PDA

View Full Version : March Challenge Voting - Make a 1 Page Dungeon

arsheesh
04-03-2014, 03:12 AM
This month's challenge was to create a "one page dungeon". The precise nature of the dungeon was left up to each contestant. Below you'll find a link to the thumbnails to these entries:

March Challenge Thumbs (http://www.cartographersguild.com/challenge_thumbs.php?type=regular)

Please vote for the map(s) you like best and be sure to be liberal in repping the contestants who participated in the challenge. The voting will last for 4 days and the winner shall receive a golden compass as well as showers of praise and admiration from all.

eViLe_eAgLe
04-03-2014, 09:33 AM
It's a shame this part of the month has been so busy for me, nontheless, I will be in the real one page dungeon still.
I personally voted for something lovecraftian and Behold the Cliche.

ravells
04-03-2014, 11:02 AM
The graphic design choices on a lot of the entries are at such a high standard. Great work all!

madcowchef
04-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Some really good entries. I try to limit myself to two votes always (because otherwise I'd just start voting left and right).

I went with he Ballad of the Bonny Bards Booty for my number one pick. Its use of the map in the background to follow the adventure was clever and very well executed, the story was interesting, and sadly probably because of my pro-pirate bias.

My second was something Lovecraftian, the map was excellent and very clear at scale, the lay out pleasing to the eye and the relentlessness with which it stayed on theme admirable (in both art and the story). Clearly though he hasn't done it in a long time Timallen should immediately take up RPGs again.

Other Amazing entries which I could have just as easily voted for:
Into the Lycans Den- What can you say about Arsheesh's illustrations but wow? Beautiful, simple, and the all black and white is probably in better keeping with the official competition than the parchment backgrounds on many of the others (mine very much included).

In the Vault of the Howling Palace- The writing style Cirias chose really grabbed my attention and made me want to run this adventure as a good narrative can. The illustrations were well chosen and the over all layout good. The map is simple and to the point, if I have one complaint about the entry its the small colored icons used on the map, they seem out of character.

Mirror Mirror on the Wall- Excellent quality over all. Both the writing and graphics where well done. The choice to place the map dead center is a nice attention grabber, though it does make the text a bit fiddly. I really like the mix of puzzle solving and action in this one, would undoubtedly make it fun to play.

Cunning Cartographer
04-03-2014, 03:07 PM
I went with Into the Lycans Den. I liked the simplicity of it, both in style and adventure design but it was visual and mechanics enough to work as a nice little adventure hook.

The black on white just works really well and is very clean, in comparison to some of the others that I feel went a little too overboard with the backgrounds and with so much text it can start to detract when you have so much else going on and I think there were font issues that weren't fully resolved.

I will say I did really like the Lovecraft vibe from Timallen and I do really like the hand drawn map style so a notable mention from me.

Good job all.

EricPoehlsen
04-03-2014, 03:58 PM
You made voting not easy. Some great entries amongst the contestants. My votes went to the projects of Tim Allen and madcowchef. Both had the cleanest execution.

I would like to let you know, which minimal aspects made my decision ...
@anomiecoalition: The font seems slightly to crisp against the background
@Cirias: Your text, in parts is a little bit too bleached
@Cunning Cartographer: Do not place the handout which has to be cut from the page in the center
@Tad Davis: ... well I don't give more than two votes at this small panel of competitors and I liked the other two better. Sorry.

arsheesh
04-03-2014, 04:21 PM
This was a tough one. My own top three were Cunning Cartographer's The Ballad of the Bonny Bards Booty (great title, original idea and lovely picks), timallen's Something Lovecraftian (I just love the tentacled border, the colors and the overall theme) and Madcowchef's Behold the Cliches (great images!). All three deserve plaudits but I decided to limit myself to one vote. Timallen's won out by a small margin for me due to the tentacles. Good luck everyone!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

kirkspencer
04-03-2014, 06:18 PM
This was hard, and it turned on little things for me. (I only gave one vote. If I gave more than one I'd have to give a lot of votes.) The bard lost for the cut-out in the middle. Lovecraft had the no-hint total party wipe room (the chapel that locks everyone in once someone reaches the fireplace), but was a beautiful map. I am running an adventure in which I want to insert the howling, but the artistic fading makes it too hard on my aged and worn eyes (not that they were that great when I was younger).

I almost didn't vote. I'm embarrassed to judge, in any way, those who do so much better work than I do. Great job to all.

TheHoarseWhisperer
04-03-2014, 06:51 PM
I only gave one vote (I always try to give only one). My vote went to Cunning Cartographer's Bonny Bard. If I'd voted for a second map, it would have been madcowchef's entry.

THW

xpian
04-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Great entries. I fell ill and was unable to finish in time, but I'll post more as I put the map together, and get an earlier start on the next challenge.

timallen
04-03-2014, 08:29 PM
It was the Lycans den and the Bonny Bard for me. The Bard because I also am one of those suckers for all things piratey, and arsheesh because I sooo wish I could draw like that!

Cunning Cartographer
04-04-2014, 04:51 AM
I do find it interesting how the cutout on my Bonny Bard entry seems to be dividing some people; some people like the idea and some people really seem to dislike it (not that I mind, we all have our own tastes). It absolutely wont sway me for editing for my final One Page Dungeon contest entry as I wanted to try something different and, well, I've never seen anyone use part of the page as an actual player prop and I pretty much designed the entire thing with that in mind.

Repped the entries, but can't give it to Arsheesh or Timallen because you guys already had rep from me at some point (I really should start spreading it out more huh...)

arsheesh
04-04-2014, 05:28 AM
I do find it interesting how the cutout on my Bonny Bard entry seems to be dividing some people; some people like the idea and some people really seem to dislike it (not that I mind, we all have our own tastes). It absolutely wont sway me for editing for my final One Page Dungeon contest entry as I wanted to try something different and, well, I've never seen anyone use part of the page as an actual player prop and I pretty much designed the entire thing with that in mind.

Repped the entries, but can't give it to Arsheesh or Timallen because you guys already had rep from me at some point (I really should start spreading it out more huh...)

That's OK CC, appreciate the thought. For the record, the cut-out scored points for originality in my book :).

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

fabio p
04-04-2014, 06:39 AM
Cograts to all the competitors, the choice is almost impossible this month.
Relying on emotional feelings, since I have no remark at all on the great artistic execution of all the finished entries, I’m voting for "Behold the Cliches" by Madcowchef, for the great variety of colourful drawings that awake the child in me, and for “Into the Lycans Den” by arsheesh, for its extremely elegant black and white overall design.

EricPoehlsen
04-04-2014, 08:31 AM
I really liked the idea of the cut-out, just not in the center of the page ;)

Cunning Cartographer
04-04-2014, 09:08 AM
I really liked the idea of the cut-out, just not in the center of the page ;)

Yeh that's fair enough :) I went for the cutout being the main component and the adventure revolving around it and the general composition of the page itself, I'm really happy with it either way! From a DM perspective I don't think it matters too much as I personally would print two of the pages anyway, one for the player cutout and one for myself (so that I also have a cutout).

arsheesh
04-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Congratulations to timallen for winning this month's challenge with his wonderful Something Lovecraftian entry!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
04-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Nice job, Tim!

Bogie
04-07-2014, 12:57 PM
Congrats Tim! Well done!

Cunning Cartographer
04-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Well done Tim :)

madcowchef
04-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Go Tim! A wonderful piece that brings back good memories of the repeated need to make characters! Thanks to all the other participants for the fun I had viewing your entries, and thank you everyone who helped me vastly improve my own and learn something in the process.

timallen
04-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Thanks! I was actually surprised by this; I felt Into the Lycans Den had better graphics and deserved the win more than me. That being said, I'm not giving back my golden compass! :)