilathen
03-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Normally, i am a much bigger fan of older styles of maps. But this one i like...even the mountains (i think those work as they do register easily as mountains whereas i find those caterpillar "mountains" do not).
The landshape is very cool!

I don't think i can rep. you but have a Like!

The_Buce
03-21-2014, 12:47 PM
This is just beautiful. In my wildest dreams I aspire to create maps like this one! I really like the mountain effect (it seems, to me, as though it might be a brass rubbing or something, due to the subtle ribbed look) and the differing scales is something that I've never seen before on a map (I don't think!) - it really makes the world more believable in a very subtle, inobtrusive sort of way. Brilliant work.

- Max -
03-21-2014, 03:29 PM
Thanks guys, comments appreciated ! :)

Lingon
03-21-2014, 04:20 PM
Though the sea labels may look slighlty too modern, they are actually pretty close to the references I had. "Raised effect" or shaded typography were used a lot on maps, especially on titles and big labels,from mid to late 19th century.

Okay, I haven't studied this period very closely so I'll trust you! I think what's bothering me is that it looks a bit too dark and sharp compared to the rest. If it just had a little lower opacity and maybe a tiny bit more blur, I think I'd like it better.

Llannagh
03-22-2014, 05:25 AM
I like the subtlety of the mountains. And of course all the rest. :)

- Max -
03-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Thanks Lannagh!

@ Lingon : you get a point here. I think I should hve added some kind of slight blurr on the sea labels :)

rollsomedice
03-24-2014, 10:04 AM
That map's extremely realist and well-made! I love the detail you put into the creation of the mountains and their respective heights. I also love the insane level of detail in the small aisles scattered all over the map.

- Max -
03-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Thank you Rollsomedice, glad you appreciate it :)

Raptori
03-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Another (extremely) minor thing I noticed: the second bracket on the label saying "Septrian Colony" is too close to the text, which could be a lack of italicised brackets in the font - either an extra space or italicising the brackets would solve that. As you can tell, I'm looking quite closely at this map :D

arsheesh
03-26-2014, 08:12 PM
Wow! You are certainly a very versatile cartographer Max. Every style you work with is fantastic. Great job. Rated but not repped unfortunately, gotta spread the love.

Cheers,
-arsheesh

- Max -
03-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Wow! You are certainly a very versatile cartographer Max. Every style you work with is fantastic. Great job. Rated but not repped unfortunately, gotta spread the love.

Cheers,
-arsheesh

Thanks Arsheesh :) I indeed like being versatile on cartography, playing with several styles!

Another (extremely) minor thing I noticed: the second bracket on the label saying "Septrian Colony" is too close to the text, which could be a lack of italicised brackets in the font - either an extra space or italicising the brackets would solve that. As you can tell, I'm looking quite closely at this map :D

Hehe, well spotted! Again you're right :) This is one the things I'll have to fix aswell!

Slylok
03-27-2014, 01:19 PM
Looks so goood! Would you mind sharing your technique for making the border and projection lines look penciled in?

torstan
03-29-2014, 04:53 PM
Lovely job - you really nailed that style.

- Max -
03-30-2014, 01:34 PM
Thanks Guys!

Looks so goood! Would you mind sharing your technique for making the border and projection lines look penciled in?

I made the graticules in G-projector then imported it in PS. Then I made paths on the lines and stroked them with a brush. On the border aswell, the right choice of the brush is defintely the key to have that penciled in look ;)

Gerhard von Liebau
03-31-2014, 01:27 AM
This is a really awesome map! I admire the attention to the historical cartography involved in its creation. Cheers!

-Gerhard

- Max -
04-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Thanks Gerhard, glad you like it!

thamupp
04-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Wow, I think this is your best creation. But that's probably because the style appeals to me a lot.

Anyways, this made me want to start working with my stuff again.

Cheers and great work, as always!

- Max -
04-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Thanks much Thamupp :) Glad to know that it could inspire you to get back on your (great) maps!

groovey
04-16-2014, 08:06 AM
Breathtaking! I love your work Max, and this is no exception, mind-blowing. Congratulations, I'll rep you on this when I can again as I already repped you for another work.

- Max -
04-17-2014, 04:11 AM
Thanks much Groovey, glad you like it!

Schwarzkreuz
04-24-2014, 07:24 AM
The choice of fonts is excellent here. Your solution for this style of maps realy are well made and interesting to look at. Most 19th Century style maps looks rather fake, which you avoided here.

- Max -
04-25-2014, 06:49 AM
Thanks much! Yea I tried to chose the typography very carefully for this one.

dukehenry
05-01-2014, 09:28 AM
At first glance I thought this was a "real" map. Then I saw it in full size and realized my error.

Great job, looks quite authentic!

- Max -
05-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Thanks Dukehenry!