PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Area - First Post

Tensen01
08-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Howdy all, I stumbled across this site just as I started working on a map of the Burning Wheel campaign I'm in.

Done in Pen on paper lol. I have no idea how to do any of this bumpmapping or topographical stuff that so many people on here do... I'd love to, I just don't know how.

This is the starter map just to give me and the group, an idea of where everything is and a detailed layout of this world we've been playing in for a year already.

It's very rough and I'm in the process of cleaning it up.

torstan
08-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Now that's a very nice first map post. Looks good so far. Like the dev art page too. From that, it looks like you do a bit of computer art too. Which program? I'm sure people here will be more than happy to teach you all there is to know about bump-mapping, but I'm afraid I just do hand-drawn stuff so can't help you too much there. I'll happily chip in if you have any Gimp queries that I can answer though. Oh, and welcome to the guild.

Tensen01
08-04-2008, 05:48 PM
I use Photoshop CS2 ver.9 PRO exclusively.

I don't mind hand-drawn for the atual, at-the-table map, but I would love to eventually have a colored, realistic-looking map too.

Arcosian Peninnsula cleaned up lineart, no markings

Ascension
08-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Looks pretty good, those fjord-like inlets rock.

Ghalev
08-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Done in Pen on paper lol. I have no idea how to do any of this bumpmapping or topographical stuff that so many people on here do... I'd love to, I just don't know how.

In the meantime, your use of traditional media elevates your map to levels of gorgeosity and authenticity currently impossible for most digital methods. That's a very lovely map, something to be proud of.

Midgardsormr
08-04-2008, 06:59 PM
I agree. I am particularly impressed by the detail of your coastline.

Tensen01
08-04-2008, 07:09 PM
I agree. I am particularly impressed by the detail of your coastline.

Yeah, the GM kept saying "No, craggier, CRAGGIER!" until I got to there and he was "Yeah, that works... for the scale"

if I ever zoom in you're gonna get even more crags.

I'm glad everyone likes... I wasn't sure how well a hand-drawn, not terribly detailed map would go down on here, I was actually embarassed to put it up.

Here's a general scale idea.

Midgardsormr
08-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Never be embarassed. I'm sure if you went back and saw the first WIP image I put up, you'd have nothing but confidence! Not that I'm a whiz now, but considering where I started...

Redrobes
08-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Oh yeah thats real craggy. Welcome - like the map - esp rivers. No need to call in the river police here.

Tensen01
02-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Necro'd

Unfortunately the game has been on hiatus for the past several months but I came across the map and thought I'd do something more with it.

So here's a kind of old-fashioned map look for it.

Not sure where to go from here... but I would like to do more with it.

Steel General
02-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Not sure of the scale, so unless you were going to add forests or some otehr kind of terrain, I'd just leave it as is...which just happens to be damn cool! :)

joćo paulo
02-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Thank you for resurrect this topic because I had not seen him :)
However a beautiful map.

Tensen01
02-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Not sure of the scale, so unless you were going to add forests or some otehr kind of terrain, I'd just leave it as is...which just happens to be damn cool! :)

Scale has been a bit of an issue throughout the game... Or I guess I should say it Hasn't been an issue.

According to jeff(the GM) the penninsula is roughly the size of the European penninsula... Though to me that feels a bit too large...

And thanks. I'm glad everyone likes it

torstan
02-27-2009, 04:56 PM
It is lovely. A few desaturated colours might be a nice touch to move it on, but I actually think this is good as is.

jfrazierjr
02-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Thems some right lovely Fjords!!!!!

Ascension
02-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Count me in as another vote for "leave it as is"...unless you were going to add trees. In which case make em small so that they don't compete with the mountains in terms of size.

Exlor1986
02-28-2009, 04:03 AM
Stupid question from a newbie who's been lurking here recently:

What font did you use for the latest (the old-paper looking) map?

Tensen01
02-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Stupid question from a newbie who's been lurking here recently:

What font did you use for the latest (the old-paper looking) map?

The font I used is called
AquilineTwo
http://www.dafont.com/aquiline-two.font

Tensen01
03-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Alrighty, a small update.

I found a better scan of the map I'd drawn, with all the mountains and stuff.

I've added a few more Places and markers.

Also added a little bit of contrast between Water and land.

I hope to have the map mostly filled out by the end of the week... assuming I can get ahold of the GM and his notes.

Steel General
03-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Very nice, I especially like the worn/weathered/aged edges.

Tensen01
03-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Very nice, I especially like the worn/weathered/aged edges.

Sadly, I can't take credit for the Paper Texture. I got it off of DeviantArt.

Tensen01
03-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Okay, so I'm doing a little bit of work to do a more realistic map of the area.

Haven't added mountains because I'm really not sure how I'm going to do them yet.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Ascension
03-09-2009, 04:37 PM
You could try the tut by Pasis, or do like I do...render clouds, then 2 difference clouds then lighting effects, delete the blacks and dark grays, add a brown color overlay, then lasso the peaks and drag em where you want em. Looks good so far, great fjords.

Tensen01
03-10-2009, 02:29 AM
I'm glad everyone likes the Fjords :D

Okay, so here's a bit more... I think I'm happy with how the mountains turned out. I also added some textures and some Forests.

I would like to add a bit more variation in terrain heights for the flat areas... any idea how to do that?

Ascension
03-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Shaded relief method. This is sort of like sculpting the terrain with your hands but instead you use a brush. What you do is: on the top of the layer stack add a new layer, fill it with 50% gray, set it to overlay, then use the dodge tool to "raise" the land up and the burn tool to "lower" the land. Dodge is like adding white and burn is like adding black.

Tensen01
03-10-2009, 11:38 PM
So, I think I'm happy with the terrain and I've added some political boundries and other markers. But I think the terrain proper is finished.

Ascension
03-11-2009, 02:38 AM
Very stylish, very nice. Might want to make the fonts a tad smaller but I guess it depends on how much labeling you plan to do.

Tensen01
03-11-2009, 03:31 AM
Very stylish, very nice. Might want to make the fonts a tad smaller but I guess it depends on how much labeling you plan to do.

I probably will... But I don't know how much labeling there will be as I only know the names of a few of the Towns on the map.

I'm not too sure about the colors either. But oh well :) It's done and I'm happy with it.

Now on to the next map...

Steel General
03-11-2009, 06:46 AM
You might also consider a slight glow around your text/labels depending on the color used and the background. It can really help.