PDA

View Full Version : (WIP) Overland Map

tribalxgecko
03-20-2014, 08:48 PM
Let me state upfront that I am a newb at this. But needing maps for a Pathfinder game I run, I figured I might as well start learning. Anywho, this is a map I have in progress. Back in 1998 I drew the original map for a campaign I ran. 16 years later I was cleaning out the attic and there it was, stuffed in a paper protector sleeve at the bottom of a trunk. So, instead of starting from scratch, I figured that would make a great jumping point for a map I needed. But the more I looked at it, the less impressed I was. So, I took a picture of the section I needed (it is actually 12 sections in size), slapped it into GIMP, and went to town. This is what I have so far. This map is actually for a sky realm, where the clouds are 'islands' floating around. Down below is a massive void of red, black, and gray swirling fog (they have no idea what is down there). But yeah, like I said, first try doing this on the comp, so be nice ;P I would love some input or ideas though. I am having a hard time trying to give it that 3d feel so that it looks like a floating island. I hope to put in some more texture too. I suppose I am having fun, so there is that at least. Thanks for looking.

madcowchef
03-20-2014, 09:14 PM
The area below is currently more of an eye drawer than your main map, I'd darken and desaturated it so its less of a focal point. The rocks under the land mass could be textured and shadowed to help give depth. Your very consistent in your perspective with the land trees and mountains, I think that is working good for you. I'm looking forward to seeing it with the water features in.

tribalxgecko
03-20-2014, 11:41 PM
Thanks, madcowchef. Once you said that the area under the islands was a bit of an eyesore, I noticed it more and totally agreed. I replaced it with a fog. I plan to lighten it up a bit more and add in a bit of redish tint. That aside, I cleaned up some edges, added a bit of color to the mountains, and started putting in the water. I will have more updates soon, but 3rd shift is a bummer, and I am off to work.

madcowchef
03-20-2014, 11:47 PM
That's a big improvement over the first! I'd tinker with you textures a bit, consider adding some highlights and shadows to the edges of your land or where it meets your lakes and streams, but looks like you are making good progress.

tribalxgecko
03-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Bit of an update. Some obvious changes. Plan on working on the lighting some more, and putting in small towns and such next.

madcowchef
03-25-2014, 01:29 PM
This is looking quite fun. I don't think any player would complain about getting a handout like that. The vegetation growing down the cliffs works especially well, very pleasing to the eye. The main improvement I can think of is the balance between ink lined features and texture like or "painted" seems inconsistent. I think picking one or the other would help unify the map a bit more, but would also probably be a lot of work at this point.

tribalxgecko
03-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Yeah, I noticed the issue between lining and painting as well, but I merged all the layers before doing the shadows and minor stuff without thinking about it at the time. So swapping it out would be a huge pain now. But I figure this is really more of a learning experience more than anything. And I will have more maps and plenty to do, so think I will try 'painting' them in next time just to see, sort of like I did with the crater area.

tribalxgecko
03-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Think I am pretty much finished on this one. Learned a lot, which was the main goal. And it will work great for what I needed. I think I will do one of the whole continent / island next, instead of just a small section. Thanks for the input & Help Madcowchef!

Raptori
03-27-2014, 09:18 PM
Very nicely done :)