PDA

View Full Version : Child Commission.

Domino44
03-26-2014, 01:27 PM
I don't know if this is something anyone would want to try or not but I've had this idea for a while. There could be a challenge where either a kid would commission a map or the mapmakers participating in the challenge could let their childlike imagination run free. I got this idea when my little brother designed a map he wanted me to make, it had one island that had 20 suns! In this challenge the normal "rules" of mapmaking can be broken. For example a river could act against the rules of nature, they could swirl all over the map or simply break off wherever they wanted to. I would name this river 'Anti River Police" :).

I don't know if anyone would want to try this but I thought it was a cool enough idea to post. :)

madcowchef
03-26-2014, 01:44 PM
I really like the idea of doing some work for kids especially. Have to spread the love and joy of map making to hook the youngin's early.

Slylok
03-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Now this is a good idea! I'd love to see it / participate.

Lingon
03-26-2014, 03:04 PM
This would be really fun! Great idea. I would participate.

jkat718
03-31-2014, 06:06 AM
Count me in, if you do end up doing this!

Pineapple
04-03-2014, 07:56 AM
I'm a middle school teacher and mapping newb. I would love to take a stab at this. I think it would be most fun to actually have a child "commission" the art, if that ends up being possible.

Slylok
04-03-2014, 08:41 AM
I'm a middle school teacher and mapping newb. I would love to take a stab at this. I think it would be most fun to actually have a child "commission" the art, if that ends up being possible.

:idea: I'm not sure what type of class you teach, but if it's along the lines of art, history, science, creative writing or something where this could be applied then you may be in a perfect spot to offer some extra credit for students who want to be creative, learn to communicate thier ideas to an artist, and see their creations come to life. Or they might want to make it themselves.

For this to work we'd have to have enough cartographer's willing to set aside time and commit to the challenge for each child that wants to participate. Then you would take that list of committed cartographers and assign them to a student or let them go through the process of choosing the one they want. After that they would communicate their vision to their cartographer by starting a thread on this site. (This would be a great way to see how other cartographers handle their workflow.) The thread continues until the student gives their stamp of approval for the map or the time expires.

Potential problems:
- internet access for the kids. (are school computers and scanners available for use?)
- parents may be skeptical of online communication with strangers. (communication should take place on a public forum like this one.)
- not enough cartographers for students who want to participate or vice versa.
- a child or cartographer may give up mid contest for whatever reason.

It has a lot of moving parts, but if it could be pulled off i think it would be really fun and a great learning experience for students/ future cartographers/ artists.
Just thought i'd throw this out there since it popped into my head.

madcowchef
04-03-2014, 12:24 PM
I like Slylok's idea, ts is really interesting. Perhaps too complicated for an easy contest its a great overview for a the logistics of one method to do this, and I don't myself have any quick ways to simplify it.

Pineapple
04-03-2014, 02:03 PM
I love that as a way to get the kids involved in mapping Slylok. I would love to do that with anyone willing. I'm sure I could find a group of kids. I'm the middle school math teacher, but our school prides itself on arts-integration, meaning we try to bring the arts into all the core content areas to improve the learning.

I think there are some pitfalls in terms of using it as a challenge. It would be hard for anyone who was paired with a student who had poor communication skills or was just finicky or slow to respond. Or, as you pointed out, either the kid or the cartographer may give up mid-challenge, which would be disappointing.

We do have internet access at the school and enough computers to make it possible for kids to post here. Maybe we could just try to organize it as a fun activity the school/forum, not so much as a contest.

madcowchef
04-03-2014, 03:38 PM
We need a new badge for jr. cartographers and their map buddies.

Domino44
04-03-2014, 07:29 PM
I love the idea of seeing kid's maps, that is something I would really be excited about.

madcowchef
04-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Math and maps go together like peanut butter and jelly. Geometer, distances, projection types, deviations for magnetic north, basically a representation of numeric values for navigation. It would not be hard to find a link between a math class and maps.

Azelor
04-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Math and maps go together like peanut butter and jelly. Geometer, distances, projection types, deviations for magnetic north, basically a representation of numeric values for navigation. It would not be hard to find a link between a math class and maps.

It seems like your talking about educational maps. IMO, a good idea but it's not the same as a child map.

madcowchef
04-04-2014, 08:27 PM
I was just commenting on pineapples school connection to mathematics. I wasn't suggesting we start a educational map project, I'd probably learn more than the kids if we did that.

Edit to aviod double post: I'm beginning to wonder about the title of this thread every time I see it it gets more humorous. I'm wondering if we really want to commission children. What would they do? You take them with you so you can have an excuse to talk to single mothers at the park?

Pineapple
04-08-2014, 12:39 PM
Let's keep the conversation going about this. It might be too close to the end of the school year to effectively plan something and get enough participants before May/June, but I would love to open the school year with an activity related to this next year.

I already know our kids need more experience with maps, not just from the standpoint of art and math but also from a basic life skills perspective.

If you imagine being a cartographer paired up with a 13-year-old, what would you envision the project looking like?

What if we use some of the younger students and you're paired up with someone who's 8 or 9? I'm almost certain I could get participants either way.

jkat718
04-14-2014, 03:54 AM
There is an episode of Face Off (On the SyFy channel) where (very good) amateur makeup artists are tasked to create children's "monsters," based off of their drawings. That's basically how I picture this happening.