PDA

View Full Version : March 2014 Entry - The Ballad of the Bonny Bards Booty

Cunning Cartographer
03-20-2014, 02:11 PM
Started this today, had a play around until I pinned something down I was happy with. This one page adventure gives both instructions to the GM of what events/locations will take place, but also contains a handout to cut out from the page for the players with clues/the song. It all needs a little more work and is a really early rough.

I also need to play around the the fonts to make sure they print well and are legible (plus fixing a hell of a lot of typos :P ). When I've laid in the main areas I'm going to start putting in the detail for the piece of paper and redoing the images. I'm considering keeping it purely black and white as I don't really want to throw textures all over it and think I prefer a simpler/more elegant style.

### LATEST WIP ###

The_Buce
03-20-2014, 03:18 PM
This is AWESOME! I want to play :D

Cunning Cartographer
03-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Thanks Buce :)

Really got into this tonight so kept at it!

### LATEST WIP ###

Cunning Cartographer
03-21-2014, 02:01 PM
More tweaking. Smaller fonts (appears previous winners have gotten away with a 8pt font, so I tried it out. I think it's still legible enough without having to try too hard.

### LATEST WIP ###

madcowchef
03-21-2014, 02:39 PM
Without the ability to print anything I'm just going to guess at weather mine is legible. Three columns of text on a letter sized page doesn't seem a stretch at all, I've seen that on plenty of newsletters and the like. I like your follow the bouncing ball style text the x to eggs is a bit of a stretch for me maybe if you where to write it in some more ambiguous ye olde style it would work better?

Cunning Cartographer
03-21-2014, 04:51 PM
I'm hoping linking it with "the Giant Rock" = "the Giant Roc" might clue them in, maybe something more like "hid my treasure where the x mark the spot"? so it just sounds more like bad spelling :)

madcowchef
03-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Maybe disc world it and have ecks mark the spot? Perhaps I'm just being obtuse about it.

Cunning Cartographer
03-21-2014, 11:47 PM
Yeh but in Discworld "Ecks" is a reference to an actual location, wouldn't really have a reference in this situation so wouldn't make much sense. I'll think on it more though :)

madcowchef
03-22-2014, 12:46 AM
Well all the other puns are great, that's the only one I had any trouble with, so its probably just me being slow on the uptake.

arsheesh
03-26-2014, 01:42 AM
I really dig that this is a full fledged adventure. And kudos for the player cut-out, that was brilliant.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Cunning Cartographer
03-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Thanks arsheesh :)

So I tried out a treasure map/parchment background, but still sticking within the more monotone look, and I kinda preferred it. Just not sure now whether to go with a colour wash on the main images.

### LATEST WIP ###

arsheesh
03-26-2014, 07:08 PM
I like it. If you do keep the parchment I think a color wash would look nice. But honestly it's fine the way it is as well.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Cunning Cartographer
03-28-2014, 11:10 PM
Still need to proof read for typos and have two final images to complete (the talking stone and the final nest). Pretty happy with the final look, the hatching shading is a huge step away from what I normally do, but I feel it works for a more monochrome map. Also changed the second verse of the song so that it is a better clue for that part of the adventure, where previously it was more of a description of the location and not helpful at all.

### LATEST WIP ###

Cunning Cartographer
04-01-2014, 09:46 PM
### LATEST WIP ###

Calling this finished for this challenge. Finished all the illustrations, re-wrote some text and changed around the riddles (cut out) so that they made more sense as clues for the adventure/overland dungeon/call it what you will. Got a chance to print it out and I'm happy with the legibility of the font at smaller scale (glad I didn't go any smaller though!). Very much enjoyed this challenge and it was a nice break away from the typical battlemaps I normally do.

I may try making a coloured version for the official OPD but i do really like the ink on parchment effects.

jkat718
04-02-2014, 04:43 PM
Two errors: After the 4d6 table, there should be a comma following the word "beyond," and the apostrophe you added in the second paragraph should go before the "s," not after it...I think. The way you have it implies the multiple possessive, not the singular. If you want it that way, then you're good.

Cunning Cartographer
04-02-2014, 05:20 PM
### LATEST WIP ###

Thanks :) I presume you mean the Bard's Treasure and not the Bards' Treasure. Also fixed the missing comma after Beyond.

jkat718
04-02-2014, 11:14 PM
Well...yes, that needed an apostrophe switch as well, but I meant after the word "group" in "The group's journey begins..."