PDA

View Full Version : Hello, there. J Digory' Intro

J Digory
08-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi there, everyone. The name's Digory, and I'm an ok artist with a tablet and some decent experience with it. I prefer to use Painter when using my tablet, but I am VERY comfortable in Fireworks when doing graphics.
I play rpg games of the home-brewed variety, and I love creating the rules and the worlds that my friends and I adventure into, but for all my artistic ability, I really suck at maps. Badly I tried making a map and came up with the first attachment. It sucks. And it took me forever.
Well, I bought some software to help me out, and it didn't get any better. *sad, sad laugh*
The second attachment was my attempt with Fractal Mapper and many hours spent. Anyway, I came here to learn some techniques and to see some great examples of quality maps that don't look like they were handed out with an NES rpg game.

RPMiller
08-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Wecome to the Guild Digory! Great first post with maps and everything. :D

NeonKnight
08-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

Tancread
08-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Hey! I liked the maps in NES roleplaying games. Sigh. Anyway the second one looks ok to me. Anyhow I am on the wrong side of the learning curve myself, I use a tablet for cleaning up photos, but doing maps and illustrations is new to me as well and this site has been full of great tutorials and help. I hope you find it as useful as I have so far!

J Digory
08-04-2008, 02:33 PM
I just don't want to MAKE the maps that should have been in NES role-playing games.

Steel General
08-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Welcome aboard!

Turgenev
08-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Welcome aboard, J Digory.

J Digory
08-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Ok, here is a sample from the same map idea that I attempted to do in Painter. Some elements of it I am happy with, but it is very much lacking compared to what I would actually like to achieve.

They are both small sections of the map, but it's really the only section I had anything interesting on. hahaha The second one is a closer shot of the same part.

Ah, thanks for the welcome, everyone.

ravells
08-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Welcome to the Guild Digory and thanks for the mini bio!

Midgardsormr
08-10-2008, 08:21 PM
First of all, the difference in quality between the first two maps you posted and that new slice is huge.

Now, if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend you take a look at Sirith's tutorial here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1467

Welcome, and enjoy yourself!