PDA

View Full Version : Trying something new here

NedS298
03-28-2014, 10:59 PM
Well, as the title says, I'm trying something new. I've been playing around in a terrain generator I found called L3DT which doesn't give such good results on its own but when combined with Photoshop (Oil Paint filter and saturation) it gives you something like this:

Obviously this isn't a map as such but I've thought about using it as the basis for one. What does everyone think?

Slylok
03-28-2014, 11:34 PM
I can see the appeal. could turn out to be a cool map if you stuck with that sort of soft swirly style throughout the rest of the elements of the map.

Domino44
03-28-2014, 11:36 PM
It has a very cool feel to it, almost like something someone would see in a dream.

NedS298
03-28-2014, 11:46 PM
Yeah, that's the feel I was going for; it reminds me of an impressionist painting with all the swirls

Tracker
03-29-2014, 01:42 AM
Hello:
Good use of the filter. I would love to see th end result.

Tracker

Caenwyr
03-29-2014, 04:27 AM
What I would do (but I'm kind of a freak when it comes to that) is run the thing through Wilbur a few times. The basic terrain is just fantastic, with a few erosion cycles and some sliced-in rivers this will a full out killer terrain. I would LOVE to see that. (See? I'm a freak!)

Lingon
03-29-2014, 04:27 AM
Interesting stuff. I've never thought PS's oil filter looks like oils, but it is a cool effect. I think this could become really good. Labeling it looks like it could be pretty difficult, but if you pull it off you'll have something really unique.

NedS298
03-29-2014, 08:30 AM

There's my progress so far; to list a few things, I'm not very happy with the amount of progress I actually made in the first place. That's always a big problem. Second, I'm not content with the rivers (they look a bit fat); and finally, I've got no idea how to keep a common visual theme between the landscape itself and the labels.

PugnacityD
03-30-2014, 11:43 PM
The rivers look fine, though you could thin them out a little bit. The mountains give a metallic impression, which has the potential to be very evocative of the kind of world this is.